Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Grapplejack posted:

PC, but i'm really early on my first playthrough and just killed Vordt. Maybe i'm underlevelled and that's why i'm not seeing signs?
Levels 1 through about 30 should show up in Undead Settlement no problem. Is cross-region matchmaking on or off (might be that wherever you are isn't busy right now and you're not getting summons outside your geographical area)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Did you upgrade your weapon too much?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've been playing this game for 3 days and haven't reached a single branch! No options at all! This is a huge problem and I don't know why I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Atreiden posted:

Agreed. There was so many improvements in DS2 that they have just ignored. It really feels like a regression in some parts. Not tha DS2 was perfect, soul memory was terrible and the new lvl + weapon lvl system is far better.

DS2 was the best game of the series, mic drop.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

What does her becoming a fire keeper do? Any interesting conversations?

no

here's the single line she says in kind of an entranced voice or somethin' idk:
'dear champion of ash,
let souls be your strength'

the end

boring

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Your Computer posted:

Also, this patch is giving me flashbacks of the DS3 launch:

Any tips?
If it's still sitting there, you need to free up more disk space.

It only downloads 89 MB but it needs enough room for a second copy of the 11 GB file it's patching

Polo-Rican posted:

I've been playing this game for 3 days and haven't reached a single branch! No options at all! This is a huge problem and I don't know why I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
You probably skipped the first branch in High Wall because of trigger conditions. The second one is in Road of Sacrifices.

Threep fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 28, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Polo-Rican posted:

We've all agreed that its fine actually

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

I've complained heartily about it, as well. I like mucking around with PVP builds, but repeated playthroughs are tedious and dull given the game's linearity.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I dislike progressing and love pvping so much I'm 4 characters and combined maybe 180-200 levels in and I've never climbed the ladder after killing dancer lol

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Another effect of the "poise doesn't affect staggering in roll recovery frames but equip load does" discovery: now there's even less reason to stay below 69% equip load. Sure, you get more horizontal movement on your roll the lower you go, but your roll is probably better in a practical sense with higher equip load because you won't get staggered if you slightly mistime it.

Add to this some math from Reddit where someone found out that increasing your Vigor instead of increasing your Vitality to wear heavier armor is dramatically better for survivability and you wonder why heavy armor exists at all. https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gu0be/psa_it_is_better_to_have_more_health_than_more/

Let's hear it for Vitality, the worst stat since Resistance :golfclap:

That really only applies to earlier levels when VGR gives loads of HP. How does it work out once you hit 27 VGR, which is all around a very easy threshold for any character to hit. VGR at low levels is better than absorption? Yeah cool. Got not problems with that. How do things unfold when a character is beyond SL30?

vv oh god dammit, I don't know how I glossed over the part that literally addressed exactly what I was saying

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

How far are you? The progression goes like this:

High Wall of Lothric -> Undead Settlement -> Road of Sacrifices -> Crucifixion Woods -> branch to either Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep -> Catacombs of Carthus but you eventually need to do both -> Irithyll of the Boreal Valley which branches to either Irithyll Dungeon or Anor Londo, eventually you need to do both -> Lothric Castle, branches into either Grand Archives (which is the last major area of the main path) or an optional area.

That optional area, Consumed King's Garden, leads to another optional area (Untended Graves) and also contains a gesture that opens up a third optional area (Archdragon Peak) that you can access from Irithyll Dungeon.

If you're in either the Cathedral or Farron Keep and you haven't reached a branch, you missed one of the paths.

That said, it is significantly more linear than DS1 or 2, but less linear than Bloodborne.

Kiggles posted:

That really only applies to earlier levels when VGR gives loads of HP. How does it work out once you hit 27 VGR, which is all around a very easy threshold for any character to hit. VGR at low levels is better than absorption? Yeah cool. Got not problems with that. How do things unfold when a character is beyond SL30?

The math in that Reddit post applies all the way up to either 52 Vigor or getting 52 Vitality to wear Havel's set and still roll. I guess you could get both if you don't have any other stats? 52 Vigor with light armor is significantly better than 52 Vitality to wear Havel's, point-for-point. Maybe there's some sweet spot in the middle but if you're just looking for "I want to put 10 SLs somewhere to increase my survivability" Vigor is going to be the best choice all the way to at least 50.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Threep posted:

If it's still sitting there, you need to free up more disk space.

