Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

also hit twice as hard.

Is this a bonus or a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this a bonus or a problem?

It kinda depends on the situation. They're also only half as hot.

I'm so, so, so sorry.

Another brilliant scenario, PTN. You continue to make my life slightly less stressful when I come home from work and read me some hot battletech action.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The enemies are too intact to likely get in the 1-2 turns before they go offboard. Maybe look around a bit for P. Masters?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Centurium posted:

It kinda depends on the situation. They're also only half as hot.

I'm so, so, so sorry.

Another brilliant scenario, PTN. You continue to make my life slightly less stressful when I come home from work and read me some hot battletech action.

Well, if that free MechWarrior game taught me anything they also cost twice as much!

... annnnnnnnd prostitution jokes. Wonderful. I'll just go try and clean the skeevy off myself.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
We came here to save the Janos Marik and we've now saved the Janos Marik so I vote for taking the victory and absconding with the ship. These guys are fleeing anyway and I'm not one for blasting someone who's running in the back (even if the Urbanmech is technically facing us). If we can we should also grab our errant pilot if he's still alive and maybe salvage some damaged but repairable mechs if we have the equipment/time (honestly the Stalker is probably in better shape than my Ostroc aside from the cockpit).

This was quite a lot of fun, I may have to dig further into Battletech some time. Thanks for running it PTN.

e: vvvvvv If I was in PTN's position I wouldn't answer that question and because of that I'm not going to ask him. How are we supposed to magically know ahead of time what the Capellans will do as they run away? We can't just ask "What are all the consequences of this action?" for everything we do.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 17, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd encourage the players to confirm with PTN that there are no behind the scenes penalties for letting the two enemies escape.

If it's functionally just that PTN accepts victory is yours and it works out the same as if you had killed everything, take the victory. If it's "you won the mission, but *horrible thing happened here* because you let the two crippled mechs escape", fight on.

They're Capellan 'mechs afterall. They could still walk through an orphanage and kick down a hospital on the way out of the area just to spite you maintain S.O.P.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, as Paul Masters, I feel obligated to let them leave.

I also want to take a moment to yell ROLLING THUNDER!!!! And also to say gently caress you to that Bombardier. He's the luckiest rear end in a top hat ever with those goddamn LRM-20s.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Take the win, your battlemechs are in pretty bad shape and you have downed personnel to look for as well as securing the ship for retrieval. There isn't enough time, barring lucky shots, to take out both of the fleeing mechs before they reach the border of the map, it would be a waste of time to pursue them.

Take the win.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
A win is a win. I definitely suggest allowing them to retreat. Pursuing will only get the Gladiator crippled. Onto the next scenario.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 17, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, before I head off to work for the Saturday shift, I'd like to drop some pre-emptive votes:

Goonlance MVP: The Ostroc
He did a thankless job, running troubleshooter and asking for advice since his role as high-mobility run-and-gunner had to fill the hole that lucky Orion hit left, but he did his job well and kept the Goonlance in the game. And took out 3 'Mechs. Not bad for a total greenhorn. :cheers:

OpFor MVP: The Bombardier
Because :argh:

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah I don't mind moving to see the next scenario. Only one we might have a shot at killing is the Urbie and I don't think its worth the risk.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Keep fighting! I'm not ready to die horribly yet! :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Keep fighting! I'm not ready to die horribly yet! :ohdear:

:devil: Yorinaga Kurita hungers boy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I say you guys should take the victory. Your opponents are fleeing, you have badly damaged mechs, and Paul Masters is still MIA. Odds are still good that the Capellans are tied up fighting the rest of the FWL forces on-planet (if I'm remembering the mission background correctly), so I say Goonlance should get out of there while they still can, salvage or no.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I too vote for taking the win. Incidentally, thanks for taking the last couple turns for me, Defiance. Rather unlucky with the Bombardier, but the job got done!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

:devil: redacted hungers boy.

Might want to put some spoiler tags on that.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So that is all four players. I hope we still get a political update before we jump in to Luthien.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

So that is all four players. I hope we still get a political update before we jump in to Luthien.

