Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
What makes you think it's not the fans? It sounds like there's a cable or something dangling into some fan blades from your description. Could even be some bad bearings or some kind of manufacturing defect. Probably worth getting checked out as at best it will decrease the fan speed slightly and impact cooling. At worst it might end up shifting and jamming a fan completely which could drastically reduce the lifespan of what it's cooling (likely GPU) or result in throttling/shut downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I opened it up and the fans work just fine. It is definitely a grinding/chugging noise coming from the GPU.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I opened it up and the fans work just fine. It is definitely a grinding/chugging noise coming from the GPU.

Maybe return it and make an offering to the computer part RNG gods before you order again.

Also, what Lenovo are you getting with a discrete GPU? I can't think of a single Thinkpad with a 950m, and the rest of the Lenovo line is iffffyy...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I just bought a Lenovo laptop with a 950m, it seems to be making a strange grinding noise. It isn't the fans, it is coming from the GPU area and sounds like an old school hard drive chugging away. This laptop only has an SSD. Moving the mouse or scrolling a browser makes it louder, sitting at a blank desktop the sound goes away. Temperatures seem fine and performance is good. Is this something worth returning the laptop or just normal sound?

Yeah that definitely warrants a return.

Why did you buy a laptop with a 950m, if you don't mind my asking? If it was for games, that was a very poor buy at the moment.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

TrinityOfDeath posted:

It's probably inductive coil whine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah that definitely warrants a return.

Why did you buy a laptop with a 950m, if you don't mind my asking? If it was for games, that was a very poor buy at the moment.

There are a lot of really good laptop deals right now featuring a 950m in the $450-$600 slot (with SSDs on the higher priced). If you'd be happy with Intel graphics and a 950m is literally the same price, it makes sense.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lockback posted:

There are a lot of really good laptop deals right now featuring a 950m in the $450-$600 slot (with SSDs on the higher priced). If you'd be happy with Intel graphics and a 950m is literally the same price, it makes sense.

I didn't realize prices had fallen so much!

At those prices, espcecially on the lower end, by all means go wild! That's crazy good, and far be it from me to ask someone to pay over two times their budget to get a 1060.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yep, my old macbook pro was crapping out and I needed a new laptop asap. I wanted to make the change from mac to windows for gaming purposes, but I'm not ready to drop the money for a laptop with a 1060, ips screen, ssd, etc etc right now. So I went with the dell inspiron 7559 with a 960m, quadcore cpu, and an ssd for ~$450 refurb. I know the 960m isn't as powerful as the new gpus rolling out right now but I can play way more games that I could before with my stupid integrated mac, it is mobile (which I need right now), and it's a great bridge until I need to upgrade in a few years. I'm liking the purchase so far after ~2 months.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm in the market for a laptop, and I don't need much. The most intensive thing I'll do will be spreadsheets and tabletop simulator. I'd like something with a SSD and have been looking at the ThinkPad T460. Are the ThinkPads still reliable quality machines? Is a T460 overkill for my needs? The X260 also looks nice and is a bit cheaper.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The 860m/960m is a solid little GPU if you are looking at mid-power type games (which tend to work better on a laptop anyway). I have a toddler who broke 2 seperate mobile computers (one of which a Surface Pro 3) so I am waiting for him to get a bit more responsible before getting a new one, but I had a 860m on a Lenovo that was plenty powerful. I think the point was even the 860 is significantly better than the 950, but at that low price point it's a good bargain.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The 1050 is supposed to be roughly on par with the desktop 960. If Dell puts the 1040 or 1050 in the XPS 15 I will be a very happy camper. Dell updated their XPS 13 (Which isn't avalible with a GPU) a couple of days ago with kaby trail, but hasn't announced their sister laptop the XPS 15 (which has a GPU option) yet hmm wonder why.

The main holdup for the XPS15 refresh will be the kaby quads I reckon, which is Q1 2017.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The product page for the Alienware 13 with a 1060 is up, though no link to look at configurations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The main holdup for the XPS15 refresh will be the kaby quads I reckon, which is Q1 2017.

As much as it pains me to say it after years of chiding people to not use a laptop as a desktop replacement, I think that the next XPS 15 with the quad i7 and the GPU is going to replace my desktop once and for all.

