Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

EBag posted:

lol well, maybe I should say if you like auctions, 7 wonders and collecting all the sets then get VR. If you like GtR or Race and crazy card combos, get Mottainai. What didn't you like about it?

It feels like a manufactured pop release titled "Chudyk's greatest hits". It does some cool stuff from each of his multi-use card games (less so Innovation, more so Glory to Rome) without the stuff that made each individual game feel interesting. Ended up really bland and soulless compared to GtR...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Codenames works fine with 5. 1 spymaster 2 teams of 2.

What?? Two spymasters and one of the teams has two couriers, the other one. Why would you have only one spymaster when you have at least 4 people? The teams don't have to be balanced.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Scyther posted:

6 players is a bit rough how about Coup or Resistance: Avalon? Also your link doesn't work, the period at the end got included in the url.

Oh, we've played that a lot before (I own both). Also ONUW.

Guys. Guys. I'm in trouble. I just found out about a site in Canada that ships for decent prices, and they have both Argent and Dungeon Petz in stock. Help. I still haven't even played the Dungeon Lords expansion (that I own) yet!

Also, how likely is it to see a Dungeon Petz anniversary edition of some sort in the future?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

OmegaGoo posted:

Codenames is similar, yet quite a bit better than Spyfall. Spyfall handles 5 players "cleaner" than Codenames does, though.

That "cleaner" needs bigger air quotes.

You know that " " are already quotes right.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

silvergoose posted:

What?? Two spymasters and one of the teams has two couriers, the other one. Why would you have only one spymaster when you have at least 4 people? The teams don't have to be balanced.

Because having a team of one doesn't let that player have any discussion on what the hell the spymaster meant by "Water: 4" Worst case, they sit in silence, best case they talk through their process like a babbling maniac.

Play any way you want, but I'd rather have teams with two or more players.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Codenames works fine with 5. 1 spymaster 2 teams of 2.

That seems promising. I'll keep that in mind.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Because having a team of one doesn't let that player have any discussion on what the hell the spymaster meant by "Water: 4" Worst case, they sit in silence, best case they talk through their process like a babbling maniac.

2v2 total is perfectly playable, though?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, but the game takes like 10 minutes to play, and you can rotate teams so that no one is on their own for more than a game. That's how I played it when there were 5 people.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Andarel posted:

It feels like a manufactured pop release titled "Chudyk's greatest hits". It does some cool stuff from each of his multi-use card games (less so Innovation, more so Glory to Rome) without the stuff that made each individual game feel interesting. Ended up really bland and soulless compared to GtR...

I haven't played any of his other games so I can't really compare, the closest comparison for me is Race/Roll which I love. The faster playtime and multi-use cards are great, I would love to try GtR but I'm not paying $100 for the blackbox and gently caress the neon clip-art version. Might look at Innovation someday as well, I hear it's pretty good with 2.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

silvergoose posted:

2v2 total is perfectly playable, though?

It is, but I'll argue that more players is always better.

4 players (2 spymasters 2 spies) works, but I'd rather try for 6-8 players (2 spymasters 4-6 spies) every time.

Just my preference.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, but the game takes like 10 minutes to play, and you can rotate teams so that no one is on their own for more than a game. That's how I played it when there were 5 people.

That works too. I'm not saying my method is required, it's just my preference.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

EBag posted:

I haven't played any of his other games so I can't really compare, the closest comparison for me is Race/Roll which I love. The faster playtime and multi-use cards are great, I would love to try GtR but I'm not paying $100 for the blackbox and gently caress the neon clip-art version. Might look at Innovation someday as well, I hear it's pretty good with 2.

If you're looking to play 2p Mottainai's probably better than GtR at that, GtR is really best with 4 and good at 3/5 (better at 3). Innovation's his best 2p game. Problem with Mottainai is that when he lifted the impulse system from Impulse it ended up making the game flow weird because you don't get the draw power from GtR or the ability to cut people out of actions like in Impulse (without kinda busted cards like prenerf Mask). Race/Roll are super good and I've played a ton of both - probably more than anyone I know - but Mottainai ended up way too bland for my tastes.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
OK, I followed the Goon Wisdom and got Valley of the Kings.

