Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PittTheElder posted:

Did he just get it confused with the X-15, with a top speed of Mach 6 and altitude limit right around 90km (300,000ft)?

Not really related to the discussion, but even the X-15 could only do one or the other, but not both. They flew two general mission profiles; the first one involved a steep climb followed by a long, ballistic arc and re-entry, topping out as high as 354,000 feet and a maximum speed in the range of Mach 3 to 4. The second profile was oriented for high speed, with the vehicle making a shallow climb to 100-120,000 feet and staying there, achieving speeds in excess of Mach 6.

The high-speed profile necessitated a launch point much further away from Edwards than the high-altitude profile (click for big):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
So, while fact-checking my new and exciting conspiracy theory on the Kennedy assassinations -- Nixon hired the guys to kill them -- I looked up the '68 presidential election. The third-party nutjob was, as you probably know, George "Possibly the most racist dude ever" Wallace.

What I didn't know, until just know, was that Wallace's running mate was our old pal Curtis "Watch the World Burn" LeMay.

Until now I just thought LeMay was just a rather gung-ho product of his time. But throwing his hat in with Wallace? Yeah, turns out he was as much of an rear end in a top hat as we thought.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 5, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Delivery McGee posted:

So, while fact-checking my new and exciting conspiracy theory on the Kennedy assassinations -- Nixon hired the guys to kill them -- I looked up the '68 presidential election. The third-party nutjob was, as you probably know, George "Possibly the most racist dude ever" Wallace.

What I didn't know, until just know, was that Wallace's running mate was our old pal Curtis "Watch the World Burn" LeMay.

Until now I just thought LeMay was just a rather gung-ho product of his time. But throwing his hat in with Wallace? Yeah, turns out he was as much of an rear end in a top hat as we thought.

LeMay was batshit paranoid about Nixon accepting nuclear parity but he wasn't a segregationist. He had been anti-segregation in the military before Truman eliminated it altogether, and was shocked people thought he was a bigot when he signed on with Wallace (LeMay wasn't very politically savvy, to say the least). Wallace and his staff, meanwhile, quickly regretting picking LeMay because he wouldn't shut up about nukes and how they were a good thing to use once and a while.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 5, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Delivery McGee posted:

Second gunmen can't melt steel beams

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Delivery McGee posted:

This is who killed Kennedy.

2010 article from Playboy Magazine
http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=58328648095283860759&t=5832864809528386075938293

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is who killed Kennedy.

If it ain't Lee Oswald, it ain't poo poo.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

LeMay was batshit paranoid about Nixon accepting nuclear parity but he wasn't a segregationist. He had been anti-segregation in the military before Truman eliminated it altogether, and was shocked people thought he was a bigot when he signed on with Wallace (LeMay wasn't very politically savvy, to say the least). Wallace and his staff, meanwhile, quickly regretting picking LeMay because he wouldn't shut up about nukes and how they were a good thing to use once and a while.

LeMay was also pro-choice many years before it was politically mainstream - LeMay was a good military commander, but a bad politician.

Speaking of Nixon and Wallace, they made a secret deal in the '72 election. Nixon would make the tax trouble of Wallace's brother go away, and in return Wallace would run as a democrat for president, siphoning off votes and resources from other dem candidates. Once Wallace was knocked out of the race by that assassination attempt, Nixon tried to plant McGovern campaign literature at the would-be assassin's apartment :parrot:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If it's not an excerpt from Illuminatus!, why are you liking playboy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

If it's not an excerpt from Illuminatus!, why are you liking playboy.

He enjoys boobs and boob accessories?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of Nixon and Wallace, they made a secret deal in the '72 election. Nixon would make the tax trouble of Wallace's brother go away, and in return Wallace would run as a democrat for president, siphoning off votes and resources from other dem candidates. Once Wallace was knocked out of the race by that assassination attempt, Nixon tried to plant McGovern campaign literature at the would-be assassin's apartment :parrot:

Nixon was like a wacky sitcom character in so many ways.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sperglord Actual posted:

If it ain't Lee Oswald, it ain't poo poo.

JFK was the second gunman on the grassy knoll

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Nixon was like a wacky sitcom character in so many ways.

He's been one for many years. :nixon:

On topic post: Nixon and the bomb: "I just want you to think big, Henry!"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

A good click.

