Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I was set to play a few different games today but we ended up playing Code Names for like 4 hours instead.

I think that's roughly 8 or 9 hours since purchasing it on Wednesday. Can't stop won't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

First, we played Blood Bowl: Team Manager. I was the Orcs, playing against the Wood Elves, Humans, and Skaven. I ended up being tied with the Skaven player for 1st place, with the wood elf team winning by a fair margin (the guy who played them is like the early 2000s version of Tiger Woods playing boardgames, so I didn't feel too bad). Everyone had a lot of fun and all expressed an interest in playing it again sometime. My only real complaint about the game is it seemed to run a little long (but we might have been slow) and towards the later round there were a lot of little cards and bits to keep track of. Still, a good time was had by all.

Next time you play, try the "Abbreviated Season" rules, or whatever it's called. Everyone starts with free upgrades, and you play less rounds. Prevents the game from overstaying its welcome, from my experience.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Got to play Twilight Struggle for the first time today and decided I wanted it only to learn its out of print. There doesn't seem to be a reprint in the works so I guess I'm waiting for the app.

Also got to play Imperial Assault, Imperial Settlers, Spectre Ops, Lords of Vegas, and Dominion Seaside all for the first time. I enjoyed it all so today was a pretty good day.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Malt posted:

Got to play Twilight Struggle for the first time today and decided I wanted it only to learn its out of print.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-557-twilight-struggle-deluxe-edition-2015-reprint.aspx

Not sure if it is likely to hit 500 orders anytime soon but given it's GMT's flagship title I imagine they reprint it often.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Monty Python Fluxx yesterday. :cry:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SynthOrange posted:

Can you point to the doll where the bad game touched you?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

Still not as bad as Meow.

So how is Specter Ops anyway? It's been brought up here multiple times but it seems like opinions vary wildly between "it's too random/swingy" to "it's pretty decent," and I'm aware of Plaid Hat's rep but it doesn't look like it's by the Dead of Winter guy, so.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

jng2058 posted:

Can you point to the doll where the bad game touched you?

It leaped straight for the clitoris like a bull at a gate

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Taear posted:

After a lot of plays I do feel the Orks are a little stronger. I think it is because for the most part the spaceships aren't used very much - orbital bombardments are only common from Eldar players with a certain order upgrade.

It means that their focus on having really strong units and cards can often mean they're a real pain in two player games.
I don't see it in larger games, just two player ones.

The Ork cards make such a difference that all our regular players know their names. Party Wagon and Biker Nobs strike fear into everyone's hearts.

Bombardment has started to become the default type of combat for Space Marine players in my group.

The ability to fire a marine onto a planet to take it after the bombardment is incredible.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

So how is Specter Ops anyway? It's been brought up here multiple times but it seems like opinions vary wildly between "it's too random/swingy" to "it's pretty decent," and I'm aware of Plaid Hat's rep but it doesn't look like it's by the Dead of Winter guy, so.

Scotland Yard with powers and more bluffing options. If that description doesn't tell you go or no-go I think you just need to try it or watch a playthrough online. One strong advantage it has over Scotland Yard each player controlling only one character, makes it easier to picture/track movements.

I think it's best with 3 and gets worse with added players, but that may just depend on the players. 5 adds an interesting traitor element - the agent gets to secretly choose their partner, but it can be a bit confusing rules-wise.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I haven't gotten a chance to play Scotland Yard yet so maybe I should try to find someone with a copy and do so first, then.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Twilight Struggle is tentatively scheduled for a reprint in November, so everybody cool your jets. Also, use GMT's website. They have all kinds of useful stuff on there, like a production schedule.

If anybody reading this is in the U.S. and wants a copy of Twilight Struggle, I recommend using the p500 option. You'll get it at a discounted price, and it's guaranteed to get a reprint anyway. While you're there, maybe throw into the ring for Cuba Libre or Sekigahara

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Twilight Struggle is an evergreen game, no way would GMT keep it out of print as long as it's #1 on bgg

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

Twilight Struggle is tentatively scheduled for a reprint in November, so everybody cool your jets. Also, use GMT's website. They have all kinds of useful stuff on there, like a production schedule.

If anybody reading this is in the U.S. and wants a copy of Twilight Struggle, I recommend using the p500 option. You'll get it at a discounted price, and it's guaranteed to get a reprint anyway. While you're there, maybe throw into the ring for Cuba Libre or Sekigahara

Sekigahara is my favorite game that I haven't yet managed to get to the table.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Merauder posted:

Having recently played Twilight Imperium for the first time, how does Forbidden Stars compare? Is it a similar style game at all, just smaller?

Forbidden Stars is a wargame.

Twilight Imperium is more of a civilization game that war happens to occur in.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I P500'ed Sekigahara so I expect it to be reprinted sometime before 2030.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Speaking of Forbidden Stars I played a match of it yesterday, it was fun even if we messed up pretty much all the rules because reading is hard.

I'm still confused about ground units movement though, specially that LEGAL PATH thing. Let's take this example

Alternate Situation 1 - On the left system the Space Marine and Scout unit were on the other planet instead, how would I move them to the other system if the Strike Cruiser was in the same position?

Alternate Situation 2 - Unit's position unchanged from the example, but there is an enemy ship in the only void zone of the other system?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

frajaq posted:

Speaking of Forbidden Stars I played a match of it yesterday, it was fun even if we messed up pretty much all the rules because reading is hard.

I'm still confused about ground units movement though, specially that LEGAL PATH thing. Let's take this example

Alternate Situation 1 - On the left system the Space Marine and Scout unit were on the other planet instead, how would I move them to the other system if the Strike Cruiser was in the same position?

Alternate Situation 2 - Unit's position unchanged from the example, but there is an enemy ship in the only void zone of the other system?

E: Mis-read AS1, here's the correct version:

AS1: You couldn't do it on one Move Action, because your Strike Cruiser wouldn't be eligible to move within its own system, only to the system you played the Move Action in. You'd have to take two Move Actions, one in the leftmost system to move the Strike Cruiser to the lower right Void, then a second Move to get them from the left most tile to the right tile.

AS2: You would have to send the Strike Cruiser to attack the enemy ship. The ground units wouldn't be able to make the move at all, because the void zone with your ship and the enemy ship would be Contested, not Friendly. Presuming your Strike Cruiser won the battle, on a subsequent Move Action, you could then move your ground units across the now Friendly void.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 13, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

For AS1 I meant more if it's there's any way for the ground units to go to the other system. Then again I'm may be overthinking the rules and it's simply units go in ship -> ship moves -> ship unloads units

e: argh you edited it. Alright got it, thanks

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Trying to remember a game I played a while back.

Players have a hidden identity associated with a colored piece. Each identity also has a country associated with it, but it's more a fluff thing. Players a basically thieves trying to raid a vault. The board is a single loop with all players on it, including colored pieces without a player, as well as a Vault or Safe piece. Players move by rolling a die with special faces and move the colored pieces based on it. They can move their own or others. Players also have cards with special effects that they can use to move pieces back or forward or move the vault. I forget what happens when a player reaches the vault. At the end of the game, I think player score points based on deducing which player was which color as well as reaching the vault. I can't, for the life of me remember the name of the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Here is movement made easy in Forbidden Stars in 5 easy steps.

1) Systems/planets that are next to each other horizontally or vertically are pieces of land.

2) Systems/planets that are only next to each other diagonally have water between them.

3) Voids are water.

4) Ships are bridges.

5) Ground units walk. If they need to walk across water you need to put a bridge over it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Trying to remember a game I played a while back.

Players have a hidden identity associated with a colored piece. Each identity also has a country associated with it, but it's more a fluff thing. Players a basically thieves trying to raid a vault. The board is a single loop with all players on it, including colored pieces without a player, as well as a Vault or Safe piece. Players move by rolling a die with special faces and move the colored pieces based on it. They can move their own or others. Players also have cards with special effects that they can use to move pieces back or forward or move the vault. I forget what happens when a player reaches the vault. At the end of the game, I think player score points based on deducing which player was which color as well as reaching the vault. I can't, for the life of me remember the name of the game.

Top Secret Spies / Under Cover / Heimlich and Co.

Won the spiel in 1986. Loved that game as a kid. You can move any piece with the die, and split your move between pieces. Each space has a point number on it, and when one piece reaches the safe, each color scores based on the space they're on, and you move the vault. Great family game with hidden roles.

The version I played didn't have cards, but it's been republished a number of times.

burger time fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 13, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

burger time posted:

Top Secret Spies / Under Cover / Heimlich and Co.

Won the spiel in 1986. Loved that game as a kid. You can move any piece with the die, and split your move between pieces. Each space has a point number on it, and when one piece reaches the safe, each color scores based on the space they're on, and you move the vault. Great family game with hidden roles.

The version I played didn't have cards, but it's been republished a number of times.

It's also currently out of print by Rio Grande too which is a shame.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also currently out of print by Rio Grande too which is a shame.

There should be a lot of copies floating around ebay - it's been around for a while.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

Ah, so that was you! I ended up playing Roll For The Galaxy and Five Tribes after that, so it was a pretty good day of games. What did you think of Terra Mystica?

