Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Class Warcraft posted:

Which era? Crusades, Arthurian, or Dark Ages?

I don't really know :shobon: I'm guessing the factions within the eras are designed to be played within that era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Well basically there are three different eras of SAGA: Arthurian (5th century - right after the collapse of Roman Britain), Dark Ages (aka Viking era), and Crusades (around 11-12th century). You'll probably want to check in with anyone you'll potentially be playing with to see which era they're interested in.

Technically all three eras are compatible to play against each other but that wouldn't be ~historically accurate~ which will bother some people.

I've mostly played the Dark Ages era. The various Viking factions are mostly offensive oriented with abilities that give increasing striking power in exchange for fatigue or making your own guys more vulnerable - but they lack cavalry which can make playing against an enemy that has cav very frustrating. The Gaelic factions tend towards hit and run skirmishing tactics which can be absolutely devestating if you play them right. The Normans can take a fuckton of cav which can be very hard to beat.

There are probably a few people here who can give you better info: my SAGA experience is mostly limited to losing over and over again to the same opponent. For whatever reason my brain has a hard time figuring out how to combo the various abilities and I always get stomped.

edit: We're getting into the Crusade era next. I'm planning to field Hospitallers against my friends Mongols - not sure how that is gonna go.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 1, 2020

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
In terms of models, Victrix (Viking, Saxon, Norman) and now Wargames Atlantic (Celtic) either make or have coming out soon great plastic infantry kits for the Dark Ages. For the other periods you’re basically reliant on metal figures of different manufacturers that for the most part are pretty mediocre.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I haven’t played saga yet but I’m painting up a force for post-corona since it has taken off around here.I have some old Gripping Beast plastics and some of the new Victrix plastics, and well the Victrix ones are a big step up in detail and poses.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is this the correct shade of purple for West Germans in the spring of 1985?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

No but the giant radioactive bug monster behind is definitely looking good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Geisladisk posted:

According to Jane's Wasteland Marauders, you're missing some skulls and a couple of the neon-green stripes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Geisladisk posted:

It's perfect is what it is.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I gave my 6 year old an unpainted 28mm Tiger and it ended up a very similar color :v:

spectralent posted:

No but the giant radioactive bug monster behind is definitely looking good.

e. while trying to figure out how much of my V2 FOW stuff was useful I came across this gem: US army vs army of the insects.

quote:

Insect Special RulesAn Army of the Insects is rated Fearless Trained.Perhaps it was the surface testing of nuclear bombs, or a spill of toxic chemicals.Perhaps they were created as a superweapon by the government, only to escape and turn on their masters. They might have even been the product of Soviet sabotage, designed to spread chaos and ensure a communist victory in Korea. Nobody knows how these bugs came to terrorize this quiet mountain town in the heartland of the United States, but their purpose seems fairly clear. If the bugs cannot be defeated or if they escape the valley in which the outbreak has been so far contained, then the future of mankind looks very bleak indeed

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 3, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Guest2553 posted:

That business model is too nickel-and-dimey for me.

Welcome to Battlefront, the GW of Historicals

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

There are probably a few people here who can give you better info: my SAGA experience is mostly limited to losing over and over again to the same opponent. For whatever reason my brain has a hard time figuring out how to combo the various abilities and I always get stomped.

My experience is from losing, a lot, with Vikings in 1E.

Vikings are AAAAGH MOTHERLAND faction, which wants to run in and punch people in the face. You don't get much in the way of cav or archers You're taking fatigue, dumping fatigue, making your troops vulnerable in echange for attack bonuses, and straight up sacrificing troops to kill the enemy.

Maybe not the best faction to play in a Campaign.

Irish and stuff played like motherfuckers that doled basically Mortal Wounds (if you get GW parlance), Normans had Cav and Xbows...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm getting rid of some stuff that's been collecting dust. If you're in the US and are interested in one of the following model kits, send me a PM or email my gmail account at destysa with your address and I'll send it to you, free of charge.

1x S-model 1/72nd T-35
1 box of Plastic Soldier Company 1/72nd Shermans, buildable as M4A4s or Fireflies; two tanks, one box, obvious joke.

