Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Southern Heel posted:

Are there any good internet lessons on metal soloing (for ex. Iron Maiden or Guns N Roses) ? Most responses seem to fall into the 'use minor pentatonic' camp, but everything I do there sounds bluesy!

Okay first we had a little chat over dark souls and now you're asking about metal soloing? You seem like a pretty rad dude Mr. Southern Heel.

Minor Pentatonic is a pretty easy way to jam. It is kinda bluesy but metal and blues aren't actually all that different! Especially if you wanna go for a Slash-y sound, he's all about the blues.

A big part in the differences of sound are gonna come from your rhythms and phrasing. Use fewer bends and slides with metal, more petal tones, fast repetitions, repeating the same arpeggio patterns up and down the scale and such.

But also if you wanna get away from minor pentatonic don't be afraid to do it! Phrygian dominant and Aeolian are both really good for metal.

There's obviously tons and tons of resources online. Just google around or try youtube! Sorry I can't point out any videos in particular as being like, the best. Maybe somebody else has a hot link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, I'm very comfortable with chordal theory, modes and many scales and the chords they work with - but I guess this:

Zaphod42 posted:

A big part in the differences of sound are gonna come from your rhythms and phrasing. Use fewer bends and slides with metal, more petal tones, fast repetitions, repeating the same arpeggio patterns up and down the scale and such.

Is exactly what I'm after. I get a kind of malaise when trying to learn someone else's solos but I guess I'm just going to have to muscle through so I can have a repertoire of licks to pick and choose from; it just feels so pointless!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What's pointless about jamming to your favorite tunes? :) GnR in particular is what got me playing guitar, I just really love Slash's style. And I've learned a lot from practicing his solos and trying to reverse-engineer them.

I should also say specifically a lot of metal is your picking hand more than anything, getting really good at alternate picking so you can pick every note instead of relying on hammer-ons gives you that really technical prog-metal sound, and then obviously sweep picking is its own technique unto itself which is used a lot in metal. But its not like you need that necessarily, tons of other metal styles don't use sweeps or still use lots of slides.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I was playing around with some guitars yesterday at Guitar Center and I think I actually like the Strat feel over the Les Pauls. So anyway I'd say I'd like to spend around $500 on the guitar alone. Is that a good enough budget for one? What are the main differences between one Strat to another?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I was playing around with some guitars yesterday at Guitar Center and I think I actually like the Strat feel over the Les Pauls. So anyway I'd say I'd like to spend around $500 on the guitar alone. Is that a good enough budget for one? What are the main differences between one Strat to another?

For that you could probably get a lower end MIM strat which are actually really great, just check the back of the head stock to make sure it says made in mexico instead of china since IMO chinese made strats are worse than indonesian squires. After that it's really just what pickup configuration, fret-board finish, and color.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zaphod42 posted:

No poo poo, but the question is whether the base length of the vocal cords effects being able to hit a very specific pitch to resonate with another specific length. Like having bigger/longer cords gives you deeper pitch, but as long as a specific tone is within your range I don't think it really matters.

Could be more of a resonance frequency thing, so for certain people it's easier to produce a particular tone (or component frequency or whatever) that carries well and sounds strongly in the audience's ears. Or something!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I did exactly the same thing and came home with a MIA Strat (in my defense 75% was trade-in value on an older bass). At first I was super stoked, but then I realised that I picked it because 'it sounded better' - when infact I was just a terrible player who only knew open chords which of course sound better more easily on a twinkly strat that a thick humbucker hardtail. I also picked it because 'Vibrato is so emotional' but then didn't take into account that it causes issues if you want to hold one note and bend another (like pretty much every bend in blues and a whole bunch in rock/metal). I also picked it because the neck was really comfortable, and the body itself was great.

I ended really disliking the inbetween positions too , and after many swaps and purchases I found what i REALLY wanted was a Telecaster. I'm not saying that's how it may end up for you, just trying to add my tupenny worth about choosing a Strat v. LP as a beginner/intermediate player:

- Will you be doing lots of bending?
- Will you be using the tremolo arm?
- Do you actually like the inbetween pickup positions?
- Are you confident enough to play in different styles, or mostly in the strumming-open-chord stage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah the feel of the strat is definitely easier to get used to than an LP. LP's are sexy as hell but they're thick and heavy. It makes for some good tone but its not a great baby's first guitar.

