Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

CVagts posted:

Triple H is already in.

How did I miss this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yea i'd say the best time was from early 90's - 97 when he was crow sting was his best chance at going to WWF and being treated like a big deal. He sees that jericho and Booker were treated well enough.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RBX posted:

Yea i'd say the best time was from early 90's - 97 when he was crow sting was his best chance at going to WWF and being treated like a big deal. He sees that jericho and Booker were treated well enough.

Jericho was actually treated like crap when he first came in backstage while getting a pretty decent midcard push.

Booker was specifically the guy Sting saw them mistreat and was why he decided not to come aboard.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yea I know that, but as of now I feel they both turned out better than I thought they would. Despite Booker's commentary (I love it).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You would have to be living with blinders on to work in the same company with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall and then abloobloo about people getting mistreated in the WWF.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, if he went to the WWF during the invasion he probably would have been treated like a joke, or at least secondary to the real (read: WWF) stars.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Sting is the reason I grew up with a weird phobia about keeping my knee straight. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endorph posted:

To be fair, if he went to the WWF during the invasion he probably would have been treated like a joke, or at least secondary to the real (read: WWF) stars.

Like DDP?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CVagts posted:

Dr. Death was very close last year
I'm not 100% sure how voting works, but I believe it's based on regional voting.
Do Japanese guys really care that much about Dr. Death?

His American work sure isn't Hall of Fame worthy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm not 100% sure how voting works, but I believe it's based on regional voting.
Do Japanese guys really care that much about Dr. Death?

His American work sure isn't Hall of Fame worthy.

Dr. Death is a legend in Japan, as far as I know, he was involved in some amazing (and terrifying) matches with huge stars.

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Is Brock Lesnar's book worth reading?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dr Death was with AJPW when it was the "best promotion in the world."

Johny Ace had five star matches in this company during this period. I'm pretty sure that people look back on it quite fondly. He's the biggest gaijin (aside from Johnny Ace, lol) that isn't in. He's the odd man out I guess.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

warbrides posted:

I've basically heard it was poo poo.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I've basically heard it was poo poo.

I too have heard this. I heard you would get more in depth info from his wikipedia page. But I haven't read it myself.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

warbrides posted:

Most of it was bad. The interesting stuff was the lawsuit against WWE and how they would mess with hi, but that's not enough of the book to make it interesting.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

warbrides posted:

He paints himself as a simple man who likes simple things like working on his farm but also a man who just wants to do whatever he can to earn as much money as possible as fast as he can because he likes having a shitload of money and being rich as gently caress.

Most of the stuff you'd be interested in is completely glossed over with the excuse "And I don't remember what happened at X because I was out of my mind on all the painkillers I had to take to keep myself from curling up and dying during my WWE career". Seriously, every single time it gets to him doing something major in the WWE it's this excuse, so there aren't any interesting details.

The latter half of the book is about his MMA career and it's pretty much "I like it because I get to smash guys faces in for real and get paid, this is awesome I am the baddest man on the planet" with a chapter about how he nearly died of colonitis. He takes the time to proclaim Canada's healthcare system as being third world and almost killing him, and telling how he had to cross the border in agony to get to a Real American Hospital to save his own life.

There, I just saved you reading the entire thing.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 12, 2011

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
Whats the weirdest (moderately true) thing you've heard about Vince McMahon?

I'd love to hear some responses as I find his life so unusual and weird its just fascinating.

I remember hearing something about how the floors of the WWE HQ would stink like tuna for days because Vince would go on tuna binges and work out like crazy. Also remember reading in I think ring of hell, that he would do tons and tons of coke in the 80's and brag about not being able to become addicted.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sexy_trash posted:

I think nothing will be weirder than his hate for "Junior".

I also hear he'll try to kill you if you call him Lupton.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sexy_trash posted:

In Bret Hart's book McMahon spends a bunch of time drunk and high as gently caress, including one night in a hotel room stripping down and wrestling with all the guys.

There's one story in there where they're all drunk in a bar somewhere, and somehow Bret and Jim Neidhart get dared into performing their tag team finisher on him when someone else makes out they're going to do theirs and wusses out in the last minute.