I'm working on it.

Since things are over, we also need an MVP VOTE

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well, before I head off to work for the Saturday shift, I'd like to drop some pre-emptive votes:

Goonlance MVP: The Ostroc
He did a thankless job, running troubleshooter and asking for advice since his role as high-mobility run-and-gunner had to fill the hole that lucky Orion hit left, but he did his job well and kept the Goonlance in the game. And took out 3 'Mechs. Not bad for a total greenhorn. :cheers:

OpFor MVP: The Bombardier
Because :argh:

This pretty much sums up my MVP votes.

Edit:

OpFor Honorable Mention: The Awesome's Techs
That is NOT how you fix a hip actuator.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Rolling Thunder MVP: Ostroc
Lu Sann MVP: Bombardier
2nd Capellan MVP: Whitworth

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Well, in my opinion the votes are pretty easy here.

Rolling Thunder MVP: Corporal Janos Valens in the Ostroc OSR-2C

Capellan MVP: The Bombardier pilot.

That Bombardier could throw a lot of damage down on the players, virtually without being in any danger of retaliation, the only reason it went out of the game is the lack of staying firepower once it's depleted the missiles in the ammobins.

ActionZero got thrown into a cauldron in this game, what with our team losing the Orion early on, but managed to take out 3 'mechs. Very good performance for someone brand new to the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Taerkar posted:

OpFor Honorable Mention: The Awesome's Techs
That is NOT how you fix a hip actuator.

Duct tape is always the answer. :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Players: Ostroc
Enemies: Bombardier, although I was really pulling for that little gauss Urbanmech. Oddly pleased that these two escaped.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Honestly, for being in a trashcan with a howitzer attatchment, that Urbie survived a lot longer than I had expected it to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

They're Capellan 'mechs afterall. They could still walk through an orphanage and kick down a hospital on the way out of the area just to spite you maintain S.O.P.

If the Capellans are going to tapdance on some orphans, they'd do just fine without the help of the Bombarder and Urbanmech.

Most fights in Battletech end with one side withdrawing after a few exchanges of fire. This was actually a particularly bloody fight by non-game BattleTech terms.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Player MVP: Ostroc

Enemy MVP: Bombardier

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Rolling Thunder MVP: the Awesome. Without that lucky cockpit hit, the Stalker likely would have done severe damage to the majority of the remaining lance units, if it did not murder them all horribly instead.
honorable mention: The Ostroc. It is hard for me to determine which one should get MVP, but the Awesome edges out for me, if only barely.

Capellan MVP: The Bombardier. It unleashed a lot of pain in those last few rounds.
honorable (?) mention: The Whitworth. The LRM salvo that destroyed the Orion (props to the Bombardier as well for its critical hit ammo explosion on the Orion) I feel woke up goonlance a little.

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006
Goonlance MVP: Ostroc
OpFor MVP: Bombardier

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

landcollector posted:

honorable mention: The Ostroc. It is hard for me to determine which one should get MVP, but the Awesome edges out for me, if only barely.

One of those mechs still has a leg.

Goon MVP: Ostroc
Opfor MVP: Bombardier

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Opfor MVP is definitely the bombardier. That lucky son-of-a-gun not only singlehandedly dished out most of the pain goonlance took, it also managed to get away with merely a few scratches.

Goonlance MVP can go to the Awesome, because drat that headshot saved your bacon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Freedom, Part 2: Political Vote 8

A soft tremor shook the earth beneath her heels as Melissa Arthur Steiner, AKA the Red Corsair, crouched in near total darkness. The air around her was musty and water dripped down the back of her neck, but neither she nor her companions could risk activating a light. Their only light source came from a distant cavern, well lit, and filled with regiment upon regiment of pristine BattleMechs in the eggshell white cream of unassigned Star League `Mechs.

Morgan settled down behind her, and rubbed his eyes. “Definitely ComStar,” he grumbled quietly.

A heavier tremor shook the earth. Melissa glanced at the ceiling. “Earthquake?” she asked with quiet concern, then shook her head. “No—how long has it been? The Free Worlders have started shelling us, haven’t they?”