I partly blame my tiny tiny SF apartment for at least part of the reason, also partly because it will be 3-4x more powerful than my i5-750 desktop.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop, and I don't need much. The most intensive thing I'll do will be spreadsheets and tabletop simulator. I'd like something with a SSD and have been looking at the ThinkPad T460. Are the ThinkPads still reliable quality machines? Is a T460 overkill for my needs? The X260 also looks nice and is a bit cheaper.

The T-series Thinkpads are still good and you could go with a previous-generation one (e.g. 450, 440, etc.) for your needs. If not for Tabletop Simulator (which I can't believe is a thing and had to Google) you'd be fine with a Chromebook.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've had the Y410p for over 3 years and finally I'm ready to give it up. Both hinges are basically broken, the rest of the case is in rough shape, and the screen is cracked. Could probably fix the screen but not sure if there's any point in trying to rehabilitate the rest (unless I'm wrong?). It cost me $800 and was carried around the world a few times and still does decently with newer games. Not bad at all, but yeah, wasn't expecting the case to last any longer than that

OP seems semi-updated, thought I'd check if it's up to date. What's the current hotness on small-ish "gaming" laptops? I loved the Y410p, very happy with a 14" screen, the weight really wasn't bad at all, and 4 hours of battery life is fine for most trips that I'm taking. Has the GTX 1060m taken the small gaming laptop world by storm yet or is that coming this winter/spring?

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I will most often be running statistical packages (STATA, R, SAS, etc.) with occasional online gaming. I most recently had an Asus ROG G series and enjoyed it. Any suggestions?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I've had the Y410p for over 3 years and finally I'm ready to give it up. Both hinges are basically broken, the rest of the case is in rough shape, and the screen is cracked. Could probably fix the screen but not sure if there's any point in trying to rehabilitate the rest (unless I'm wrong?). It cost me $800 and was carried around the world a few times and still does decently with newer games. Not bad at all, but yeah, wasn't expecting the case to last any longer than that

OP seems semi-updated, thought I'd check if it's up to date. What's the current hotness on small-ish "gaming" laptops? I loved the Y410p, very happy with a 14" screen, the weight really wasn't bad at all, and 4 hours of battery life is fine for most trips that I'm taking. Has the GTX 1060m taken the small gaming laptop world by storm yet or is that coming this winter/spring?

Sounds like a 1060 laptop is right up your alley. I've yet to see a 1060 in a laptop under $1280 USD however, and at those prices they tend towards the bulkier side of the spectrum.

Not that the y410p wasn't a bulky laptop - I remember my year with that laptop before it was replaced by the Y50.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 13, 2016

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

MSI and Asus have some slimmer 1060s, and I know MSI has one model that's 14". I'd be a little concerned about heat on a laptop that thin with a high end GPU in it, but maybe it's not much of a problem with the 1060. (I've heard it's pretty bad with the 1070, though.)

cpranger, the updated ROG line is basically last year's line with some updates to get the new GPUs in. If you liked your previous one, then I don't imagine you'd have issues with the new ones. (I'm looking at the GL502VM; it seems relatively thin and light for having a 1060 in it, but I think I might just go with a Sager to save a few bucks on the same specs.)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CellBlock posted:

MSI and Asus have some slimmer 1060s, and I know MSI has one model that's 14". I'd be a little concerned about heat on a laptop that thin with a high end GPU in it, but maybe it's not much of a problem with the 1060. (I've heard it's pretty bad with the 1070, though.)

cpranger, the updated ROG line is basically last year's line with some updates to get the new GPUs in. If you liked your previous one, then I don't imagine you'd have issues with the new ones. (I'm looking at the GL502VM; it seems relatively thin and light for having a 1060 in it, but I think I might just go with a Sager to save a few bucks on the same specs.)

The 14inch, the GS43vr, throttles a lot, and also the heatpipes run right on top of the wifi chip and HDMI port which seems like a busted wifi chip waiting to happen 1 month outside of warranty.

The 15 incher, the thin GS63vr, is much cooler owing to three fans, and doesn't throttle unless in extreme cases, but there the heatpipe runs over the PCH chip. PCH reported temps aren't bad so maybe there's a thermal pad between the two, so perhaps my worry is unwarranted.

The 15 inch Asus with the 1060, the GL502VM, is very very cool, but it's not very thin and its got a bigger footprint overall and is heavier.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The 14inch, the GS43vr, throttles a lot, and also the heatpipes run right on top of the wifi chip and HDMI port which seems like a busted wifi chip waiting to happen 1 month outside of warranty.