Dick Nixon posted:

I don’t want Washington. I don’t like the feel of Washington. I don’t like that goddamn command airplane or any of this. I don’t believe in all that crap. I think the idea of building a new system around Washington is stupid.

A year ago, I would have been shocked and horrified at this. After a year of working in D.C., uh, well let's just say I'm pretty open to this prospect.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Red Crown posted:

A year ago, I would have been shocked and horrified at this. After a year of working in D.C., uh, well let's just say I'm pretty open to this prospect.

:agreed:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

LeMay was also pro-choice many years before it was politically mainstream - LeMay was a good military commander, but a bad politician.

Dude just really liked killing people, at least he's consistent.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

LeMay seems like he would have gotten along with Cato the Elder like a house on fire(because it was nuked).

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

bitcoin bastard posted:

Dude just really liked killing people, at least he's consistent.

Sometimes you wonder what LeMay would have done, if presented with the current situation with ISIS or Afghanistan.

I'm not quite sure of the specifics, but I know nuclear weapons would be involved.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Saint Celestine posted:

Sometimes you wonder what LeMay would have done, if presented with the current situation with ISIS or Afghanistan.

I'm not quite sure of the specifics, but I know nuclear weapons would be involved.

To the melody of a certain Beach Boys song....

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
IIRC that parody cracked the top 40 in 1979.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Saint Celestine posted:

He would have recommended turning Syria, Iraq and probably Iran into a giant sheet of glass. Politicians would have told him to shut the gently caress up and hand over some of his bombers for conversion to the conventional roles,

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, his advice as CSAF during Vietnam was always a massive conventional bombing campaign on what we'd now call centers of gravity - ports, industrial parks, logistics centers. He repeatedly said nukes weren't the answer. He had a very WWII 8th AF mindset: destroy the gently caress out of everything that materially supported the enemy's ability to fight, rather than killing as many people as possible (like Douhet advocated). He probably wouldn't have wanted any part of the current fight in Iraq or Afghanistan. Afghanistan because you can't bomb your enemy into the stone age when they're already there. As far as Iraq, he probably would've had a 6-foot erection for overthrowing Saddam, but everything since then has been the sort of problem that strategic bombing can't really solve. He'd probably be irate at how we've been using the B-1 for the past decade.

God help the people running Global Strike Command.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Sure you can. They're in the middle of the desert. Target their power plants, water treatment facilities, and roads. Let's see how they can fight without power, water, or transport.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Sure you can. They're in the middle of the desert. Target their power plants, water treatment facilities, and roads. Let's see how they can fight without power, water, or transport.

My guess would be about the same as right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Same as right now, except the cities are now refugee camps.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

"Just like granddad used to."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3FPplcJGg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Delivery McGee posted:

Wallace was more of pure political opportunist than an inveterate racist. As a lawyer and as a judge he was pretty pro-civil rights, moreso than most at the time, and actively spoke out against the Klan:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wallace/filmmore/reference/interview/chestnut01.html

But then he lost his first election to a die-hard segregationist and completely changed politically:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wallace/sfeature/quotes.html

In his final election, he received more than 90% of the black vote. "Possibly the most racist dude ever" is a real oversimplification of a complex issue.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

We did all that in about 3 days. The problem is the decade after that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Phanatic posted:

"Possibly the most racist dude ever" is a real oversimplification of a complex issue.

Fob James, for one, would proudly dispute such a title.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

We did all that in about 3 days. The problem is the decade after that.

that's when you switch to napalm, WP and defoliants

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

that's when you switch to napalm, WP and defoliants

Waitaminute

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Russian Oscar II SSGN catches fire in shipyard

ahahah those things just do not have a good safety record

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You could not pay me enough to work on a Russian submarine.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Too bad it was defueled, a meltdown could have done wonders for the region.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
To be fair, one of ours caught fire recently too :v: (for a somewhat different reason of course)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You sure about that? Setting a fire to get off work a little early that day sounds very Russian.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Can you imagine the toxins that came off of this thing when it was burning?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

That's why I prefer a free range strategic bomber.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It was probably just glue and epoxy fumes, so nothing you want to breathe, but probably not superfund-nasty either.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Thinking about submarines, nuclear weapons, and mishaps, is the U.S. navy's ballistic missile submarine program as much of a terrible place where careers go to die as land-based missiles? If not, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Culture of Excellence. Culture of Excellence! Culture of Excellence!!!