Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

REAPER is already doing exactly what I was looking for and more, thanks for recommending it! Guess I'm gonna buy it when my license comes due.

Quick PC question, is there a difference between the 3.5mm MIC in on the front of my case and the 3.5mm LINE-IN directly off the motherboard? Am I giving up stereo or quality by using the more convenient plug on the front?

Generally, don't use the mic in for line level output, which is what's coming out of your PO. If you want to do it up right, get yourself a USB sound card, which will record less of the computer's internal electrical noise. That potentially opens up a whole can of worms but for what you are doing now, you can get a cheap M-Audio for like < $50. You'll need the USB cord and adapter cables, which are < $10. But you can still have plenty of fun just using the line in on your box right now.

To reiterate, you don't need to buy a USB sound card. You may want to later but to answer your question, use the line in.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Rolo posted:

REAPER is already doing exactly what I was looking for and more, thanks for recommending it! Guess I'm gonna buy it when my license comes due.

Quick PC question, is there a difference between the 3.5mm MIC in on the front of my case and the 3.5mm LINE-IN directly off the motherboard? Am I giving up stereo or quality by using the more convenient plug on the front?

Your computer will boost the input of the mic input assuming it's an unamplified signal. That boost on most consumer computers is generally an unflattering sounding amplification.

Line-in treats the input as-is, assuming you're using it for something that has already been amplified (to line level, hence the name) before hitting the input. Even if your signal isn't amplified, recording through Line-in and hitting normalize in a DAW after the fact will usually sound better than going through the mic input.

They will usually both be stereo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the line-in chat, I figured something was different in the input signal between the ports but never knew what.

Got my po35 Speak in today and I'm having a harder time than I was hoping getting the mic to pull voices from anything. Even when I talk directly into it it's barely legible. Might be a bad mic or me just expecting too much but I'm thinking about taking it as a sign and swapping clean for a 33 KO. If I really want to tweak voices I could just do it on something else and send it to the 33 anyways, plus it seems like something I could use to sample beats from old vinyl, which sounds fun.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sick. I love the syncussion, this would be an instabuy for me

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This a toss up between a pedal or synth thread question but has anyone looked into the Soma Cosmos? It's an interesting kind of looper/delay thing that is like instant ambient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4DnMpmd3HU

Is there any other similar pedals that would work for synths? I know about the Chase Bliss but it doesn't seem to be quite the same to me.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

I came here 2.5 years ago to ask about pocket operators and ended up with a PO20 Arcade. I think I picked an awesome starter.

I’ve been in quarantine this week so I decided to step it up and got the PO12 Rhythm to take the drums so the Arcade can prioritize bleep bloops and effects. I then decided I want to lift small voice clips off vinyl to throw in so the PO35 Speak is out for deliver today.

These things are fun but I’m worried they’re a gateway to spending the big bucks.

at some point in time you will want a nice synth. nice synths aren't necessarily super expensive. my first nice synth was a tg-77, it cost around $400 back in 2003 or 2004 which was a huge sum back when I was making minimum wage. adjusted for inflation it's still not a trivial amount of money even now that I'm labor aristocracy. the moral though is that, other than the rm1x which I picked up a year or two later, it's been diminishing returns since then. if you're piecemealing a setup together with pocket operators, it might be a better idea to just square away, like, $400-$600 and get a good groove box or an mpc or a workstation synth. you'll still be nagged by the inner voice of GAS but you can tell it to shut up because you have more than enough voices to make music

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Here is a quick demo of my ROLI apps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7KvD-Oi08U

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

one has an amp, the other doesn't. in theory the line in should be quieter but in practice I would be surprised if there's any difference between the two. also gently caress behringer, but these things are like $20

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A31

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

at some point in time you will want a nice synth. nice synths aren't necessarily super expensive. my first nice synth was a tg-77, it cost around $400 back in 2003 or 2004 which was a huge sum back when I was making minimum wage. adjusted for inflation it's still not a trivial amount of money even now that I'm labor aristocracy. the moral though is that, other than the rm1x which I picked up a year or two later, it's been diminishing returns since then. if you're piecemealing a setup together with pocket operators, it might be a better idea to just square away, like, $400-$600 and get a good groove box or an mpc or a workstation synth. you'll still be nagged by the inner voice of GAS but you can tell it to shut up because you have more than enough voices to make music

GAS = Get Another Synth?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you insist

Wavestate SE is gonna be tasty

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

GAS = Get Another Synth?

gear acquisition syndrome so yeah

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

If you insist

Wavestate SE is gonna be tasty

Are they just gonna make better versions of all 3 of those synths? the modwave isn't even released yet

edit: also with how close those were to a sound module form factor I was kinda hoping they would provide a sound module option, and uh this is the opposite of that

brand engager fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 27, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Cheers, I missed the last sale and have been needing a good soft synth forever. Originally I was looking at Serum, but I think pigments has just as much potential as a workhorse.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Voice of Labor posted:

Yeah maybe. The unofficial plan is to play with the PO-33 and if I like it as intended return the 35. I love my Arcade and it’s never going anywhere, but I also wanted to dabble with more beat options and sampling. If it really sticks I may end up looking at real stuff at that point.

What’s a good beginner synth if I want keys and a sequencer built in? Something like the Minilogue?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

What’s a good beginner synth if I want keys and a sequencer built in? Something like the Minilogue?

Casio WK-7600 :getin:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Rolo posted:

OP-1 aka the only synth I ever regretted selling

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

I started my synth journey with a MicroBrute and would happily start over there again if I had to. It’s a fantastic little synth and holds its ground against my Moog Grandmother. Unless something has changed the prices are very decent too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

inferis posted:

OP-1 aka the only synth I ever regretted selling

I want one of those too

seems perfect for travel

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

all you syncussion freaks should just get an 01/IV

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

So Math posted:

Here is a quick demo of my ROLI apps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7KvD-Oi08U

This was really cool. Thanks for sharing it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

don't tempt me!!!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Mr. Sharps posted:

oh god oh gently caress

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

This was really cool. Thanks for sharing it.

