Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Man after doing the snoozefests that were Magic DPS and Tank, the Ranged DPS role quest is real fuckin' good.

I think the role quests very much come down to if you're into the story they tell, because I actually found the caster role quests great, while ranged DPS was kind of a whiff.

I think my main problem with ranged DPS was that the person bringing up issues about Hien's leadership turning out to be a con artist means that they kinda just throw out the fact that she's totally right. I love both sides of that story, and I think it's great that you can put a hot-reading spirit medium into a fantasy setting and there's genuine uncertainty about if she's legit, because 'spirit medium' is far from the weirdest thing around. But put them both in one story in the way they did and they just eat each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Late to this but Hades is such a Dark knight part of his personal storyline you go through involves him creating hosed up shadows of the ones he loved, some of which do not actively work towards his personal goals because of his emotional trauma and connections to them and he dies serving out his at least 15k year long oath to save them all by slaying us, no matter his mixed feelings about it at that point because he is a slave to that goal.

He's the most DRK you can be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jetrauben posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, logically familiars in "present day" Etheirys are generally extensions of their creators, right? They're Stands. They may sometimes have a degree of autonomy and independent awareness but their creators generally treat them like tools because they are just forks of their maker's will. Some fey even indicate they have a psychic link until it's severed.

It makes me wonder if Meteion has a soul of her own or if she's just an extension of Hermes' imagination.

the ancients didn't have to pay for retainers but our sundered asses got no choice

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

The Caster role quests annoyed me for one very petty reason: Mr Priest, when told the invalid mentioned him by name, says "I don't know why he would talk about me or Pope Thordan", I was all set for the beautiful detective moment of pointing out we never said he mentioned the Elfpope, and instead we immediately get an Echo vision of his guilt instead.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The Caster role quests annoyed me for one very petty reason: Mr Priest, when told the invalid mentioned him by name, says "I don't know why he would talk about me or Pope Thordan", I was all set for the beautiful detective moment of pointing out we never said he mentioned the Elfpope, and instead we immediately get an Echo vision of his guilt instead.

My problem with them was that I think they had the least sympathetic victims. And that includes vs. the collaborationists!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

OddObserver posted:

My problem with them was that I think they had the least sympathetic victims. And that includes vs. the collaborationists!

That too. And the collaborators were pretty dang sympathetic, that's why Fordola's been an interesting character this whole time. Thought the idea of freedom was so hopeless that they did what they felt they had to to survive.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It would have helped if we actually saw innocent priests get discriminated against.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hellioning posted:

It would have helped if we actually saw innocent priests get discriminated against.

If you haven't, you should do the Scholasticate quests. A lot of the stuff the caster role quests dealt with is a continuation of stuff introduced there.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The central problem of the Caster quests is we've seen enough treatment of Ishgard in-depth that the amount of time allowed for a single role questline just does not add up, and as a result its developments feel decidedly hollow and barebones. We don't even actually learn much about the doctrinal issues in play, especially since we largely haven't actually seen any evidence of an Ishgardian crisis of faith or a sympathetic core to the Church's doctrines. We're just told there is one, even though most of our experiences with Ishgardian theocracy are decidedly negative.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

sweet geek swag posted:

If you haven't, you should do the Scholasticate quests. A lot of the stuff the caster role quests dealt with is a continuation of stuff introduced there.

It also has my favorite use of the Echo in the game, where you don't get a vision at all, but bluff that you already have to get someone to confess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

It also has my favorite use of the Echo in the game, where you don't get a vision at all, but bluff that you already have to get someone to confess.

Ah yes, the Krile Maneuver.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

This is why I disliked the caster role quests. They felt like they covered the exact same material as the Scholasticate quests without really adding anything new. Just more ‘Ishgard being Ishgard’.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure Venat literally just supercharged the crystal, not that it changed the magic spell it does. So the Scions came back because you called them back, Venat's supercharge maybe lasted that long. But you can probably call them say, from anywhere on Ethierys if you yourself are there.

I think Venat specifically gave the crystal the ability to create matter - i.e. turn the Scions from bodyless spirits back to people with bodies (and same with Emet Selch/Hythlodaeus). The crystal on its own can just summon people to you (but people who already physically exist somewhere). So that's the distinction.

ImpAtom posted:

No, Hades in his own twisted way was doing exactly that. That's the entire point. His viewpoint was that he was doing the exact same things they were doing in Elpis, destorying the malformed so they could be created in a better way. He genuinely believed it was the only path available to rescuing his people and was willing to do anything and stand against anyone to do it. The fact that you eventually broke his resolve and proved him wrong didn't change that was who he was. Someone willing to do anything and everything from what they thought was right, even if other people (correctly) considered them a monster for it.

Hades realized pretty early that the new sundered people had value, though. He was in denial about it (largely because of what it implied about his own actions), but he definitely didn't just have unfaltering conviction until you came along. Long before the events of Shadowbringers, he had already reached a point where he was having doubts (and on some level probably realized that the sundered people were people with value), but there was just too big of a sunk cost (plus the fact that admitting this would reframe his past actions as atrocities).

Gaius is better in some ways and worse in others. He has less of an excuse for not realizing that killing a bunch of people is bad (since he's a person himself of the same nature of those he hurt), but the magnitude of his actual actions (and the importance of his role in them) is significant less than Emet Selch's.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 15, 2022

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I think the role quests very much come down to if you're into the story they tell, because I actually found the caster role quests great, while ranged DPS was kind of a whiff.

I think my main problem with ranged DPS was that the person bringing up issues about Hien's leadership turning out to be a con artist means that they kinda just throw out the fact that she's totally right. I love both sides of that story, and I think it's great that you can put a hot-reading spirit medium into a fantasy setting and there's genuine uncertainty about if she's legit, because 'spirit medium' is far from the weirdest thing around. But put them both in one story in the way they did and they just eat each other.

How is she right? Her basic pitch was a mix of "gently caress you for having your families come back alive" and "how come you didn't summarily execute Yotsuyu when she was an amnesiac?"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sweet geek swag posted:

didn't the scholasticate quest reveal that the church kept children in secret lightless basements where their only purpose was to be living mycrimes.txt, only to kill them when it's time to get new children to carry on the oral history of their atrocities?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

a cartoon duck posted:

didn't the scholasticate quest reveal that the church kept children in secret lightless basements where their only purpose was to be living mycrimes.txt, only to kill them when it's time to get new children to carry on the oral history of their atrocities?

Orphaned lowborn, specifically, but yes.

The only person that has any comeuppance from this is the person who was one of them and tried to expose this to the greater public.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Cleretic posted:

I know Something Awful hates Hien for being a cosmic plaything, but saying that he should have let her and her mob ritually sacrifice the conscripted domans that he spent his political capital to save to the blasphemy is a little silly

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

People can have legitimate anger that deserves examination and fair consideration but if you start pulling some dumb bad poo poo due to that anger all bets are off.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

pulled up to that gremlin at the beginning of the ranged dps role quests and "boss you killed a child" resonates in my head

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Argas posted:

People can have legitimate anger that deserves examination and fair consideration but if you start pulling some dumb bad poo poo due to that anger all bets are off.

yeah it's pretty explicit that what the antagonist of the Ranged DPS questline wants is monstrous and selfish.

It's one thing to go "it's unjust my family didn't come back from the war and yours did," it is very much another to go "therefore the gods demand we murder the people who did come back so everyone can be miserable equally."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kyrosiris posted:

Orphaned lowborn, specifically, but yes.

The only person that has any comeuppance from this is the person who was one of them and tried to expose this to the greater public.

It's those orphaned lowborn students who get harrassed by the common citizens in that quest

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jetrauben posted:

yeah it's pretty explicit that what the antagonist of the Ranged DPS questline wants is monstrous and selfish.

It's one thing to go "it's unjust my family didn't come back from the war and yours did," it is very much another to go "therefore the gods demand we murder the people who did come back so everyone can be miserable equally."

I didn't think I needed to clarify that I wasn't standing by her wanting to murder innocent people, but here we go: I do not stand by her wanting to murder innocent people.

I was saying that her criticisms of Hien had a point, and the fact that she's also a charlatan shouldn't delegitimize those criticisms, and yet in the context of the story it does.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cleretic posted:

I didn't think I needed to clarify that I wasn't standing by her wanting to murder innocent people, but here we go: I do not stand by her wanting to murder innocent people.

I was saying that her criticisms of Hien had a point, and the fact that she's also a charlatan shouldn't delegitimize those criticisms, and yet in the context of the story it does.

They're completely inextricable. Her base criticism is that they should have murdered an amnesiac.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

No, what I mean is there's really no concrete, valid criticisms of Hien other than those. She doesn't criticize Hien's refusal to hold Yotsuyu's trafficker accountable, nor does she criticize his general resistance to rocking the boat. Even her condemnation of Hien about Yotsuyu is that he didn't murder her when she was amnesiac and defenseless. Her entire condemnation is of Hien's better nature, not his mistakes as a leader - she's mad that he showed mercy to a defeated and helpless woman. She's the voice of traditional Doma, the purity ethics and patriarchy and desire to bury unpleasant truths, not the criticism of Hien's culpability with it.

Any discussion of The Yotsuyu Plot keeps hitting the fundamental problem of her entire plot being built on a bad evocation of sex trafficking that the story uses to justify a character being borderline genocidally tyrannical that always leaves a moral bad taste in one's mouth. It's not good to set up a situation of "justice for a sex trafficking victim or justice for her victims?" because, generally speaking, trafficking victims do not rise to the highest positions of government authority. Creating such a moral dilemma is highly artificial and exists largely for pathos.

