Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just did inventory two days ago, my store is 62,000 items short of what it should have, with $181 on average going missing a day, with a 4% shrink rate.

Not .4 or .04, 4, the full number four.

We're getting an EAS system installed tomorrow.

A plumber came in to fix our back room sink, it smelled like rancid eggs and rear end in the store from 4 to at least 8 yesterday, and the only reason I think it was past eight was because my brain got used to the smell.

Had some lady bring in a blanket to return, I was doing the return process and glanced over and noticed one of her hands just covered in lesions and blisters, and colored weird shades of purple and milky white/green. Tossed that blanket and washed my hands a lot.

Co-worker related issue: Was in the back checking on the computer about upcoming sales and noticed that a $40 handheld Sega thing was going to be $4 on the 27th. I was going to get it for a roommate, as I owed him a Christmas present, and thought, hey at least I can grab this for him as a "I still haven't found anything cool for you yet but I'm still trying," gift. The thing was already on sale for $13, and honestly if someone bought it before then, I wasn't going to be upset.

So a week went by and I got scheduled to work in the morning on the 27th, so I could grab it and put it at the register in our "I'm going to buy this" slot between the two registers we have. The cashier is there, and I tell her to not sell it, I need to help the boss and will be back to pick that and a drink up while I help him move some stuff. So I help the boss and while we're moving stuff we hear a girl being loud up front, and the boss and I are just like "ugh, kids." So we get an aisle moved and something pops up that he needs to take care of, so I grab a pop and head up to the register.

I get there and put the pop down and tell her to get the game thing. She looks at me with wide eyes and says "Oh I sold it to a mom and her daughter."

I'm not mad at missing out on the thing, I can get my roommate something else, I'm just pissed she didn't listen to me. Like yesterday she tried to put away the drink I bought, and then the bottle of ibuprofen I just leave at the register. What makes it worse, is she's store stuff in that same spot. It's like come the gently caress on.

AlmightyBob posted:

As a manager, the surest way to get a customer to ask for me is to go to the bathroom

People seem to have a radar that alerts them to when you're about to poo poo or piss yourself, and will use that run in and occupy the bathroom you need to use, or bring in a complicated issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Happy hour 3 to close today. Pandemonium after I lost all my bar support but my lucky rear end got to leave at 5:30. I snuck right out of there before anyone could ask me to do anything else

Left my coworker there who's closing after covering a shift this morning and my SM was frantically trying to get someone to cover her weekend shift so she wouldnt go into overtime, god forbid. Like she doesn't deserve it for the poo poo shes putting up with today

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anora posted:

Just did inventory two days ago, my store is 62,000 items short of what it should have, with $181 on average going missing a day, with a 4% shrink rate.

We're getting an EAS system installed tomorrow.

A plumber came in to fix our back room sink, it smelled like rancid eggs and rear end in the store from 4 to at least 8 yesterday, and the only reason I think it was past eight was because my brain got used to the smell.

Had some lady bring in a blanket to return, I was doing the return process and glanced over and noticed one of her hands just covered in lesions and blisters, and colored weird shades of purple and milky white/green. Tossed that blanket and washed my hands a lot.

Co-worker related issue: Was in the back checking on the computer about upcoming sales and noticed that a $40 handheld Sega thing was going to be $4 on the 27th. I was going to get it for a roommate, as I owed him a Christmas present, and thought, hey at least I can grab this for him as a "I still haven't found anything cool for you yet but I'm still trying," gift. The thing was already on sale for $13, and honestly if someone bought it before then, I wasn't going to be upset.

So a week went by and I got scheduled to work in the morning on the 27th, so I could grab it and put it at the register in our "I'm going to buy this" slot between the two registers we have. The cashier is there, and I tell her to not sell it, I need to help the boss and will be back to pick that and a drink up while I help him move some stuff. So I help the boss and while we're moving stuff we hear a girl being loud up front, and the boss and I are just like "ugh, kids." So we get an aisle moved and something pops up that he needs to take care of, so I grab a pop and head up to the register.

I get there and put the pop down and tell her to get the game thing. She looks at me with wide eyes and says "Oh I sold it to a mom and her daughter."

I'm not mad at missing out on the thing, I can get my roommate something else, I'm just pissed she didn't listen to me. Like yesterday she tried to put away the drink I bought, and then the bottle of ibuprofen I just leave at the register. What makes it worse, is she's store stuff in that same spot. It's like come the gently caress on.