It only downloads 89 MB but it needs enough room for a second copy of the 11 GB file it's patching

:wtc:

You were totally right.

e: thanks

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vermain posted:

I've complained heartily about it, as well. I like mucking around with PVP builds, but repeated playthroughs are tedious and dull given the game's linearity.

I wouldn't say it's terrible and game-ruining, but it probably does damage long term interest in the game. The Irithyll magic barrier and the locked Archives door should really just be removed from the game. I can't really think of any negative effects from that, and the positives of allowing you to make a mad dash at low level to go pick up your favorite gear would far outweigh them anyway. Failing that, at least some of the gear should be moved around to be accessible from the start. Especially things locked behind the archives door. There's no sense to putting anything useful in an area that's locked until the game is 90% done. It really feels like some of this item placement was done early on before the route had been locked down, and then wasn't given a final pass before the game was released.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

:wtc:

You were totally right.

The reasoning behind it is fairly sound I guess, that's just the way some steam games do updates. For some games it's easier to download a second copy of the updated files, then delete the previous version and put them in place, than it is to edit the files that already exist.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Another day, another two bosses go down. Oceiros turned out to be a disappointment - seen his second phase talked up somewhere as very agressive but he ended up being Vordt v2.0. Champion Gundyr on the other hand was a tense, close fight. The man judged me once, now he came back to school me it seems.

Also noticed that Dark Souls 3 turned one thing on it's head, at least for me. Used to be Silver Knights were lite version of Black Knights, now it feels like this got reversed. Bizzare feeling.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Babe Magnet posted:

just got matched up against a dude in the level 55 range who:

-was wearing full smough and wielding the FUGS but not fatrolling
-could swing the fugs 6 times in one combo
-only needed three of those to connect to kill me
-had access to fire frisbee and black snake
-STILL estus'd in the middle of our duel

That's some dedication to getting NG++ rings.
Even with +2 havel ring, +2 favor ring, and prisoner's chain I still can't figure out how you'd have enough vitality and endurance to be able to get all of that poo poo on at once and not be fatrolling, along with enough strength to actually use the FUGS.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 28, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

I wouldn't say it's terrible and game-ruining, but it probably does damage long term interest in the game. The Irithyll magic barrier and the locked Archives door should really just be removed from the game.

Even if I would have to beat the Dancer legit at level SL 10 or w/e I would still do it every time to get fun gimmick runs going if this was the case. There is a huge amount of fun stuff behind those "but thou must" barriers and the game would be better without 'em.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I wouldn't say it's terrible and game-ruining, but it probably does damage long term interest in the game. The Irithyll magic barrier and the locked Archives door should really just be removed from the game. I can't really think of any negative effects from that, and the positives of allowing you to make a mad dash at low level to go pick up your favorite gear would far outweigh them anyway. Failing that, at least some of the gear should be moved around to be accessible from the start. Especially things locked behind the archives door. There's no sense to putting anything useful in an area that's locked until the game is 90% done. It really feels like some of this item placement was done early on before the route had been locked down, and then wasn't given a final pass before the game was released.

Removing the Irithyll barrier would make Cathedral of the Deep a 100% optional area, because the only reason you need to go there is to get the doll to get into Irithyll.

The Archives key should just be moved up to the Twin Princes' boss door, honestly. No reason not to let the player access the Archives area. I can see why they'd want the Twin Princes to be the last Lord boss you fight, but you can achieve that by moving the locked door later in the level and still letting players who were badass enough/summoned a badass enough glitched NPC to beat the Dancer early have some fun.

It's not like it even really prevents you from accomplishing anything gamebreaking. If you beat the Dancer early there are enough Titanite Chunks and farmable Large Shards available in Lothric Castle alone to get you a +9 weapon hilariously early, so it's not like they were gating that by locking the Archives.

Your Computer posted:

Even if I would have to beat the Dancer legit at level SL 10 or w/e I would still do it every time to get fun gimmick runs going if this was the case. There is a huge amount of fun stuff behind those "but thou must" barriers and the game would be better without 'em.

And really, beating the Dancer early is no crazier than beating Four Kings early to be a low-level Darkwraith in DS1.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Fuzz posted:

More people need to start using the Black Blade. The argument that it's a crappier Washing Pole are folly - it ends up with more base damage, its attacks use slightly less stamina and FP (1 extra 1hand attack at 30 End), it has automatic quality scaling, it's faster, and it has a better moveset by far. It's like a way more badassy Uchi.