Looking forward to this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You made the right choice. The entomb mechanic is the biggest improvement to the whole genre of deckbuilders since its inception.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What is the entomb mechanic?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Toshimo posted:

What is the entomb mechanic?

You can just straight up eliminate one card from your hand each turn.

It goes into your 'tomb', and only cards in your tomb will score VP at the end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It recreates the tension of when to buy point cards in Dominion in a better/kind of opposite way. Each card can be played for its effect, or entombed to be removed from your deck and scored at the end of the game. It's a constant juggling of "do I keep this powerful card to keep using the effect or score it before it's too late?"

Seriously, for $15 more people need to play Valley of the Kings.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Someone mentioned the expansion is super good, is that Afterlife? That's billed as a standalone :confused:

help

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mister Sinewave posted:

Someone mentioned the expansion is super good, is that Afterlife? That's billed as a standalone :confused:

help

Haven't played it but it's standalone, yeah.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can mix them, but it's also standalone. The designer said they work best separately.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Had a pretty good haul of games from a local salvation army this past month. Picked up both Mascarade (which I know is kinda balls) and Super Motherload, which I have no idea how the hell it found its way to a salvation army.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FFG apparently got L5R so expect some L5R themed games in the future? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GrandpaPants posted:

FFG apparently got L5R so expect some L5R themed games in the future? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

I am gonna be super mega excited about this if they aren't bringing the AEG team over with it.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Also, how likely is it to see a Dungeon Petz anniversary edition of some sort in the future?

Don't want to put you off buying it, but with the success of the DL anniversary edition it's hard to see them resisting having a go with DP. When would the anniversary be, though? Next year?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Beffer posted:

Don't want to put you off buying it, but with the success of the DL anniversary edition it's hard to see them resisting having a go with DP. When would the anniversary be, though? Next year?

That's the five-year anniversary, yes.

I want the game, but I'd rather wait a bit than get the game + exp and see in a couple months some nice big box with both included + extra bits and special monsters and fancy tokens and poo poo. I MUST HAVE ALL THE FANCY poo poo. Literally poo poo that is fancy, like, little plastic poo tokens would be just dandy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh man I only played the card game as a kid but those lunch box tins the cards come in now are amazing. I'm sad to see them go.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bottom Liner posted:

The new expansion/sequel to Valley of the Kings (Afterlife) is fantastic.

What does it add to the game besides new sets to collect? I'm going to be getting this in the next couple weeks when I pick up that new X-Wing core set. I already know I;m going to get VotK:AL because I love the original and it's a big hit with pretty much anyone who plays it, I'm just curious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No new mechanics or anything, just new cards with new abilities. It's just a refined version.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

enigmahfc posted:

What does it add to the game besides new sets to collect? I'm going to be getting this in the next couple weeks when I pick up that new X-Wing core set. I already know I;m going to get VotK:AL because I love the original and it's a big hit with pretty much anyone who plays it, I'm just curious.

Based on this designer diary, it's just VotK 2.0. He wanted to have more cards that interact with other players, more cards that interact with the boneyard/trash pile and wanted to make ultra-thinned decks less powerful but still viable.

The only issue with VotK:AL is that my wishlist isn't long enough to get free shipping from CSI, but Amazon won't have it available till the end of the month.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy gently caress.

I loved L5R, but left because of the nonsensical rotation policies and bad dev team.

My body is so ready.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I talked a bit earlier about a token-based (visual) system of helping to organize combat in Mage Knight. Some people seemed interested so here's a prototype in action.

The combat is mocked up and involves only a couple greens and some units, just to show how things work.

Here is what some prototype tokens look like.

Conceptually it is mainly a system of visually marking "this-to-that". This helps because more complex combats wind up with different units using different abilities and combining (or not) to different enemies - resulting in invisible spaghetti wires tangling everything.

The tokens are arrow-like and always used in at least pairs. On the rounded end they show "using what" and the arrow points to the target. On the other side (e.g. the target's) the arrow points to "what from" and the cup-like back of the arrow indicates what is affected. The arrows therefore normally point towards each other and are used in visually unique groups. That way it's easy to see what is being used against who and what part is taking the hit. (There are also some dead / wound tokens to help indicate whether that results in a wound or kill, but we'll get to that.) Just remember the arrows will work in pairs, pointing TO each other, marking "this to that".