I know this is short notice, but I'm hoping to get everything mailed out by Friday afternoon. Hit me up before then if you're interested.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Message sent, asking about the Shermans.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell

Kickstarter for plans for 3d printable 28 and 15 mm WW2 mini infantry, guns, AFVs, and terrain.

Higher level contributions get plans for some 6mm mech and 32mm colonial figures as well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Guest2553 posted:

Kickstarter for plans for 3d printable 28 and 15 mm WW2 mini infantry, guns, AFVs, and terrain.

Higher level contributions get plans for some 6mm mech and 32mm colonial figures as well.

I backed that! The figs look a little chunky IMO, but I figure for the price I can certainly learn to live with that (especially for 15mm, where that'll actually make 'em a bit easier to paint).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Guest2553 posted:

The lads look a bit chunky for 28mm, but I'll try printing the free files to see how the 15mm stuff comes out. There's no dearth of 15mm vehicle models on Thingiverse (or, rather, there's one very extensive pack of them), but infantry is hard to come by.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I also backed that one! Japanese vehicles are a pain to find, and the infantry proportions are dreadful at 28 but should be perfect at 10 or 15.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

JcDent posted:

The lads look a bit chunky for 28mm, but I'll try printing the free files to see how the 15mm stuff comes out. There's no dearth of 15mm vehicle models on Thingiverse (or, rather, there's one very extensive pack of them), but infantry is hard to come by.

Oh, absolutely. I was already cool with them doing Pacific Theater stuff, but when I saw they'd added stuff from the European Theater and Russian Front as stretch goals I was definitely sold.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Them calling the Red Army Russian seems charmingly old grog.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So I printed out the free minis and backed the Kickstarter

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDoBNroAn74/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean, I'll probably back it, but I should probably actually invest in a 3D printer at some point.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to play my first in-person IRL (!!SHIFT+1!!*) game of Bolt Action today, against an old hand in my city, brandishing my soviets newly purchased with your good advice. Will give report later.

* I will be wearing the finest NBC gear the glorious quartermaster's corps can provide, natch

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 9, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, I'll probably back it, but I should probably actually invest in a 3D printer at some point.

For minis, resin is probably better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What is the difference and what kind of printers should you look at for miniatures?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

What is the difference and what kind of printers should you look at for miniatures?

Basically resin printers are good at doing small things, like single miniature, with much better resolution. They have rapidly improved the last couple of years. The older type, where you print from a spool, is still the go-to for terrain etc, as they can make much bigger stuff. But you can’t get nearly the same resolution.

On top of that resin is more fiddly afaik.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Resin also stinks, but meh. For minis, you'll get so much more detail and need less prep with resin. For larger things, FDM is the way to go.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Going to play my first in-person IRL (!!SHIFT+1!!*) game of Bolt Action today, against an old hand in my city, brandishing my soviets newly purchased with your good advice. Will give report later.

* I will be wearing the finest NBC gear the glorious quartermaster's corps can provide, natch

Holy hell the Bolt Action rulebook is a hot mess. I micro-managed squads into having mixtures of LMGs, SMGs and mosins, which meant a lot of measuring and lining up to get my shots in a row.

It's good fun, though. Had an absolute unit of a sniper, who wiped out a mortar crew and kept pinning two landser squads so I could control one flank of the game, but I should need a commissar or more veteran units next time, as pins mess up morale something fierce.

Also, my 350 pt sink KV-1 got a track pinged off early in the game, and did largely nothing the rest of the game :commissar:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
No premeasuering in BA. The rules are a bit messy but after 5 games or so it mostly sticks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So my opponent said - who, by the way, indicated that the scene is pretty casual and into having fun. It's a relief since I'm bad with math.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Roll fast, die hard!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd let a noob premeasure, especially of they were new to TT games on the whole.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pre-measuring really ought to be the default, IMO. The difference between 100 and 200 meters is obvious to anyone with training, but having to guess a distance of inches is tedious and only rewards carpenters and cheats who measure their hands.

It only makes your trained soldiers and tank crews as bad at rangefinding as your untrained guessing is - which seems pretty ahistorical.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

In a WW 2 skirmish game, most distances should be ”if you can see it, you can shoot”.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

Pre-measuring really ought to be the default, IMO. The difference between 100 and 200 meters is obvious to anyone with training, but having to guess a distance of inches is tedious and only rewards carpenters and cheats who measure their hands.