The one handed R2 is goddamn amazing because it's super quick and you also do a little hop forward which can surprise the poo poo out of people and catch them off guard. The two handed R2 has loving hilarious auto tracking on it so if someone is foolish enough to try to roll sideways you can slam their loving face into the ground, and yes, it counts as a slam attack if you charge it enough and their poise isn't high enough.

Oh yeah, and it causes bleeding and doesn't even need to be infused because its damage is bonkers. And you can buff it. And using Hidden Weapon with the 1H R2 literally causes people to have seizures and flee in terror because they can't figure out what the gently caress.

Think it may be my new favorite PvP weapon. :allears:

All katanas swing at the same exact speed, as far as I can tell. The washing pole and black blade are both good weapons, but the only benefits to the black blade are lower stamina use, lower weight, and higher durability. The washing pole trades all that off for a substantial range benefit.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A bit back, but I actually found backing off and baiting the charge attack greatly helped me beat the Abyss watchers and the consumed king my first time, there was time to get off one or two swipes as they recovered then play defensive until the next charge, same with the crocodile beasts if I could dodge being eaten.

Yeah, you don't necessarily need to be in every boss's grill all the time, but learning what different spacing ranges trigger in different bosses, and learning how to exploit that, is big in learning how to beat them.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I appreciated that the best ending requires you to suck at least a little bit so you can die enough.

What's up with Irinia's questline btw? What does her becoming a fire keeper do? Any interesting conversations? I kind of forgot about her in my last run.

Never buy any dark miracles from her, but buy all light. at some point she will relocate to the bottom of the tower you buy a key for and be a firekeeper. When she does, she doesn't really ad any new interesting dialog, but you can level up there instead, if you want. There is no advantage to it. And you can't give her the firekeepers eyes. I haven't testet if you can give her the firekeeper soul.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Einwand posted:

That's some dedication to getting NG++ rings.
Even with +2 havel ring, +2 favor ring, and prisoner's chain I still can't figure out how you'd have enough vitality and endurance to be able to get all of that poo poo on at once and not be fatrolling, along with enough strength to actually use the FUGS.

I MIGHT be getting him confused with someone else RE: rolling, as I'm thinking back and I can't remember if he rolled at all actually, I'll check my recording in a sec

e: nope he wasn't fat rolling, what the gently caress is this guy

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Harrow posted:

How far are you? The progression goes like this:

High Wall of Lothric -> Undead Settlement -> Road of Sacrifices -> Crucifixion Woods -> branch to either Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep ->

I'm halfway through Road of Sacrifices. Kind of crazy they decided that one of the biggest strenghts of the souls series - the ability to discover and "sample" tons of zones, and decide for yourself when you're ready to tackle them - wasn't worth putting into this dark souls game

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i wish there was a great shield that had the weapon skill on that i can also infuse with simple infusion.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Harrow posted:

Removing the Irithyll barrier would make Cathedral of the Deep a 100% optional area, because the only reason you need to go there is to get the doll to get into Irithyll.

Good point, although it still wouldn't ruin the game to have another optional area, even if it's a big one. Plus I kind of wonder if the Cathedral is going to lead into one of the DLC areas. I don't have any good evidence for it, but it kind of feels like a deep-themed DLC would be a direction they might go, considering it's an entirely new idea just introduced in this game and not really explored much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm halfway through Road of Sacrifices. Kind of crazy they decided that one of the biggest strenghts of the souls series - the ability to discover and "sample" tons of zones, and decide for yourself when you're ready to tackle them - wasn't worth putting into this dark souls game

I think you're embellishing your own memory a bit because even in Dark Souls 2, the game with 4 totally disconnected branching paths, this wasn't the case.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Babe Magnet posted:

Remember how people say soul memory is bad?

Console or ps4?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BobTheJanitor posted:

Good point, although it still wouldn't ruin the game to have another optional area, even if it's a big one. Plus I kind of wonder if the Cathedral is going to lead into one of the DLC areas. I don't have any good evidence for it, but it kind of feels like a deep-themed DLC would be a direction they might go, considering it's an entirely new idea just introduced in this game and not really explored much.

I'm betting at least one dlc has the Abyss in it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

To be able to normal roll in all of that, you'd need over 130 weight limit accounting for 4 rings adding up to around 5 weight, good lord.
My first character has the +0 havel ring/favor ring and 29 vitality and I've only got 83.3 weight limit, maybe if they were just going under the "can move" thresh hold it'd be possible but still absurd.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I think you're embellishing your own memory a bit because even in Dark Souls 2, the game with 4 totally disconnected branching paths, this wasn't the case.