You're just starting out yeah?

Strats are pretty much the ideal first-guitar for anybody, they sound great, they're easy to play, and people have used them to make every style of music there is.

$500 is more than enough. If this is really your first guitar I'd almost recommend just getting a $300-400 guitar even. You'd be surprised at how minor the differences are; as long as you don't buy some lovely no-name brand that's sold at Walmart to kids, just get yourself a foreign Fender or Squier and you're loving good to go man.

If anything don't underestimate the power of the non-guitar side of things. What style of music do you like? If its anything rock, hard rock or metal, you're going to really really want a solid amp and possibly even some effects. Effects pedals go a long way to making a lovely guitar suddenly sound decent, and can make playing songs actually easier. Even Eddie Van Halen wouldn't sound like Eddie Van Halen if it wasn't for all the overdrive and compression he uses. Technique is really important and you don't want to ignore it, but since starting out your technique is gonna be awful, the effects could kinda help hide that a little so you can have fun and not hate yourself.

So I'd say that's a perfect budget, but reserve some of that to get yourself a nice amp with modeling like a Mustang or a Spider, or else get yourself a small combo practice amp and then something like a portable POD for effects.

The differences from one strat to another are slight changes in the hardware and the body. The most noticeable are the pickups; standard strats come with 3 single-coil pickups which give you a nice warm twang but don't handle overdrive very well. You can however use the switch to use two of those together which will handle overdrive without too much hum. If you wanna go a little more hard rock, the HSS configuration strat (humbucker, single, single) gives you the option for more overdrive, and then some strats even come HSH or HH. (dual humbucker).

The other main difference is the bridge; some have a fixed bridge which is pretty standard and solid, but nothing fancy. Then you have the cheap tremolo which is really common in strats, that gives you the option to go crazy on the whammy bar for expressive sound, but doing so makes the guitar go out of tune very very fast. Then there's a floating tremolo like a Floyd Rose, which keeps the guitar in tune for a long time, even when going hardcore on whammy. The downside is that changing tunings on a floyd rose is a huge pain; DO NOT recommend for a new player. Get a fixed bridge or a one-way tremolo, not a floating tremolo. Floating trems are more common on expensive guitars though.

Really just find something that looks cool and feels pretty comfortable. You won't know what kind of guitar you REALLY want until you've learned the basics. So don't break the bank right now, and if anything just get a pretty cheap (but decent and not rip-off-brand) guitar and a solid amp.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 10, 2015

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the feel of the strat is definitely easier to get used to than an LP. LP's are sexy as hell but they're thick and heavy. It makes for some good tone but its not a great baby's first guitar.

You're just starting out yeah?

Strats are pretty much the ideal first-guitar for anybody, they sound great, they're easy to play, and people have used them to make every style of music there is.

$500 is more than enough. If this is really your first guitar I'd almost recommend just getting a $300-400 guitar even. You'd be surprised at how minor the differences are; as long as you don't buy some lovely no-name brand that's sold at Walmart to kids, just get yourself a foreign Fender or Squier and you're loving good to go man.

If anything don't underestimate the power of the non-guitar side of things. What style of music do you like? If its anything rock, hard rock or metal, you're going to really really want a solid amp and possibly even some effects. Effects pedals go a long way to making a lovely guitar suddenly sound decent, and can make playing songs actually easier. Even Eddie Van Halen wouldn't sound like Eddie Van Halen if it wasn't for all the overdrive and compression he uses. Technique is really important and you don't want to ignore it, but since starting out your technique is gonna be awful, the effects could kinda help hide that a little so you can have fun and not hate yourself.

So I'd say that's a perfect budget, but reserve some of that to get yourself a nice amp with modeling like a Mustang or a Spider, or else get yourself a small combo practice amp and then something like a portable POD for effects.