Let's have an example. (Just a heads up - this is a "demo" so the combat here isn't super complex, it's more to show off what this is and how it works.)

Let's take four fresh units facing off against two green rampaging orc enemies. We will try to defeat the two enemies using only the units themselves.

PHASE 1: Ranged/Siege Combat

1. Move unit token onto SCOUTS, use their ability SIEGE 1 against the right orc (toughness 5). Use two identical arrows to show this. This isn't enough to kill it though.
2. This leaves 4 toughness. Pay 1 green mana and use the unit token to activate SAVAGE MONKS for SIEGE 4. Use two identical arrows to connect this to the orc.
3. This combined SIEGE 5 kills the orc in question. Use an "X" to mark this orc as "done/dead".

Closeups:

Scouts SIEGE 1 ability used on the ORC

Monks' SIEGE 4 ability (costs 1 green mana) used on the ORC

A "dead" marker helps indicate that this enemy is "done/dead". This would help if we had other ranged/siege attacks to plan.

But we're done now, so we clean up the tokens and just mark this enemy as "dead" as resolution for PHASE 1. Later after the fight we'll take fame equivalent to the value on the token but we keep it around for now (we might decide to re-do the combat a different way, too.)

This ^ is how the board looks after the first phase. Two units used, and one orc down.

PHASE 2: BLOCK PHASE (combined with PHASE 3: ASSIGN DAMAGE)

The enemy attacks must now be blocked, or damage is assigned from unblocked enemies.

This orc does two separate ATTACK 1's.

1. Neither attack will be blocked.
2. One ATTACK 1 will be to the SCOUTS. They will take a wound. (attack 1 on 2 armour = 1 wound.) A wound token is placed as a reminder of the end result of the "matching" of the unblocked ATTACK 1 to the Scouts.
3. The other ATTACK 1 will go to the GOLEMS. They will not take a wound due to their physical resistance (along with the attack being 1 against their armour 3). They do not use their activation token.

PHASE 4: ATTACK

We will use both the THUGS and the GOLEMS to attack the remaining ORC.

1. Activation token onto the THUGS to use "Attack 3" (the "reputation -1" side effect is not shown here) against the ORC
2. Activation token onto the GOLEMS to use "Attack 2" (it's a little obscured) on the ORC

This total (ATTACK 5) against the ORC's toughness of 4 is enough to kill it, so drop an "X" token to mark this enemy as "done".

If we had more enemies we could move on to them. The visual arrow markers would help us remember who used what where. But we're done now.

Now cleanup. Result:

- All 4 units activated
- Scouts also wounded
- Both enemies dead

I decide I'm happy with this outcome so I can count up my fame from the defeated tokens, put a wound card onto the Scouts, and continue with the game.

I'm curious to hear other people's comments on this. I'm super visual so I love it so far. It's still an early prototype though so there are still things to be tweaked and discovered.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Without knowing anything about L5R, I'm pretty excited just because I've been really encouraged with FFG's success with taking an old CCG like Netrunner and refining it in a 2.0 version. These expandable card games really lend themselves to iterative design.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mister Sinewave posted:

I talked a bit earlier about a token-based (visual) system of helping to organize combat in Mage Knight. Some people seemed interested so here's a prototype in action.

This is really elegant and makes a lot of sense. I'm curious to see how it would pan out in a big city siege or against a large Volkare army or something though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mister Sinewave posted:

The combat is mocked up and involves only a couple greens and some units, just to show how things work.

Here is what some prototype tokens look like.

Conceptually it is mainly a system of visually marking "this-to-that". This helps because more complex combats wind up with different units using different abilities and combining (or not) to different enemies - resulting in invisible spaghetti wires tangling everything.

The tokens are arrow-like and always used in at least pairs. On the rounded end they show "using what" and the arrow points to the target. On the other side (e.g. the target's) the arrow points to "what from" and the cup-like back of the arrow indicates what is affected. The arrows therefore normally point towards each other and are used in visually unique groups. That way it's easy to see what is being used against who and what part is taking the hit. (There are also some dead / wound tokens to help indicate whether that results in a wound or kill, but we'll get to that.) Just remember the arrows will work in pairs, pointing TO each other, marking "this to that".

Let's have an example. (Just a heads up - this is a "demo" so the combat here isn't super complex, it's more to show off what this is and how it works.)