All I care about is that even "super linear :qq:" DS2 let me jump down a well, run to the Gulch, cheese some giants and go straight to the DLC to get the Puzzling Stone Sword early for a gimmick run.

That's the kind of stuff DS3 just won't let you do, all the fun gimmick stuff is locked behind 3/4 of the game. It's not much of a gimmick run if the only boss you get to use the gimmick on is the last boss :geno:

DS3 still loving awesome game though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm making a webm of it now, loving hell.

I'm not even mad, that's some dedication to the gimmick of being a complete motherfucker.

Tenzarin posted:

Console or ps4?

I take it you mean console or PC, and I'm PC, but I don't think he was hacking, since there's a lot easier ways to kill low level pvpers than doing all that lol

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

is 6 swings with fugs even possible lmao
how many fuckin points of endurance would you need to invest to be able to do that

also chaos bed vestiges is a 20 int 10 faith req spell so extra what

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, you're about where the first branch is.

I guess all I'd say is that, in DS1, it's sort of like... going to New Londo early as a new player is just going to frustrate you, same with the Catacombs, and either way you're going to hit a roadblock pretty early (at least you get a boss first in the Catacombs). The game opens up a lot more if you take the Master Key, but if you don't that's all the nonlinearity you get until after Anor Londo. Very experienced players could run through the Catacombs and grab the Grave Lord Sword or meet the skeleton blacksmith and get Fire weapons, or use a super long-range weapon to kill Ingward and get to the Four Kings in New Londo early and become Darkwraiths.

Eventually you can run around in Darkroot and, if you farm/save up souls or kill Andre for some reason, you can fight Sif early, but I'd say that's about as much of a branch as DS3 offers around the same point in the progression.

Without the Master Key, as a new player, DS1 offers you two frustrating dead ends, or exactly one correct path: Undead Burg -> Undead Parish (you can go to Darkroot here if you want) -> back down to Lower Undead Burg with the key you got in the Parish -> Depths -> Blighttown -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo -> go tackle the lords in any order you want. With the Master Key you can entirely skip the Depths and 80% of Blighttown, which is nice, and hit up the Valley of Drakes early.

I don't remember enough of DS2's progression to really remember how nonlinear it was at the start. I remember I could go to Heide's or Forest of Fallen Giants first, and that any other path after that was blocked by either a Fragrant Branch of Yore (available much earlier in SOTFS, to be fair) or an NPC you meet in Heide's. Oh wait, or you could get the cat ring and jump down the well, I forgot about that.

I guess my point is that DS3 is more linear but, at least from a new player perspective, that's okay. There are a few frustrating roadblocks they put in for experienced players, though. You can access an endgame area extremely early but you're blocked after one boss for no reason I can really think of, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm betting at least one dlc has the Abyss in it.

Abyss/deep (either or if they're seperate) and something to do with the angels, who are NOT primordial serpents. Why would lothric build statues to creatures that go against their religion and have vaporized their army inside their armor?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'd love a Deep-themed DLC, especially if it's separate from the Abyss (lots of stuff about the deep sea in Deep-related lore).

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

It would be cool if the "dead end" branches actually connected to later parts of the game. Like you could get to Irithyll dungeon from Cathedral of the Deep.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CJacobs posted:

It was if you knew the paths, like you could go to the Heide's Tower of Flame or Forest of Fallen Giants. From the Forest of Fallen Giants you could then go to No-Man's Wharf through Heide's Tower of Flame or have the eagle take you to Lost Bastille.

In Lost Bastille you could join the bell bros, and protect that bell! You didn't have to protect it but you could protect it! Dark souls 2: choices!

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

And aside from the optional branch at the end, all of the branches are single side zones rather than proper branches. I'm real disappointed with this aspect of the game, and it's not going to age well at all if I do any further playthroughs.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fereydun posted:

is 6 swings with fugs even possible lmao
how many fuckin points of endurance would you need to invest to be able to do that

also chaos bed vestiges is a 20 int 10 faith req spell so extra what

Uninterrupted? No, not possible not even with 99 end and RoF+2.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone know how hard the Chaos Orb got nerfed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He clearly does in the video I'm about to upload.

If it's not possible to math that poo poo out, I guess I found my first hacker, and if that's the case, why you invading in the level 55/+6 upgrade range, my man