People seem to have a radar that alerts them to when you're about to poo poo or piss yourself, and will use that run in and occupy the bathroom you need to use, or bring in a complicated issue.

maybe my store is just hosed but that doesn't seem like an overly large amount of shrinkage.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That would be insta fired territory for the store manager in my company with a side order of loss prevention taking up residence in your collective asses until poo poo is straightened out. We were 0.08% off ($600 variance with $700,000 in inventory) and while on a corporate end thats excellent, we personally consider it unacceptable. 66k missing from 1.6m in inventory would be loving unthinkable. However it probably depends on what kind of store you are and how big your inventory is. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 30, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

That would be insta fired territory for the store manager in my company with a side order of loss prevention taking up residence in your collective asses until poo poo is straightened out. We were 0.08% off ($600 variance with $700,000 in inventory) and while on a corporate end thats excellent, we personally consider it unacceptable. 66k missing from 1.6m in inventory would be loving unthinkable. However it probably depends on what kind of store you are and how big your inventory is. :v:

We're a large supermarket. Considering how easy it is for people to just walk out with poo poo in their pockets - we're not allowed to prevent people from leaving under any circumstances; and the newest fad in store design is to have big wide airy entry spaces, so it's perfectly simple for someone to just fill a cart with whatever the gently caress they want and just walk straight out in front of us - happens almost once a week. Then you've got self serve registers - there are 10 of them, and only one staff member supervising them. It's pretty easy for people to steal there. We no longer sell phone chargers/lightning cables/USB cables or Flash drives, or cheap earbud headphones, etc because it was determined that there were more of them leaving the store down people's pants than there were being sold.

We have a security guard; but only for 12 hours a week.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 30, 2018

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Lord Bude posted:

maybe my store is just hosed but that doesn't seem like an overly large amount of shrinkage.

We had 280 thousand items in our store when we were supposed to have 345 thousand, which means after the inventory was done, we were missing 20% of the poo poo we were supposed to have.

That 4% was just what was reported from stuff we found, previous to the inventory.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anora posted:

We had 280 thousand items in our store when we were supposed to have 345 thousand, which means after the inventory was done, we were missing 20% of the poo poo we were supposed to have.

That 4% was just what was reported from stuff we found, previous to the inventory.

Holy poo poo... thats.. the gently caress? How.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

My meat department once had a 2 week shrink of $32,000. All we got was a call from regional to watch it

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Pretty sure most of my store's shrink issues are related to our idiot POS having communication breakdown with our idiot inventory system. We have a small inventory but a lot of it is high value and large so its not like people are just walking out with 1.5'x1.5'x4' boxes.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

grimcreaper posted:

Holy poo poo... thats.. the gently caress? How.

We are super high theft, but the last inventory was two years ago.

We also sell a lot of tiny items, so it's easy for people to pocket them.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Anora posted:

We're getting an EAS system installed tomorrow

4% shrink what the fuuuuuuuuuuck? I need to know more details on what happened.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, if our shrink is over 1% annually we get lots of visits from people trying to figure out how they can reduce our "operational error", because apparently theft is totally preventable if you just hound all of your customers 100% of the time, which we definitely have enough people to manage on a busy Saturday afternoon!

Anora, do you think the EAS system will help?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've worked in stores with an EAS system. They don't do anything by themselves because, more often than not, someone will just get waved through. They're basically worthless unless you're pairing them with a loss prevention agent or a doorman or both.

Also I just finished my inventory and now we're heading into the first of the month on Easter weekend. I guess what I am saying is I want to be dead.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the EAS won't help. The last placed I worked at had one but no doorman/LP and it would go off approx. 50 times a day, including when people walked into the store and, once for a week, every 5 seconds because it was completely broken.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I remember once being on door duty when some teenage genius stuck an EAS tag INTO the motherfucking EAS tower.

That was a great four hours.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I remember once being on door duty when some teenage genius stuck an EAS tag INTO the motherfucking EAS tower.

That was a great four hours.

That sounds about up there with the shift at mcdonald's when the timer to throw out a particular pan of whatever had its reset button break so it was just going off continuously. The assistant manager who finally had the magic punch got to be a hero, though.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I am looking forward to seeing how our third party inventory crew fucks up this year. Last year they skipped about 10-20% of the chilled grocery area.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
So for Passover, our deli is supposed to make latkes, with crushed matzo as a binder. Corporate told us to just transfer from grocery, but grocery stopped carrying matzo four months ago! So now the deli AM is freaking out because she can't make latkes, even though no one's gonna buy latkes from our obciously-not-kosher kitchen for Passover, chill.

