Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

My wall looked similar, not as bad but close. Wood sill under the window was rotten. Did the same thing the engineers recommended on a biogrowth job I did downtown, bleached the gently caress out of it and replaced the rotten pieces. Vapor barrier wasn’t a thing when these old houses were built. The tile was the only water barrier.

I think white vinegar is actually better at killing things, but I didn’t know that until recently. If sealed up it won’t get worse and it won’t come inside.

You'd think without a vapour barrier the structure would also be able to dry out but :shrug:

Anyway wouldn't an ozonator also be a good idea just to be on the safe side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey guys, I have a resources question. My boyfriend, who did not grow up with the benefit of This Old House playing on PBS all the time and without a whole room of his house devoted to power tools, is now working for McLargeCorp's as a systems and sales engineer in charge of revewing contractor estimates and blueprints.

Until two days ago, he did not know the difference between plywood and sheetrock, other then their relevant costs. He is eager to learn though! He's a real champ like that, it's why I keep him around <3 . He watched six hours of random youtube vids on construction in a sitting, taking notes. He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

I suggested This Old House and following my dad around Lowes for 20 years asking pesky questions, but other then that, I'm stumped.

I have a pretty hard philosophical line on land/build price VS expected return value VS gently caress this I'm leaving the design to a factory I can add mods and colors to. JUST LIKE MODEL BUILDING! All I can promise you is a lovely shed at some point. Possibly a bonkers barn. Probably just a boring prefab I finagel an extra porch onto off the kitchen. But no, Groverhaus is to be avoided. Sorry folks!

Is this for commercial or industrial buildings, or homes? There's a big gulf between building a single-family home, and building even something simple like a Target store.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is this for commercial or industrial buildings, or homes? There's a big gulf between building a single-family home, and building even something simple like a Target store.

Fast food restaurants of the drive through variety.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jerry Cotton posted:

You'd think without a vapour barrier the structure would also be able to dry out but :shrug:

It would, but slower than it got wet. Our shower sees 2-4 uses per day depending on if we both go to the gym. So that’s twice in the morning and once or twice in the evening, for a space that’s not getting much air movement. During periods that are high humidity anyway, zero chance of drying.

I’d just get the good mold killer that someone just recommended, replace bad wood and the window, insulate and seal it on up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is essentially a textbook overview of building construction. You can get it on Kindle. I think this, or probably an earlier version is one of my books from college, but it's been a long time since I referred to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Building-Construction-Materials-Methods/dp/1118138910

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey guys, I have a resources question. My boyfriend, who did not grow up with the benefit of This Old House playing on PBS all the time and without a whole room of his house devoted to power tools, is now working for McLargeCorp's as a systems and sales engineer in charge of revewing contractor estimates and blueprints.

Until two days ago, he did not know the difference between plywood and sheetrock, other then their relevant costs. He is eager to learn though! He's a real champ like that, it's why I keep him around <3 . He watched six hours of random youtube vids on construction in a sitting, taking notes. He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

I suggested This Old House and following my dad around Lowes for 20 years asking pesky questions, but other then that, I'm stumped.

Everyone already had good recommendations, but you do know that This Old House has full episodes online, right? https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/old-house-tv

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Suspect Bucket posted:

I’ve been doing structure claims for the better part of 30-years, and commercial ones for the past six. I also build for fun. Feel free to PM me, I’ll answer any questions y’all might have.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kid sinister posted:

Everyone already had good recommendations, but you do know that This Old House has full episodes online, right? https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/old-house-tv

Yep, I watch them when I'm sad or depressed. This Old House is incredibly soothing to me, they remind me of happy nights with my dad in front of the TV, watching PBS.

There was another home building show we watched that had a regular female cast member. I thought for years it was also This Old House, but googling wont give me any information.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, I'll pass them along! And probably browse through them myself.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Are you thinking of Hometime With Dean Johnson and various female co-hosts over the years?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

One Legged Ninja posted:

Are you thinking of Hometime With Dean Johnson and various female co-hosts over the years?

Might have been! Hey, dumb question. Was there ever an episode where they built a small robot out of copper pipes, phased out of existence with a cheesy video toaster fade, and ended the show on a creepy answering machine message? Or did I dream that as a child? Because that sequence scared the crap out of me for years. This would have been in '89 - '92

edit: And yes, it was in fact Hometime, just started watching them again on Youtube. Yaaaaaay oh my god I remember this theme song and I wanted to be Joanne Liebeler when I grew up

I'm sure these easy-to-follow vhs tapes are the cause for many of the nightmares in this thread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 15, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
In regards to those moldy walls, I would recommend a mix of sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide. That will melt fungal tissue and even kill meiotic spores. In addition, id get a sander and grind the affected area AFTER the initial treatment, then repeat the treatment to ensure you've gotten it all.

Or just burn the place down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAH!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
heroes on the half shell
turtle power

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a pretty hard philosophical line on land/build price VS expected return value VS gently caress this I'm leaving the design to a factory I can add mods and colors to. JUST LIKE MODEL BUILDING! All I can promise you is a lovely shed at some point. Possibly a bonkers barn. Probably just a boring prefab I finagel an extra porch onto off the kitchen. But no, Groverhaus is to be avoided. Sorry folks!

