Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, I'm currently at work (I'll be home in around 2-2.5hrs), but my userID on Steam is Major Isoor, same as on the forums. I'm in the SA X-Wing group as well. If you don't send me a friend req before I get home, I'll shoot one your way. How long will you be available for? Since although I've downloaded and added all the X-Wing stuff for TTS, I haven't been able to test it, so I may need to check it out first, before our game - just to make sure I don't bomb out halfway through :v:

We appear to be friends already. Added you and sent you some messages (I'm US EST) with possible game times etc. Just hit me up via Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
As of right now I have received nine (9) out of 22 lists for this week. If you have not sent one in already, still no pressure since there are 10+ days to play your game, but I'd like them ideally before games are played.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Siggy2021 you don't have PMs! We must arrange our game!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I want Hera in an A-Wing so bad. :( Preferably along with a Phoenix Squadron Pilot with built-in Draw Their Fire.

Some Numbers posted:

I think TFA is the third best Star Wars movie, maybe the second, depending on one's feelings towards ANH.

I'd be with you on TFA being second if not for ANH's death star battle. It's the best space battle in any Star Wars film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eimi posted:

Thanks a lot for that. I can't really say I feel the same or you've convinced me, but that really shows where people are coming when they say they like Rey. Certainly will keep that sort of thing in mind if I ever rewatch the movie.

I mean I do feel stupid for not reading that stuff in myself, but I guess I also prefer things more broadly shouted at you and obvious, as you mentioned SMG and what he's said has never felt genuine to me. Like sure he can make a massive argument for it and his argument has some validity, but it doesn't feel like it was intended, not saying that's what's happening in TFA. I dunno my favorite recent movie was also Pacific Rim and nothing about that movie can be said to be complicated either. It wears its heart on its sleeve and I respect that.

I guess more in that SMG reads esoteric meanings into everything and for entertainment I am fine with more exoteric ones. I do feel like an idiot now so I'll shut up.

I will never be mad at someone who thinks SMG is bullshit.

Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

"Deathfire" (17)
Extra Munitions (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Captain Jonus (22)
Adaptability (0)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Systems Officer (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I call them the Improbable Lobbers

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 3, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
who the gently caress is SMG

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ghetto wormhole posted:

Sarah Michelle Gellar has some weird opinions about movies, okay

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

not knowing this will be a much happier existence for you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ghetto wormhole posted:

Subterrainian Mutant Gorillamen, the disappointing sequel to Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kai Tave posted:

Sarah Michelle Gellar has some weird opinions about movies, okay

This is such a good post, I wish it was real.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ghetto wormhole posted:

A literal insane person who posts terrible opinions in Cinema Discusso, and yes, I realize that's redundant.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Some Numbers posted:

This is such a good post, I wish it was real.

For a brief moment I thought that somehow she was making YouTube reviews or something. Then I remembered there's a poster with that name. I...I'm not sure if I'm glad or disappointed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I used to think GBS was the forum for weirdo contrarian opinions, but when it comes to discussing films, it's probably better than CD because of the Supermechagodzilla effect.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I used to think GBS was the forum for weirdo contrarian opinions, but when it comes to discussing films, it's probably better than CD because of the Supermechagodzilla effect.

CD is unironically the shittest subforum.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

kingcom posted:

I know it's just like, opinions, man, but I don't know how else to classify people that believe the prequels are "Good Movies" and that TFA is trash other than to call them wrong. My mind cannot come up with a nuanced approach here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's not even just the bad opinions, it's the constant seeking of subtext that isn't there or the misunderstanding of subtext the director or writer did put in the script. And it's posted in such a serious manner that if you question any aspect of it, you're a plebeian who just doesn't get it because you're not a
~:siren: True Internet Film God :siren:~

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

kingcom posted:

Isn't there an anime sub-forum? And one where people just post about people who play video games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Isn't there an anime sub-forum?
He said shittiest.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Siggy2021 you don't have PMs! We must arrange our game!

I need to buy that already.

I'm available during the week around 6:30 EST. This weekend is shaky, Saturday is out for sure and Sunday I'm probably open but I'm not sure.

The good news is I have a staycation next week, and can probably take some time out of Stellaris to play x-wangs.

I also spent about an hour with TTS last night and I think I have it all figured out. I've also decided that, at least for now, I'm only going to play with stuff I own. So be prepared for me to be super terrible.

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 3, 2016

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hey, I'm just getting into this game and I want to start with Imperial at least. Tie interceptors seem really cool but I can't decide to buy the Tie Interceptor pack or the Imperial Aces pack? Imperial Aces seems better, the only card I really want from TIE Interceptor is Soontir Fel...but Soontir Fel seems pretty cool too (he was pretty cool in the old X-wing comics). Any recommendations on one versus the other?

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Fritzler posted:

Hey, I'm just getting into this game and I want to start with Imperial at least. Tie interceptors seem really cool but I can't decide to buy the Tie Interceptor pack or the Imperial Aces pack? Imperial Aces seems better, the only card I really want from TIE Interceptor is Soontir Fel...but Soontir Fel seems pretty cool too (he was pretty cool in the old X-wing comics). Any recommendations on one versus the other?

Aces gets you a lot of fun cards and is good bang for your buck so to speak but soontir fel is hands down the best interceptor pilot. If you like imps it is really not bad to get both.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fritzler posted:

You'll want both eventually if you want to fly interceptors, but I'd probably go with Aces first. There are good interceptor pilots in Aces, and Soontir is way less exciting without Push The Limit, which is only in Aces and the A-Wing expansion pack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

alg posted:

Isn't there an anime sub-forum? And one where people just post about people who play video games.