Meanwhile in bakery, I'm in trouble for having two hours of overtime because I've been trying to keep up with cookies and cupcakes for Easter BY MYSELF and do you fucks know how long it takes to pipe tiny rosettes on each mini cupcake per 12-pack? A long time. But my baker got sent out of state to help open a new store, and deli has a cook out for a week because he's in the hospital, so I've been running bakery solid, so shut the gently caress up about my 42 hours. gently caress.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Today in retail: first customer cones in sobbing because her dad passed away this morning, buys a big bottle and drops it going out the door.

Second customer: homeless dude and his methed out girlfriend start bitching at me about "the only black cop in this area just kicked us off the corner it's not a race thing buuuuuuuut" right about the time I noticed the SS lightning bolts on his neck and very obvious third reich eagle on his arm.

Not a race thing. Sure buddy.

Third customer: mad about no parking. Like I can do anything about that.

We're off to a wild start for sure.

Edit: some dude just came in with top dollar gel cap painted figernails with illuminati and ouja board symbology. Goddamn today is getting weird.

Edit: I just saw some old kodger on an alcoholics special bike get honked at by some soccer mom and he started yelling about how he pays his taxes too and deserves a place in the road.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 31, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Within the first five minutes asked where soap is. I ask her what kind, and she yells OBVIOUSLY HAND SOAP and rants about me not knowing anything.

Lady we carry all sorts of soap for different things.

Also ban all holidays.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

Also ban all holidays.

Guess who forgot tomorrow was a holiday and accepted staying an extra 90 minutes? :suicide:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Hawking posted:

Edit: I just saw some old kodger on an alcoholics special bike get honked at by some soccer mom and he started yelling about how he pays his taxes too and deserves a place in the road.

special bike? Hopefully my day will be as relatively easy as today was at the hospital.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MC Hawking posted:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Screenshotted my dm because I don't want to retype it

I'm not exaggerating when I say the whole store is about to quit

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Screenshotted my dm because I don't want to retype it

I'm not exaggerating when I say the whole store is about to quit

Retail + sales - commission = bullshit

That’s really infuriating to see (not surprising). If a company doesn’t want to pay commission, then you should just focus on employees providing customer service.

My job has a constant cloud of “when are they removing commission,” and lord knows if they ever do, my habits will change quite a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I should add bc I dunno if it's in there that I literally am working at a gas station on weekends to make some extra cash

A gas station

Who the gently caress upsells at a gas station

Especially where there's no carrot, just a stick

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s quite common in Australia for petrol stations to have a spend $x on stuff in store to get a 4c a litre discount on your fuel. It’s highway robbery because you always pay heaps more for groceries at those places.

I love Easter time because there’s 4 public holidays in a row. Everything shuts on Friday; but I got a paid day off, then I worked all day Saturday, at public holiday rates that work out at just short of a dollar a minute; then Sundays and Mondays I don’t normally work so I’ll get an extra 2 days regular pay for them.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 1, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that happens here too, but it's usually just like scan a card when you buy your coffee, get x amount off per gallon. The one I work at has a partnership with a grocery store chain too where you earn cash back with it buying groceries there

That's lovely and dumb but it's miles better than this

Also I got paid the same 10/hr I always get. Just like when I worked on Christmas.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah that happens here too, but it's usually just like scan a card when you buy your coffee, get x amount off per gallon. The one I work at has a partnership with a grocery store chain too where you earn cash back with it buying groceries there

That's lovely and dumb but it's miles better than this

Also I got paid the same 10/hr I always get. Just like when I worked on Christmas.

We get double time and a half on public holidays. Works out at $55 an hour. It's remarkably easy to get volunteers for shifts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
USA number one baby don't get poo poo ever but give your soul to the company

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I should add bc I dunno if it's in there that I literally am working at a gas station on weekends to make some extra cash

A gas station

This is my job, and we are required to ask everyone to buy something else. Even if they are paying on a fuel card that *literally* cannot buy anything else. It feels poo poo because part of your job is encouraging everyone to buy a bag full of sugar (I usually offer fruit or gum, but I'm not technically supposed to up sell those).

We get weekly survey's returned, and if less than 100% of them say we tried to upsell them then we get a talking to. Capitalism man.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When I worked at a gas station, it got bought out by Travel Centers of America and turned in a Minit Mart. They stripped all the candy from the register counters to replace it with one "must sell" item, which was always a hot garbage item. So instead of Reese's, snickers, and lighters, they put up Charlston chews and poo poo.

