Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

God drat even if you don't know anything about cars or financing you got to be real fuckin dumb to think a ten year old Nissan Sentra with 100k+ miles on it is worth anywhere near ten thousand United States Dollars.

That's just not the kind of car that is exciting and you fall in love with at first sight and make bad in the moment decisions about. It's a boring rear end economy car that wasn't even top of its class when new.

These stories are always about Nissans. They truly are subprime magnets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Guinness posted:

God drat even if you don't know anything about cars or financing you got to be real fuckin dumb to think a ten year old Nissan Sentra with 100k+ miles on it is worth anywhere near ten thousand United States Dollars.

That's just not the kind of car that is exciting and you fall in love with at first sight and make bad in the moment decisions about. It's a boring rear end economy car that wasn't even top of its class when new.

They really don't know anything about cars at all if a brake job and some exhaust repairs means that the "car won't last much longer"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

They really don't know anything about cars at all if a brake job and some exhaust repairs means that the "car won't last much longer"

"It's on its last legs!" Time to buy another crappy car at usurious rates and roll in the negative equity. :pseudo:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guinness posted:

The part that always blows my mind is the Reddit post asking what to do and the top response being "You should have googled 'Is 20% a good rate for a car loan?' before you decided to buy a car." and the person always says, "It's too late for that! I need practical advice. How was I supposed to know you could just do that?"

And they had a functioning second car! There was all the time in the world to at least do a google search before going to the dealer!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a better GWM car brand than honda when it comes to normal, un-hosed-around-with resale value for their sedans and hatchbacks?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Good Parmesan posted:

You can lead a horse to water...

It's artisinal glacier fed hidden spring purestrain water. Only the best for my horse.

*horse leans over to drink, shatters all bones*

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wilderthanmild posted:

If we’re being rejected, it’s for a reason. If we find ourselves tempted to alter documents, then it means we most likely can’t qualify for it on our own and committing fraud to obtain a mortgage isn’t worth it. Good chances we will end up unable to pay our mortgage if we have to lie to get it in the first place.

Yeah no kidding, dummy. Make a venn diagram of "approved" and "not affordable" and those two circles do overlap.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

metallicaeg posted:

Had beers with a BWM ex-coworker last night who showed me recent photos of his car being towed due to a failed serpentine belt. 10 years old/130k miles and he never had any belts replaced on it prior to this incident. He bought this car because the last one suicided itself when the timing belt broke going full speed down the highway. He still didn't bother getting the timing belt done when the serpentine belt was replaced.

:shrug:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 9, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a better GWM car brand than honda when it comes to normal, un-hosed-around-with resale value for their sedans and hatchbacks?

Toyota

But Honda is nearly as good and more fun/interesting

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Yeah no kidding, dummy. Make a venn diagram of "approved" and "not affordable" and those two circles do overlap.

I remember when I first got pre-approved and they told me the max I could get and I was astounded how bad of an idea it sounded like. Then it dawned on me how many people must look at that and think "Oh that means I can afford up to x" rather than "The bank will approve my idiot rear end for up to x".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A LOOOOT of people don't care about nerd poo poo like amortization schedule and interest rate.

Just tell me how to get the Dollars Per Month to $500 so I can drive my car!! People always have a car payment so who gives a toot what the nitty gritty says as long as the payment is $500!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A LOOOOT of people don't care about nerd poo poo like amortization schedule and interest rate.

Just tell me how to get the Dollars Per Month to $500 so I can drive my car!! People always have a car payment so who gives a toot what the nitty gritty says as long as the payment is $500!

I really did not understand a lot of the advertising saying stuff like "I got my payments to $XXX a month!" I kept thinking "but for how long? You haven't given me enough information to decide if that's good or not!"

Privilege is a hell of a drug

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This was my brother's in-laws, no joke. They had a new truck every year. When my mom asked them how much it was costing them they gave her a blank stare.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with shopping for a car with a target monthly price in mind. But where people go wrong is when they don’t look at the interest rate or how much it adds to the price of the car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Even in the comments of that reddit post, people are bragging about how "Well my new Honda payments are only $400/mo :smug:" which means absolutely nothing on its own. Down payment, interest rate, loan term, trade in value, etc all affect that. PF should know better.

Do never shop on monthly payment alone. That's probably the leading way that people get screwed.

very stable genius posted:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with shopping for a car with a target monthly price in mind. But where people go wrong is when they don’t look at the interest rate or how much it adds to the price of the car.

You should be shopping for the car on total sale price, and nothing else. Financing terms are a different decision.

What total price you are comfortable paying can be backed out from calculating what monthly payment you're comfortable with based on your downpayment/trade-in, expected interest rate, and loan term are. You should know these numbers pretty well ahead of time.

If all you care about is a "$500 monthly payment" all sorts of shenanigans can be played in financing terms to make it happen.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 9, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

Toyota

But Honda is nearly as good and more fun/interesting

I've had both, and vastly prefer Toyotas. They both have shining spots for certain models and years, but overall I would buy a maintained Toyota over anything else.