Morgan nodded, thoughtfully stroking his beard. “For all the good it’ll do them. I’d heard rumors that Helm had a Star League facility, but… I didn’t expect this.”

Melissa peered over the rocks at the milling ComGuards. “… It’s been over a month. Why are they even still here?”

“This is an intact Star League facility,” Dr. Banzai replied grimly. “They’re cataloguing everything they find. There may even be an intact Memory Core. If there is—”

“They’d want to copy it,” Melissa replied quietly. “drat. This is bad, Morgan.”

“An understatement, highness. We need the rest of First Regiment,” he paused for a moment, then gave the doctor a nod, “and the rest of Team Banzai.”

“You really think the Kell Hounds have a chance to blast ComStar out of here?”

Morgan nodded, “… But first, we’ll need to call them down; and tell them where to drop. And then we’ll need `Mechs. Fortunately,” he turned, peering over the cavernous Castle Brian, “I know where we can find some.”

Oozing heavy black smoke from the shattered remains of its boxy SRM-launcher, a Battlemaster strode purposefully into a hail of Inferno SRM fire. It clutched the shattered PPC in its right fist like a club, drew back, and smashed the useless weapon against an enemy Javelin’s left shoulder. The light `Mech staggered, and fell to one knee. The Battlemaster seized it by the top of the head and twisted, tearing the cockpit away with a shriek of tortured metal even as a Quickdraw rose into the air on jets of white-hot plasma. It sailed through the air towards the injured Battlemaster as the pilot moved his `Mech to attempt a Death from Above. Normally risky, the Battlemaster was badly overheating and the bulk of its dangerous weapons had been shot away.

A flight of LRMs caught the rising Quickdraw from the side, ripping open the thin armor over the `Mech’s left breast. Its left arm long-since lost shot away, the Dragon lifted its right arm with a contemptible precision and loosed with a light autocannon around which a long, serpentine dragon coiled directly into the breach in the Quickdraw’s armor. The `Mech tipped as its gyro skipped, then simply vanished as its LRM Ammo exploded. Its legs fell to the ferrocrete below amidst the shower of metal shrapnel that, until a moment before, had been the Quickdraw’s torso.

The Battlemaster turned, its blackened armor no longer showing the colors or emblems of the Davion heavy guards; brought its arsenal of medium lasers in line with the Sword of Light Dragon. The medium laser’s amber beams cored the rear armor of the Locust who’s machineguns were worrying at the Dragon’s internals like a rat gnawing at an open wound. The unexpected assault took the Locust by surprise, and the pilot punched out as the assault shot away the little scout `Mech’s engine shielding.

The Battlemaster’s joints locked as its own engine shut down, heat rising from the pitted and scorched armor in rippling waves. Less visibly damaged, but in equally dire straits with a fused hip and knee, the Dragon swiveled at the hips as it searched for its next target, its head scorched where its sensor systems had been shot away early in the fighting. The Battlemaster squealed in protest as the pilot overrode the engine and brought his tortured `Mech back on line.

Panting heavily in the sweltering heat of his cockpit, Prince Hanse Davion checked his own sensors, then toggled through his radio frequencies to get a feel for the battle’s continuing ebb and flow.

“That’s the last of them, Jannike-dono,” he broadcast quietly.

In her crippled Dragon, Jannike Kurita tried not to wince as the First Prince of the Federated Suns butchered her name. “You are too kind, Prince Davion,” she replied, sinking back into her command couch and letting her fingers slip from the controls. Her head was still pounding from the SRM that’d blown away her sensor suite. That contemptuous-looking shot she’d made against the descending Quickdraw had been lucky—and desperate. Though she was a skilled `Mechwarrior, without sensors her Dragon couldn’t lock on and her desperate manual control had been just that: an act of utter desperation.