The 15 incher, the thin GS63vr, is much cooler owing to three fans, and doesn't throttle unless in extreme cases, but there the heatpipe runs over the PCH chip. PCH reported temps aren't bad so maybe there's a thermal pad between the two, so perhaps my worry is unwarranted.

The 15 inch Asus with the 1060, the GL502VM, is very very cool, but it's not very thin and its got a bigger footprint overall and is heavier.

Any thoughts on the Sager 8152-s (Clevo rebadge)? Looking around it seems a bit thicker/heavier but more substantial cooling than the Asus/MSI. The Asus/MSI build quality seems decent enough, I checked them out at Fry's today, but obviously they didn't have any Clevo laptops to compare. The Asus does look like a 14 year old 2edgy4u gamer kid designed it, though.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'm looking for a new laptop to do some (web) development work on - preferably running Windows primarily, but where I can create a new partition for Linux as well. Additionally I'd use it for watching videos (but these I have on external drive). As such, I'd like a device that is capable of running a web server (throughput testing will be done elsewhere and is not something I'm worried about - this will be only for dev purposes), fairly big screen and non-detachable keyboard.

Can anybody please offer any recommendations?

vvv within £500. I'd rather not go with Lenovo as handling of Superfish left a sour taste in my mouth.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 15, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any 15" laptop would do that, what are you looking to spend? I'd go with a Lenovo T560 or 15" Dell Latitude

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
My 3 year old Chromebook running GalliumOS is definitely not cutting it anymore.. so, I'm looking for a light, 11-to-13" laptop that is powerful enough to do VMware virtualization, but I'm working on a student loan budget.. usb-c would be a plus. Any deep discounts for college students on Acers? because the new Swift is looking tempting..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How did you like GalliumOS? That's the first time I've heard of that os

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Hadlock posted:

How did you like GalliumOS? That's the first time I've heard of that os

If you have a chromebook and need to run linux on it, it seems like the best and easiest choice. I have the hd partitioned so I can choose to boot to Gallium or Chrome, but I have literally never gone back to chrome since.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I very much like my T460S. I even like the new TP keyboard and touchpad. Wonderful, just wonderful.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anti-Bunny posted:

If you have a chromebook and need to run linux on it, it seems like the best and easiest choice. I have the hd partitioned so I can choose to boot to Gallium or Chrome, but I have literally never gone back to chrome since.

Does Gallium support docker at all? My only complaint about Chrome OS and Crouton is that Chrome OS has all the Docker kernel extensions turned off which renders it totally useless for my needs

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'm in the market for a 1060 laptop in the near future. The size isn't going to be to much of a concern since I'm mostly going to be using it as a desktop replacement since I'm not going to be living in the same place for more than a few months at a time for the foreseeable future. Would this Asus be my best bet or are there other manufacturers that you guys would recommend?

Can we expect significant sales around cyber monday? I have $1500 to spend, but wouldn't mind saving some cash.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Does Gallium support docker at all? My only complaint about Chrome OS and Crouton is that Chrome OS has all the Docker kernel extensions turned off which renders it totally useless for my needs

Docker works just fine on GalliumOS for me. Just use the Ubuntu 16.04 setup instructions.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Any thoughts on the Sager 8152-s (Clevo rebadge)? Looking around it seems a bit thicker/heavier but more substantial cooling than the Asus/MSI. The Asus/MSI build quality seems decent enough, I checked them out at Fry's today, but obviously they didn't have any Clevo laptops to compare. The Asus does look like a 14 year old 2edgy4u gamer kid designed it, though.

If you're talking about the Clevo p650 with the 1060, then yeah it's a bit bigger in footprint and thicker at 0.98 inches. I've heard it's actually noisier than the Asus GL502VM but that it is cool and does not suffer from throttling. You can also get an unlocked processor with it to overclock which, if you're doing something CPU heavy but not GPU heavy, would be a nice bonus.

If you mean the Clevo with the GTX 1070, then that is even thicker but I think other than the added thickness, you're getting a similar experience. So cool, no throttling, overclockable processor as a choice.