What's your point?

Fritzler posted:

Are you planning to fly three Interceptors? If not, just get Aces, especially if you're okay with proxying pilots and upgrades.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Some Numbers posted:

Are you planning to fly three Interceptors? If not, just get Aces. If you really need the actual Soontir Fel card, I have an extra one.

Unfortunately you need the cardboard square as well, which is trickier to get since there are more Fel cards than bases out there. (thanks to the promos)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Less tricky if a person has purchased two Interceptor blisters.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Some Numbers posted:

Less tricky if a person has purchased two Interceptor blisters.

Or four...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Has FFG ever said why Imperial Aces was two Interceptors instead of an Interceptor and something else?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Finster Dexter posted:

I know it's just like, opinions, man, but I don't know how else to classify people that believe the prequels are "Good Movies" and that TFA is trash other than to call them wrong. My mind cannot come up with a nuanced approach here.

The funniest part about the Star Wars discussion leading up to TFA is that you could just sense that SMG was winding up to poo poo all over it if people thought it was good. There was no way he wasn't going to find some reason why "it's not really Star Wars."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Has FFG ever said why Imperial Aces was two Interceptors instead of an Interceptor and something else?

I don't know, but I'd guess it's because Interceptors are really cool.

Why does the Interceptor blister have 6 pilots while most other ones only have 4?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OK - thanks for the rapid response. I'll definitely get Imperial Aces and PM Some Numbers, but probably get an Interceptor at some point anyways.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Interceptor aces needed two because of the rabid Fel and Royal guard fans. The alternate color scheme necessitates two.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Wasn't Imp aces also the first one? Probably just the first iteration of the idea, then realized it made lots more sense to do different ships (sell more blisters, and sell more Aces sets? Go!). I think the Interceptor was in need of help most at that point, aaaaaand on top of that there was still the Great Interceptor Drought ongoing.

Seriously, I didn't preorder an interceptor, and did not see one in a store for over a year. A-Wings, too, but I did eventually get one from someone else. I stopped playing for a big chunk of that time because I just couldn't get the ships.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Man, tomorrow's May the Fourth, my LGS is having a 30% off sale and I'm not sure if I actually need to get anything.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Any sites going to have good sales for tomorrow? I got money to burn and shelf space to fill

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Here's those trays I mentioned before, in action at my LFGS X-wing night:

My first game was Inky and two interceptor aces (Jax and Tetron.)

Inky and Friends - 100 Points

Carnor Jax (37)
Expose (4)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Stealth Device (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

The Inquisitor (33)
Opportunist (4)
TIE/v1 (1)
Stealth Device (3)

Tetran Cowall (34)

TIE Interceptor, Unique
Outmaneuver (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Stealth Device (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

I wanted to try some new things, experimenting with EPTs I don't normally use.

My opponent was flying an E-Wing with Corran and 3 rookie A test pilots.

I was doing good at first, my opponent is pretty new to the game and was crashing a few
times into asteriods. I had a good pincer starting out:

I pretty quicky got rid of most of the A-wings. I lost Tetron.
Then I started making mistakes and for some reason flying over (multiple times) asteriods,
thinking it was worth it do risk the damage than flying around nad loosing momentum
(it really isn't).

I ended up crashing into myself a bit, like this glorious wreck.

I also kept forgetting to use special abillities, like Oppertunist and Outmanuver, which
would have been a bit more damage. I ended up loosing.

The second game was a Fat Han (I have 3-CPO now!)+Coran list. It actually had simular problems. My opponent (the same person) used Miranda and Han.
We got into a big pile with both Hans. My B-wing was stuck and I intentionally bumped with a 1 bank to stay. Sadly I also forgot to take
advantage of Coran's stress powers a lot. We ran out of time so had to stop short. I think it ended up being an exact tie. (70-70).

E: And I love C-3PO a lot and see why he's popuar. On a single damage rolled I can call "0" with a single DF die and negate the damage either result (barring any modifications he might do afterwards).

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 3, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm also looking for sales info as I'm looking to get a Raider and Transport, and would prefer to get them at a good discount given how much they cost...and how little they give for the main game. At least the Raider is a cool display model.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Fritzler posted:

OK - thanks for the rapid response. I'll definitely get Imperial Aces and PM Some Numbers, but probably get an Interceptor at some point anyways.

If you get a soontir card/base I don't think there's much need for an interceptor expansion - you'd benefit more inty-wise from getting authothrusters and/or stealth device. (the former only comes packaged with a crappy scum ship, unfortunately)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm really hoping Miniature Market has some kind of sale. I already have $180 worth of X-Wing and Armada in my cart :getin:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fritzler posted:

I'd argue strongly that Carnor is actually better than Soontir in the current meta, to be honest. Shutting down u-boats is huge. I'd start with aces, and if you find yourself wanting a bit more toughness or a bit more PS, grab the blister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I practiced with this list the other day, and I've done better with this Dash list than any other, so far. I feel like it needs some fine-tuning, though. With Poe, there are just too many extra points floating around.

Dash Rendar (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Proton Rockets (3)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Weapons Guidance (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

It's just a little awkward. I'm not totally sold on Weapons Guidance, but is useful if I don't plan to regen that round. I thought about putting Torps+Chimps on Poe, but I really don't want to spend his action on target locks when he needs focus so badly. I dunno. I beat Palp Aces with it, so I'm feeling good, but I still need to practice against u-boats.

• Locked thread