I bought this a while back, and it seems like a really good basic introduction to housebuilding and the tools and techniques involved. Larry Haun is one of those guys who could legitimately solo build an entire house on his own.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume the correct way to handle this is to put a gutter or dyke at the top of the stairs?

What's she supposed to do, stand there with her arms out to block the water?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mycomancy posted:

In regards to those moldy walls, I would recommend a mix of sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide. That will melt fungal tissue and even kill meiotic spores. In addition, id get a sander and grind the affected area AFTER the initial treatment, then repeat the treatment to ensure you've gotten it all.

Midway between the two, sawzall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

packetmantis posted:

What's she supposed to do, stand there with her arms out to block the water?

This wasn't a great joke when someone made it last page.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Might have been! Hey, dumb question. Was there ever an episode where they built a small robot out of copper pipes, phased out of existence with a cheesy video toaster fade, and ended the show on a creepy answering machine message? Or did I dream that as a child? Because that sequence scared the crap out of me for years. This would have been in '89 - '92

That doesn't ring any bells for me, but they did do cheesy things from time to time, so it wouldn't surprise me.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Tortilla Maker posted:

And what about the area behind/around this poorly framed window. :aaa:

Oho, that's going to be "fun". The tub is going to have to come out, and you're going to have to rip out all those rotten 2x4's and reframe. It looks like the majority of the damage is from a leaky window instead of the tub, so with luck the walls on either end of the tub won't be too bad... but don't get your hopes up. I guarantee that the subfloor under the tub will be equally hosed, and so will the joists underneath that, and probably even the sill plate underneath that. Get ready for :homebrew::a2m::homebrew:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jaded Burnout posted:

It *was* a good joke in Good Morning, Vietnam, but 1987 was a different time.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

gently caress, I didn't see it. :negative:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slugworth posted:

It *was* a good joke in Good Morning, Vietnam, but 1987 was a different time.

"Don't go near there!"
"But, Mary..."
"DON'T GO NEAR THERE!"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mycomancy posted:

I wouldn’t sand it if you didn’t think the mold was gone. No need to make it into a fine dust to spread around the house.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Darchangel posted:

"Don't go near there!"
"But, Mary..."
"DON'T GO NEAR THERE!"

They're women in comfortable shoes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This was my city's solution to... something.

Isn't patching asphalt with cement a bad idea?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

This was my city's solution to... something.

My town did the same thing... except worse. They ripped up the road and put in new asphalt. Then they came back about a week later and cut a similarly sized hole in it and did something... then poured concrete into it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Javid posted:

If it's temporary, not really. It's not a permanent fix though, since cement and asphalt will expand and contract at different rates with temperature changes and the concrete will probably crack within a year.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They do it all the time here in Texas around the various access covers in the road.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I had to replace my kitchen faucet because the idiots who owned this house didn't seal it properly so water rusted out the fixtures holding the faucet head to the basin. I found this under my sink.

There's a goddamn pipe loop under my sink! What purpose, if any, could this serve?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Um...huh.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

mycomancy posted:

I had to replace my kitchen faucet because the idiots who owned this house didn't seal it properly so water rusted out the fixtures holding the faucet head to the basin. I found this under my sink.

There's a goddamn pipe loop under my sink! What purpose, if any, could this serve?

Maybe for a new sink or removed a dishwasher connection and they didn’t want to cut pipes.

More importantly, why is there a floating junction box in a wet area?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cowofwar posted:

Maybe for a new sink or removed a dishwasher connection and they didn’t want to cut pipes.

It's affixed to the wall as well as possible. When we bought the place it was dangling under a leaky pipe and had burned up the switching outlet. The people who had this place before us didn't do anything in terms of maintenance.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

cowofwar posted:

It's an outlet box and it's not floating, see, there's exactly one fastener holding it to the cabinet!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

It's an outlet box and it's not floating, see, there's exactly one fastener holding it to the cabinet!

This guy gets it!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mycomancy posted:

It's affixed to the wall as well as possible. When we bought the place it was dangling under a leaky pipe and had burned up the switching outlet. The people who had this place before us didn't do anything in terms of maintenance.
It doesn't appear to be a gfi. Unless it's daisy chained off of one, you should definitely rectify that.

Sweet pipe screensaver though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slugworth posted:

It doesn't appear to be a gfi. Unless it's daisy chained off of one, you should definitely rectify that.

Sweet pipe screensaver though.

I've got a GFI upcurrent from that one. The goal is to get all of the electrical code violations solved before the end of the year. It's ambitious to say the least.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

mycomancy posted:

It's a vent loop. You use them on islands or places where you can't run a real vent. You're looks incorrectly done to me, though.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a loop vent looks like this and actually ties into a real riser:

That situation could easily be fixed by cutting the top off of the loop and putting a studor vent there, and cutting the rest of the loop out at the wye and capping it. Bonus points for using a screw-in cleanout cap.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Not Crappy Construction but probably inspired by crappy construction

omg they have a matching trashcan :3: