Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Andrast posted:

tbf the heal spell is pretty loving good in 2e

Conversely, Harm is just as good!

The final boss of the first Age of Ashes adventure is a cleric loaded up with harms and he was basically a ticking clock until he killed the entire party with sheer AoE damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

i have the same problem and i think its more of a player/gm problem than a system one. it goes like this: players/gm agree not to focus on finding the best spells or actions > players experience a near TPK > players start avoiding 'bad' actions > GM ramps up difficulty...

and suddenly, i find myself having to chose the ancestry thing that lets my cleric cast electric arc or else im not able to help the party actually finish the fight. if i dont, my lackluster heals are seen as a waste of an action and i may as well not be playing. i think PF2 shines when everyone involved is completely against mechanical optimization

Like I’m not even optimized, it’s just....what else am I going to do? Is it much better if I use telekinetic projectile or produce flame? Between my level 1 and 2 spell slots, I have like two or three pure combat spells. I dunno it’s just kinda boring so far.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
What class are you playing? I think focus spells and their interactions with the rest of your build are what really make low-level casters interesting to play. Oracles are the kings at this but other casters get cool stuff too.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Wizard. I expect it’ll pick up by level 10 but, kinda wish there were more toys throughout

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Which arcane school? If you picked up one of the ones that has a 1-action focus spell, that's usually extremely solid.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Andrast posted:

tbf the heal spell is pretty loving good in 2e

its not that heal is bad, its that combat goes faster and less pc's are put at risk if you kill things first and heal after everything is dead

sugar free jazz posted:

Like I’m not even optimized, it’s just....what else am I going to do? Is it much better if I use telekinetic projectile or produce flame? Between my level 1 and 2 spell slots, I have like two or three pure combat spells. I dunno it’s just kinda boring so far.

in podcasts or other forums, this is usually met with 'pf1 is a decade old, of course there's more options so wait for more pf2 splatbooks or 3rd party stuff.' i think there's a large enough list of spells or actions to take in combat but they dont stack up against the obviously best things to do with your actions. i think its a player/gm min-maxing problem but maybe its a design problem. either way, it is really boring to play spell casters from lvl one to roughly six

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 28, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

its not that heal is bad, its that combat goes faster and less pc's are put at risk if you kill things first and heal after everything is dead

Threats in 2e are generally capable of taking PCs down very quickly, getting them up again is a big deal.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm looking to start a PF2 group finally and I'm looking to try and adventure path before I leap into world building. I'm eyeing extinction curse cause it looks pretty loving cool and different, is it any good? Is there a better starting point for people that have played dnd most of their lives?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Elblanco posted:

So I'm looking to start a PF2 group finally and I'm looking to try and adventure path before I leap into world building. I'm eyeing extinction curse cause it looks pretty loving cool and different, is it any good? Is there a better starting point for people that have played dnd most of their lives?

I’m about to finish the first book. It’s good, though the circus theme plays a lot less of a role than we’d all hoped. It’s also a bit light on good motivations for the PCs, so far at least.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So I finally got to look through the APG for 2e, and I was appreciating the fact that they added a Cook background, but I gotta say, that Seasoned feat is loving worthless unless you're also taking ranks in Craft, unless I'm reading something wrong

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

the_steve posted:

So I finally got to look through the APG for 2e, and I was appreciating the fact that they added a Cook background, but I gotta say, that Seasoned feat is loving worthless unless you're also taking ranks in Craft, unless I'm reading something wrong

I think the intention is that you can use Cooking Lore/Alcohol Lore to make food/drink (and that's how I'll rule it if it comes up), but yeah by RAW it has issues.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cyouni posted:

I think the intention is that you can use Cooking Lore/Alcohol Lore to make food/drink (and that's how I'll rule it if it comes up), but yeah by RAW it has issues.

I was asking with the folks who run the local organized play as well, and I think they were leaning towards that same conclusion, because I want the background for my character for RP reasons, but a +1/+2 to Cooking pales in comparison to being able to Take 10 on Athletics checks.
I mean, sure, I could just take the Assurance feat as a General choice, but yeah.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The best background in the APG is Barber. Risky Surgery is so stupidly good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The best background in the APG is Barber. Risky Surgery is so stupidly good.

How good? My Barbarian has healed our party about as much as the cleric has, thanks to Medicine, is the 1d8 damage worth the +2 (and crit success on a success)?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

the_steve posted:

I was asking with the folks who run the local organized play as well, and I think they were leaning towards that same conclusion, because I want the background for my character for RP reasons, but a +1/+2 to Cooking pales in comparison to being able to Take 10 on Athletics checks.
I mean, sure, I could just take the Assurance feat as a General choice, but yeah.

