Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If anyone was waiting to update to Yosemite due to trim support for your SSD, Trim Enabler app was updated and has full compatibility:

http://www.cindori.org/status-of-trim-enabler-in-yosemite/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is iCloud Drive working for you guys? I can open it on my Mac, but it only shows four folders. On other devices I have 11 folders in it. The contents of the folders it actually shows look correct, but I can't seem to do anything to get it to actually show me all the folders.

(This is probably not strictly a Yosemite problem, here's what I see in iCloud Drive on my iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC, and iCloud.com:

(Maybe it's so broken as a result of using iOS and Yosemite betas and I should look for a big "Delete All iCloud Drive Data" button so I can just start fresh.

I can't open it through Finder. If I try to click "iCloud Drive" in the sidebar, nothing happens. If I try to open it via the "Go" menu or the keyboard shortcut, I get this error message:

It works through the apps, though, both on OS X and iOS.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you disabled and re-enabled it?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
iTunes won't open after updating to Yosemite. Score!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mest0r posted:

If anyone was waiting to update to Yosemite due to trim support for your SSD, Trim Enabler app was updated and has full compatibility:

Oh poo poo, I forgot to re-enable after updating. Thanks!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Xabi posted:

iTunes won't open after updating to Yosemite. Score!

I had this problem too. I went to Apple's website and downloaded it from there. After it installed I opened the App store and it took away the notification.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 2011 mini still has 2gb ram running Yosemite. I put a 128gb SSD in it. It's rarely running more than a web browser with a couple of tabs and it's working well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Agh is there any way to get all your folders Expandable/Collapsable in List view?

In Mavericks, all folders had little arrows and you could just tap Right Arrow key to expand them without having to open them.
Only random folders seem to be able to open now.

Also merging all your finder windows when you have iCloud drive working fucks the whole thing up.

Why did I upgrade to this :smithicide:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 18, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is iCloud Drive working for you guys? I can open it on my Mac, but it only shows four folders. On other devices I have 11 folders in it. The contents of the folders it actually shows look correct, but I can't seem to do anything to get it to actually show me all the folders.

(This is probably not strictly a Yosemite problem, here's what I see in iCloud Drive on my iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC, and iCloud.com:

(Maybe it's so broken as a result of using iOS and Yosemite betas and I should look for a big "Delete All iCloud Drive Data" button so I can just start fresh.

I think if you look inside those folders that you have on the PC but not OSX else you'll find they're empty. The PC iCloud shows them but OSX hides them until there's a file inside.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 18, 2014

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
That's a really weird way for it to behave. I tried putting a file in one of the folders that showed up on the PC but not the Mac to test, and sure enough that folder then showed up on the Mac with the file in it. That's... not at all how I expect a synchronized folder to work.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Agh is there any way to get all your folders Expandable/Collapsable in List view?

In Mavericks, all folders had little arrows and you could just tap Right Arrow key to expand them without having to open them.
Only random folders seem to be able to open now.

Also merging all your finder windows when you have iCloud drive working fucks the whole thing up.

Why did I upgrade to this :smithicide:
This seems to happen when you have 'Arrange By' set to anything other than 'none'. I don't know why, but it is annoying. You can still click the column headers to sort by that attribute at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

Do I need this on my apple default SSD?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

System Preferences > Notifications?

You could also fire up Spotlight and start typing "Notifica..."

Or click the gear at the bottom of the list of Notifications sidebar.

It's like you guys aren't even trying.

Maybe they need to RTFM :D

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

No, only if you have a third party drive.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

Seems like a pretty bad idea to disable these security features though.

quote:

To continue to use Trim Enabler and continue to get Trim for your third party SSD, you first need to disable the kext signing security setting.
It is important to note that the kext-signing setting is global, if you disable it you should be careful to only install system drivers from sources that you trust.

quote:

I don’t want to disable a security feature! Is there no other way to get Trim?

Unfortunately not. Disabling the kext-signing to enable Trim is best described as taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I have been unsuccessful in creating a less invasive method to enable Trim. All of Apple’s AHCI SATA drivers are closed source and undocumented, which makes it impossible for me to create my own Trim driver and get it signed. This is the only alternative for enabling Trim for the moment.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

No.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So am I the only one noticing a general regression in rendering performance for the user interface in Yosemite? All the transitions/animations etc feel a tad slower.

Also, i'm noticing that rendering performance while using the accessibility zoom is actually much worse (whereas in Mavericks there was no difference). Even zooming in by a little bit results in substantial jittering in the movement of the mouse pointer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's a lot more transparency going on so there's likely more computation going on behind the scenes. I agree that it's not as snappy as 10.9 but is still entirely usable and enjoyable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

So am I the only one noticing a general regression in rendering performance for the user interface in Yosemite? All the transitions/animations etc feel a tad slower.
Are you talking responsiveness (duration of animation) or actual frame rate performance?

If the latter, it probably depends on your GPU/drivers. My coworker's Ivy Bridge MBA looks to render much slower with Yosemite (particularly when using Mission Control). However, my iMac (5750) and rMBP (Iris Pro/750m) are running just as fast as Mavericks, if not faster.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

There's a lot more transparency going on so there's likely more computation going on behind the scenes. I agree that it's not as snappy as 10.9 but is still entirely usable and enjoyable.

Transparency/gaussian blur really isn't the hardest thing to pull from a GPU perspective. Plus the performance regression that I'm noticing with accessibility zoom makes no sense...makes me think there's something else going on behind the scenes...