Charlston Chews aren't horrible by the way, it's just not really in my top 50 of snacks.

Yesterday and today I had people in the store pushing our 10pm closing time to it's limit. Jesus Christ, if you have 30+ coupons, show up at 8, not 9:30, mother fucker.

The Aardvark posted:

Within the first five minutes asked where soap is. I ask her what kind, and she yells OBVIOUSLY HAND SOAP and rants about me not knowing anything.

This is my new pet peeve, it's like, "Bitch, where do they keep the soap/batteries/pregnancy tests/etc in other stores? Oh, the HBA/on a thing with a giant battery/medicine aisle? loving look there first before you ask me, I have 4 people in line and am on the phone with someone who wants me to confirm if we have any dollar diapers in stock, because there's a loving coupon that works on them of $2 off, so of course we don't have them because the other 20 couponers in the area bought them all already. And no, I can't break your hundred on a pack of gum, because the last three people also broke hundreds for tiny bullshit, so maybe, if you need a hundred broken, you can buy more poo poo, or think twice before you try to break large bills at a store with 'We sell cheap poo poo, yo,' in the name."

I would also like to drop kick every parent that lets their kid loose in the store.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My main job is working at a comic store and stonewalling parents who get mad that I wouldn't let their child run around unsupervised is The Best

I'm not even joking I love it because they get saltier and saltier and then I threaten to call.mall security and they leave

One time I kept prodding a guy because he was mad at us for not knowing about a board game until he was so mad that he pushed a computer over at me, just so I could call security and have him escorted out of the mall

It ruled

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
At the gas station, I'm also about to have it out with a coworker because she doesn't like that I have a deal with management where my shift starts fifteen minutes later than normal because my other job gets out at 930 and if I'm closing there it's hard to make it from there to the gas station and change and eat something in half an hour, and my store manager is cool and went yeah dickeye you can eat a sandwich between jobs

Now she's doing the thing where she closes her drawer as soon as she sees me pull in, before I'm even in the door, so I hit the ground running before I even get to ask if there's anything I need to know because she's out the door before I count a drawer in, and leaving me a bunch of her work on top of it

Her friend, who also works with us, got all scared when I said that because she's pregnant (like six weeks) and but her boyfriend will say something and a) her boyfriend doesn't work here and I can just call the sheriff and have him escorted off the premises if he wants to swing his ding dong at me and b) I'm the guy who got fired from a job without being told over some bullshit and responded by telling the manager he was a "bitch rear end" until he gave me my job back

Ask me if I care about some dipshit twenty year old

gently caress I hate this store

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My main job is working at a comic store and stonewalling parents who get mad that I wouldn't let their child run around unsupervised is The Best

I'm not even joking I love it because they get saltier and saltier and then I threaten to call.mall security and they leave

One time I kept prodding a guy because he was mad at us for not knowing about a board game until he was so mad that he pushed a computer over at me, just so I could call security and have him escorted out of the mall

It ruled

Which game? ;)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Let me sum up the last few days.

We had inventory at the tail end of a month. Since it was the last week of the month, and EBT funds were running low, sales were down. This means corporate cut our hours, because of course they would. So we went into the count down on manpower, but wait, there's more!

That produce position? The full-time one? We filled it this week, but the guy won't start until next week. Maybe. So we're down one guy there.

Our lead grocery stocker quit.

Our dairy guy is out on a medical thing.

We didn't get to shift those hours to anyone else. They're just gone. We couldn't use them if we wanted to.

Yesterday, I had a hundred and sixty cases. Just in my department. I also had to run some dairy, because God forbid anyone else do milk and eggs, and run loss leaders in produce, because the produce guy called out. I guess I got to work in produce after all.

Because the first falls on a weekend, EBT refreshed early, and it is a holiday weekend, so we were extra busy. How many cashiers do you think we had? Two. Two cashiers, plus the CSM. For a grocery store. On Easter weekend.

Assholes; surge isn't surge if it lasts all loving day. You can talk a good game about customer service and providing a quality shopping experience, but guess what? If you pare down our hours to save a nickel, it costs you a dime. We're behind on labor in every department. The front end is/was constantly screaming for help. Corporate would rather turn every day into Rorke's Shift instead of giving us the men we need to actually win the fight, because they might make a few dollars less.

Vice president of Some Bullshit is coming to visit our store for some stupid rear end reason. I hope I am not around for it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Rorke's Shift....Vice president of Some Bullshit....

Keep writing !

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kill the VP imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Boss: Hey you're gonna stay another hour

Me: April fools right :D

Boss: :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU