Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ratbert90 posted:

Open fire? At least she attempted to call out and warn the guy.

All good points, but a stray bullet is still a stray bullet. If you open fire at somebody you should always intend to kill.

Maybe it would have been a good idea for her to, but it's not something that should be a "You must follow these steps before you can shoot someone." approach.

The woman had some practice with the weapon but it was a high-stress situation for her, expecting precision from her in that case is unrealistic, quite frankly. We can't even get anything close to precision from the police and they're in theory supposed to be trained for such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The woman had some practice with the weapon but it was a high-stress situation for her, expecting precision from her in that case is unrealistic, quite frankly. We can't even get anything close to precision from the police and they're in theory supposed to be trained for such.
This is why the "arm everyone!!!" idea is so colossally stupid, by the way. Instead of reducing the adrenaline-fueled high-stress shootouts, lets make it so everyone can have one at any time! Then we'll truly be safe.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Sporadic posted:

we shouldn't expect everybody else to adjust their behavior so that the misbehavers' actions do not have any negative effects

->

Nobody has said that.

->

I don't think anybody would have said anything about this event if she scared the guy off by yelling she had a gun

Don't you realize you just did say that? You wanted her to choose a different course of action that would have resulted in less risk to the burglar and more risk to her.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
It looks like all these stupid memes are not going unnoticed. Here's an article debunking the "death spiral" claim that 11 states have more people on welfare than are working (mentioned a few pages back I believe).

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/11/169153282/spike-that-email-about-welfare-and-work-fact-checkers-say-its-not-true

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

She didn't have to answer the door.

If she was scared, especially when he came back with a crowbar, she SHOULD have pointed the gun at the door and yelled at him that she had a gun pointed at him.

I am more concerned that this yahoo lady shot at a man SIX loving TIMES and failed to kill him. That means, in a residential neighborhood, more than likely several rounds flew in random directions at a random house with people more than likely inside. She WASN'T PROPERLY TRAINED to use the gun, and endangered innocent people in the attempt to kill a intruder.

Killing over a B&E is never ever justified.
Killing over assault is.

Preemptively killing someone because they "could have" done something is not justified. That would be stupid and anybody who is claiming that is the correct thing to do is also wrong.
So it's okay to point the gun at him when he's at the door with a crowbar, but it's not okay when he's in her house and trying to enter the crawlspace she and her children are hiding in? :psyduck:

Pointing a gun at somebody is a threat escalation and involves the use of deadly force. Legally, it's only justified in cases where you feel your life is in danger. Whether that's ultimately the case or not doesn't matter, just as long as a jury agrees that a reasonable person in the same situation could come to the same conclusion. She locked the door, called police, fled to a secure area, and the guy continued to where she was - at that point I think he's a credible threat to her and her kids' safety, especially since they probably didn't have anywhere else to flee. Debating if the guy deserved to die for burglary is missing the point, just as the crazies that are lauding her for shooting a burglar are missing the point. He was shot in a context in which he was a threat to her life and safety, and without knowing his state of mind there's no way to tell if he "deserved" it.

As for shooting six times and not killing him, it happens more often than you'd think, even with highly-trained personnel shooting to kill. And while there is a credible risk of overpenetration it's unlikely to make it through a person and several walls of a house and still have enough energy to hurt someone. An immediate threat to your life trumps the unlikely chance of injuring someone outside the house.

Sporadic posted:

Nobody has said that.

I don't think anybody (left and right) would have said anything about this event if she scared the guy off by yelling she had a gun or if the cops captured him afterwards or even if she shot him once in the heat of the moment.

But my favorite part about that story nobody is mentioning is that she hid her kids, waited for the guy to break in, emptied her gun into him and then fled to her neighbor's house.

- edit If you guys are going to talk about it, read the whole story.
Did she have any other means of leaving the house? It doesn't sound unreasonable to shelter in your own home, and once it's been invaded you might not be able to escape without crossing paths with the intruder, in which case she'd be risking a confrontation with her kids and putting herself in danger. It's pretty disingenuous to say she was waiting for him, like a trap-door spider lying in wait or something.