Taking 10 on Athletics is pretty meh. Battle Medicine's really the only notable background feat you can pick up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

How good? My Barbarian has healed our party about as much as the cleric has, thanks to Medicine, is the 1d8 damage worth the +2 (and crit success on a success)?

I mean if you're not likely to hit the crit sucess yeah the boost to auto crit is insanely good especially with some other medicine based feats.

Like the one that let's your only take 10 minutes to do the medicine healing (And that includes the 10 minuets it takes to do the medicine so you can just continually patch people up)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

the_steve posted:

Assurance isn't the same as taking 10. It's 10 + proficiency bonus, which doesn't include your ability score or other bonuses.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Checking in over on the Summoner beta forum and it's a loving warzone over there between people who want minor changes to make things flow better and people who want the entire thing thrown out and made totally identical to the old 1e Summoner because gently caress you if you don't have eighty different customization points

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Checking in over on the Summoner beta forum and it's a loving warzone over there between people who want minor changes to make things flow better and people who want the entire thing thrown out and made totally identical to the old 1e Summoner because gently caress you if you don't have eighty different customization points

Oh god please no don't loving bring back 1E summoner. I get it you get more personal choices but most of them were poo poo anyway and you just kind of ruined the action economy/pacing constantly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oh god please no don't loving bring back 1E summoner. I get it you get more personal choices but most of them were poo poo anyway and you just kind of ruined the action economy/pacing constantly.

ah but you see summoner should really have a font of daily summon spells like the cleric has heals because

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Blockhouse posted:

ah but you see summoner should really have a font of daily summon spells like the cleric has heals because

The summoning font is actually the least offensive idea, action economy being what it is, summoning actually has significant costs and spamming summons frankly ain’t workable. You could honestly do it as a focus spell and get 90% of the functionality of a font, but you’ll have edge cases of summons with useful spells.

The deeper madness is in the synthesis stuff and what abilities the Eidolon should get.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like "the monster-summoning class should be able to use Summon Monster regularly" is about as not-terrible as Pathfinder opinions get.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I feel like "the monster-summoning class should be able to use Summon Monster regularly" is about as not-terrible as Pathfinder opinions get.

They are though? It's just the one character unique and specific summon.

They've got this huge basically constantly up summoned creature they summon and it's what the class is built around.

You don't need to add "Oh also they havea stack of more generic shittier things they can also summon" to hit the whole "Summoner" flavor.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They are though? It's just the one character unique and specific summon.

They've got this huge basically constantly up summoned creature they summon and it's what the class is built around.

You don't need to add "Oh also they havea stack of more generic shittier things they can also summon" to hit the whole "Summoner" flavor.

Since you can't use both at once, I feel like it was meant to make up for the longer cast time for the Eidolon, combined with the possibility of it being unavailable if brought to zero hp.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

quote:

Hunch: This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.

Action: Trying to gain information with Sense Motive generally takes at least 1 minute, and you could spend a whole evening trying to get a sense of the people around you.

Try Again: No, though you may make a Sense Motive check for each Bluff check made against you.
Hunches use a flat DC of 20, which I dislike as both a player and a DM. Getting a hunch as to whether someone is trustworthy "generally takes at least 1 minute," so we're looking at out-of-combat checks. Taking 10 isn't guaranteed to be available, but I would expect it to apply in most cases where you're trying to get hunch, unless you're trying to broker a quick deal as the Hellknights close in your position or are otherwise too pressed/stressed to take 10. It's not hard to have +10 to Sense Motive as a player (so it's very easy to have at least one character that has at least +10), and NPCs, monster or otherwise, have +10 or higher often enough that hiding one's trustworthiness feels like a hopeless endeavor.

I've mostly been ignoring it as a DM — there are NPCs with +10 Sense Motive and higher, but I don't think that them knowing to distrust the players would make the game more interesting. The next/previous* DM doesn't seem to share my concerns. My character in that campaign has +11 Sense Motive, allowing him to get a bead on whether someone is trustworthy in just a minute (or an evening), which feels kind of boring in a campaign that involves subterfuge. On the flipside, he also has +18 Bluff, but he has no way to actually mask the fact that he is fundamentally untrustworthy.

I'm interested in how people have seen it pan out. So much is up to DM fiat, including both the time it takes to make the check and what constitutes "trustworthy." Am I just overthinking it and it makes sense that a commoner and Norgorber are equally adept at pretending to be trustworthy? Is it a bad idea to tie this sort of thing to a flat DC and it should be more like Intimidate? Have people had instances of DMs houseruling this or neutering the usefulness (e.g. making "trustworthy" much more nebulous such that it's not a useful indicator)? Did your campaign just sort of ignore this aspect of Sense Motive?