Hell, she pretty explicitly conflates the returning conscripts with Yotsuyu herself. Both are viewed by her as impure offenses to the kami for having been allowed to live. Hien is Allowing Corruption into Doma, in her view, and he needs to violently purge it by summary execution.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 16, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a cartoon duck posted:

:shittypop: I can’t believe I put those quests off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I never really understood that reveal since it seems like entrusting your darkest secrets to a forsaken child who hates you and spent the last twenty years in an oubliette seems like a great way for the new pope to find out that the Church's hidden secret is either "your mother is a whore" or "all rats are secretly very small dragons; I know because my friend Mr. Mixies who lives in the walls tells me so."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I went in to the Scholasticate quests expecting comedy, since they have that investigator introduced in the first Hildibrand arc, and oh boy were they not comedy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FuturePastNow posted:

I went in to the Scholasticate quests expecting comedy, since they have that investigator introduced in the first Hildibrand arc, and oh boy were they not comedy

The Scholasticate quests are essentially FFXIV's take on an Ace Attorney case. Specifically one of the final cases, where there are funny things happening at times but the overall tone is serious.

I believe the original plan was that every expansion would have a different kind of offbeat 'comedy side-story', and the Scholasticate was going to be Heavensward's, but then tons of people started asking 'where's Hildibrand'. And I do want to see the stories that would've eventuated from that; maybe a heist in Kugane, a farce in Eulmore, and political satire in Sharlayan.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

People say Urianger is a huge dork but so is Zenos.

He just wants to show you a good time at the end but phrases it all weird. "Hey I know something fun we could do but it's kind of dangerous and you might die. Now, endangering myself is how I have fun but I know that's not quite your thing. But I think you also know how good it feels to feel the thrill of danger."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

:shittypop: I can’t believe I put those quests off.

The Scholasticate questline is extremely important to do because it gives you the /spectacles emote that lets you adjust your glasses if you're wearing them.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Khizan posted:

The Scholasticate questline is extremely important to do because it gives you the /spectacles emote that lets you adjust your glasses if you're wearing them.
even if you don't

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, an idea that just struck me, that I'd like to see what other people can think of for this: What 'NPC jobs' are out there in the game's stories for us to see and recognize as legit, codified and presumably not unique fighting styles in the world, but never get to use? I'm wondering if there might be enough to do a video on at some point.

The ones I can immediately think of are...

-The various Trust job renames (Y'shtola's Sorceress, Alphinaud's Academician)
-Musketeer (used by Merlwyb)
-Garlean Gunbladeer (used by multiple people, most notably Gaius)
-Geomancer (in the AST job quests, used by Kyohuko)
-Thief (in the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Necromancer (in a few places, but 'legitimized' by the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Berserker (in the Heroes' Gauntlet)
-Ascetic (in the ranged role quest, used by Gosetsu)
-Ran'jit's fighting style, maybe? Hard to tell

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Ink Mage

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

So, an idea that just struck me, that I'd like to see what other people can think of for this: What 'NPC jobs' are out there in the game's stories for us to see and recognize as legit, codified and presumably not unique fighting styles in the world, but never get to use? I'm wondering if there might be enough to do a video on at some point.

Ran’jit definitely is using a maiming class. Soul Dragon instead of Voidsent Avatar but has an enshroud and everything. Uses a weapon on a stick. High mobility.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/valarynn/status/1493917209063743489?s=20&t=Upp5i3Cjn_Sb4OBp38Pykw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Beastmaster

All-Rounder (joke)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I do really like this one, it's a cool name for what seems like an evolution of Arcanist that didn't have Primals to jumpstart a shift in focus. I'd like to meet one properly and see what wild Magic Math they pull out.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

Back before his left arm was cut off, Raubahn utilized a variant of Gladiator that dual-wielded swords instead the sword-and-board style used by everyone else in the game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cleretic posted:

-trickster (alpha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cleretic posted:

countblanc already mentioned beastmaster, but Bozja content in general has plenty of npcs that come from Ilsabardian and Othardian schools of combat due to its setting:
-Sartauvoir is a mage-knight from Landis whose style can be described as "what if thaumaturges decided umbral ice is for suckers", plus the ability to temporarily transform into a giant made of fire
-the Verdant Path in Bozja was a school teaching swordsmanship, spearmanship and unarmed combat, but we only Velibor as a great sword user and Aggie as a tonfa user. the school's signature attack is Three As One, which is effective three practitioners syncing up for a shared lb3
-Isolde uses a Bozjan take on Bard/Dancer, since traditional Bozjan dance uses bows as a rythm-keeping tool, and aspiring dancers are required to master the bow as a hunting tool first
-unsure if these are personal fighting styles or actual schools, but Atori and Kosyu are a spear user and axe user respectively from Nagxia whose attack particle effects involve a lot of flower petals to differentiate their style from other spear and axe fighters in the game
-similar Garlean gunblade users, Garlean gunspear users seem to have their own distinct school, since Menenius in Zadnor and the IIIrd Legate during the excursion into Garlemald share a lot of attack names, most notably their Giga Tempest raidwide and Spiral Scourge tankbuster
-this isn't Bozja content related, but Ishgardian knights are generally portrayed to have a style distinct from Ul'dahn gladiators and paladins. both the first boss of the Vault and Artoriel in the paladin Stormblood questline share a lot of moves, including that "dashing across the arena leaving energy balls" pattern as a signature of their style