What I find more disturbing is the husband emphasizing the use of the gun and to keep shooting, but it's at least understandable while he's listening to his wife and kids in danger.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

peak debt posted:

Don't you realize you just did say that? You wanted her to choose a different course of action that would have resulted in less risk to the burglar and more risk to her.

Are you loving stupid? I said that nobody would be talking about that story if she took a different course of action (from fleeing before he got in to yelling in an attempt to scare him off to only shooting him once) instead emptying her pistol in him before fleeing.

That's far away from me wanting her to choose a different course of action for the burglar's benefit and a million miles away from

peak debt posted:

we shouldn't expect everybody else to adjust their behavior so that the misbehavers' actions do not have any negative effects.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Taerkar posted:

Maybe it would have been a good idea for her to, but it's not something that should be a "You must follow these steps before you can shoot someone." approach.

I guess it depends on how you feel about taking a human life.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

seiferguy posted:

A staunch conservative military guy posted this on FB:

Aside from the already made points about the Greatest Generation basically inventing welfare, the cartoonist leaves out the fact that the current one has been fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
A tenured professor of mine (of engineering, natch) who's been edging toward libertarian-nutty for a while now just sent his entire student mailing list a link to some World Net Daily videos about an anti-gun conspiracy behind the Sandy Hook shooting. I can't even bear to watch them myself.

http://www.wnd.com/wnd_video/sandy-hook-media-myths/

His commentary was "Question of the day. Are we getting played????"

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Pitch posted:

A tenured professor of mine (of engineering, natch) who's been edging toward libertarian-nutty for a while now just sent his entire student mailing list a link to some World Net Daily videos about an anti-gun conspiracy behind the Sandy Hook shooting. I can't even bear to watch them myself.

Looks like "A Scanner Debtly".

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Pitch posted:

Holy poo poo that video was loving long to make such a simple point. That could have been less then a minute and got across the same information. The point being dumb is the least offensive part of the video.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

So it's okay to point the gun at him when he's at the door with a crowbar, but it's not okay when he's in her house and trying to enter the crawlspace she and her children are hiding in? :psyduck:
That's a pretty serious leap of logic there chief. :psyduck:

quote:

Pointing a gun at somebody is a threat escalation and involves the use of deadly force. Legally, it's only justified in cases where you feel your life is in danger. Whether that's ultimately the case or not doesn't matter, just as long as a jury agrees that a reasonable person in the same situation could come to the same conclusion. She locked the door, called police, fled to a secure area, and the guy continued to where she was - at that point I think he's a credible threat to her and her kids' safety, especially since they probably didn't have anywhere else to flee.
It's not made clear in the article, but it wasn't mentioned that he knew they where in the crawl space, what the crawl space actually was (it had a door?), or if he was just looking for poo poo to steal. Again, if he didn't know anybody was actually in the house, why would you jump to the conclusion that he was looking to harm anybody?

quote:

Debating if the guy deserved to die for burglary is missing the point, just as the crazies that are lauding her for shooting a burglar are missing the point. He was shot in a context in which he was a threat to her life and safety, and without knowing his state of mind there's no way to tell if he "deserved" it.
We won't know because he more than likely had no idea they where there. I'm not victim blaming; what he did was wrong and he shouldn't have been there at all. Breaking and entering is a serious SERIOUS crime and the psychological effects on the family are pretty horrendous when your privacy is ransacked.

However: Getting shot 6 loving times because you opened a door and (more than likely) didn't know anybody was there is also a really lovely thing to happen. It especially doesn't make it any better to know that it was probably a total surprise to him that anybody was actually there in the first place.

Dying over stuff is not ok. It's just STUFF.

quote:

As for shooting six times and not killing him, it happens more often than you'd think, even with highly-trained personnel shooting to kill. And while there is a credible risk of overpenetration it's unlikely to make it through a person and several walls of a house and still have enough energy to hurt someone. An immediate threat to your life trumps the unlikely chance of injuring someone outside the house.
I concede on this point. I agree.

quote:

Did she have any other means of leaving the house? It doesn't sound unreasonable to shelter in your own home, and once it's been invaded you might not be able to escape without crossing paths with the intruder, in which case she'd be risking a confrontation with her kids and putting herself in danger. It's pretty disingenuous to say she was waiting for him, like a trap-door spider lying in wait or something.
I'm not saying that. She was more like a rattle snake that was hiding from a human. The dude happened to step into the rattlesnake den and got bit. He didn't know the rattlesnake den was there, and he shouldn't have been walking around a place that may have rattlesnake dens.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Found this old chestnut on my facebook

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Pitch posted:

Isn't this gross misconduct by a professor? I never experienced any of this poo poo while in engineering school

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Boondock Saint posted:

The logic behind this one :psyduck:

"Hey, criminals won't bother obeying the law anyways, so why bother having laws to begin with?" :downs:

I really like this one (and the whole talking point) because of how subtly it dehumanizes people. It asks us to believe that there are two separate categories: non-criminals who obey all laws, and criminals who do not obey any. It's a completely absurd black-and-white viewpoint that rejects even the idea of empathy. It is a child's view of the world.

It is also the exact same view espoused by anyone posting about how a robber is "scum" and no one should care what happens to them.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I like how it relies on you not actually looking at the homicide statistics they quote. Yeah, "Non-Firearms" homicides are higher by about a quarter. This means that firearms are responsible for 3/4 the numbers of deaths caused by every single non-firearm using homicide. So taking murder committed by literally every single non-gun item in the world, and you'll still only beat firearms by ~25%.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

My Uncle posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This was directly emailed to me from what I can only assume is an AM Radio show:

from VoiceOfFreedom@inter.net

quote:

Excerpt from Muad'Dib's January 7th, 2013 Critical Mass Radio interview:

..They used a poster child for this to get everybody's sympathy and to get everybody's emotions up so that they could hopefully bring in a gun ban. They used a little poster child, a little blonde-haired blue-eyed six year old girl. She was the face, the poster child. She was supposedly killed along with the other 19 six year olds and seven year olds at Sandy Hook. Three days later Obama was there doing a photo op and she's sitting on his knee. She's supposed to be dead, used as a poster child, this little girl died - she's sitting on Obama's knee three days later. The same little girl.

And then they have her parents interviewed. It shows that they're all actors. It never really happened, because the guy that was supposedly her dad, is shown in the video where he's to the side and he's laughing and joking with other people and then he's called up in front of the camera. He's off to the left. Then he's called to the center, to the focus of the camera to be interviewed and to give his speech about Sandy Hook and about his daughter. And he goes from on the side from laughing and joking with everybody, he comes up to the center and ... he takes the joking, smiling face off and you can see him physically trying to force his face to look sad and then he starts talking about how his daughter's been killed. They're actors. There were no bodies.

It was a made for TV drama to try to ram through the gun control laws, because they want to kill the American people and they can't kill armed people. That's why Hitler disarmed the Germans, it's why Stalin disarmed the Russians, it's why chairman Mao disarmed the Chinese and they killed between them something like 120 million of their own people. And that's what they want to do in America and they can't do it because the people have the Second Amendment and they have guns. So they have to do all of this, and they'll keep doing it. There will be more incidents like this, which are made for television, until they manage to persuade the American people to give up their guns. And then they'll start killing the Americans. Because the Americans are the only people stopping them from doing what they want to do already. They know they can't put their next phase, which is reducing the world's population, they can't put that phase into operation whilst the Americans have got millions!
of guns.

