Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

edit - apparently it's a fine example of Brutalist Architecture which sounds like the best kind

brutalism is basically as deep as architects were able to get their heads within their asses. the funniest things are brutalist churches, apparently there are some that have been declared historical/cultural monuments by jackass art people and the actual parishioners are legally prohibited from blowing up their stupid rear end ugly depressing churches

this is all kinda fun until you remember that you have to build buildingsi n the real world where the sun isnt always shining at the right angle and not having any eaves and building in concrete means your walls get stained by rain and pigeon poo poo and it costs a fortune to heat or cool your stupid rear end gigantic art project so humans can exist within it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oystertoadfish posted:

brutalism is basically as deep as architects were able to get their heads within their asses. the funniest things are brutalist churches, apparently there are some that have been declared historical/cultural monuments by jackass art people and the actual parishioners are legally prohibited from blowing up their stupid rear end ugly depressing churches

haha it's like one of those chapels carved out of a missile silo in Fallout except somehow more depressing

the gently caress is even with that ceiling, why does a ceiling need to be like a stealth goddamned fighter

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hydrox are pretty poo poo tbh

Hydrox came before Oreos but I wont argue quality.

Listened to Trump's NRA speech. His shtick is entertaining for a while, maybe enough to get him through the election, but people are going to get so sick of it for four years on no matter how great he makes America.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oystertoadfish posted:

this is all kinda fun until you remember that you have to build buildingsi n the real world where the sun isnt always shining at the right angle and not having any eaves and building in concrete means your walls get stained by rain and pigeon poo poo and it costs a fortune to heat or cool your stupid rear end gigantic art project so humans can exist within it

makes for some sick metal album covers tho, god drat.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

oystertoadfish posted:

All I see is that cult in Planet of The Apes, praying to the nuclear bomb as their god.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Oh and another feature is that you have to spend 4 hours and $250 to heat the cavernous open space that serves no purpose before anybody feels any effect"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i remember walking through a school (as in architecture school idk if thats what all architecture schools are called but tahts how it was known where i went to undergrad) and seeing the students literally lying on their bellies on the floor drawing poo poo with big fat crayons

gently caress architects

the sydney opera house is cool tho that's a decent example of an architect setting a crazy-rear end challenge and engineers rising to it. still hilariously impractical but whatever that can be allowed on occasion

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think Hydrox are fine and James Stirling had some really good ideas.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive heard of hydrox but ive never eaten them and im not sure ive ever actually seen them irl

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

oystertoadfish posted:

i remember walking through a school (as in architecture school idk if thats what all architecture schools are called but tahts how it was known where i went to undergrad) and seeing the students literally lying on their bellies on the floor drawing poo poo with big fat crayons

gently caress architects

the sydney opera house is cool tho that's a decent example of an architect setting a crazy-rear end challenge and engineers rising to it. still hilariously impractical but whatever that can be allowed on occasion

art is cool & good, and not everyone wants to live in aspergers functional shoeboxes, ffs

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

mike12345 posted:

art is cool & good, and not everyone wants to live in aspergers functional shoeboxes, ffs

haha its possible im using exaggeration as a rhetorical technique and there's actually a middle ground

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

I hear what you're saying about the pigeons and heating costs and all, but these churches look dope as gently caress

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think the silliness of modern architecture is when it's at its most aspergian and shoeboxlike because there's been a tendency to neglect beautiful, functional forms of traditional architecture on theoretical bases

a little booklet tom wolfe wrote called from bauhaus to our house is a good enough summation of the argument

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

haha its possible im using exaggeration as a rhetorical technique and there's actually a middle ground

mike12345 posted:

I have aspergers, ffs

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Why can't I play as an Australian civ in Civ V? That's messed up.

you can, it's one of the better known mods for it, and also one of the higher-quality ones, they actually made a full 3D voice acted model for Henry Parkes (it's a little rough but)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221344781

there's also a more recent one under John Curtin, by the same people, and imo it's actually the nicer one of the two. icon art's better

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=672705874

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i doubt many of us have aspergers tbh i think mostly we suffer from forums posting

its a different entry in the dsm v

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

i think the silliness of modern architecture is when it's at its most aspergian and shoeboxlike because there's been a tendency to neglect beautiful, functional forms of traditional architecture on theoretical bases

a little booklet tom wolfe wrote called from bauhaus to our house is a good enough summation of the argument

idk I like it when architects are allowed to experiment to the point where it cedes to be a habitat. establish some chaos and then go back towards functionality.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've always been under the impression that all "great" architecture is actually profoundly inefficient and sacrifices a lot of the sake of a specific aesthetic. Falling Waters is what everybody things of but isn't that a nightmare to heat/cool? Same with that one Ferris Bueller house

At least it isn't a $10,000 oversized bean bag with a meth-fueled fanfic on the placard or whatever is on display at your local MOMA so whatever

Nobody admires the old WPA buildings that comprise everything used in our national parks and so much else but they're still chugging along like champs after like 80 years

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oystertoadfish posted:

ive heard of hydrox but ive never eaten them and im not sure ive ever actually seen them irl

fun fact: hydrox were released before oreos, making oreos the hydrox knockoff. except oreo totally did it better and didnt name their cookie like a loving cleaning chemical.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess from spending time in dc and on college campuses i've seen 20th century architecture and i've seen what came before and i've made my own judgments about which styles are more beautiful/interesting/whatever. i'm glad art exists

i dont mean to overdo the utilitarian argument, i just like to poke fun at some of these buildings. college students drawing in crayon is also silly and im just doing that thing where engineers sneer at architects for fun even though i couldnt build a building for poo poo

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah we really need to get down our practical civil architecture. america has no problems building things that stand up right, and look nice, but whether or not they're practical is up to when some glaring flaw is found way too late, like all the oxygen being sucked out of you when you stand in some specific spot

those squat old buildings they use for like dmvs and preserve offices work fine and all, but sooner or later we might need to talk about replacing them, and also expanding them

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I grew up like 20 minutes from Fallingwater, but I never actually went there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We need some creative energy put to buildings that efficiently house lots of people and are cheap to build so my loving rent may go down

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Epic High Five posted:

We need some creative energy put to buildings that efficiently house lots of people and are cheap to build so my loving rent may go down

this is a good idea and one i've been pondering about for a long time

unfortunately there's like a 95% chance they wind up having tons of corners cut because it's just poors living there so we can skimp on x structurally integral feature, and then we have a bunch of kowloon walled cities everywhere

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah the idea of 'let's build efficient low-cost housing' is how we got the projects, it's pretty sad really. i guess fire hazard tenement housing wasn't great either

here's a bad-rear end german kowloon walled city documentary from back when it still existed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gyra_Solune posted:

this is a good idea and one i've been pondering about for a long time

unfortunately there's like a 95% chance they wind up having tons of corners cut because it's just poors living there so we can skimp on x structurally integral feature, and then we have a bunch of kowloon walled cities everywhere

That's pretty much all new rental development though. If the way forward is soulless under-insulated human containers then they may as well be cheap ones

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mike12345 posted:

idk I like it when architects are allowed to experiment to the point where it cedes to be a habitat. establish some chaos and then go back towards functionality.

I agree as a bystander who doesn't have to pay the heating bill for that church. If I was stuck with the bill, I'd shoot all architects on sight on principle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Epic High Five posted:

I've always been under the impression that all "great" architecture is actually profoundly inefficient and sacrifices a lot of the sake of a specific aesthetic. Falling Waters is what everybody things of but isn't that a nightmare to heat/cool? Same with that one Ferris Bueller house

At least it isn't a $10,000 oversized bean bag with a meth-fueled fanfic on the placard or whatever is on display at your local MOMA so whatever

Nobody admires the old WPA buildings that comprise everything used in our national parks and so much else but they're still chugging along like champs after like 80 years

Fallingwater and most of Wright's projects actually worked incredibly well by the standards of the time- you just have to bear in mind it was built in the 1930s. It's got serious issues now, but that's a product of its age and setting. The big problem with Wright is he cemented the architect as visionary auteur in the US, and the institute set up in his name is basically a cult of personality. The classical villain of the art-vs-functionality debate is Frank Gehry, whose buildings are both ugly and completely dysfunctional.

More generally, good architecture programs (and the good people who come out of them) cover aesthetic theory, but have heavy overlap with architectural engineering. When you see a college/uni split the two or move their buildings further apart, or divide their libraries, that's a bad sign.

I wonder who does design for Trump's resorts?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 21, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

once i tried to separate the us into australias. i just found it in my gmail

the areas with the lovely mspaint = sign are about equal in population to australia. the areas with the lovely mspaint 1/2 are half-australias. the united states can be divided fairly evenly and with some respect to cultural divisions into twelve australias and four half-australias

here's my math and some details https://ethercalc.org/iztnl41nv8nl

This is cool

A great take on the city/cultural divisions in America is the "United Areas of America" bit by the great Patrice O'neal on Opie and Anthony

Animated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SkOm7WF2U

Full conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZbzncPXIUY

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

once i went through this massive archive of o&a episodes with louis ck and/or patrice as guests on youtube, i tried to listen to episodes without them but i got really bored really quick

patrice was a big fat genius

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder who does design for Trump's resorts?

Whoever can design the most outward-facing surfaces to be plated with gold-leaf.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I'm in DC this weekend and the amount of Trump shirts and MAGA hats openly being warn by folks is insane. Dude is selling more merch than bands.

Also you can get knock off MAGA stuff everywhere. The knock off Hillary gear is all in pink and no one seems to be buying it...

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
If Trump was into Brutalist design he'd be worth voting for. The Wall would be amazing.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
You can just get out of my face if the Hydrox episode wasn't one of your fav episodes in this reality show. :colbert:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I hear what you're saying about the pigeons and heating costs and all, but these churches look dope as gently caress

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

I hear what you're saying about the pigeons and heating costs and all, but these churches look dopey as gently caress

:agreed:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Senor Oreo

oystertoadfish posted:

once i went through this massive archive of o&a episodes with louis ck and/or patrice as guests on youtube, i tried to listen to episodes without them but i got really bored really quick

patrice was a big fat genius

:same:

I'm working through this list for the second time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCUp0SIpT3TGxoDQCvlHA9Ug

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I thought "Hydrox" is a drain cleaner, I didn't think that's what you name cookies in the US. Yikes.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

mike12345 posted:

I thought "Hydrox" is a drain cleaner, I didn't think that's what you name cookies in the US. Yikes.

I thought it was one of those body builder supplements, I've never seen those cookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
to be fair it was named in 1908

• Locked thread