The differences from one strat to another are slight changes in the hardware and the body. The most noticeable are the pickups; standard strats come with 3 single-coil pickups which give you a nice warm twang but don't handle overdrive very well. You can however use the switch to use two of those together which will handle overdrive without too much hum. If you wanna go a little more hard rock, the HSS configuration strat (humbucker, single, single) gives you the option for more overdrive, and then some strats even come HSH or HH. (dual humbucker).

The other main difference is the bridge; some have a fixed bridge which is pretty standard and solid, but nothing fancy. Then you have the cheap tremolo which is really common in strats, that gives you the option to go crazy on the whammy bar for expressive sound, but doing so makes the guitar go out of tune very very fast. Then there's a floating tremolo like a Floyd Rose, which keeps the guitar in tune for a long time, even when going hardcore on whammy. The downside is that changing tunings on a floyd rose is a huge pain; DO NOT recommend for a new player. Get a fixed bridge or a one-way tremolo, not a floating tremolo. Floating trems are more common on expensive guitars though.

Really just find something that looks cool and feels pretty comfortable. You won't know what kind of guitar you REALLY want until you've learned the basics. So don't break the bank right now, and if anything just get a pretty cheap (but decent and not rip-off-brand) guitar and a solid amp.

Thanks man. It's actually not my first guitar. I've had an Aria Pro II that was a pawn store guitar that I got about 10 years ago. I sucked, was young, and didn't play it much. Then I got an acoustic as a gift maybe 3 years ago that I again didn't play a whole lot but at least learned basic open chords. Then about 3 months ago my uncle gave me one of his classical guitars to play since I live out of hotels with my current job and wanted something productive to do instead of watching TV all day. So with that I've been just been doing stuff with barre chords and a bunch of Nirvana because it's fairly simple. But I'll be getting a new job in a month so I want to get a new guitar since I'll have a home again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thanks man. It's actually not my first guitar. I've had an Aria Pro II that was a pawn store guitar that I got about 10 years ago. I sucked, was young, and didn't play it much. Then I got an acoustic as a gift maybe 3 years ago that I again didn't play a whole lot but at least learned basic open chords. Then about 3 months ago my uncle gave me one of his classical guitars to play since I live out of hotels with my current job and wanted something productive to do instead of watching TV all day. So with that I've been just been doing stuff with barre chords and a bunch of Nirvana because it's fairly simple. But I'll be getting a new job in a month so I want to get a new guitar since I'll have a home again.

Do it. Also get an electric because playing with power is fun. :science:

I mean you can go all Nirvana Unplugged but sometimes you need to crank your amp up and really smell the teen spirit, ya know?

I'm actually thinking about buying my second strat right now. (I already have 5 guitars oh god) They're probably the best all-around electric guitars ever made.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 10, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ I actually put a Behringer Fuzz (the clone of the Univox Super Fuzz) infront of my full-hollow jazz box and went ape poo poo over some metal backing tracks today as per your suggestion earlier. I'm going to bust out the Metallica tab book now actually.

Zaphod42 posted:

You won't know what kind of guitar you REALLY want until you've learned the basics. So don't break the bank right now, and if anything just get a pretty cheap (but decent and not rip-off-brand) guitar and a solid amp.

get out of my brain

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2015

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Do it. Also get an electric because playing with power is fun. :science:

I mean you can go all Nirvana Unplugged but sometimes you need to crank your amp up and really smell the teen spirit, ya know?

I'm actually thinking about buying my second strat right now. (I already have 5 guitars oh god) They're probably the best all-around electric guitars ever made.

Hah yeah, I've pretty much gotten the Unplugged album down to where you can tell what song it is. Except the Meat Puppets songs. But yeah I had a break where I was home for a week and just played the electric guitar but years of sitting collecting dust and humidity hasn't been great for it so it's time to upgrade

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Because it's the year 2015 I've been trying to learn some Radiohead songs. I've been having kind of a hard time with some of the stuff, especially when it jumps quickly between strings, which I can do but not incredibly consistently with a pick. What's a good way for practicing more technical playing, besides brute forcing and muscle-memorying my way through a challenging song?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sout posted:

Because it's the year 2015 I've been trying to learn some Radiohead songs. I've been having kind of a hard time with some of the stuff, especially when it jumps quickly between strings, which I can do but not incredibly consistently with a pick. What's a good way for practicing more technical playing, besides brute forcing and muscle-memorying my way through a challenging song?