Let's take four fresh units facing off against two green rampaging orc enemies. We will try to defeat the two enemies using only the units themselves.

PHASE 1: Ranged/Siege Combat

1. Move unit token onto SCOUTS, use their ability SIEGE 1 against the right orc (toughness 5). Use two identical arrows to show this. This isn't enough to kill it though.
2. This leaves 4 toughness. Pay 1 green mana and use the unit token to activate SAVAGE MONKS for SIEGE 4. Use two identical arrows to connect this to the orc.
3. This combined SIEGE 5 kills the orc in question. Use an "X" to mark this orc as "done/dead".

Closeups:

Scouts SIEGE 1 ability used on the ORC

Monks' SIEGE 4 ability (costs 1 green mana) used on the ORC

A "dead" marker helps indicate that this enemy is "done/dead". This would help if we had other ranged/siege attacks to plan.

But we're done now, so we clean up the tokens and just mark this enemy as "dead" as resolution for PHASE 1. Later after the fight we'll take fame equivalent to the value on the token but we keep it around for now (we might decide to re-do the combat a different way, too.)

This ^ is how the board looks after the first phase. Two units used, and one orc down.

PHASE 2: BLOCK PHASE (combined with PHASE 3: ASSIGN DAMAGE)

The enemy attacks must now be blocked, or damage is assigned from unblocked enemies.

This orc does two separate ATTACK 1's.

1. Neither attack will be blocked.
2. One ATTACK 1 will be to the SCOUTS. They will take a wound. (attack 1 on 2 armour = 1 wound.) A wound token is placed as a reminder of the end result of the "matching" of the unblocked ATTACK 1 to the Scouts.
3. The other ATTACK 1 will go to the GOLEMS. They will not take a wound due to their physical resistance (along with the attack being 1 against their armour 3). They do not use their activation token.

PHASE 4: ATTACK

We will use both the THUGS and the GOLEMS to attack the remaining ORC.

1. Activation token onto the THUGS to use "Attack 3" (the "reputation -1" side effect is not shown here) against the ORC
2. Activation token onto the GOLEMS to use "Attack 2" (it's a little obscured) on the ORC

This total (ATTACK 5) against the ORC's toughness of 4 is enough to kill it, so drop an "X" token to mark this enemy as "done".

If we had more enemies we could move on to them. The visual arrow markers would help us remember who used what where. But we're done now.

Now cleanup. Result:

- All 4 units activated
- Scouts also wounded
- Both enemies dead

I decide I'm happy with this outcome so I can count up my fame from the defeated tokens, put a wound card onto the Scouts, and continue with the game.

I'm curious to hear other people's comments on this. I'm super visual so I love it so far. It's still an early prototype though so there are still things to be tweaked and discovered.

I've been wondering about something like this for a while, but I think it'll get waaaay too complex to use effectively when you start talking about the kind of combats you get when facing down Volkare and taking on 5+ enemies at a time.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm optimistic about how it'll hold up because the more complex fights are the ones where remembering who used what against which is such a pain to hold in my head.

I used to use spare mana tokens to mark dead/taken care of enemies and specific used abilities and that helped but but that didn't quite cut it. The right token design I think might be the key to it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Any hivemind opinions about Rum and Bones?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Overpriced gimmicky game without much substance. Watched a demo at Gencon and was wholly unimpressed.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I saw them demo-ing Rum and Bones at Dragoncon and I agree that it looked pretty bad. Also it looks like one of those money-sink kind of games that forces you to keep buying miniatures, except not cool like Imperial Assault or Armada.

My dream is for FFG to do an LCG version of 7th Sea, the best non-magic CCG that was around back in the day.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Overpriced gimmicky game without much substance. Watched a demo at Gencon and was wholly unimpressed.

So in other words it's a CoolMiniOrNot game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I dunno, I really like Arcadia Quest, but it's the only game from CMON I like at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scyther posted:

So in other words it's a CoolMiniOrNot game.

World of Smog is actually a decent game. There's some small balance issues with the special action cards - Storm Lord's Decree really needs errata to spend an Ether for its effect - but it's a tight and clever mechanical race game that can play in under an hour including teaching.

Re: the AEG L5R team - what the hell have they done?