“I never thought I’d see the day pirates would attack New Avalon so openly,” Hanse continued. He sounded neither tired nor upset. In the Draconis Combine, Jannike reflected, the traffic controllers responsible for letting a band of pirates land on Luthien would’ve been beheaded, their families made unproductive and sold into slavery. The Coordinator would see to it personally, yet Prince Davion seemed thrilled for an opportunity to test his skills in combat.

“I should not be surprised,” she mumbled in Japanese. Prince Davion’s blue eyes were perhaps only a slight shade darker than the Coordinator’s, or her father’s. They shared the same demeanor, and similar convictions. “He is a warrior, first of all. Not samurai of course, but if I am not careful, I may begin to admire this barbarian Prince.”

She laughed, quietly at first, then with growing conviction; her helmet microphone picking up and carrying the signal part-way through. Hanse Davion’s own pleasant laughter joined hers—and they were both still laughing a minute later when Arden Sortek’s battered Victor descended on roaring jets.

“Well,” Sortek broadcast in amused tones, “I’m glad to see you’re getting along. Perhaps there is some truth in the old Capellan curse: ‘may you live in interesting times.’”

“These certainly qualify,” Hanse replied with a chuckle. “I never thought I’d see the day I’d fight side by side with a member of the DCMS, either.”

Jannike quieted, straightened herself; reflected briefly on her decidedly un-Kuritan lapse. The irony, that she had perhaps saved the life of the greatest foe the Draconis Combine had ever known, was not lost on her. Nor, she suspected, was it lost on the Fox.

“I must admit,” Hanse continued, bringing his Battlemaster about, “I was concerned when Ambassador Kurita requested permission to remain and ‘negotiate—’”

“Ah,” Jannike replied with one of those non-committal sounds that resembled an affirmative in Japanese, “Kurita Chandrasekhar-sensei is reluctant to return with your gift, Prince Davion. It is not uncommon in the Draconis Combine to, ah—what’s the expression,” she paused, “‘Kill the messenger.’ Your acceptance has already been divined by the Coordinator, he is sure. He also wishes to make sure your gift survives the journey, lest its death dishonor him.”

“Regardless,” Ardan replied after a moment’s uncomfortable silence, “we’re thankful he was willing to loan us your assistance, er, Miss Jannike. Even in the Federated Suns, we wouldn’t expect a private citizen to risk a skilled bodyguard and an expensive piece of equipment for no gain.”

“I serve the Dragon,” she replied quietly. “Even if serving the Dragon requires me to protect a Yellow Bird.”

Hanse only laughed in reply.

Vote

“You should at least consider it, Galaxy Commander.”

Dusk rubbed her eyes in irritation, and gave her bondsman a pointed glare. Bondsman Caesar had proven invaluable, both in understanding the Lyran mind and their bizarre battle rituals, but he was impudent, irritating, frustrating, and as persistent as a hunting Steel Viper. She respected that, in her own way, but it did not make him any less irksome.

“That information was classified, bondsman. Where did you hear it?”

Caesar shrugged, then flashed what she suspected he believed was his most disarming smile. “That’s not important right now. What is important, is that for the first time since the fall of the Star League, Skye is free. The same Skye that remained loyal to the SLDF through the Amaris coup. The same Skye whose rebellion kept your ancestors fed, and sheltered them when Kerensky—”

“When we lost the battle of Terra,” Dusk’s eyes flashed with rage and shame, and Caesar’s mouth clamped shut. He knew that history was a sore spot for the Clans as a whole, and perhaps the Steel Vipers in particular. He waited silently for a few minutes while Dusk regained her composure.

“The Steel Vipers, as I have learned,” he looked his bondsmaster in the eyes, “believe that we should work with the great houses to bring about a new Star League, to restore peace to human space and usher in a new age of prosperity. We should open a dialogue with Skye! We can work with them, and think, by moving peacefully through their worlds the Steel Vipers could reach Terra long before—”

“Enough,” Dusk hissed, letting herself float free of her desk in her small shipboard office. As a Galaxy Commander, she was entitled to a far larger space, but she’d preferred the close, intimate confines of her old office. “What you ask is a breach of protocol that would infuriate the other Clans. There would be repercussions.”

