Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky Valentine posted:

"This is like a video game, only it hurts!"

Valhalla is pretty much a team deathmatch server with good admin support, more respectful language, and depending on the mythology, a lot more girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dang that was a good season if Hilda. Very excited to watch season three in like 3 years if I don't die from one of the six apocalypses coming our way.

Troll mom would not get her baby back from me in that situation. It is precious and my son and I would die to protect it.

Also did the character design for the Jorts vending machine guy weird anybody else with how much he looks like an aged up version of David? I kept expecting one of them to recognize the other as an uncle or something but that never happened so now my current theory is that he's David from the future. There's no evidence supporting this, I've just decided that's what's happening and you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

I mean come on they both even have the same weird little hair loop thing!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

readingatwork posted:

Also did the character design for the Jorts vending machine guy weird anybody else with how much he looks like an aged up version of David? I kept expecting one of them to recognize the other as an uncle or something but that never happened so now my current theory is that he's David from the future. There's no evidence supporting this, I've just decided that's what's happening and you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

I mean come on they both even have the same weird little hair loop thing!

Yeah, that definitely felt weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He'd have to pick up a new accent in the process.

I think I liked season 2 of Hilda way more than the first season. For a lot of the first season I was kinda grappling with the show's tone and how Hilda seems more like a citygirl than somebody who grew up out in the country, but now it's really got itself worked out.

I was uncomfortable with how the series did the whole reflexive "hide everything from the adults" thing, and I like that they confronted that a little, but Hilda still never got around to telling her mom about things. Usually that's supposed to be about like escapism or maturing into a full adult, but Hilda's still a dumb kid who otherwise had a great relationship with her mom. There's just no reason for all the secrecy.

I was wondering whether it'd get a second season to build further on things, but I guess it definitely has to.

On specific episodes, I was disappointed that the head witch didn't want to at least try dating the old guy, because he's so sad otherwise, and it's weird because that prepared me for the next episode where I was totally ready for Twig to leave, at least temporarily, to learn how to be a deerfox, but they backed away from that. I'm glad Alpha got a good chance to shine, and I like that Gerda has some good inclinations despite having a bad boss, and it looks like there's going to be some growing understanding between humans and trolls.

I'm also disappointed the Thunderbird didn't come back.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hilda 2.7 barely a spoiler I appreciate that they let the credits song for that ep play the whole way through, even like 2 minutes after the credits roll finished.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Still working my way through but episode 11 is 100% an episode made for people who wanted more of the librarian and I'm here for it y'all.

Also, the Twig episode was stunning from an artistic perspective. The plot beats weren't anything surprising but it was a beautiful episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of Hilda is built around an incredibly limited color palette, which is a very interesting choice. It's a lot like Avatar's limited color palette where they did a whole lot with lighting conditions over the nation colors and then earth tones in the background, but even the primary colors of Hilda are really limited. They use a color that's halfway between blue and green and then a muted red and a pale yellow.

It really sets you up to appreciate when they do deeper, more colorful scenes. Even a little variation can make a big impression.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
New episodes of Craig of the Creek started yesterday. They seem pretty good so far.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's interesting how the villains in the Mask Cartoon escalate - it starts with Pretorious and Walter, one super smart, one super tough, but both otherwise human if larger than life with no real superpowers besides that - they aren't magic, they are just very good at their things. Then you get Skillit who is powerful when he has his shadow, but kind of useless without it. Then Fish Guy and Putty Thing are created, who have kind of strong abilities but basic and low stakes, same with Dr Kaboom the Exploding Man (they are just generally destructive and a little dumb). Dr Kronos only controls time due to an invention, so while she's more versatile and deadly than the others she is easily stopped if you get her clock. Then things get silly with Channel Surfer who controls all electronics and can use them to warp reality almost on the level of The Mask although far more specific, and Tempest, the most dangerous one by sheer power due to power over all weather. I'm currently midway through season 2, so closing in on Tempest, who I remember being fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to watching Obsidian, and it's got some really nice and well-written music, but I think I still despise Adam Muto's philosophy to worldbuilding from a place deep, deep inside myself.

So right at the beginning you got these glass folk in their glass kingdom who have their glass city built in a place next to a temple with a lava chamber that's got some kind of monster inside of it that Marceline defeated back in the day and locked it away. And they've got some old stories of how before before the monster or Marceline, they used that chamber to fix cracks. Something that'd be important to a glass society.

And then, by the end, they get rid of the monster, who had also developed some kind of power to create semisentient black glass minions, which seems to denote the further importance of the chamber, maybe even having something to do with the origin of the glass people, but nobody at any point has any interest in trying to use the chamber to fix cracks again, instead they reveal that all the glass people have cracks, and learn to accept being cracked, even though it's still a dangerous and possibly fatal health condition, as demonstrated by the jerk glass aristocrats being brutally murdered in a dumb nonsensical visual gag. Go see a doctor.