Terra Mystica is solid, but I think I need to run through it again in order to have actually played it instead of having simply gone through my actions each turn. It's not overly complex, but it is possible to have a few positioning mistakes really cost you the game. I'm not sure if it is necessarily as good as the praise it gets. There seem to be some factions that are definitely much stronger than others, and adding a faction auction in the expansion seems to be a band-aid fix.

I love the faction boards as a design element, though. It was always clear what my options were. I likely missed the point of the game in that I didn't compete too strongly to pull points from the round objectives and instead played for end-game scoring. After having gone through the game, it seems that you need to stay competitive both round-to-round and in end-game scores in order to win.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

okay, so i've been drinking, a LOT, and nothing against you spiggy (you're a cool dude and i like you!), but i loving hate this terrible game.

From the Dark Moon PbP. It seems like a game my friends might like, so talk to me Broken Loose: what's wrong with Dark Moon? I mean, I can see the same rulebook and thread you can so I'm looking for your interpretation on why I should warn my (BSG loving) friends away.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Trasson posted:

From the Dark Moon PbP. It seems like a game my friends might like, so talk to me Broken Loose: what's wrong with Dark Moon? I mean, I can see the same rulebook and thread you can so I'm looking for your interpretation on why I should warn my (BSG loving) friends away.

BSG Express had a lot of issues, and Dark Moon doesn't really fix any of them. It cuts down on the playtime of BSG by sacrificing most everything that made the game worthwhile. Additionally, the rules have lots of holes, some MASSIVE holes, and then the massive holes are covered up by the manual saying "don't play with cheaters" like it means something.

Without spoiling anything from the current PBP:
  • Humans have very little interesting to do. Imagine if BSG didn't have Fuel, Food, Morale, Population, or a DRADIS, so the only way to lose was via damage to Galactica. Every Crisis in the game is just Skill Check: If failed, damage Galactica. You're running around repairing things and that's it, really.
  • As such, Infected players have only a single vector by which to interact, which is to fail to properly fix Galactica when asked to do so, spike Skill Checks, and do those repeatedly without being caught.
  • The only variance to this is that the humans have to rely on rolling a 5+ on a D6 to do anything, which is supposed to cover for the Infected players.
  • Mandatory Briggings is cool in theory ("Woooo! Tension abounds from players being forced to make accusations!") but what it really means is that humans don't have to spend actions brigging suspected Infected.
  • The rules are horribly written and full of problems. It was recently brought up that there are 3 or 4 possible ways to interpret the Commander Die rules, exacerbated by the FAQ being worse written than the rulebook.
  • Online, there's a moderator, but offline, the game has no way to enforce honesty with respect to dice. The manual then glosses over this and says that only assholes would have to worry about this, and you're not an rear end in a top hat, are you?*
  • The only Title mechanics are the Commander, which are a very rudimentary version of BSG's Admiral mechanics.
  • Lone Wolf is too luck-reliant (roll a 5+ on 2 dice out of a single 3D6 roll) to be anything other than a gimmick distraction.

*The secondary problem with "don't play with cheaters" is that the potential to cheat often affects a person's willingness to cheat. In a game where players have many opportunities to cheat for personal gain without risk of getting caught or ruining everybody's day (like fudging a dice roll in D&D) then it will happen. In a game where players have no opportunities to cheat without it being blatantly obvious to the group that they cheated (like taking an extra action in BSG) then it will happen dramatically less. If graphed, there would be a nearly vertical dropoff in player cheating at the point where the opportunities to discreetly cheat approach 0. A person isn't a Cheater by nature, just like how in gun control discussion a person isn't a Killer by nature-- a person kills because they have a motive and opportunity, not because they're some random NPC that just automatically breaks into people's houses to murder their entire families. It's a false Otherization that purposely dehumanizes anybody who commits an action because it refuses to address the action at its core.

The primary problem with "don't play with cheaters" is that a Good Game is Good when played with literally anybody. Codenames doesn't have the problem of "Don't play with assholes!" Space Alert doesn't have the problem of "Don't play with quarterbacks!" Battlestar Galactica doesn't have the problem of "Don't play with cheaters!" poo poo, somebody was just praising how they could play Codenames with any group of random strangers and it will always be awesome. End of cheating discussion.

So, this all combines to create a game where the humans don't really have a choice as to what to do (the only actual choices they have are "XO somebody to fix 2 things," "Fix 1 thing," or "Brig somebody," with XO being obviously superior to fix and manual brigging being almost completely unnecessary with mandatory auto-brigging). Infected players don't really have a choice as to what to do (their only actual choices are "pretend to do a thing and then gently caress it up" and "reveal," which is trivially solvable depending on board state). You're just playing Whack-A-Mole with dice. The game breaks 2 of the unofficial design principles I laid out (players should have choices, rules should be clear and enforceable). The manual blames the players for its own shittiness. To top it all off, it doesn't even fill a niche of being a fast traitor game since Resistance and ONUW are faster.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

this was a really good post and you should make such posts about other games frequently.

this post may sound sarcastic, but it is not.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Broken Loose, all you did for me was make me really want to play BSG again.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Thank you. I thought I was just missing something when I didn't like this game and couldn't find anyone else who was critical of it.

I have to find something to replace Dark Moon with on this CSI order before it ships :cry:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I've ever had the "cheater problem" even when the game might have allowed it. I dunno man, while "don't play with cheaters" is sort of pointless advice, the flipside of it is who the gently caress are you playing with who goes "oh man a dice screen, now I can totally cheat at board games easier" who isn't a notable rear end in a top hat right off the bat? Like fine, cheaters aren't literally subhuman scum, but still, who are these friends of yours who are totally cool, rational people who see something like that and go heyyyyyy, I could cheat now, I should totally get in on that?

And as far as other games not having the "don't play with assholes" problem, the worst gaming experience I had in recent memory was with Spyfall of all things when someone accused of being the spy pitched an absolute pissbaby bitchfit because "how am I supposed to be the spy if I can't memorize all 30 of these locations beforehand UGH THIS GAME IS TRASH GARBAGE" and it pretty much killed the game there and then and soured the rest of the evening. I'm not going to suggest that this sort of occurrence is commonplace or anything, but I think if someone's an rear end in a top hat they're going to be a loving rear end in a top hat whether the game enables their repressed cheating instincts or not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Spyfall of all things when someone accused of being the spy pitched an absolute pissbaby bitchfit because "how am I supposed to be the spy if I can't memorize all 30 of these locations beforehand UGH THIS GAME IS TRASH GARBAGE"

Sever

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Oh no question. This was at Tuesday board game night at the FLGS so I didn't have the wherewithal to tell him to get out or anything, but I notice he hasn't been back since then and I absolutely will never have a thing to do with that dude ever again if he does come back. That was my one and only game of Spyfall, it lasted a grand total of ten minutes and I'm still pissed at that guy for making GBS threads all over everything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Locks are there to keep honest men honest.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Everything you say is true, but then again, as the Gipper said, "Trust, but verify." There is a certain degree to which a game designer needs to consider if and how players could cheat. A very obvious example would be type-based-searching in Magic: The Gathering. If you can only get a land, you have to show it to your opponent. If you can get anything, then it can be secret. On the other hand, some games like Love Letter can't really have rules to prevent a player from cheating, in this case when targeted by a Guard, since any independent verification ruins the game. Obviously, people can cheat at anything. Hey look I just won Filthy Rich, yes I had $45 for the Space Shuttle, why do you ask. The problem is when a game doesn't remember that cheating is a possibility. I don't think it is too outrageous to say that properly designed games will not have that kind of problem unless it is unavoidable.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
During one of my game nights we had this newcomer show up. He was silent for most of the night. Then one of the store owner's friends showed up drunk and stoned. The friend was making stupid jokes and spilled a drink when the newcomer threw a giant hissy fit and just walked out.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think my first experience playing spyfall was the Spy also going all "blah blah memorization bullshit", however it wasn't a game night wrecking disaster. Thinking about it, maybe it's actually good game design that lets you know which people you probably don't want to play Spyfall with are immediately.

Though really, the secret best part about spyfall is forgetting to actually add the Spy card to pool and spending the entire game not trusting anything.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Dr Tran posted:

During one of my game nights we had this newcomer show up. He was silent for most of the night. Then one of the store owner's friends showed up drunk and stoned. The friend was making stupid jokes and spilled a drink when the newcomer threw a giant hissy fit and just walked out.

Gonna be honest, I kinda feel quiet dude's pain there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And yes, before someone says anything I know that there's a difference between "being an obnoxious, whiny, argumentative dickhead" and "cheating at games," I'm just saying I find the idea that a game that doesn't lock down all possible avenues of cheating is going to inherently promote cheating even among otherwise well-behaved people is kind of bizarre. I'm thinking about the people at game night that I've sort of semi-cultivated into a core "I can play Kemet or Argent with these folks" crew and if any of them started cheating because they had a dice screen or something I would be genuinely surprised, like what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love that Battlestar Galactica is in the same paragraph as 'badly written rules' and it's not the one being criticized.

Also, thinking about it, I don't really agree with the assertion 'more dials for the cards you randomly draw to reduce' inherently means 'more interesting options'.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 14, 2015