It only makes your trained soldiers and tank crews as bad at rangefinding as your untrained guessing is - which seems pretty ahistorical.
Thanks to Warhammer Fantasy 7th edition I got obscenely good at estimating range in inches.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanks to Warhammer Fantasy 7th edition I got obscenely good at estimating range in inches.

Thanks to my last marriage, so did my ex-wife :tipshat:

To close the loop, I think I'll let myself get sucked back into FoW since an old friend with a british army moved a couple hours away. Battlegroup opened my eyes to the wonder that is affordable 1:100 models though, so I'll grab a rule book once the nearest hobby shop gets them in stock.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I always assumed "no pre measuring" was implemented because of the time it took up to do so frequently so it ended up being codified. Seems like a fine gentleman's agreement to allow it for casual play.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In some systems it's to simulate command distance from the action. You tell your dudes to go charge that way, and you don't know how many Game Time Units™ it will take for them to get into swording range of the other guys. Stuff like the old Warhammer Fantasy/Historicals actually penalised you for trying to charge when out of range, because you'd take defensive fire (if possible) and then get shot to poo poo and counter-charged with confidence because your opponent knows exactly how far away you are. This then led to jank like one notable Skaven unit always having to declare a "flee" reaction when charged, so the first thing you did in a game that it showed up was declare a charge against it and watch it run off the board.

Absent bullshit rules like GW put out, it's a skill like any other. Some people are really good at it. Some people don't want to have it be part of their toy mans game and that's fine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I like no pre-measurement, it keeps the game going faster (ofc, leave it to GW to make it terrible).

And if you're playing Chain of Command (which I did yesterday), range doesn't matter anyways: rifles and MGs can shoot across the table, SMG units are rare, and the movement is random, so you don't know how far you'll get anyways.

Incidentally, our game yesterday - Probe - lasted for two hours and we didn't have a turn-over. What this means is that my Soviet Stronk pre-game barrage even managed to keep one of his squads off the table for the entire game since it never ended.

I wanted to split a scout team from one of my squads to use the other Soviet special rule as well, but never found the reason. What is the purpose of scout teams anyway?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Basically to harass jump off points / hidden deployment and get your enemy to commit forces to defend while exposing as small an element of your own force as possible, maybe even fire from the rest of the squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

So I made a diorama for the first time.

Goobertown Hobbies, the youtube paint guy, runs a painting challenge where you randomly select a unpainted miniature in your collection, and you roll for the theme and color scheme. The model that I got was a Leopard 2 main battle tank from the 1980s in 15mm scale. This Leopard 2 would be "Heroic" and... purple.

Painting such a grounded model in a whimsical color just felt very off to me, so I started trying to make a narrative where that color scheme makes sense. Why is the tank purple? Because it's on a planet with purple vegetation. That would make purple a perfectly sensible color for a tank. Why is it on a planet with purple vegetation? Uh, well, it is fighting giant aliens. Why is a tank from the 1980s on a purple planet in presumably the rather far future fighting aliens? Well, it's very old I guess.

So: In summary, the little narrative I made to justify the silly color is that we have a very old tank on a planet with purple vegetation fighting aliens.

This snowballed into making this diorama: I used a 40k Hormagaunt as the alien monster, which compared to a 15mm tank is a giant kaiju. I added some purple little 15mm scale soldiers to give a sense of the scale. I had done up a desert base before I remembered about my purple vegetation so I added a purple tuft. I wanted a sense of motion and action, so I put the gaunt on a flight base, mid-pounce, and added billowing dust clouds behind the tank, to give the sense that it is driving at high speed, swiveling away from the alien. I put a little smoke at the end of the barrel - The tank just fired, and missed.

Making this silly diorama was a lot of fun. Painting super serious real life military hardware purple with checkerbox patterns and roman numerals is fun. Painting a model that I'm never going to use for gaming just for it's own sake was fun.

X-Posting from the mini painting thread. I'm still counting it as historical because it's got a couple of historical minis in it, dangit.