Yes, second that. Been seeing these advertised for a long time. That was fun!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I *REALLY* want an OP-1 but that's a lot of human currency for something I know will probably collect dust given how many other toys I have to play with.

But even if I didn't, I know it's an amazing gadget but I have a hard time thinking it's $1200 good.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Martytoof posted:

I *REALLY* want an OP-1 but that's a lot of human currency for something I know will probably collect dust given how many other toys I have to play with.

But even if I didn't, I know it's an amazing gadget but I have a hard time thinking it's $1200 good.

Look man if you want an OP-1, you loving want an OP-1. There’s no “$1200 good” to it. It’s not like a laser printer where you can work out your price per page and do some comparison shopping. It’s a musical instrument, a piece of art, it’s priceless to you or worthless. You know this, you know this in your heart. You feel bad because other people got it cheaper than you will. I understand.

But I also understand, and you also understand, that there are people who get rocket ships for free, so if we start to catch ourselves thinking the sticker price for a product is some kind of score of how good we are at consuming, we will never be on that leaderboard and if we tie our self-worth and satisfaction to it we will never be happy.

So when we want something beautiful, and have the money and space, and it’s made by someone we want to see succeed, and it might make our world a little brighter, then that’s what money is for my friend. Beyond survival, that’s all it’s good for. So buy the loving synth and be grateful you can, and let that gratitude inspire you to learn it and have fun with it and share that joy with someone you love.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

you can get them for like 850 on craigs list

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

So when we want something beautiful, and have the money and space, and it’s made by someone we want to see succeed

This is part of my problem is I think the OP-1 rules and used to spend every lunch break I could demoing it at AC Gears in Manhattan but I would love nothing more than to see Teenage Engineering fail. Cutesy rear end toy for grownup company burying all that power under friggin' coloring books-for-adults-rear end-aesthetics! At least its not Behringer I guess

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

net work error posted:

This a toss up between a pedal or synth thread question but has anyone looked into the Soma Cosmos? It's an interesting kind of looper/delay thing that is like instant ambient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4DnMpmd3HU

Is there any other similar pedals that would work for synths? I know about the Chase Bliss but it doesn't seem to be quite the same to me.

Various offerings by Eventide. Or the Korg NTS-1 as a budget option.

I saw a tutorial by Ben Böhmer about his live setup, and it's basically a laptop running Ableton ... except that he buses all his dreamy pads and things into an Eventide Space because it sounds nice and reverb is a CPU hog.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lead out in cuffs posted:

and reverb is a CPU hog.

I still can’t get over how Valhalla imo makes the best sounding reverbs (seriously even against my Meris mercury 7 that cost a ton), the best ui, doesn’t hog cpu, and all their plugins are $50 flat. I love that company to death :swoon:

Apple and Valhalla seem like the only ones who manage to do reverb like I want with software.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm thinking just load all my stuff into the SP404 and leave all my other gear at home except for maybe a small keyboard is my ideal live setup. maybe a turntable + sp404 into a scratch mixer

another thing that could be cool, since I'm making recordings on the model 12 now, is just bring the model 12 and play back the stems live in multitrack mode

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

snorch posted:

Cheers, I missed the last sale and have been needing a good soft synth forever. Originally I was looking at Serum, but I think pigments has just as much potential as a workhorse.

Pigments + a Microfreak is so lush, it's almost like they were made for each other.
I prefer the workflow of Pigments to Serum definitely, it's so easy to see what modulators are doing what in Pigments.
Which just makes me sadder about Massive X because it has so much potential but that gui is just bleh incarnate compared to the cleanliness of OG massive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

another thing that could be cool, since I'm making recordings on the model 12 now, is just bring the model 12 and play back the stems live in multitrack mode

You enjoying that recording setup? I’ve considered it or a DP-24SD for a while but then I never commit to it and go back to my daw and zoom h6 as an interface lol. The lack of latency with those is extremely appealing since I like to live record as much as possible.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

it's very workable for recording jams. I get way better control than audacity stereo rips were giving me. The onboard MIDI transport is really solid and gives locators as well. Which is good because it won't act as a clock slave to another device unfortunately

The model 12 and DP24SD both integrate well with a DAW so it's not necessarily an either / or thing. If you want a control surface and interface combo its good for that. Theres also the Soundcraft MTK if you want to skip the onboard recorder and just have a really nice inferface + mixer into the daw

The model 12 will hook up a little easier as a DAW controller where with the DP24 you will have to midi map your faders. But thats really easy and you can just save a template project with that mapping.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Pigments + a Microfreak is so lush, it's almost like they were made for each other.
I prefer the workflow of Pigments to Serum definitely, it's so easy to see what modulators are doing what in Pigments.
Which just makes me sadder about Massive X because it has so much potential but that gui is just bleh incarnate compared to the cleanliness of OG massive.

I was looking at a Microfreak yesterday. Would anyone recommend it as a first synth coming off from Pocket Operators?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the model 12 looks cool

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

I was looking at a Microfreak yesterday. Would anyone recommend it as a first synth coming off from Pocket Operators?

there is no such thing

just get synths

yes

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's my first "real" synth that isn't a midi controller or pseudotoy like a monotron and I love my Microfreak

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Rolo posted:

It was my first post-volca synth and still use it frequently. I can’t recommend it enough.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

there is no such thing

just get synths

yes

my first real synth was Big Mouth Billy Bass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1cILMVeE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

counterpoint: don't get a microfreak