Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

UK tracking on mine worked fine, did they not just give you a UPS link? I got the invoice and setup emails a few hours after mine was delivered.

It says ups have it and I pop the number in and it just says "not found".
Nightmare!

With dhl express though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I've got a 2015 GMC. I connect it to my car two ways; for the phone portion I use bluetooth, and for the iPod functions I connect the USB to the car itself and it has always worked great. I was previously using a 6 with iOS10 with no problems at all. My 7 connects to bluetooth no problem, but the car won't recognize the device through USB. Anyone else had an issue?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm a poor in between owning a 6S and getting my 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm a poor in between owning a 6S and getting my 7.

I don't think the 6S is the one who got owned here.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Suqit posted:

I've got a 2015 GMC. I connect it to my car two ways; for the phone portion I use bluetooth, and for the iPod functions I connect the USB to the car itself and it has always worked great. I was previously using a 6 with iOS10 with no problems at all. My 7 connects to bluetooth no problem, but the car won't recognize the device through USB. Anyone else had an issue?

stupid question: did you reboot the 7 yet?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

incoherent posted:

stupid question: did you reboot the 7 yet?

I haven't, no.

I'll try that and try the lightning cable that came with the 7 as opposed to the one that came with my 6.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think the 6S is the one who got owned here.

:colbert:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Suqit posted:

I haven't, no.

I'll try that and try the lightning cable that came with the 7 as opposed to the one that came with my 6.

I only say this because I heard someone on a podcast discussing their iphone 7 and it wasn't being detected by usb, only bluetooth.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I have an odd issue since I had my display on my iPhone 6 replaced at the Apple Store; my Touch ID only works for my one account (iCloud) not my old iTunes account. That one will show the normal Touch ID dialog, then a simple Touch ID only one, then fail silently.

I'm going to go back in due to the left side of the screen clicking (feels like a gap there) but I'm just baffled how it could be busted for only one account. It feels like a server issue, but I have no idea where to clear that association beyond all the settings I've toggled.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
touch id is hardware only.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How can I change the Facebook Messenger sound for incoming messages? Now it makes the same sound as iMessage.

Edit: a reboot fixed it!

Xabi fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 22, 2016

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

touch id is hardware only.

Exactly. That's why it's strange it only fails with one account on the same hardware after wiping the old account out, switching, and switching back. Before trying another account I thought it was a bad unit, but that shouldn't allow Touch ID unlocking or Apple Pay. I thought even a payment source issue, but the new account uses the same card and I switched out to that card for the old account.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Agile Vector posted:

I have an odd issue since I had my display on my iPhone 6 replaced at the Apple Store; my Touch ID only works for my one account (iCloud) not my old iTunes account. That one will show the normal Touch ID dialog, then a simple Touch ID only one, then fail silently.

I'm going to go back in due to the left side of the screen clicking (feels like a gap there) but I'm just baffled how it could be busted for only one account. It feels like a server issue, but I have no idea where to clear that association beyond all the settings I've toggled.

If you're on iOS 10 the technician should have had you turn off Touch ID for iTunes & App Store before repairing the phone. If it doesn't get turned off it will cause all Touch ID purchases to fail silently. The only fixes now would be to wait for a software update to resolve it or to get your phone replaced.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

They did have me turn it off, but that is pretty much what's happening. Should be a fun trip to the store. Thanks!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any 'Delivers 4 Oct - 11 Oct by Standard Shipping' folks see movement? My poo poo still processing. I hope it ships next week cause swiping left to get camera from the lock screen on my 5s with ios10 is crashing camera app consistently.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Uh, holy poo poo this is the last time I ever restore from the cloud. 45 minute wait to play with my new toy? dumb.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Testing out Bokeh Portrait mode in a busy scene with no face. Not bad...

(blick for cig)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Yeah portrait is ownage. I loved it on my HTC M8 but obviously iPhone with 12mp camera does it way better

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One more. This poo poo was made for kid pics...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does the dual camera benefit video in any way or we have to wait on third party apps to figure out that

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Housh posted:

Any 'Delivers 4 Oct - 11 Oct by Standard Shipping' folks see movement? My poo poo still processing. I hope it ships next week cause swiping left to get camera from the lock screen on my 5s with ios10 is crashing camera app consistently.

Well those days are still over a week away soooooooo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

The parental restrictions are actually really badly though out all-round.
It's obvious that nobody [important] from Apple actually has little kids or they would be sending an email to the iTunes team like Billy G.

Haha, I ran into another dumb one this morning.

Wifey wants to subscribe to netflix.
Despite having plenty of iTunes credit, it asks for the security code of my credit card. Yes, she is listed as a big girl on the family plan who can make her own purchases.
She has to call me.
Enter security code, it bitches to "update payment method". I got this credit card with my mortgage recently so it's never expired or changed.
I have to login to iCloud and re-enter all the same credit card details again.
Only then can she enter the security code and have the purchase work.
Purchase successfully comes out of the positive iTunes credit balance.

:smithcloud: :woz:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
That sounds like a bunch of security verifications more than anything else. I usually get those when iTunes is suspicious of a new device that I'm on. Heck even amazon asks me for my credit card number at seemingly random times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Haha, I ran into another dumb one this morning.

Wifey wants to subscribe to netflix.
Despite having plenty of iTunes credit, it asks for the security code of my credit card. Yes, she is listed as a big girl on the family plan who can make her own purchases.
She has to call me.
Enter security code, it bitches to "update payment method". I got this credit card with my mortgage recently so it's never expired or changed.
I have to login to iCloud and re-enter all the same credit card details again.
Only then can she enter the security code and have the purchase work.
Purchase successfully comes out of the positive iTunes credit balance.

:smithcloud: :woz:

That's a weird way to subscribe to Netflix. Why didn't she just go to the Netflix website on a computer and do it? :psyduck:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, you never sign up for services offered on sites or apps through Apple.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hi I'm a dumb weirdo who doesn't know anything about phones, help me please.

I bought a 6 Plus all the way back in December 2014 and now I wanna upgrade to the 7 Plus, Jet Black. Of course, that model's sold out pretty much everywhere. I also wanna sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program, because I'm currently on Verizon and I'm sick of them charging 1.5x as much as everyone else for the same service - so I wanna shop around the networks and see what works best for me. But I know about the trick where the Verizon phones have both GSM and CDMA, whereas two of them do not (T-Mobile and AT&T I think it was?) - so I plan on getting a Verizon-assigned phone through the program.

So Jet Black 7+s are sold out till like November, but my current contract with Verizon doesn't end till December 6th - and I know you can't get one with no carrier data, you have to get it already set up on one of the networks. So... if I order my phone now, and it gets here in November, is it automatically gonna override my current phone by a month early and I get charged an early termination fee? Or can I just buy the phone and not activate it till Dec 6th rolls around?

If the answer turns out to be "just wait till December dude" that's fine, I just figured I may want to place my order now if stock is still gonna be back-ordered come December because this phone is selling way better than I thought it would.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LODGE NORTH posted:

I mean if the price is the same, sure whatever. In some cases I like not having to sign up a whole separate account and give my billing info to yet another company. Same reason I sometimes check out using google, amazon, and paypal cart services.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, and iTunes gift cards that are 15-20% discounted don't exist, and paying with store credit isn't possible, right.

Those discounts and what MrBond said are the main reasons to do it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The price is 30% more expensive through Apple !

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The price is 30% more expensive through Apple !

The price for what? Netflix? I thought this was a general discussion about paying things through Apple.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any subscription service paid for through iTunes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Any subscription service paid for through iTunes

No it's not? Netflix pricing is the same in-app and outside of it. HBO Now is $15 no matter where you buy it.

If you're talking about developers raising the price to cover the cut apple takes they put a stop to that years ago.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No it's not? Netflix pricing is the same in-app and outside of it. HBO Now is $15 no matter where you buy it.

If you're talking about developers raising the price to cover the cut apple takes they put a stop to that years ago.

Not for Spotify they didn't

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Netflix paid through iTunes/ the app store is also more expensive. As is tidal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Netflix paid through iTunes/ the app store is also more expensive. As is tidal.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hi I'm a dumb weirdo who doesn't know anything about phones, help me please.

Buy upgrade plan from Apple for a Verizon iPhone. Get new phone. Keep it on Verizon till your contract runs out and then do whatever you want with it.

Source: I did this last year. Spent one last month on Verizon, three weeks on T-mobile, ended up on att.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jet black 7 just arrived. Bloody hell its mental

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

benisntfunny posted:

Buy upgrade plan from Apple for a Verizon iPhone. Get new phone. Keep it on Verizon till your contract runs out and then do whatever you want with it.

Source: I did this last year. Spent one last month on Verizon, three weeks on T-mobile, ended up on att.

Hell, I went on to the Apple Upgrade Program last year with a year remaining on my Verizon contract. Verizon doesn't care if you upgrade your phone before the 2 years is up as long as you aren't looking to get another subsidy on the upgrade. It does mean you'll still be paying the higher subsidy line rate assuming you're on a plan that has a difference like More Everything/Verizon Plan in addition to your AUP phone payment during the overlap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bape Culture posted:

Jet black 7 just arrived. Bloody hell its mental

Have you scratched it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I stand corrected.

Spotify and Tidal are more expensive though 🤔