*: next and also previous, my campaign ended up just sort of falling in the middle of his campaign due to COVID. Wasn't planned that way, but we effectively went on hiatus at level 8 and will be picking back up shortly.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 14, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How can I get a breath weapon as a rogue? I can't be a dragon disciple because I'm not a kobold, for reasons that aren't changing. Barbarian dedication to dragon instinct? That looks like it works but takes until level 12 - looking for a sooner option.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How often do you want to use the Breath Weapon? The level 9 Energy Mutagen (greater) alchemical item gives you a single-use breath weapon, which you can buy or handcraft when you're a Master in Crafting, and a Master Alchemy Archetype can make 20+ of them a day for free at level 14.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh that sounds like the ticket. I'm making N'Dri the frilled lizardfolk rogue. My serious game plan is to scare people with my frills and get sneak attack from Dread Striker. I want the breath weapon mostly for comedy purposes because it would really put a bow on the character concept if he can spit either acid or poison.

Edit actually if there's a good way to exploit Threatening Approach while playing as a, say, barbarian that would be great too. Rogue is just the first thing I built. I just want to use Threatening Approach effectively, and spit acid if I can

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 14, 2020

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Ask your GM to make Kobold Ancestry common then use Adopted Ancestry to grab Kobold Breath Weapon is the quickest way.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Perfect! Thank you! One little fudge of the rules and I get it by 5th level. Happy to do it too because I'm not really thrilled with the lizardfolk ancestry feat choices.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

HidaO-Win posted:

Ask your GM to make Kobold Ancestry common then use Adopted Ancestry to grab Kobold Breath Weapon is the quickest way.

Hard to believe his GM wouldn't rule that to be a physical ancestry trait that doesn't work with adopted.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

Hard to believe his GM wouldn't rule that to be a physical ancestry trait that doesn't work with adopted.

Kihimari learned the Fiends' way of fighting.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't see why a lizardman couldn't breathe acid if a kobold can do it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd definitely let anyone do it if it seemed cool/funny

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
For posterity I also found I could do it with Adopted Ancestry Human probably. There's an ancestry feat for humans from the Lost Omens Character Guide called Dragon Spit that expressly lets you cast acid splash (or another elemental cantrip) from your mouth. Pros: no need to wheedle GM for uncommon ancestry adoption, Spit doesn't wait 1d4 rounds between uses, same ancestry lets you tap the sorcerer dragon breath focus spell at level 9, Spit uses a magic attack roll so it could sneak attack with Magical Trickster feat lol. Cons: may need to wheedle GM for "ethnicity requirement," Spit damage has less non-sneak growth potential than Kobold Breath, Spit isn't an AoE.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Am I reading this right that Assurance will perpetually leave you unable to complete simple level-based DC tasks? For example at level 1 your Assured skill check is likely 13. The level 1 simple DC is 15. At level 3 you'd have 17 against 18 (assuming you now have an expert skill). At level 10, (10 base + 10 level + 6 master) fails to reach 27. What the hell.

I can get Automatic Knowledge to "easily recall basic facts" but I'd never make the simple DC because it compels Assurance...?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Am I reading this right that Assurance will perpetually leave you unable to complete simple level-based DC tasks? For example at level 1 your Assured skill check is likely 13. The level 1 simple DC is 15. At level 3 you'd have 17 against 18 (assuming you now have an expert skill). At level 10, (10 base + 10 level + 6 master) fails to reach 27. What the hell.

I can get Automatic Knowledge to "easily recall basic facts" but I'd never make the simple DC because it compels Assurance...?

You can choose when to use assurance. In general though assurance is good vs. lower level things or non-level based checks.

edit: you obviously can't choose with automatic knowledge though since that's assurance specific

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Assurance is for automatically succeeding at lower-level tasks, not equal-level ones.

SuperKlaus posted:

At level 10, that 26 is more than enough for "basic facts" covered by the Trained or Expert DCs, and with zero chance of rolling a 1 and failing at a DC 25 check because (for example) you only have a +20 bonus.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 22, 2020

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Has anyone here given the oracle a try? How does it play in practice, now that the APG has been out for a few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So I noticed that One Inch Punch doesn't have the Attack tag.
Does that mean using it doesn't count against my multiple attack penalty?

Because (and bear in mind I'm bad at math), being able to use a 2>> OIP for a strike at full attack bonus then a Flurry of Blows for a Full/-5 respectively seems like it'd be more efficient than FOB and 2 strikes at -10 attack, especially since OIP has bonus damage if it hits, which helps mitigate the loss of damage you'd do with a normal attack while wearing an appropriately magical handwrap.

Unless the -10 doesn't mean much at higher levels, or again, I'm looking at it wrong or seriously misunderstanding something.