“A breach of protocol—like the Goliath Scorpions’ allowing the Sea Foxes to garrison their conquered territories to keep their entire Touman on the front lines?”

Dusk scowled.

“I will consider your advice. Now, leave me.”

End Vote

The Free Trader Sumiyoshi Taisha lingered in silent space, her massive solar sail unfurled to collect power from the system’s distant primary as she sat at the standard Zenith jump point, waiting for her dropships to return from their profitable journey planetside. Her captain hoped, perhaps in vain, that his ship would not be contracted to haul troops to the front lines. A quiet, cautious man, he’d learned from his predecessor that hauling troops around was a recipe for disaster.

A massive surge of electromagnetic radiation washed over the Sumiyoshi Taisha, bathing it in a harmless shower of neutrinos as another ship prepared to jump into the system. No cause for alarm—until the neutrino shower didn’t end.

A dozen dark shapes filled the void around it, massive and foreboding. The nearest bore the flaming knight crest of Clan Hell’s Horses, a Cameron-class cruiser identified by its IFF as the Sleipnir. It was flanked by a pair of Lola III destroyers, the Red Night and Gold Night; the three ships forming the spearpoint of a massive invasion fleet totaling well over twenty vessels.

A massive McKenna-class Battleship, identifying itself as the SLDFS James McKenna appeared in tandem with five other vessels, their relative position so precise as to form a perfect pentagon. The James McKenna itself so close to the Sumiyoshi Taisha that the symbols on her hull could be seen with the unaided eye—a strange black bird clutching a shard of ice. Another five vessels appeared with similar precision. Then another.

The Sumiyoshi Taisha broadcast a warning, and was cut off nearly instantly when the James McKenna blew it in half with a Naval PPC. The other vessels lingering at the Zenith point were less fortunate, and received no opportunity to broadcast a warning.

The Hell’s Horses had come to Luthien, and they hadn’t come alone.

Political Vote 8 (Galaxy Commander Dusk):
1) Present Caesar’s advice to the Clan Council, support idea.
2) Present Caesar’s advice to the Clan Council, remain neutral.
3) Present Caesar’s advice to the Clan Council, work against the idea.
4) Ignore Caeser’s advice entirely.

And I still need MVPs

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 18, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

For the first time ever, I have no idea what to vote for.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I do. 1.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Freedom, Part 2: Political Vote 8

I'm voting for 1 not because I think it will work, but because I think it will end in Duchess Iris hiring a super-elite team of mercenary troubleshooters to extract Caesar. Only reason she hasn't is she thinks he's dead. Unless Reinhardt has already been born at this point, Iris really has no choice but to recover her only heir. With the Steiner family as it is right now, if Iris' line is depleted, the Steiner with the closest claim to the Grand Duchy of Furillo is Frederick, which would allow him to pull Furillo out of Skye and return it to the Commonwealth without firing a shot. Since that would be bad, she needs him back to put a baby in some woman and secure the planet for the future.

MVP: Ostroc. The Awesome is close but the Ost picked up the slack when I went down trying to draw fire off the Gladiator's back armor "because I did the math and I should, by odds, survive but he won't!" It was not my best plan.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
:suspense:

11111111111111!1111111!!1!!!exclamationpoint

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Felime posted:

:suspense:

11111111111111!1111111!!1!!!exclamationpoint

Something like this.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 The Steel Vipers will act honorably in this endeavor :911:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

If Goliath Scorpion and Hell's Horses and bringing friends to the party, then maybe Steel Viper should pick a dance partner too. And hey, if they're going to be assholes, then they can be assholes with the 'You started it' defence. 1

MVPs:
Ostroc: Three kills and putting out a bunch of fires.
Bombardier: Sometimes you bring an LRM-20 and you hit maybe a 6-8 missiles a shot. Sometimes you bring an LRM-20 and it hits like an LBX-20 all game...from halfway across the map in a goddamn thunderstorm.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Definitely voting 1, because I like the way he thinks.

Edit: also Snow Ravens, gently caress yeah.

Keru fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 17, 2011

• Locked thread