Yeah I agree on the design of the Asus, it's not screaming "buy me now".

purkey posted:

I'm in the market for a 1060 laptop in the near future. The size isn't going to be to much of a concern since I'm mostly going to be using it as a desktop replacement since I'm not going to be living in the same place for more than a few months at a time for the foreseeable future. Would this Asus be my best bet or are there other manufacturers that you guys would recommend?

Can we expect significant sales around cyber monday? I have $1500 to spend, but wouldn't mind saving some cash.

If you're not worried about the size, I'd give the Clevo p650 a look. It's rebranded to Sager, EVOC, etc. You have more customization is the reason why I suggest it (for example, unlocked processor, more storage options, faster RAM, replace HDD to SSD, etc.).

From everything I've heard, the Asus GL502VM is a fine laptop, though, that does not suffer from throttling like a bunch of the other 1060 laptops do. You're stuck with the non-unlocked processor so no overclocking, but if that is not a big deal then fine.

You'll want to look at screen comparisons if you do any kind of graphics work and I can't speak to that as I really don't know anything about it.

Just note the Clevo P650 is louder than the Asus as the fans ramp up much higher. The Asus seems to be able to cool well and stay relatively quiet.

ETA: You could also give the MSI Ge62vr or Gt62vr a look. Both are fat, but if size is not an issue, both are also quiet and cool.

ETA2: It seems on NBR that some people are getting very hot Asus GL502VMs. It's not many, and probably suggests shoddy paste jobs.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Piggy backing on that is the MSI GT62VR another good option? Been looking between that and the clevo/sager with the 1060.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
So are there opinions on the Acer Swift 3 (14" i5-6200U, 8GB ram, 3 lbs)? Probably wait until it drops to $600, at least? I have a gaming desktop, so this isn't a daily driver, it's more for lab work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anti-Bunny posted:

So are there opinions on the Acer Swift 3 (14" i5-6200U, 8GB ram, 3 lbs)? Probably wait until it drops to $600, at least? I have a gaming desktop, so this isn't a daily driver, it's more for lab work.

They are 599 at Amazon right now

http://slickdeals.net/?pno=228591&lno=2&trd=Amazon&sdfib=1&afsrc=1&mon=1&ref=1

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Probably should have asked earlier, but it'll be on its way soon:

17.3" FHD 1920 x 1080 IPS WVA Matte 60Hz LED with G-Sync
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM with G-Sync
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
16GB DDR4 2400MHZ (1 x 16GB)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD
Intel 3165 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT (up to 433 Mbps)
No Optical Disc Drive - Optional Upgrade
Win 10 Home 64BIT License & Media - Installed & Ready-Out-Of-The-Box

Coming in converted around $1761.06 USD at the moment delivered. Going to throw in a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB SSD in there also in a month or two. How did I do?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
17.3 is yooooooooge (is it supposed to be a mobile desktop rather than be used on the go?) and does it have a 2nd m.2 slot since you already have 1 m.2 ssd?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Reb posted:

Probably should have asked earlier, but it'll be on its way soon:

17.3" FHD 1920 x 1080 IPS WVA Matte 60Hz LED with G-Sync
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM with G-Sync
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
16GB DDR4 2400MHZ (1 x 16GB)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD
Intel 3165 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT (up to 433 Mbps)
No Optical Disc Drive - Optional Upgrade
Win 10 Home 64BIT License & Media - Installed & Ready-Out-Of-The-Box

Coming in converted around $1761.06 USD at the moment delivered. Going to throw in a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB SSD in there also in a month or two. How did I do?

Not bad, depending on build quality. Though you could have gotten a laptop with a 1070 at that price.

Echoing that 17 inches is Ridiculously large.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you mostly use your laptop around your house instead of having a desktop then 17" is great. I like not being restricted to using it at a desk. I took mine to classes sometimes too. The only real issue was that it's basically impossible to use on a plane.

I guess other issue is that most of them are low-end laptops with a flimsy build (like mine) or bulky, heavy gaming laptops.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
So are most 15" laptops, though, particularly in coach. This is different than even 10 years ago. I have trouble using a 12.5" Latitude in coach, and I'm not really a big guy.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How's the surface 3 for mostly tablet use with some use as a note taking (typing with type cover) use? Non pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How's the surface 3 for mostly tablet use with some use as a note taking (typing with type cover) use? Non pro

Surface 3 is being discontinued. It's OK for note taking but isn't that great at being a tablet.