This is also after Princess Bubblegum proudly said with the words out of her mouth that she wanted to prove that her science could solve the glass folk's problem, but what she did didn't have anything to do with analysis or technology and just used her bodily secretions to try to disable the lava beast. She took no interest in the horrible injuries of the glass people.

I just really despise not just the world not being dived into, but the characters having no interest in the things around them. There's also some of this in how the story with Marceline's mom wasn't very substantial, but the glass people learning to accept their horrible wounds that will never heal really got to me.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally got around to watching Obsidian, and it's got some really nice and well-written music, but I think I still despise Adam Muto's philosophy to worldbuilding from a place deep, deep inside myself.

So right at the beginning you got these glass folk in their glass kingdom who have their glass city built in a place next to a temple with a lava chamber that's got some kind of monster inside of it that Marceline defeated back in the day and locked it away. And they've got some old stories of how before before the monster or Marceline, they used that chamber to fix cracks. Something that'd be important to a glass society.

And then, by the end, they get rid of the monster, who had also developed some kind of power to create semisentient black glass minions, which seems to denote the further importance of the chamber, maybe even having something to do with the origin of the glass people, but nobody at any point has any interest in trying to use the chamber to fix cracks again, instead they reveal that all the glass people have cracks, and learn to accept being cracked, even though it's still a dangerous and possibly fatal health condition, as demonstrated by the jerk glass aristocrats being brutally murdered in a dumb nonsensical visual gag. Go see a doctor.

This is also after Princess Bubblegum proudly said with the words out of her mouth that she wanted to prove that her science could solve the glass folk's problem, but what she did didn't have anything to do with analysis or technology and just used her bodily secretions to try to disable the lava beast. She took no interest in the horrible injuries of the glass people.

I just really despise not just the world not being dived into, but the characters having no interest in the things around them. There's also some of this in how the story with Marceline's mom wasn't very substantial, but the glass people learning to accept their horrible wounds that will never heal really got to me.

I think part of it is that the lava chamber got completely caved in with presumably no way to access it anymore. Plus I think I saw one of the jerk glass aristocrats blink or move their hand or something after getting shattered and they're not dead

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I think part of it is that the lava chamber got completely caved in with presumably no way to access it anymore. Plus I think I saw one of the jerk glass aristocrats blink or move their hand or something after getting shattered and they're not dead

I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got HBO Max and finally watched Infinity Train. It was really good and apparently isn't going to get a season 4 so that's a bit of a kick in the dick

I moved onto Steven Universe which is actually really good. I wrote it off years ago because the fandom was insane and it was a big turn off.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently the Wander Over Yonder guy has a new cartoon coming out on Netflix next month and it looks pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBZ9UkhblkM

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Oh John Dillermand, what are you up to now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC9_GCD7y3s

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That's copyright blocked but I'm assuming it's the new dutch cartoon about the guy with the massive penis right?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Whitenoise Poster posted:

That's copyright blocked but I'm assuming it's the new dutch cartoon about the guy with the massive penis right?

It was :( He sets the end of his dick on fire trying to light a barbecue and later uses it to "fish" for dogs from the back of a truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx70fsTuMMI

yaffle fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 8, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, is it meant to actually be a kid's cartoon?! :stonk:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you like kids shows that aired in 2020 (I nominated Bluey!) or any other shows you want to give a shout out, stop by the Annual TVIV Poll thread and make your opinion count.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

:siren:Deadline for submissions is 12:01AM PST on Jan 18th:siren:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently both Chip & Dale and Monsters Inc. are getting their own shows (the former has nothing to do with Rescue Rangers though, it’s more akin to their original cartoons from the 40s):

https://deadline.com/2019/06/chip-n-dale-reboot-disney-plus-monsters-at-work-details-annecy-1202630873/

Also it’s looking like the upcoming Tiny Toons reboot will feature a brand new voice cast.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 11, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSx5Ywc_YI

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: moved to another thread

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Not a fan of the setting. Or the artstyle. The voice acting isn't my thing either. Maybe the characters, story or possibly the score are good, but probably not worth checking out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think those were professional VAs though. That one guy was Jack Spicer. I'm not a fan of the style, it's really messy and kinda reminds me of Ren and Stimpy. The characters seem really unpleasant.

I feel like I've seen a lot of attempts at a wild west cartoon (I like this one), but none of them get picked up. I think maybe the baddie a day format probably isn't as good for the slower pacing of current cartoons? And definitely you can't really do gunslinging in a children's cartoon. I think the closest may have been Amphibia for capturing a small rural frontier town.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So this is Richard O'Brien.

In addition to portraying Riffraff, he's the guy who wrote the Rocky Horror Show/ Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Why is this here?

I was looking on Wikipedia and found out the other character he's best known for portraying

I mean, in retrospect I can see how point A connects to B, but that isn't something I'd have ever guessed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What show is that guy from?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

What show is that guy from?