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
So, since glims apparently doesn't work in Yosemite, and hasn't been updated for a year, I'm questioning whether or not it's still being maintained. Is there a replacement plugin that'll give me keyword search, favicons on tabs, and multiple undo-close-tab?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't source this, but I'm pretty sure Apple routinely decreases the duration of common animations with major iOS updates. Decreasing perceived latency is a great way to make a system feel faster. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple set the animation timings a little long for Yosemite. Since it's an all new visual language, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It helps to communicate the interaction model to new users. Plus, it's a great way to make future versions of OS X feel faster if they shave ~50ms or so off some of the animations. Again, this is total conjecture on my part.

On another note, can someone tell me where Terminal saves its themes? I forgot to export mine before I reformatted. I have plenty of backups, I just don't know where to look.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

Transparency/gaussian blur really isn't the hardest thing to pull from a GPU perspective. Plus the performance regression that I'm noticing with accessibility zoom makes no sense...makes me think there's something else going on behind the scenes...

I have the same problem on my 13" rMPB. In Mavericks the Accessibility Zoom was butter smooth, in Yosemite it stutters and if I haven't rebooted in a while ( 1+ day) it beach balls and lags behind by seconds.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
So I could only reinstall into Mavericks, but did the Yosemite from the App Store which I figured is enough. Except for the new "speaker symbol" when changing audio through F10 and F11 I like it a lot.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Are you talking responsiveness (duration of animation) or actual frame rate performance?

If the latter, it probably depends on your GPU/drivers. My coworker's Ivy Bridge MBA looks to render much slower with Yosemite (particularly when using Mission Control). However, my iMac (5750) and rMBP (Iris Pro/750m) are running just as fast as Mavericks, if not faster.

It's a Haswell fellow coworker and yeah it's pretty hitchy when switching spaces or going full screen on apps.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BobHoward posted:

I think next year is a good bet. They've been preparing to ease it out for a while. There was already an unofficial plist setting to turn Dashboard off in Mavericks, and in Yosemite it's been promoted to a visible setting in System Preferences -> Mission Control.

I keep wondering if/when they'll make Launchpad into something actually usable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Roadie posted:

Eh, my mom uses it a lot.

I think the people who it most appeals to are those who came to mac via iOS devices. From that point of view it acts as a nice little anchor to the UI stuff they learned in iOS.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's a Haswell fellow coworker and yeah it's pretty hitchy when switching spaces or going full screen on apps.

This seems to be along the same lines of what I'm experiencing...

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What are the correct steps to take when trying to "reattach" to a Time Machine backup?

I decided to clean install yosemite and now Time Machine can see the old sparse bundle but thinks I'm on a different computer and wants to start all over.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Axiem posted:

So, since glims apparently doesn't work in Yosemite, and hasn't been updated for a year, I'm questioning whether or not it's still being maintained. Is there a replacement plugin that'll give me keyword search, favicons on tabs, and multiple undo-close-tab?

Haven't found one, and I'm hoping to see some glimmer of life from the developer before switching to some other solution. I seem to recall that the updates were very sporadic in the past too, but they responded fairly quickly to Mavericks when it came out.
I was so used to all of that working from Opera and then Glims that I didn't even notice how much I used it until I my other machine. :(

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Roadie posted:

People were worried they would have a mode where Launchpad replaces the desktop and dock, to be even more like iOS, but they didn't move in that direction at all in Yosemite.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Roadie posted:

:confused: I use Launchpad a fair amount. I have it set to the five-finger "claw" on my trackpad, and it's fantastic for running apps I don't use often enough to justify a place on my Dock.

Tippis posted:

Haven't found one, and I'm hoping to see some glimmer of life from the developer before switching to some other solution.

I'd love to know what other solution there is out there. Not that I'm particularly sold on Safari 8 yet. I might be switching back to Firefox :( Why are all the browser-writers actively working to make their browsers more terrible?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Safari 8 is amazing. I hope this information helps you.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fleshweasel posted:

It doesn't seem to have search engine editing, in-menu bookmark management, or any real tab goodies. Amazingness greatly diminished. :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Click on that little bookmarks button to the right of the back/forward arrows. Now you're janitoring your bookmarks in style. Don't know what to tell you about custom search engines except don't do that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I just upgraded from mavericks to yosemite. I'm having an issue where I can connect to google chrome, but can't connect to anything that goes through an apple app: the app store, itunes app store, safari, and the wifi utility don't work.

Connecting to the internet through chrome works fine.

This is a work computer, and it wasn't imaged before it came to me. I've cleared out most of the weird stuff, but I suspect there's some lingering DNS thing or something somewhere. My host file is vanilla, and I've tried both the default DNS IP (it points to my router) and using the googles DNS server.

Any ideas?

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 18, 2014

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm still amazed that Dashboard didn't get axed, especially now that Notification Center supports widgets. Maybe next year.

I still use it, but haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. It's got weather for several cities, stocks, my calendar, and local movie theaters all at a glance. Why get rid of it?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fleshweasel posted:

It'd be more amazing if they would let me use favicons only as bookmarks. Instead they just show up as NO_TITLE

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

I still use it, but haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. It's got weather for several cities, stocks, my calendar, and local movie theaters all at a glance. Why get rid of it?
That's just what Notifications has, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Also wish there was a gesture that let you switch between the widget view and notification view. Seems like an oversight given the two finger swipe gesture that lets you view them in the first place.