Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They've gotta point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

credburn posted:

It's weird that the guy in the poster has five fingers...

Maybe it's digitally edited.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/who_shot_jgr/status/1656711369218048025

enjoy

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What on earth are those variables supposed to mean? The y-axis sounds like maybe it's the average length of a drive-through transaction, but i have no idea what the x-axis is supposed to mean. what portion of what floor is ~308 ft2 and ~394 ft2, and what does that have to do with drive throughs?

When I was in grad school I used to teach a freshman-level physics lab class, and this reminds me strongly of some of the graphs I'd get from the students in the first week when none of them understood how to use matlab yet. fit lines that clearly have nothing to do with the data, and they turn in the lab report without any hint that they understand that it's incredibly obviously wrong.

And I can see that this graph makes the exact same mistake as my students would make. They are using a "y = a x" model for their fit, when the data would be more suited to a "y = a x + b" model. An understandable mistake to make. of course, what's baffling is that whoever made this graph looked at it and said "mm okay" and published. At least my students had the excuse of being tiny babby children.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yes, it's the equation they used for the line, that's the problem with the graph of literally 2 data points.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Elviscat posted:

Yes, it's the equation they used for the line, that's the problem with the graph of literally 2 data points.

Hey, they wrote "Caution --- Use Carefully --- Small Sample Size" what more could you want?

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
If they had only used a polynomial equation, they wouldn't be having this problem. :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Getting a lot of questions about using my data carefully that is already answered by labelling my data "use carefully."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The graph was perpetrated by the Institute of Transportation Engineers, but is probably best experienced via this paper, which is critiquing the absolutely garbage statistics used to justify building every-larger parking lots.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

VictualSquid posted:

Hey, they wrote "Caution --- Use Carefully --- Small Sample Size" what more could you want?

I love that because anyone who has ever tried to communicate uncertain statistics will know that even with seventeen red flashing warning signs reading NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT and INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM ZERO EFFECT DO NOT USE THIS FOR ANYTHING JESUS CHRIST etc. a certain breed of manager will just glance at it, see whether Number Goes Up or Number Goes Down, and immediately base several important decisions on the findings. That is if they look at the data at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Angepain posted:

I love that because anyone who has ever tried to communicate uncertain statistics will know that even with seventeen red flashing warning signs reading NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT and INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM ZERO EFFECT DO NOT USE THIS FOR ANYTHING JESUS CHRIST etc. a certain breed of manager will just glance at it, see whether Number Goes Up or Number Goes Down, and immediately base several important decisions on the findings. That is if they look at the data at all.

ya, if that manager/journalist/policy-wonk type asks for a trendline, you can draw a doodle on the graph with a crayon and if it goes in the any direction, they will use it for whatever they had in mind before they asked

idk what the solution to that specific problem is, other than leaking all the datasets always, armed revolutions, and voting in local elections

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How does that happen? Two points, which is what they have there, uniquely defines a line. How do they wind up with something so wrong?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Posting for egregious Finland

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Finland?

Eta: oh, I thought you meant the one country which has eaten it's Prime Minister was egregious, and therefore were misplacing Finland. I now see the strange eastern border of Finland.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Update your maps folks. It's just what rightfully belongs to us and now that we are in NATO Putin couldn't say no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also feel like "no data" is quite ambiguous given the other options. Do they not know whether that western bit of africa and greenland have ever had prime ministers or do they feel uncertain about declaring for or against their edibility?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Did Finland ever share a land border with Estonia?

The languages are pretty similar.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Phanatic posted:

How does that happen? Two points, which is what they have there, uniquely defines a line. How do they wind up with something so wrong?

Equivalently to what DontMockMySmock pointed out, they are using three points. The third point is (0,0). However, it's weighted differently from the other two; in some sense it has "infinitely more" weight, such that any line that doesn't pass through it is considered worse than any that do. That's how you wind up with that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

drk posted:

Did Finland ever share a land border with Estonia?

The languages are pretty similar.

Well, Talinn and Helsinki were both Swedish at one point (simultaneously). But I I think Russia always held the area around St. Petersburg, so I doubt you could say they shared a land border then.

One the other hand, after 1809, Russia took Finland and it became part of the Russian Empire, which Estonia was also. Could you say they shared a land border then? Maybe.

