Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I just started reading this.

why is coyote so cool like all the time forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

GunganRevenge posted:

I just started reading this.

why is coyote so cool like all the time forever
Because he is oh so clever and smart.

Weird that the update isn't right at midnight PST, but on the upside I figured out what Coyote's pose in the last panel reminded me of: racism!

edit: oh no, not the other ear!

Fecha fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Annie got her game face on. Something's going to get singed.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

That's an odd face in the second panel...

But Annie's about to get her agidyne on in the last panel.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Every good diplomat needs to know the universal language of love math Esperanto violence.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Go home, Annie, you're drunk.

Annie gets her game face on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo's gonna get wrecked :munch:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

The best face in the comic so far.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Shouldn't it be "wink wink"? Come on, Tom.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Go home, Annie, you're drunk.

Annie gets her game face on.

:argh: I was just about to post those!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Burn them, Annie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now is no time for silly wonks.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Portals posted:

:argh: I was just about to post those!

Fecha posted:

Shouldn't it be "wink wink"? Come on, Tom.

:wink:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
^ darn

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

What is going on in those first two panels? At first I read it as her coming out of the ether back into the real world, but she wasn't in ethereal mode in the last strip. There's just a weird unexplained glow in the last panel, and the first panel of today's.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

What is going on in those first two panels? At first I read it as her coming out of the ether back into the real world, but she wasn't in ethereal mode in the last strip. There's just a weird unexplained glow in the last panel, and the first panel of today's.

It look to me like she might have been teleported back to where she was before she went after the wisp(behind the big rock). Supposing that she actually did leave her physical location to chase the voice and didn't just take an Astral Jaunt or something.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TG: i will take what u say
TG: underd serisous advicement...,
TG: *WONK* ~_?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm going to go with the most obvious explanation. Visions with in visions, insinuating she never actually moved from the second to last panel http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1246 onward.

But then I also read the whole wisp exchange as Coyote talking with his mouth full the first time through, so who knows.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 25, 2013

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Oh god, Drunk annie might be one of my favorite panels for an avatar. If I didn't already have Parley trying to communicate, I would get that so fast. I'm going to enjoy the next page, just to see her learn how forest diplomacy works.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I have to hold on to my av until at least this Sunday but those gifs are mighty tempting right now.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The very first thing I thought upon seeing that panel is "I gotta animate some gifs outta that face" but thankfully someone beat me to it, and it was wonderful.

Love that "let's get dangerous" face at the end too!

vvv I think most of what we saw happpened in her mind, and she woke up vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 25, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first thing I thought of with that white light, is what if Coyote just pulled that memory out of her. Was there something there that happened that he didn't want Annie to see? If so, was the one side of her face "blinking" similar to symptoms of a stroke?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I took the white light to be coyote vanishing, but I agree it could definitely be something more ominous.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Unhappy Meal posted:

I'm going to go with the most obvious explanation. Visions with in visions, insinuating she never actually moved from the second to last panel http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1246 onward.

I think you're right. That's definitely the same chunk of masonry that she's behind in that panel and then in panel 3 of today's strip. Either Coyote just whipped out his teleportation gun, or she was standing there all along.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My guess is that wisps don't really exist outside of the ether, but Annie's tried to make it seem like it was 'real' in order to keep her from questioning the experience.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
The white light is being blinded by the etheric radiance of the wasp and probably Coyote himself. Ether seemed to bleed into reality there, and the switch back is probably somewhat disorienting. Also, Annie had just had her mind messed with, so that's disconcerting as well.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Hmmm, now I wonder: Does Annie have her sword?

And is she willing to use it? :ohdear:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Rasamune posted:

Hmmm, now I wonder: Does Annie have her sword?

And is she willing to use it? :ohdear:

She can Agidyne those punks to oblivion, why would she need a sword?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like to think that Annie is particularly miffed about that one beak on Ysengrin's other remaining ear. She's all "aw hell naw, bitches ain't makin' Ysengrin earless!"

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's fine, the monsters are just giving him a big ol' hug.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

heenato posted:

Oh god, Drunk annie might be one of my favorite panels for an avatar. If I didn't already have Parley trying to communicate, I would get that so fast. I'm going to enjoy the next page, just to see her learn how forest diplomacy works.

Well yeah you never get rid of Parley-tars

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So is Ysengrin losing on purpose in order to force Antimony to intervene, does anyone reckon? Or is he legitimately getting overwhelmed by these monsters?

'cos the latter would be
you know
kind of pathetic

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

V. Illych L. posted:

So is Ysengrin losing on purpose in order to force Antimony to intervene, does anyone reckon? Or is he legitimately getting overwhelmed by these monsters?

'cos the latter would be
you know
kind of pathetic

I figure the latter, and it would be pathetic, and I think that's kind of the point

\/ Allow me to revise my statement: It would certainly be understandable, but Ysengrin would surely be mortified if he had to be rescued by a little girl (even if said little girl has fire powers and possibly a sword that can cut through anything)

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 25, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Hey, we don't know how many he's fought up to this point while Annie was being lied to by a wispy-waspy-doggie treat. For all we know he's fought like 3 or 4 dozen of these guys and it's beginning to wear him down. Go on, try fighting off a few dozen guys without taking a Gatorade break, it's almost as tiring as soccer.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bear in mind that Ysen's actual physical strength is pretty non-existent. He's just a quavering old wolf who probably couldn't run five feet without needing to stop for a breather. The strength and endurance of a goon, in other words. All his power comes from Coyote's gift, and we know almost nothing about how that gift works, or how much influence Coyote might still have over it. If Ysengrin ever gets his own sort of redemption story arc, it might involve him renouncing his tree body entirely and learning to walk on his own, as it were.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
You know, I think a lot of people attributed Ysengrin's slowly disappearing ear to Coyote loving with him, but todays comic makes me wonder if he doesn't just come down and get into fights with these guys every once in a while.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Ysengrin isn't anything if not proud, so even though he might be called General it's entirely possible that he really is not as powerful as he used to be and refuses to acknowledge it. Those guys look pretty small compared to him, but I guess if he was swarmed that might be a different story.

I am legitimately curious as to how he's going to handle Annie's assistance.

Or this whole thing is like when Annie asked a bunch of scary beings to deliver an apology card to Mort. They'll all have a great big laugh, and Fun City will live up to its name.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

AE-35 Unit posted:

Ysengrin isn't anything if not proud, so even though he might be called General it's entirely possible that he really is not as powerful as he used to be and refuses to acknowledge it. Those guys look pretty small compared to him, but I guess if he was swarmed that might be a different story.

I am legitimately curious as to how he's going to handle Annie's assistance.

Or this whole thing is like when Annie asked a bunch of scary beings to deliver an apology card to Mort. They'll all have a great big laugh, and Fun City will live up to its name.

The last Fun City didn't end up being Fun at all :(
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=454

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Well, it was fun until Zimmy showed up and ruined everything with her weird, spider-infested noggin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

cafel posted:

You know, I think a lot of people attributed Ysengrin's slowly disappearing ear to Coyote loving with him, but todays comic makes me wonder if he doesn't just come down and get into fights with these guys every once in a while.

I don't think it was slowly disappearing. I think Tom's art style and his depiction of the ear gradually changed over time.