You can do drills but personally I tink brute forcing a song is more fun :shrug:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I assume you're playing to a metronome at half/quarter speed and slowly iterating it faster? That's how I got anywhere with a given piece, but for general technique a big thing for my finger dexterity was a chromatic spider exercise, something like so:

code:
-5-6---7----8---------------------------
-----5---6----7-----8-------------------
----------5-----6-----7-----8-----------
------------------5-----6-----7---8-----
--------------------------5-----6---7-8-
and then in reverse. If I can play it up and down twice consecutively with no errors, then I up the tempo. You can use this method with diatonic scales too, but this one is completely atonal and used purely to practise alternate picking and strange finger movement.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
telecaster is the best no nonsense electric guitar

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

KyloWinter posted:

True fact.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Honestly I got one because I wanted something with that open neck and twangy bridge and didn't want to deal with aforementioned gripes with Strat - and I'm ANNOYED at just how good of a guitar it is. There's literally nothing to complain about and if you sound terrible you have very few excuses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have things to complain about but I've learned from experience that I shouldn't let tele-fans know about them. :cheeky:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Guitarfetish sells pretty great telecasters for under 200 bucks

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I have things to complain about but I've learned from experience that I shouldn't let tele-fans know about them. :cheeky:

Having a "pre-relic'd" guitar from the previous owner, I felt no qualms about taking a grinder with sanding disc to cut myself an arm & belly contour. Best compromise between Strat and Tele now :allears:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

KyloWinter posted:

I've been playing on and (mostly)off for the better part of 10 years. Almost exclusively on my LP that I saved and saved for with my first job. I grabbed one of those MIM Silverburst Telecasters off craigslist last year and the LP has pretty much been chilling out since then.

I still bust it out when I want to jam some sweet Tool riffs in drop D but drat, I feel guilty sometimes that I prefer a guitar that cost a quarter of what I paid for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MF sent me a 20% off code and it works on the new SGs. $950 for a new SG. Christ they're gonna get me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah that code is making me think about a pair of D-Activators :shepspends:

e: The only thing stopping me is that I'm pretty sure I don't want to turn my only HH slotted guitar into that sort of thing, even though I want a guitar like that.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 11, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've only tried the D Activator 7s which are a different pickup almost entirely, and it's probably just my preference in EQing but I did not like mine. A lot of people really seem to love them, especially for death metal, though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also it's a very good thing because I was actually thinking about the Dominion :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Now that's a pickup I like. It's a pickup that would play any genre well. really!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just re-strung my Matsu LP, decided to try a top wrap with mediums this time.

Holy poo poo it's got the tension of a classical now. This is awesome. :3:

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
any recommendations on free tabbing software?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Imo I would spend the money on guitar pro. it's a good-rear end program

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

KyloWinter posted:

telecaster is co-best no nonsense electric guitar along with SG Jr.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

muike posted:

Now that's a pickup I like. It's a pickup that would play any genre well. really!

Yeah but MF doesn't have it at all, let alone a combined set that I could use the coupon on.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

satsui no thankyou posted:

any recommendations on free tabbing software?

notepad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

muike posted:

Imo I would spend the money on guitar pro. it's a good-rear end program

Yeah, I just got by on ASCII until I got GuitarPro.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

haha fair enough

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
before Guitar Pro got popular I remember liking Power Tab, it's not as good as GP, but it is free.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

dxt posted:

before Guitar Pro got popular I remember liking Power Tab, it's not as good as GP, but it is free.

I don't think power tab has been updated in forever. Tux guitar is around and has pretty good format compatibility if you want that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Trying to play kirk hammett's solos from the Black Album on a fully hollow jazzbox with 14 gauge flatwounds and no wah pedal is not that fun.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Southern Heel posted:

Trying to play kirk hammett's solos from the Black Album on a fully hollow jazzbox with 14 gauge flatwounds and no wah pedal is not that fun.

Ironically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSBPuCRbbac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does not do justice to The Man (0:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnKU1y8pGc