Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, for what it is, IF s2 is good and definitely watchable. It's not DD s1 or JJ s1 but it's definitely better than IF s1, JJ s2 and Defenders S1.

Middle of the road for Netflix Marvel but there's absolutely nothing wrong w/that considering where it started. It definitely one of the best paced Marvel Netflix series.

If it weren't for Spider-Man, I would've easily binged it this weekend.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Retro Futurist posted:

i have a long flight ahead of me and ive downloaded S2. At what point can I expect the usual gratuitous sex scene the Netflix ones always have? I’m going to be in the middle seat so I may want to skip around

Episode 2

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Given the ages of Mary/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch, a civil war that the U.S. intervened in with Stark weapons, and it's made up location in Eurasia, it seems like they have decided to really lean into "Sokovia = Yugoslavia."

Maybe they can untether future MCU Magneto's origin from WW2 and move it to the late 90's Sokovia.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I really have to wonder what kind of weirdo is mandating that these scenes be put in at this point.

zoux posted:

So was IF s2 good or bad.

Also I can't find a corroboration but a site was reporting that a Slashfilm interview (that I couldn't find) with the creative team behind the new Swamp Thing show said the suit is gonna be mostly practical and they're shooting for "hard R"

Looking forward to "gently caress plants" in the trailer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbf the scene in if was extremely tame compared to JJ and cage

Also I didn't catch the date on Mary's discharge papers, but I assumed the us militarys involvement came after age of ultron. Was it before 2012 or whatever on the papers?

site fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 10, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

So was IF s2 good or bad.

Also I can't find a corroboration but a site was reporting that a Slashfilm interview (that I couldn't find) with the creative team behind the new Swamp Thing show said the suit is gonna be mostly practical and they're shooting for "hard R"

It was good.

Pacing + Fight scenes are leaps and bounds better than season 1 (which is a pretty low bar).

It is probably the best paced Netflix show yet. They cut it down to 10 episodes and the script is incredibly tight and moves seamlessly. There aren't 2-3 "filler" episodes in a row like most of the other shows have.

There is a consistent antagonist who is introduced immediately, so it doesn't fall prey to the "surprise REAL antagonist in the second half, but is underdeveloped and less interesting than the original antagonist" problem that many of the other seasons have.

The best character from Season 1 (Harold Meachum) is gone, but the rest of the cast is basically exactly as they were in the second half of season 1. Danny is less of a annoying shithead and more of a neurotic workaholic shithead. Lots more of Colleen and the Meachum kids compared to season 1. Misty has a limited cameo, but is great.

Some people complained about it in season 1, but I kind of love the show's running theme of "Over thousands of years, there have been hundreds of Iron Fists... and Danny Rand is the shittiest one there ever was." That is definitely back in full force.

I have never been impressed by Alice Eve in anything, but she is legitimately amazing as Typhoid Mary. Her choreography and fight scenes are so good that they had to be using a professional body double.

There are some very interesting hooks/hints for season 3 at the end. Make sure you aren't spoiled on them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

Tbf the scene in if was extremely tame compared to JJ and cage

Also I didn't catch the date on Mary's discharge papers, but I assumed the us militarys involvement came after age of ultron. Was it before 2012 or whatever on the papers?

You can't really see the date on the papers, but it is strongly implied that she was there either a few years before or right after the capital was blown up. They mention that she was out on patrol with a peacekeeping force and that she had been discharged somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago.

So, she was either there a few years before AoU during the war that killed Quicksilver and Witch's parents or immediately after during some kind of power vacuum/insurgence from the government collapsing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 10, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More Swamp Thing info, a producer has said that it will be a physical suit and that they're going to be focused on a horror angle with "hard R" content.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm disappointed that Gotham is getting a shortened final season that is jam packed. They have confirmed new villains Magpie, Bane, Man-Bat, Mutant Leader from DKR, Mother, and possibly Ventriloquist. 3 of them alone could be a half season arc or full season arc main bad guy.

They've only confirmed Bane's father, not Bane himself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Oh, man, Chuck Dixon is in it?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Timby posted:

The 8th episode of the upcoming season is literally called I AM BANE

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cocks Cable posted:

Maybe they can untether future MCU Magneto's origin from WW2 and move it to the late 90's Sokovia.

They're gonna have to pretty soon, aren't they? When was the last Magneto origin we saw, was it from XMen: First Class? Even then, I was thinking they were kinda stretching it -- someone old enough to survive the Holocaust is getting to be too old to be a credible antagonist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The next movie is about Phoenix. They can just handwave any aging away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

They're gonna have to pretty soon, aren't they? When was the last Magneto origin we saw, was it from XMen: First Class? Even then, I was thinking they were kinda stretching it -- someone old enough to survive the Holocaust is getting to be too old to be a credible antagonist.

He was a kid and the movie was set in the 70s, then the sequel's the 80s. So they didn't have to worry about it yet then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clone body/deaging/time skip whatever. It's highly doubtful Fassbender will be Magneto by the time the X-Men join the MCU so they can just sort it out whenever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phenotype posted:

Personally, I'd say make him a survivor of the Rwandan or Cambodian genocides. Perhaps Kosovo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if being a Holocaust survivor is something you should take away from Magneto.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know being a Holocaust survivor isn't something you should take away from Magneto.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You just have to keep coming up with ludicrous poo poo to de-age him. Or just kill him. It already makes no sense.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He is a mutant, just say he ages slower. Problem solved.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
World War 2 took place in 1982 now, you're welcome Marvel give me my check. Oh and Captain America was actually frozen in WW1

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
secondary mutation

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Medullah posted:

World War 2 took place in 1982 now, you're welcome Marvel give me my check. Oh and Captain America was actually frozen in WW1

Cap is lucky in that he's got the frozen in ice thing so that makes his association with WWII pretty much locked in. With Magneto unless you add something to his powerset to explain it then you have to write some crazy de-aging or body swap nonsense to keep extending it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Electromagnetic radiation therapy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Cap is lucky in that he's got the frozen in ice thing so that makes his association with WWII pretty much locked in. With Magneto unless you add something to his powerset to explain it then you have to write some crazy de-aging or body swap nonsense to keep extending it.

How about he was a supervillain in the 1970s, but Xavier used his powers to help SHIELD cover up his existence and indeed the existence of mutants entirely, and then Magneto was put in some kind of stasis for the next 40 years, and this is basically how they'll probably get the X-Men into the MCU, isn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
People in real life wear magnetic bracelets because they think it has curative and de-aging properties, his power is "I'm a magnet," it's fine having him be a holocaust survivor forever. If they ever resurrect Xavier in the comics they'll have to retcon when they met (or not, I can't remember what's canon now?)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

People in real life wear magnetic bracelets because they think it has curative and de-aging properties, his power is "I'm a magnet," it's fine having him be a holocaust survivor forever. If they ever resurrect Xavier in the comics they'll have to retcon when they met (or not, I can't remember what's canon now?)

I believe Magneto's actual superpowers are more plausible than magnetic bracelets having curative properties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He moved the electrons in his age atoms slightly to the left.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I believe Magneto's actual superpowers are more plausible than magnetic bracelets having curative properties.

I didn't say it worked, I just figured it'd be fine for comic book science.

One thing I miss, even though it only came up like once or twice in the first Lee/Kirby run, was Reed Richards and Ben Grimm being ww2 vets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just go full Silver Age with it.

"A man with a magnetic personality... does not age!"

"I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism... And my vigor is sustained... By the power of animal magnetism!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just do what the comics did and turn him into a baby

problem solved

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

One thing I miss, even though it only came up like once or twice in the first Lee/Kirby run, was Reed Richards and Ben Grimm being ww2 vets.

I'm not sure it was even a big thing in the FF run - I remember a Howling Commandos book published around the same time where they had a guest appearance but I don't think Reed and Ben as WWII veterans (Reed was in the OSS and Ben was an air force pilot, as I recall) was a part of the FF comic proper.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure it was even a big thing in the FF run - I remember a Howling Commandos book published around the same time where they had a guest appearance but I don't think Reed and Ben as WWII veterans (Reed was in the OSS and Ben was an air force pilot, as I recall) was a part of the FF comic proper.

There's an issue of Lee/Kirby's FF where Nick Fury shows up and there's a flashback, and maybe it came up in the Hatemonger issue, I don't remember. But yeah, it was never a major part of the comic, I just liked it as a bit of background for the characters.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It really isn't hard to come up with simple narrative elements to keep Magneto both a Holocaust survivor and not severely advanced in age. You don't even need the crazy plots comics have come up with. As someone already mentioned, just him being a mutant is enough to explain slower aging. If you wanted to add a bit more weight then just say he was experimented on at some point in his youth, which already fits in with his general attitude toward people and his how he has been wronged.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

It really isn't hard to come up with simple narrative elements to keep Magneto both a Holocaust survivor and not severely advanced in age. You don't even need the crazy plots comics have come up with. As someone already mentioned, just him being a mutant is enough to explain slower aging. If you wanted to add a bit more weight then just say he was experimented on at some point in his youth, which already fits in with his general attitude toward people and his how he has been wronged.

Yeah, he had limited powers when he was in the concentration camp and Goebbels did some horrible poo poo to him that made him age super slow and now he's basically stopped aging at around 55 or whatever.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Or he can be old, and he can die on Genosha when it gets nuked like he should have in the comics.

Professor X and Magneto (should) can be these near mythic figures to try and live up to or learn from like Martin and Malcolm. Then they don't have to be young and sexy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time Warp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Or he can be old, and he can die on Genosha when it gets nuked like he should have in the comics.

Professor X and Magneto (should) can be these near mythic figures to try and live up to or learn from like Martin and Malcolm. Then they don't have to be young and sexy.

Martin and Malcolm both died at 39, they were young and sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Time Warp.

Goddammit Beast.