These people makes me want to PUKE

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 12, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Internet Webguy posted:

I don't have any idea whether that woman did the right thing or what. I just feel like there are a few too many people whose response to anything that even vaguely resembles a threat is "Blow the fucker away!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Webguy posted:

I made a thread about these kinds of feelings, hopefully it doesn't turn into total poo poo right away.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527837

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Obama runs (oversees, presumably) this incredibly detailed plot to fake massacres across the country, using an involved network of actors, and yet nobody realizes that the same little girl is in a picture that's supposed to be dead? A picture with the President? And people just say "yeah, ok, that probably happened"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

CommieGIR posted:

This was directly emailed to me from what I can only assume is an AM Radio show:

from VoiceOfFreedom@inter.net

This makes me want to PUKE

I appreciate that the writer/speaker/whatever identifies as the messiah of Space Islam.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

There will be more incidents like this, which are made for television, until they manage to persuade the American people to give up their guns. And then they'll start killing the Americans. Because the Americans are the only people stopping them from doing what they want to do already. They know they can't put their next phase, which is reducing the world's population, they can't put that phase into operation whilst the Americans have got millions!
of guns.

President Obama sits in the war room, looking at the horror unfold on the screen in front of him.

"Our drones, fighter jets, and battleships are useless against their rifles!"

So wait. The premise is that the government wants to kill foreign people. The statement assumes that Americans are against killing foreign people as a whole, which I'm not entirely sure is true for some Americans. Somehow, Americans having guns prevents us from going to other countries and killing people there, but the Iraq war still happened as far as I remember? So the government needs to take away guns to kill Americans so they can kill foreign people. Except if Americans didn't have guns, then even assuming guns are the reason the government can't kill foreigners, then the government wouldn't need to kill Americans because they'd be powerless to stop the government anyway... :psyboom:

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
Law enforcement officers kill armed people all the drat time. I can't wait for some armed idiot to take out a police officer or federal agent with the claim that he was defending himself against tyranny. Oh wait, that's happened before and nobody ever loving believes it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm not even sure where these figures are from. I can't find a single source that even has total non-firearm homicides greater than firearm-related ones. This FBI link says that in 2011 there were about 12.6 thousand homicides of which 8.5 thousand were with guns. 8.5k gun deaths > 4.1k not

The CDC (second link on page is full PDF) says that in 2009 there were 11.5 thousand firearm homicides with 5.3 thousand occurring by other means. 11.5k gun deaths > 5.3 not.

In both cases, about twice as many deaths caused by guns.

I guess in the past year people started using baseball bats instead of guns. The mention of baseball bats is a complete red herring as well, any breakdown of other causes creates a lump category for all blunt weapons. There are no stats for individual objects. Blunt weapons also fall behind knives/blades and personal weapons (your body), the two most common causes of non-gun homicide.

Ror fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 12, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

swiss_army_chainsaw posted:

Law enforcement officers kill armed people all the drat time. I can't wait for some armed idiot to take out a police officer or federal agent with the claim that he was defending himself against tyranny. Oh wait, that's happened before and nobody ever loving believes it.

Somehow patriotism and fighting tyranny always predicates on the basis that you are in the right no matter what. I think this is closer to reality:

There are no real patriots. :911:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey guys, the purpose of this thread is to post silly forwarded emails and scoff at them. We have a separate thread if you want to have a deeper discussion about gun control reform and a whole forum if you want to talk about guns. Let's keep things in here a little lighter and focus on laughing at silly email forwards.

Thanks!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Has no one else seen anything about the shooting in California?

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

ultimateforce posted:

Has no one else seen anything about the shooting in California?

No, probably because the school staff talked him down instead of one of them shooting him with their concealed carry pistol. BOR-ING.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
edit: oh hey there fast moving thread.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So this "Stalin, Mao, and Hitler enacted gun control!" thing seems to be a really popular talking point right now. I know that Hitler restricted guns for Jews and loosened more restrictive Weimar-era laws for Germans, but what about Stalin and Mao? My instinct is that there weren't a ton of privately owned guns in the hands of Chinese peasants in 1950, but it seems like WWII might have inundated the USSR with weapons. Did either Stalin or Mao actually enact any kind of meaningful gun control like the right seems to be fantasizing about Obama implementing?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fandyien posted:

So this "Stalin, Mao, and Hitler enacted gun control!" thing seems to be a really popular talking point right now. I know that Hitler restricted guns for Jews and loosened more restrictive Weimar-era laws for Germans, but what about Stalin and Mao? My instinct is that there weren't a ton of privately owned guns in the hands of Chinese peasants in 1950, but it seems like WWII might have inundated the USSR with weapons. Did either Stalin or Mao actually enact any kind of meaningful gun control like the right seems to be fantasizing about Obama implementing?
Not only did that dastardly Obama set up these elaborate false flag hoax shootings with actors and stage sets, he actually went back in time and changed the historical events that gun-wielding conservative nutjobs distinctly remember happening. We're through the looking glass here, people.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Amused to Death posted:

If you're talking about Vietnam, most people from that generation were the people who wound putting Reagan into office and began to dismantle New Deal and Great Society programs. Although if you're calling WW2 a bullshit war, I don't know what to tell you in that case.
From last page, but yes, I'm calling WW2 a bullshit war. Same as every war.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kind of an aside to Fandyien's point, but what I find interesting about the "Hitler banned guns!" meme is the countries that are not brought up- Poland, France, Denmark and the whole rest of occupied Europe. Why is it only gun control in Germany that mattered in hypothetically stopping the war and/or Holocaust?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kavak posted:

Kind of an aside to Fandyien's point, but what I find interesting about the "Hitler banned guns!" meme is the countries that are not brought up- Poland, France, Denmark and the whole rest of occupied Europe. Why is it only gun control in Germany that mattered in hypothetically stopping the war and/or Holocaust?

It raises a good point. Other than the consequences of losing the war, were the Nazis really that bad for the average German? They were horrific for Jews/Gypsies and other minorities, but were they really unpopular with the populace as a whole?

I haven't read or listened to any of Hitler's speeches. I am happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt they were full of anti-freedom rhetoric or read like someone making a really obvious statement about taking away rights.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

It raises a good point. Other than the consequences of losing the war, were the Nazis really that bad for the average German? They were horrific for Jews/Gypsies and other minorities, but were they really unpopular with the populace as a whole?

I haven't read or listened to any of Hitler's speeches. I am happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt they were full of anti-freedom rhetoric or read like someone making a really obvious statement about taking away rights.
German jews were Germans. They didn't live off in their own dimension like the jews of Poland. They were very assimilated. So yes, Hitler was pretty unpopular with those Germans. He was also unpopular among some working class people. You have to remember how many communists there were in Germany just before. Some of the old junker aristocracy looked down their nose at him also. There's quite a few degrees of complicity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I forgot also the dissent that came from the religious angle, ranging from people like Niemoller to the Bishop of Munster.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What percentage of the population was that though?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

What percentage of the population was that though?
Not an especially high one. But you've got to understand that there are again, degrees. Also no one was taking detailed opinion polls in the Reich in 1942. If you want percentages you have to decide

1. What is Germany? Is it the Germany before the Anschluss, before the annexation of the Sudetenland? Areas where Germans are living? Areas where some Germans are living but not others? Germany's post 1945 borders? Pre 1919 borders? This leads into
2. Who is a German? Do you count only people living in the 1919-1938 borders of Germany? Austrians in '39? Danzigers in '40? This leads into
3. What year is it? The Reich lasted for 12 years. You want to talk about German opinions of the Hitler regime during the takeover in '33 or '34? The relatively stable peacetime years of '35-'38? '43, when the casualty lists get longer, the food gets shorter, and the bombs at night more frequent?

Also what do you consider direct support for the regime? Do you consider support for one program support for the entire slate of Nazi actions? Do you consider someone's nationalist pride for Germany to be support of Nazi ideals? Do you consider the support of German military actions to be tacit support of Nazi social engineering?

I do believe collective guilt applies and that almost every German compromised themselves in some way. That's what the system was all about. You have to also understand that the average German was pretty terrified of the Gestapo. It turns out there were a lot fewer Gestapo agents around than the average person actually believed. In the end I think it's an impossible question. Here's two things that illustrate the complexity of the issue.

A protest in Berlin, the capitol of the Reich, at the height of the war, that was successful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenstrasse_protest

A popular speech by Goebbels, right at the same time, listened to by everyone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportpalast_speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Implied the constitution might be outdated in a 2nd amendment argument on FB, got called a communist and nazi...

Only registered members can see post attachments!