He's the dad from Phineas & Ferb

e: mentioning P&F gives me an excuse to tell a story from work. A coworker of mine was playing a station (I believe it was just "ska") off Pandora in the office the other day and the drat P&F theme song came on of all things, which led me to find out that there is a full 3 minute version of the song and my mind was blown.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 16, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Richard O'Brian also hosted the best seasons of the Crystal Maze game show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

Richard O'Brian also hosted the best seasons of the Crystal Maze game show.

:hai:

Interesting, watching a clip, I can't hear RO'B in there at all. It's pretty impressive voice work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This thread's been quiet lately, have a Saberspark video about animated stuff upcoming this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15GQ7ANV5ZU

Lotta movies, a bunch of Pixar short projects that might just be reusing the high quality models from movies, Lin Manuel Miranda is still getting a lot of work as the only famous musical writer these days, and weirdly Genndy Tartakovsky's and Craig McKracken's upcoming cartoons are blurring together in my mind.

TwoPair posted:

He's the dad from Phineas & Ferb

e: mentioning P&F gives me an excuse to tell a story from work. A coworker of mine was playing a station (I believe it was just "ska") off Pandora in the office the other day and the drat P&F theme song came on of all things, which led me to find out that there is a full 3 minute version of the song and my mind was blown.

Phineas and Ferb had a lot of good music, and I'm not sure if that's just because I like the style of the writers, or just because with enough dedication to doing at least one song an episode, you'll get some hits eventually.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

this is sick. i've been following the crew since back in the day and I'm overjoyed it's here. it was fun, colorful, and full of lovely details. Haters can simply step off

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Wow carmen sandiego szn 4 is out and I didn't know until i looked on netflix a few days back. Sickening

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I adore the art style of this. The characters are just so fun to watch move around

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Phineas and Ferb had a lot of good music, and I'm not sure if that's just because I like the style of the writers, or just because with enough dedication to doing at least one song an episode, you'll get some hits eventually.

Probably a bit of both. I think it also helps that they mix it up a lot, different genres, different characters, different devices and situations. It's easy for cartoons that rely on musical numbers to end up half-assing them and using them as filler and getting into a stylistic rut. (a particular show about pastel ponies comes to mind there)

Steven Universe on the other hand goes all out to the point of casting almost every role with someone who has at least some singing talent, even if they don't end up using it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sliami posted:

Wow carmen sandiego szn 4 is out and I didn't know until i looked on netflix a few days back. Sickening

I didn't know until you posted about it, so thanks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
First ep of new Carmen Sandiego season was solid. On second ep right now. There seems to be less of the VILE HQ antics which is good. Zack's doofiness is definitely wearing on me a little though

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

I got HBO Max and finally watched Infinity Train. It was really good and apparently isn't going to get a season 4 so that's a bit of a kick in the dick

:smith:

I moved onto Steven Universe which is actually really good. I wrote it off years ago because the fandom was insane and it was a big turn off.

SU is a hard one. Because it was fighting with itself IMO. Also they would just do a bunch of episode drops and it would be gone on break for months.

That said like the she ra cartoon there would be moments for characters to have some real depth and meaning that goes beyond a kids cartoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ups_rail posted:

SU is a hard one. Because it was fighting with itself IMO. Also they would just do a bunch of episode drops and it would be gone on break for months.

That said like the she ra cartoon there would be moments for characters to have some real depth and meaning that goes beyond a kids cartoon.

I feel like She-Ra had an even bigger issue than SU with tone stuff, kinda swinging wildly between characters acting like soldiers in a war and a bunch of high school kids. Mostly when Mermista loses her kingdom to the Horde and it's treated more like a bad break-up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Running through season 4 and nearing the end. It definitely has more legs than S3 and it's obvious that they were part of the same production batch. Just odd that they were split. S3 had a subtheme of masks going on that got carried through to the end and the start of S4 seemed to have one about Gold before breaking off to a small arc about an ancient treasure and then a final denouement arc. It's definitely not bad but where S3 seemed to just meander without much development of the overarching plot, S4 seems to run through story beats like a freight train.

It makes me curious as to what's going on behind the scenes.

Edit: It's actually extremely frustrating for me that ACME has remained perpetually twelve steps behind everyone in the plot

Edit 2: This seems like series finale stuff. And looking it up on Wiki, it is. That explains the differences in S3 and S4. and probably means they were different batches, with the latter prompted to tie up loose ends and abandon the initial plans they had for the season.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Ups_rail posted:

It was more fighting Cartoon Network who ordered those kinds of schedules, which plagued a lot of shows at the time. Good lord, Adventure Time felt like it was gone for years, and then they'd do a random mini-arc. It was even rarer that they'd actually have the show in the block before hand, maybe doing a harder catch up on the channel before a new "bomb"

Teen Titans Go, though. They'd just dump out new episodes all the time, at least, that's what it felt like.

It was aggravating to be a fan, attempting to watch these with any regularity.