Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Pulled a thousand knives, never drew a dime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Eric Bischoff shares 100% blame for killing WCW because he created nWo Night Cap

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its amazing how quick nWo went from Cool Badasses to Dads With Harleys And Bad Politics.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

coconono posted:

its amazing how quick nWo went from Cool Badasses to Dads With Harleys And Bad Politics.

It took one month or six months depending on whether you count Hog Wild or Souled Out as the start of that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah that'd be about it. Souled Out was definitely when it was like watching the dudes at the country club wild out.

I hope Miss nWo is doing good tho. She's probably some poster's mom at this point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Yeah that'd be about it. Souled Out was definitely when it was like watching the dudes at the country club wild out.

I hope Miss nWo is doing good tho. She's probably some poster's mom at this point.

she was probably some poster's mom in 1997

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't Souled Out where the nWo arrived by riding on top of a bunch of garbage trucks? Like for no reason?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What would you do to satisfy Big Sexy Kevin Nash??

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Listen to Depeche Mode

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't Souled Out where the nWo arrived by riding on top of a bunch of garbage trucks? Like for no reason?

They don’t play by society’s rules!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's random emergency vehicles (ambulances, cop cars with sirens blaring, etc), garbage trucks, and some semi-trucks and it's got a disgusting black and white grainy filter over all of it. Probably a nice idea on paper but just awful to look at.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 4, 2020

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

It's really beautiful foreshadowing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And Ted Dibiase and Eric Bishoff sitting in the dark

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked the grainy video because it felt like they'd just got done horking a doob, swished out all the smoke and started cutting promos.

But I also thought Max Headroom was a great TV show so my aesthetics aren't universal

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you watch Souled Out 97, Eric Bischoff is on commentary and he sounds high as gently caress.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MrBling posted:

If you watch Souled Out 97, Eric Bischoff is on commentary and he sounds high as gently caress.

dude rode a dang dumpster to the arena, he was high as gently caress

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Obligatory posting of Bryan & Vinny's review of Souled Out with added footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fncAyxe1c8E

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's random emergency vehicles (ambulances, cop cars with sirens blaring, etc), garbage trucks, and some semi-trucks and it's got a disgusting black and white grainy filter over all of it. Probably a nice idea on paper but just awful to look at.

You forgot to mention the use of fisheye lenses.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always assumed the garbage trucks were because they were supposed to ride in on harleys or something but it was snowing so they rode in on the vehicles that were safe and allowed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18maqo

The show in question.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lmao at Lex Luger.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

coconono posted:

But I also thought Max Headroom was a great TV show so my aesthetics aren't universal

I mean, it was a great TV show, so...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Numero6 posted:

Lmao at Lex Luger.

Watching old Nitros, Lex was loving awesome sometimes

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Nitro was the platonic ideal of an American pro wrestling program

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've grown fonder of Lex's work over the years. I think he's about the ceiling for what you get with dudes whose only real marketable attribute is JACKED. Which is a shame because the dude's comedic timing is pretty good.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Numero6 posted:

Lmao at Lex Luger.

If there's one thing Lex never lacked it's commitment to the gimmick

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

I've grown fonder of Lex's work over the years. I think he's about the ceiling for what you get with dudes whose only real marketable attribute is JACKED. Which is a shame because the dude's comedic timing is pretty good.

Lex wasn't a bad worker until his body started breaking down at the end, as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one interesting thing about Souled Out is the weird aesthetic it has.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the other weird thing about Souled Out was where they did the pay-per-view.

think about all the hot markets WCW had at this time. you have Atlanta as a home base, the Carolinas where it's still JCP country, you've expanded to St Louis and Chicago and can run the Dome/United Center, out West there's a few hot cities like the Bay Area, and guess where they had Souled Out?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Troy Queef posted:

Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The heart of nWo country

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I believe arenas are booked way in advance so it just happened to work that way, not that WCW was like “yes Cedar Rapids, that’s exactly the place we need for souled out”

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

oldpainless posted:

I believe arenas are booked way in advance so it just happened to work that way, not that WCW was like “yes Cedar Rapids, that’s exactly the place we need for souled out”

I think the first one was on a Saturday. So they may have changed a house show to souled out months after they booked it.

If this is the case they probably decided in December the nwo is super hot and there’s no ppv in January. And that arena was probably booked in early fall if not summer.

I don’t know much about arena booking other then the main tenant, nhl/nba or college team get the first dates. Then the arena fills the 280-320 open dates.

Like I’m sure it’s impossible to book an arena that hosts both nhl and nba teams April through June because you don’t really know if there’s going to be 3 to 6 games a week for 2 to 8 weeks.

Remember when wwe had that very petty basketball themed main event on raw 10 years ago and the heel team wore Denver nuggets jerseys?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Troy Queef posted:

think about all the hot markets WCW had at this time. you have Atlanta as a home base, the Carolinas where it's still JCP country, you've expanded to St Louis and Chicago and can run the Dome/United Center, out West there's a few hot cities like the Bay Area, and guess where they had Souled Out?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

WCW's live event business hadn't completely caught fire quite yet, so it's not really weird they were running secondary markets, especially for an experimental show. The company had really struggled to draw live anywhere about 9 months prior when the Savage/Flair feud started doing well at house shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Souled Out wasn't a last minute thing, nor were the garbage trucks. They sat down and planned out the video packages in advance and thought they did a really cool, innovative job. One of the funnier parts of the Nitro book is how the author seems to think the opening was a big hit, and the people he interviewed were really proud of it. It's a book that comes off as if it were written by someone who never actually watched WCW, but somehow was able to interview a bunch of people about it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I think the first one was on a Saturday. So they may have changed a house show to souled out months after they booked it.

If this is the case they probably decided in December the nwo is super hot and there’s no ppv in January. And that arena was probably booked in early fall if not summer.

I don’t know much about arena booking other then the main tenant, nhl/nba or college team get the first dates. Then the arena fills the 280-320 open dates.

Like I’m sure it’s impossible to book an arena that hosts both nhl and nba teams April through June because you don’t really know if there’s going to be 3 to 6 games a week for 2 to 8 weeks.

Remember when wwe had that very petty basketball themed main event on raw 10 years ago and the heel team wore Denver nuggets jerseys?

It was the Saturday night before that year's Super Bowl, yeah

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

It was the Saturday night before that year's Super Bowl, yeah

Souled Out and Road Wild were both Saturday shows.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my favorite part of the Souled Out intro wasn't the people riding the garbage trucks, it was Sean Waltman running around between the trucks shouting and too-sweeting constantly

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Souled Out wasn't a last minute thing, nor were the garbage trucks. They sat down and planned out the video packages in advance and thought they did a really cool, innovative job.

thinking lame things are cool and innovative is like the definition of the NWO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

In January, no less. There was plenty of snow visible IIRC.

I mean, the show didn't do very well and it was (I think?) their first January PPV, so they probably anticipated it being a minor show.