Edit: Mazda and Nissan also sometimes have good models.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 9, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

This was my brother's in-laws, no joke. They had a new truck every year. When my mom asked them how much it was costing them they gave her a blank stare.

I'm pretty sure I've posted it in this thread before, but one of my coworkers was so excited that they got a "free upgrade" at their BMW dealer. They had 1-year left on the loan for their 2012 BMW and the dealership got her to trade it in and get a new 2017 version of the same car with the same monthly payments on a new 6-year loan.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've posted it in this thread before, but one of my coworkers was so excited that they got a "free upgrade" at their BMW dealer. They had 1-year left on the loan for their 2012 BMW and the dealership got her to trade it in and get a new 2017 version of the same car with the same monthly payments on a new 6-year loan.
Yup, this was them, except replace "1 year" with "probably 3 years."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

That's purestrain unstepped on BWM right there.

I feel uncomfortable trading in cell phones. I can't even imagine getting rid of a BMW that is mostly paid off and probably still has $20k+ trade in value.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

..So like those financed cellphone upgrades, but.. with a car :stonk:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A coworker of mine did that too, with a Toyota Avalon. Her Avalon was 3 years old and they got her in the current year model. She had brought the Avalon into the dealership for an oil change and they upsold her into a new car.

This was in a corporate finance job, and she had an MBA and was finishing up classes for a CPA

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

..So like those financed cellphone upgrades, but.. with a car :stonk:

I don’t know what any of these are, or what anyone is talking about

Can someone please explain?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It is not uncommon for cellphone carriers in the US to offer annual upgrades to customers where you give them your iPhone 4 or whatever and they give you a new iPhone 4S or whatever and you just pay $x for the phone itself on your phone bill each month, where $x * 12 > cost of phone.

But you don't have to pay anything up front, certainly not <cost of phone> so it's a free* upgrade!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DarkHorse posted:

I really did not understand a lot of the advertising saying stuff like "I got my payments to $XXX a month!" I kept thinking "but for how long? You haven't given me enough information to decide if that's good or not!"

Privilege is a hell of a drug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2jVJcyyCo

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That sounds really stupid. Maybe I’m not understanding it

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Furia posted:

That sounds really stupid.

Then you're understanding it perfectly.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Furia posted:

That sounds really stupid.

You're understanding it perfectly.

e:f;b

If, like most Americans, you don't actually have $1000 sitting around, much less $1000 you can piss away on luxuries, but you're mortified of not having the latest gadgets and therefore looking like some kind of filthy poor, and don't actually bother/care to do the math, $100/mo for a new free* phone every year has an appeal.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 9, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The phone upgrade system isn't the worst thing out there. Trying to sell a phone on Craigslist makes me want to crack my own screen and unless you have family members you can pass the phone down to, it generally just sits in a drawer getting older.

But holy loving poo poo it's not a car.

hailthefish posted:

If, like most Americans, you don't actually have $1000 sitting around, much less $1000 you can piss away on luxuries, but you're mortified of not having the latest gadgets and therefore looking like some kind of filthy poor, and don't actually bother/care to do the math, $100/mo for a new free* phone every year has an appeal.

What phone costs $100/month?

I've got a sweet Palm Pilot I've only got 6 more payments on and that's only like $35 a month.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know I've only ever had refurb phones, myself :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

The phone upgrade system isn't the worst thing out there. Trying to sell a phone on Craigslist makes me want to crack my own screen and unless you have family members you can pass the phone down to, it generally just sits in a drawer getting older.

But holy loving poo poo it's not a car.

What phone costs $100/month?

I've got a sweet Palm Pilot I've only got 6 more payments on and that's only like $35 a month.

Phones are getting there. An iPhone X 256GB is $48 a month, and it’s definitely possible Apple will release an even more expensive one.

Keep in mind an unlimited data plan with that phone and insurance for one person is about $150 a month BEFORE tax, so essentially most people are paying $100+ for a smartphone and service.

Most people have been incrementally upgrades by the phone companies. Smartphones 3 years ago were around $25 a month. Then $27. Now $29-48. People don’t blink because it’s “only $5-10 more than what My current bill is.”

Full disclosure, I pay $42 a month for my iPhone X. I used to sell my old phones (sold my 7 for $420ish), I think this year I’ll finally join the yearly upgrade program.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Phones are sold by carriers in 24 month installment plans with no interest (fortunately) from what I’ve seen. But they allow you to upgrade after 12 months, so you will have paid for half of your old phone and you don’t get any of the money back and your installment plan starts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trying to sell a phone on Craigslist makes me want to crack my own screen and unless you have family members you can pass the phone down to, it generally just sits in a drawer getting older.

Swappa.com I've sold a few and bought a few. It's surprisingly well thought out and mostly painless.

Baxate posted:

Phones are sold by carriers in 24 month installment plans with no interest (fortunately) from what I’ve seen.

Now the BWM is coming from within the thread.

You fell for that one pretty good. The "interest" is the simple fact that you are paying FULL RETAIL MSRP on the phone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

canyoneer posted:

A coworker of mine did that too, with a Toyota Avalon. Her Avalon was 3 years old and they got her in the current year model. She had brought the Avalon into the dealership for an oil change and they upsold her into a new car.

This is exactly how my coworker did it too.

It blew my mind that she went in for an oil change and walked out with a new car.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Phones are getting there. An iPhone X 256GB is $48 a month, and it’s definitely possible Apple will release an even more expensive one.

Keep in mind an unlimited data plan with that phone and insurance for one person is about $150 a month BEFORE tax, so essentially most people are paying $100+ for a smartphone and service.

Most people have been incrementally upgrades by the phone companies. Smartphones 3 years ago were around $25 a month. Then $27. Now $29-48. People don’t blink because it’s “only $5-10 more than what My current bill is.”

Full disclosure, I pay $42 a month for my iPhone X. I used to sell my old phones (sold my 7 for $420ish), I think this year I’ll finally join the yearly upgrade program.

Yes, but phones are now replacing computers for a lot of families. There was a story about a lady whose laptop got jacked the first week of school and she finished the semester doing all her research and term paper writing on her iPhone. Which sounds horrid, but still kind of impressive. If you include all the things expensive cell phones replace they start making more financial sense.

They can even replace your friends.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Motronic posted:

Swappa.com I've sold a few and bought a few. It's surprisingly well thought out and mostly painless.

Now the BWM is coming from within the thread.

You fell for that one pretty good. The "interest" is the simple fact that you are paying FULL RETAIL MSRP on the phone.

Yeah I mean that’s generally what happens when you buy new unused electronics.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FAUXTON posted:

BMWs (especially Ms) and Porsches hold value like mad. In a less-luxury arena, Subarus and Jeeps do pretty well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phanatic posted:

BMWs (especially Ms) and Porsches hold value like mad. In a less-luxury arena, Subarus and Jeeps do pretty well.

Is this true? I am fairly certain that M series value plummets hard and fast.

The M2 for example has horrendous lease terms due to the crap residuals

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I've been shocked about how well older Priuses have held their value, even with higher miles

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Cat Figurine Guy has a long-lost sister.

I'm (28 M) worried that my wife's (26 F) hobby is becoming an obsession

quote:

(Been married about a year)
A few months ago my wife started getting really into decorative gourd painting, she's always been an artsy person so this wasn't that weird. She started following a bunch of accounts of people on Etsy and Pinterest who do it.
She buys a lot of painted gourds from these people, and also tries to make her own. She does it by buying fresh gourds from the farmer's market then trying to cure them, but she doesn't usually do it correctly so they end up going bad (I have no idea what proper gourd preservation technique is, I just know they're supposed to last several weeks to months)
Now here's the thing, when they go bad she denies that they're bad. They'll just sit there rotting away because she insists she did it right.
I have found rotten, nearly liquid gourd on the top of the cabinets after having a bad smell in the kitchen for a week. I understand the reluctance to get rid of something she worked on, but by then they're not even gourds anymore, they're moldy sludge. They've gone bad inside a display cabinet she bought, in bowls, and on windowsills.
Also our apartment is practically overflowing with decorative gourds at this point. She just keeps buying them and doing this nearly every day. All the rooms have at least a few gourd displays even the bathroom. There's one on top of the toilet tank. There's a huge pile on the kitchen table, that is so big it covers almost the whole table. It's not just a few in the center, that would be fine, I mean that there's so many gourds they're spread out almost to the edges. We can't eat at the table without moving some, which she won't do.
I've started to get worried about our budget because the amount she spends on Etsy decorative gourds, farmers market gourds, and gourd curing/painting supplies surpasses even the monthly rent.
I'm also worried about her mental health, when nearly all her time is spent on this. Sometimes she'll watch a show with me at night but usually she's either on the internet looking at gourd stuff or working on her own displays. I'm starting to feel like we barely spend any time together even though we live together.
As an outside observer her focus on this to the exclusion of most other things is a really big change to me, she doesn't seem unhappy but she used to have other interests. Now this is all she wants to do.
To be clear I'm not saying I want her to quit the gourd hobby completely. But any hint that maybe she buys more than she needs (seriously, there's 3 bags full of ones she hasn't touched yet) is met with categorical denial. She doesn't even consider that it might be excessive if there's over 30 decorative gourds in a single room (This is the living room, just counted 32. She says it's no different from a room with 32 books or 32 dvd's)
Am I over-reacting? How do I express my worries without sounding like I'm accusing her of being crazy or wanting her to stop doing something she likes? Maybe focus just on the money issue?
tl;dr: My wife of almost a year has been cultivating a massive ornamental gourd collection. She doesn't like to throw them out when they start rotting. Most surfaces in our apartment are taken over by gourd displays and it's difficult to use them now. I'm worried about money and her single-minded attitude around this one activity. I feel like I hardly get any real time with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this true? I am fairly certain that M series value plummets hard and fast.

The M2 for example has horrendous lease terms due to the crap residuals

Absolutely not true.