Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

My favorite dark roasts:

Shotgun House Brazil Dark Roast
Summer Moon Velvet Blaze (technically a Medium, they make even darker beans if she likes them burnt)
Counter Culture Forty-Two

CC Forty-Two is the easiest to find and makes a great traditional espresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Matt Zerella posted:

I used to go to a Banh Mi place up here in NYC that used Chock Full O Nuts and it was pretty good.

I used to go to Vietnamese places in Dorchester and they used Trung Nguyen, which was excellent as Vietnamese coffee and dreadful on its own (for me at least). I think it’s robusta.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Corb3t posted:

That makes sense, but why does it seem like lighter roasts affect people's stomach's differently than darker roasts? Surely the acidic quality that's brought out in them has an effect?

Edit: The study states that dark roasted coffee is easier on the stomach than light and mild roasts because it produces an ingredient that prevents hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any "low acidity" coffee beans being marketed yet.

Coffee marketed as low acidity is 100% a thing and has been for a long time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Coffee marketed as low acidity is 100% a thing and has been for a long time.

20 years actually. The PSL was introduced in 2003 and it is in fact extremely basic.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Corb3t posted:

That makes sense, but why does it seem like lighter roasts affect people's stomach's differently than darker roasts? Surely the acidic quality that's brought out in them has an effect?
I was only speaking to the caffeine content, I'm not sure how that relates to the acidity, if at all.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

i own every Bionicle posted:

20 years actually. The PSL was introduced in 2003 and it is in fact extremely basic.

lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

i own every Bionicle posted:

:dadjoke:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
10 months out the year I'm going to be a coffee snob but PSL season is pure basic mode for me.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Lawen posted:

Real edit:
I clicked through to the article linked in the video description and it mentioned this place: https://www.portlandcaphe.com/shop. Might give it a shot. Open to other suggestions though.

She great and wonderful, certainly worth supporting

https://pdx.eater.com/2021/4/2/22364047/portland-ca-phe-vietnamese-coffee-shop-opening

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

He’s biased because he has done work for them, but lance has a review of the nanofoamer pro.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r5RmmiF3QFY&si=FCfeUrsH8PXp1TN8

Looks excellent, and easy. Seems like it’ll be the perfect thing for my wife who doesn’t wanna futz with the steam.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'll give an unbiased review when mine comes in :dance:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lawen posted:

Yeah, good call. I kept researching a bit after posting and, while I seldom see chicory coffee explicitly mentioned for Vietnamese coffee, I've seen several references to the yellow Cafe du Monde can being a staple. And I know there's a large Vietnamese immigrant population down around NOLA, so that makes sense. I'll probably order a couple different brands to compare and will put du Monde on the list.

French Truck Coffee makes a good Cafe du Monde-style coffee with chicory that is served at Commander's Palace (it is unimaginatively called Commander's Palace Coffee + Chicory). You can order it in 12oz or 5lb bags pre-ground for using in drip brewers, french presses, or cold brewers. Since I generally make my cold brews in french presses, that's what I usually have it pre-ground for.

Edit: Yeah, given the prevalence of Cafe du Monde at most Asian grocery stores regardless of where you go in the US I would've made a solid guess that it's the staple/standard.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 7, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

French Truck Coffee makes a good Cafe du Monde-style coffee with chicory that is served at Commander's Palace (it is unimaginatively called Commander's Palace Coffee + Chicory). You can order it in 12oz or 5lb bags pre-ground for using in drip brewers, french presses, or cold brewers. Since I generally make my cold brews in french presses, that's what I usually have it pre-ground for.

Edit: Yeah, given the prevalence of Cafe du Monde at most Asian grocery stores regardless of where you go in the US I would've made a solid guess that it's the staple/standard.

I just had 2 bags of coffee from French truck (Colombian Geshia & an Ethiopian) and they were among some of the best bags I’ve ever had.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I feel like the Vietnamese milk coffee at the Vietnamese food places I visit has so much condensed milk that you could probably get away with just using regular non-Vietnamese beans and it’ll taste just as legitimate

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

We tried the Nguyen 50% robusta blend. I thought it was pretty tasty as Vietnamese Iced Coffee and pretty awful black, but I think that's normal for drinkers not used to robusta.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

None of you nerds discuss the 20,000$ espresso machine? I'm disappointed.

I'll start: I want all other manufacturers to copy that drip tray.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I left my buddy unsupervised because I had a meeting and he was staying over at my house for a week.

Every day I showed him my process for making the Encore ESP work with my bambino plus.

16.8g, tamp, puck screen, wdt.

I leave for the meeting and check in with him after.

Motherfucker put 45g in (having weighed them) into the grinder and hosed with the grind settings to bring them into v60 territory. The dick head then gave up and just left a mess and didn't even try to pour a shot.

All of this would be forgivable if he didn't have a Breville Barista Express that he uses loving daily at home.

:psyduck:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Motherfucker put 45g in (having weighed them) into the grinder and hosed with the grind settings to bring them into v60 territory. The dick head then gave up and just left a mess and didn't even try to pour a shot.

:killing:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I left my buddy unsupervised because I had a meeting and he was staying over at my house for a week.

Every day I showed him my process for making the Encore ESP work with my bambino plus.

16.8g, tamp, puck screen, wdt.

I leave for the meeting and check in with him after.

All of this would be forgivable if he didn't have a Breville Barista Express that he uses loving daily at home.

Sounds more like an enemy than a buddy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pull 2 shots x number of days he's staying with, put in a mason jar in the fridge labeled "dumb gently caress juice" and tell him to help himself :angel:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You don't have to pass a test to buy an espresso machine. Most people don't pull anything close to a decent shot at home and are still perfectly happy.

The lesson to be learned here is never loan out your tools

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sounds like a good opportunity to try a new espresso bean since you'll be dialing in again anyways!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My sister was staying with us a couple weeks ago and couldn't handle the Capresso grinder - french press - electric kettle flow. She made a press one morning and drank it all herself and when I went to clean it she'd filled somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the volume of the press with coffee. Like a 1:5 ratio or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know if my new espresso machine is heat pump?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You can just take the coffee, it's free. I have 400 bags of coffee in my outpost.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting my friend some nice coffee beans and a gift card too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My Lagom P-64 just arrived and it looks cool and is very quiet.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Is the Baratza Encore still the only cheapish grinder still worth buying?

Someone asked me about mine but I got it almost 11 years ago for $120 CAD (now up to $200 CAD). At the time there really was no other burr grinders at that price range.

Just realized I bought my Baratza Encore and aside from two burr sleeves needing replacement it's still kicking, but I wanted to know if there's any other cheap burr grinders that are worth considering. Person who asked me isn't a coffee nerd like I am, so thought I should still see if it's the go to.

Though the quality on it is fantastic. Literally the oldest appliance I've bought.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 13, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is the Baratza Encore still the only cheapish grinder still worth buying?

Someone asked me about mine but I got it almost 11 years ago for $120 CAD (now up to $200 CAD). At the time there really was no other burr grinders at that price range.

Just realized I bought my Baratza Encore and aside from two burr sleeves needing replacement it's still kicking, but I wanted to know if there's any other cheap burr grinders that are worth considering. Person who asked me isn't a coffee nerd like I am, so thought I should still see if it's the go to.

Though the quality on it is fantastic. Literally the oldest appliance I've bought.

Eureka Mignon Chrono, with the espresso burrset if doing espresso.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I like my Encore ESP (it adds an espresso range) but it's def a better pour-over grinder than espresso. The espresso range is 1-20, then 21-40 for coarser grinds, using a stepped adjustment. I have yet to pour a decent shot outside of settings 19 and 20, so I can't recommend it for espresso (even if I've successfully poured it), but I can't complain about the burs in regards to pour-over.

What coffee is your buddy trying to make? That'll probably inform the replies a bit better.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MetaJew posted:

My Lagom P-64 just arrived and it looks cool and is very quiet.

Grats! Which burrs did you go for in the end? I found that my SSP Multi-purpose burrs needed a decent amount of seasoning before they started producing great-tasting cups. I put about 3kg (6.6lbs) of beans through it to season it. There was a pretty big difference afterwards.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I'm only using it for v60, is moving from an Encore with the m2 burrset to an Opus a lateral hop?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

RichterIX posted:

If I'm only using it for v60, is moving from an Encore with the m2 burrset to an Opus a lateral hop?

Yes, and it might not even be as good in terms of usability or durability.

Edit: The Ode 2 is where you'd find a substantial upgrade.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
I wish I knew someone with an Ode. I’m worried I won’t like flat burrs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PortobelloPirate posted:

Buy one from Amazon or somewhere with a similar return policy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

Grats! Which burrs did you go for in the end? I found that my SSP Multi-purpose burrs needed a decent amount of seasoning before they started producing great-tasting cups. I put about 3kg (6.6lbs) of beans through it to season it. There was a pretty big difference afterwards.

I agonized over it for a while and eventually chose the Mizen burrs.

I've pulled one espresso shot with it in my Cafelat Robot and made one pour over.

In both cases I think I chose slightly too coarse of a grind but they're both drinkable.

The espresso shot ran really fast but still tastes fine enough. That was with a dark roast that I bought ... months ago now and had decanted into an air tight jar. I think I chose the coarsest grind recommended in the quick start guide.

The pour over was with an Ethiopian light roast, I believe. It was fine, definitely a little under extracted i think. I chose the middle point on the recommended grind range again, the coffee bed looked pretty good. Not as many fines as I've gotten with my Vario.

I guess this will just take some time to figure it out. I'm not sure how much the grind speed matters. I had it on 7 for the espresso, and while the guide said to run pourovers at 3 I forgot to change it..

NOW: Where do I sell my Vario? My wife was not pleased to learn how expensive the Lagom was.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PortobelloPirate posted:

Good call. I tried it and my wife didn’t like it. Most coffee didn’t have enough body and taste like normal “coffee” to her, and I agreed. Back to the virtuoso for us, though I took the Ode to work for my v60 setup.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Hoff posted this

https://youtu.be/8uGGeV8A-BM?si=r-jBKA8v6NNu7AfA

I have a spreadsheet of techniques, and I want to know how applying this concept (immersion vs percolation) fits into the newfangled espresso recipes. Really best suited to a profile-capable like a Decent but reachable if you're willing to tinker.

Sharing some of my notes here in case it's helpful to any other nerds here!

Skipping basic espresso ratios (ristretto / espresso / lungo). Wish a Flair could do huge ratios but I'll keep trying things.

Turbo shot: coarse, 6ish bar, 1:2.5ish ratio. Higher extraction, so light roast is better. Less body but more fruit character and less channeling.
Allongé slightly coarser, 7-8 bar, 1:5 ratio. Same as turbo shot but moreso.
Blooming shot aka Filter 2.0: Also 1:5 but filtered and like 2 minutes of bloom after pre infusion. This is closest to the espresso version of Hoffmann’s infusion video above.
Sprover / Coffee shot: much coarser, 1-2 bar, 1:10 ratio. Like pour over but more texture due to slight pressure and option to skip filter. Can't do it with Flair.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i see he’s teasing the monstrosity that is aeropress XL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I was roasting beans aside from Rwandan for a while up until my last batch and drat they just hit different.