This leads to Bret clotheslining McMahon and bouncing his head off the floor, and the guy is so drunk he doesn't give a gently caress.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rapetimus Prime posted:

This leads to Bret clotheslining McMahon and bouncing his head off the floor, and the guy is so drunk he doesn't give a gently caress.

Didn't one of the guys go rough on him when they were wrestling in Ric Flair's hotel room and Vince told him, "I'll remember that" and fired the guy in a week?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

Didn't one of the guys go rough on him when they were wrestling in Ric Flair's hotel room and Vince told him, "I'll remember that" and fired the guy in a week?

I'm not remembering that, but I definitely remember Bret quoting Vince as saying "Hitman! You owe me a beer!" after Bret gave him the Hart attack.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

I'm not remembering that, but I definitely remember Bret quoting Vince as saying "Hitman! You owe me a beer!" after Bret gave him the Hart attack.

X-Pac said in his shoot that during either the plane ride from hell or the initial flight to Europe, Vince was wrestling Angle or Brock in the isle of the plane while it was in the air!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Yeah, I should have quoted the hotel scene. It was before Vince and co. decided to piss in Flair's bed. Someone goes rough on Vince and Vince says something like, "I'll remember that." It might have been Paul Roma haha.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think of all the hosed up things, his interview where he all but confirms that he slept with his mother is the most :stare:worthy

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
making GBS threads himself and then chasing Johnny Ace around with his defiled underclothes on a stick trying to make him throw up because he loves seeing Johnny Ace throw up.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Read everything here.

http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/11/interview-with-vince-mcmahon-part-1.html

http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/11/interview-with-vince-mcmahon-part-2.html

The part that is burned into my brain:

VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON, DAMMIT posted:

Anyway, I remember the two of us being so curious about each other's bodies, but not knowing what the hell to do. We would go into the woods and get naked together. It felt good. And for some reason I wanted to put crushed leaves into her. Don't know why, but I remember that.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
edit: well, poo poo, look at you all in my brain ^^^

Jerusalem posted:

I think of all the hosed up things, his interview where he all but confirms that he slept with his mother is the most :stare:worthy

The whole Playboy interview is loving horrifying. I have no idea if he was just trying to be edgy, or if he was being completely legit, but holy mother of gently caress there was some terrible poo poo in it.

Here, look everyone.

quote:

PLAYBOY: Still, you beat the court-martial and even graduated. By then you had stolen cars and run moonshine. You'd had a drink. You'd had your first joint. You'd lost your virginity.

MCMAHON: [Pauses] That was at a very young age. I remembered, probably in the first grade, being invited to a matinee film with my stepbrother and his girlfriends, and I remember them playing with me. Playing with my penis, and giggling. I thought that was pretty cool. That was my initiation into sex. At that age you don't necessarily achieve an erection, but it was cool. At around the same time there was a girl my age who was, in essence, my cousin. Later in life she actually wound up marrying that rear end in a top hat Leo Lupton, my stepfather! Boy, this sounds like Tobacco Road. Anyway, I remember the two of us being so curious about each other's bodies but not knowing what the hell to do. We would go into the woods and get naked together. It felt good. And for some reason I wanted to put crushed leaves into her. Don't know why, but I remember that. I don't remember the first time I had intercourse, believe it or not.

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?23557-Vince-McMahon-s-Playboy-2001-interview

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sexy_trash posted:

X-Pac said in his shoot that during either the plane ride from hell or the initial flight to Europe, Vince was wrestling Angle or Brock in the isle of the plane while it was in the air!

Normal person: Hmm, what to do on this plane trip? Hey Brock! Do you wanna wrestle? Betcha cant take me!

:stare:
Never mind.

Vince McMahon: Hmm, what to do? Brock! Lets wrestle! Ill take you down!!

What Im saying here is VKM is loving crazy and you cannot discount even the wildest stories about him because the man just doesn't give a gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On a related tangent, didn't Mr. Perfect get fired because he was ragging on Brock pretty hard - Brock didn't want to deal with any of that poo poo and asked Heyman what to do, Heyman said,"Nip it in the bud now or they will ALWAYS gently caress with you!" and the next thing you know, Taz is looking up from his in-flight magazine to say,"Welp, here come the pain!"

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Jerusalem posted:

On a related tangent, didn't Mr. Perfect get fired because he was ragging on Brock pretty hard - Brock didn't want to deal with any of that poo poo and asked Heyman what to do, Heyman said,"Nip it in the bud now or they will ALWAYS gently caress with you!" and the next thing you know, Taz is looking up from his in-flight magazine to say,"Welp, here come the pain!"

lol, i remember a hilarous alternate version of that story being a drunk kurt and brock getting into a fight over who was the better amateur wrestler. those Minnesota boys I tell ya!

LordPants posted:

making GBS threads himself and then chasing Johnny Ace around with his defiled underclothes on a stick trying to make him throw up because he loves seeing Johnny Ace throw up.

ummm.... what???

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
By contrast, the best Vince McMahon story was him beating up Dracula to stop his son from being afraid.

The craziest Vince McMahon story is that the man exists, and through it all managed to bring wrestling into the mainstream, decimate any competition that dared stand in front of him, and even became one of the best heels of his era, despite the fact that he couldn't wrestle worth a poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Normal person: Hmm, what to do on this plane trip? Hey Brock! Do you wanna wrestle? Betcha cant take me!

:stare:
Never mind.

Vince McMahon: Hmm, what to do? Brock! Lets wrestle! Ill take you down!!

What Im saying here is VKM is loving crazy and you cannot discount even the wildest stories about him because the man just doesn't give a gently caress.

Yea I don't care how drunk/coked out I get, if I'm ever in a position to ask Brock Lesnar if he wants to wrestle, all the dude needs to do is stand up to remind me he's what happens when Aries fucks a Sherman Tank, and I'll be going 'nope, nevermind, sorry to bug you'.

Vince is legitimately insane. Like, I know it's a big 'hur hur Vince is nuts right' joke but I mean this totally seriously, this man has had his brain ruined on hillbilly moonshine and piles of assorted drugs for so long I'm pretty positive if he didn't have millions of dollars, he'd be the dude on the street corner yelling how he needs your quarters to pay the demon cats for safety.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CVagts posted:

By contrast, the best Vince McMahon story was him beating up Dracula to stop his son from being afraid.

Better than that, he told Shane that Dracula was dead. As in he had just gone into that closet and MURDERED Dracula. :)

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Jerusalem posted:

Better than that, he told Shane that Dracula was dead. As in he had just gone into that closet and MURDERED Dracula. :)

i bet he gave him a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BODDDY DROP!
WHATTTTA MANEUVER!!!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

I thought that was Gerald Brisco, not Johnny Ace. Either way, gross.

Vince is a fascinating collection of pathologies, but his fighting spiritu is pretty much used up now, hence him no longer being able to distinguish things that make him laugh v. things that make money. He's more frustrating than anything else these days.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CombineThresher posted:

Vince is a fascinating collection of pathologies, but his fighting spiritu is pretty much used up now, hence him no longer being able to distinguish things that make him laugh v. things that make money. He's more frustrating than anything else these days.

If only he learned how to use that pesky invention known as the phone

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CombineThresher posted:

Oh yes, it was Gerald Brisco. My mistake. :)

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

sexy_trash posted:

Also remember reading in I think ring of hell, that he would do tons and tons of coke in the 80's and brag about not being able to become addicted.

That was literally every rich person or celebrity in the 80s.

sexy_trash posted:

It wasn't Vince or Angle, it was Curt Hennig and Brock Lesnar. It lead to Hennig getting fired. Vince, Steph, and Triple H were not on the plane. The highest ranking WWE staff was Michael Hayes, who got his ponytail cut off by X-Pac.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LordPants posted:

I suspect he realised that making GBS threads himself was embarrassing as gently caress and the only way he could stop people from talking about how stupid he looked was by doing something totally insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Was there ever a video or audio recording of the Playboy interview? Some of the stuff he says just comes off so offhandedly, like "it's unfortunate he died before I could kill him" and all the abuse stuff that he seems to now be okay with? Can you imagine what sexual weirdness Linda's had to put up with for all these years?