But more importantly, the languages diverged from a common ancestor language about 1200 years ago, so yes they are similar and land borders didn't matter. It was easier to travel across the Baltic anyway. If you didn't have a ship, you could ski the 75 km across the Gulf of Finland in a few days, I bet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Ok someone needs to fill me in on this

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Count Roland posted:

Ok someone needs to fill me in on this

that's the raampjar baby

https://www.historyextra.com/period/stuart/is-it-true-that-an-angry-mob-of-dutchmen-killed-and-ate-their-own-prime-minister-in-1672/

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I also feel like "no data" is quite ambiguous given the other options. Do they not know whether that western bit of africa and greenland have ever had prime ministers or do they feel uncertain about declaring for or against their edibility?

That Western bit of Africa is Western Sahara, an unincorporated territory where basically no one lives and which the surrounding countries refuse to claim because it's some of the most inhospitable desert on the planet (I think I'm remembering that correctly). So no, there's never been a prime minister there, nor enough of a population to have anything resembling a government at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s a shitpost map.

Labelling Greenland and Western Sahara and sometimes some other places as “no data” even when nonsensical is a long running joke.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Greenland knows what they did, even if we can't prove it

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Kantesu posted:

That Western bit of Africa is Western Sahara, an unincorporated territory where basically no one lives and which the surrounding countries refuse to claim because it's some of the most inhospitable desert on the planet (I think I'm remembering that correctly). So no, there's never been a prime minister there, nor enough of a population to have anything resembling a government at all.

You're confusing Western Sahara with the area between Sudan and Egypt (I don't remember the name and I'm on my phone).
Western Sahara is absolutely populated, and tried to remain independent but its territory is also claimed by Morocco, which has been conquering it bit by bit.
Under Trump, Morocco managed to get the US to recognize their claim on Western Sahara in exchange for recognizing Israel (making them one of the few Arab countries to do so).

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The Finnish PM was never eaten? No wonder she's filing for divorce!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, Talinn and Helsinki were both Swedish at one point (simultaneously). But I I think Russia always held the area around St. Petersburg, so I doubt you could say they shared a land border then.

One the other hand, after 1809, Russia took Finland and it became part of the Russian Empire, which Estonia was also. Could you say they shared a land border then? Maybe.

But more importantly, the languages diverged from a common ancestor language about 1200 years ago, so yes they are similar and land borders didn't matter. It was easier to travel across the Baltic anyway. If you didn't have a ship, you could ski the 75 km across the Gulf of Finland in a few days, I bet.

To expand a bit on this, the ancestor language, and related languages (Sami being one example) were probably spoken in the entire Baltic/Finland/Karelia/Kola area for a long time, and has more recently been replaced by the national majority languages (Russian mostly, but also Finnish probably). You can still find isolated communities in North Western Russia where the olds still kinda speak Finnic languages but everyone switched to Russian because it's a lot more useful.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

That’s a shitpost map.

Labelling Greenland and Western Sahara and sometimes some other places as “no data” even when nonsensical is a long running joke.

IMO at this point the "no data" joke is only good if you put it on London or the entire United States or something. What's happening in Minnesota? Unknowable, the accent is impregnable. No Data.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bourricot posted:

You're confusing Western Sahara with the area between Sudan and Egypt (I don't remember the name and I'm on my phone).
Western Sahara is absolutely populated, and tried to remain independent but its territory is also claimed by Morocco, which has been conquering it bit by bit.
Under Trump, Morocco managed to get the US to recognize their claim on Western Sahara in exchange for recognizing Israel (making them one of the few Arab countries to do so).

One of the first. Several others have since joined the so-called Abraham Accords. Other Arab states have improved relations with Israel by promoting trade, tourism, intelligence sharing etc. Once the Saudi king finally dies you can expect MBS to follow suit, which would be a big deal indeed.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
"symbolic millennium" is a real cop-out

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Reminder that basically all of those were invented just about whole cloth about 2 centuries ago by reading (only the English translation of) Revelation really badly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/JenJudson/status/1658578797069778964

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lorenschmidt/status/1659292772996640775?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You're pretty standard :ocelot:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

beginning to think we shouldn't have put ganandorf in charge of space force

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

Ganondorf ain't got poo poo on Sierpinski

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agnostalgia posted:

Blacktron, on the other hand,

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

Blacktron, on the other hand,

:aaaaa:

I had that triforce piece from some garage sale lego purchase, and I never knew what it was from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
https://twitter.com/legospacebot