Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
That series seems neat. Looks like there are no print editions in English, is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There were rumors of it getting licensed but it has not yet been licensed, no, so I linked to a place where you can read scanlations instead.

have some more

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Captain Invictus posted:

The Delicious Dungeon(Dungeon Meshi) is easily in my top 5 manga and it's the sign of an unjust world that tripe like Kantai Collection or Oreimo are so successful while one of the most charming, well-written series ever has only a few hundred pieces of fanart, and most of them are pretty awful. The series is based around a poor group of adventurers trying to rescue one of their members at the bottom of a dungeon, and eat the denizens of the dungeon(complete with proper and detailed cooking preparations for things such as Kelpies, Mandrakes, Krakens, Basilisks and more) on their journey down. It's shockingly good and I hope it continues on for a long time.

Thanks for posting about this! I love cooking. Toriko kind of bored me and Food Wars turned out to be pretty much everything I hate about Japan, but I just started reading this now and it's really cute.
I'm reminded of the notes made by Louie in Pikmin 2. Where Olimar took notes documenting the various monsters ecology and behavior, Louie came up with recipes for all of them :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It starts out simple and cute enough but quickly heaps on a whole lot of great worldbuilding, about the environments of the dungeon, the business of dungeon-diving, etc. And boy does it ever make me ravenous for food I will never be able to eat

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't know anything about it, so I went digging

...He seems into it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Laius wants to eat absolutely everything he possibly can in the dungeon, he loves it. Chilchac and Marcille, not so much. They usually come around on it though because Senshi is such a good cook.

and now, some actual fanart

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have trouble reading Dungeon Meshi because every few chapters I need to go get something to east :shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Phone posting right now but could I make a request for images paying homage to the Akira bike slide scene?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

...He seems into it.

At some point, that quest stop being about saving his sister and more about eating EVERYTHING. The exact point is a bit fuzzy though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Captain Invictus posted:

The Delicious Dungeon(Dungeon Meshi) is easily in my top 5 manga and it's the sign of an unjust world that tripe like Kantai Collection or Oreimo are so successful while one of the most charming, well-written series ever has only a few hundred pieces of fanart, and most of them are pretty awful. The series is based around a poor group of adventurers trying to rescue one of their members at the bottom of a dungeon, and eat the denizens of the dungeon(complete with proper and detailed cooking preparations for things such as Kelpies, Mandrakes, Krakens, Basilisks and more) on their journey down. It's shockingly good and I hope it continues on for a long time.

Thanks to the Webcomics thread I ended up getting a link to this. Yes, it is very good. Yes, every piece of food is drawn in loving detail that makes you incredibly hungry and, yes, you should be reading it.

The worldbuilding is good, too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So it's like me playing Nethack and eating the corpse of every monster I kill.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The MSJ posted:

So it's like me playing Nethack and eating the corpse of every monster I kill.

Except you cook them all and mix the various ingredients instead of eating everything raw before choking to death.

Anyway, I suppose I should contribute some fan art, especially of food since it's twenty minutes before lunch for me. Have you ever wanted tiny people standing on your food? Japan has you covered.

Not fan art, but I figure I'd just say, this IS NOT a photo:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Why is generic D&D style underground labyrinth dungeon crawl the hot new anime genre? It's so boring and derivative.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why is generic D&D style underground labyrinth dungeon crawl the hot new anime genre? It's so boring and derivative.

Same reason why "rogue-lite" became a stupidly popular game genre (design idiom might be a more accurate term) once you build the system/world to sufficient complexity, the action basically writes itself. Except instead of procedural generation via pseudorandom numbers you shove the entirety of tvtropes down a garbage disposal, filter out the sludge and then spray whatever is left on the wall and call it literature.

shrooms

evil

brew

poo poo

silentsnack has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

It's not. Generic anime fantasy MMORPG world is, though. D&D styled fantasy stuff is actually pretty uncommon.

If you're calling Dungeon Meshi generic underground labyrinth dungeon crawl well lol you're an idiot

these are mario parodies of a goofy vocaloid video called "popipo" which the original video of has seemingly been scrubbed from the entire internet.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Oct 17, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're calling Dungeon Meshi generic underground labyrinth dungeon crawl well lol you're an idiot

this is why nobody likes you

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

spit on my clit posted:

I mean, that's true, but he's right in this case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah okay weird guy who's been taking snipes at me for the last like hundred pages.

Refried Hero posted:

he's right in this case.
I'm always right.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Oct 17, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah okay weird guy who's been taking snipes at me for the last like hundred pages.

lol

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I Killed GBS posted:

its the simmering grudges between posters that really make the fanart thread special

@Invictus: Where did you find the transforming soda robot? Reverse google image search doesn't work well with animated stuff and it's too nice looking to not see that person's other works.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The formula is already written for you so you don't have to do any thinking when you write it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
somebody naysaying my favorite manga?? they must be an idiot, i shall call them out for it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

things can be done in a generic setting and not be new and original but still be done well and enjoyed for that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramos posted:

@Invictus: Where did you find the transforming soda robot? Reverse google image search doesn't work well with animated stuff and it's too nice looking to not see that person's other works.
It was on tumblr, they did it for a commission for Coca-Cola, but unfortunately I don't have their tumblr anymore.

spit on my clit posted:

somebody naysaying my favorite manga?? they must be an idiot, i shall call them out for it!
Yes, judging something without reading it is an idiotic thing to do!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

It was on tumblr, they did it for a commission for Coca-Cola, but unfortunately I don't have their tumblr anymore.

Yes, judging something without reading it is an idiotic thing to do!

yeah yeah yeah, but hey, this is pretty good stuff you're posting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

spit on my clit posted:

yeah yeah yeah, but hey, this is pretty good stuff you're posting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Tau would not still be using the XV-15 stealthsuit after the full implementation of the XV-25 due to the capture of a fully functioning helmet of the former by the Imperium of Man causing it's stealth capabilities to become compromised.
:goonsay::goonsay::goonsay:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Can we ban posting non-request words in this thread

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've posted at least a chunk of these before but they're cool so screw it have the full run, Protski is a cool artist.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Invictus posted:

:ironicat:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not. Generic anime fantasy MMORPG world is, though. D&D styled fantasy stuff is actually pretty uncommon.

I haven't read that one and do not care about it on any level but there are tonnes of animes in incredibly generic dungeon crawl settings lately.

RareAcumen posted:

things can be done in a generic setting and not be new and original but still be done well and enjoyed for that

I've read one that I've kinda liked (that apparently gets much worse later on) and tried to read a bunch that were just incredibly boring on every level.

I'd also like to preemptively apologize to Literally A Bird

Are images hosted on tumblr not showing up for anyone else?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i love this except for how the artist draws an E

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I haven't read that one and do not care about it on any level but there are tonnes of animes in incredibly generic dungeon crawl settings lately.

I've read one that I've kinda liked (that apparently gets much worse later on) and tried to read a bunch that were just incredibly boring on every level.
Which? Some examples would be nice. And what's the one that gets much worse?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Phone posting right now but could I make a request for images paying homage to the Akira bike slide scene?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
loving amazing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

This post is OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It is my sincere hope that I never grow to understand EYE Divine Cybermancy

• Locked thread