Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is Lord of Silence stand alone, or do is part of a larger series (outside of existing post fall of Cadia)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is Lord of Silence stand alone, or do is part of a larger series (outside of existing post fall of Cadia)?

Standalone. I loved it too, slightly thinner characterisation of the various members of the warband than in Night Lords but I really enjoyed Vorx's character arc. It's a refreshing take on characters that have never been explored like this. Plague Marines are usually basically zombies in other stuff but this really emphasises their...humanity almost.

They almost seem...nice in places? At least Vorx does. There is a moment on the ship where something goes wrong and where a standard BL novel would have the Chaos guy execute some lackey Vorx just thinks "oh well, they are trying their best." I loved that.

It seems like since seeing how popular Night Lords got BL has established that proper Chaos Marine characters can be way more compelling than previously depicted. Fabius Bile, Ahriman, Black Legion. All good series!

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 25, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know Nurlge is portrayed as as a loving Chaos god (Grandpapa Nurgle and all that) in the fandom and in the fantasy setting his cultists talk about him as a loving god, maybe that's a nod to that, his marines are actually more caring of their subordinates than normal?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I really like how they portrayed mortarion him being somewhat disjointed and aware of multiple timelines was interesting. He seemed so sure he had at one point killed abbadon but unsure when.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Huh, I didn't know about that from him. I thought his thing was hatred of psykers and sorcery but then dabbling in it himself until he bans it again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh poo poo, Wraight wrote some Space Wolves? I liked the Ragnar stuff well enough besides his raging Mary Sue boner from time to time, I could go for that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Miguel Prado posted:

Lords of Silence is really good! Chris Wraight is doing for the Death Guard what ADB did for the Night Lords

well poo poo. i guess i'll have to audible it next month.

how is the perterabo book. i always liked him because he is basically guillieman if he were emo and into models.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wraight has done some good stuff before this, like with the White Scars.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, Wright is one of their better authors, he's generally pretty solid.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well poo poo. i guess i'll have to audible it next month.

how is the perterabo book. i always liked him because he is basically guillieman if he were emo and into models.

Angel Exterminatus is uh a very mixed book for me.

I loved everything that involved Peturabo and the insight we got into his character. Less of a fan everything else in that book, even some of the Iron Warriors stuff was contrived just to link with the stuff in the future.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

boredsatellite posted:

I loved everything that involved Peturabo and the insight we got into his character. Less of a fan everything else in that book, even some of the Iron Warriors stuff was contrived just to link with the stuff in the future.
Yeah this.

It's still worth it for the Pert bits if you have money to blow on dumb genre fiction, in my opinion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boredsatellite posted:

i meant the smaller novel in the primarc series.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I listened to and enjoyed the Corsair: Face of the Void audiodrama. There's not a followup to that in any kind of format right?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished Lords of Silence. It is really loving good. Go pick it up yesterday.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Slaves of darkness question. Apparently Pert has some sorta soul wound going on- when did this happen?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

perturabo was always a sad lad!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Angel Exterminatus is great because of the reveal that the Iron Warriors spend their free time playing 40k tabletop

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Immanentized posted:

Slaves of darkness question. Apparently Pert has some sorta soul wound going on- when did this happen?

Probably in Angel Exterminatus.

It's been a while, but from memory Fulgrim betrays P as part of some attempt to 'Sacrifice him to Chaos' thing I don't recall the details off. Which obviously failed, but he nearly died and there was Chaos/Magic fuckery involved in the assault, so that's probably the source of the injury.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Deptfordx posted:

Probably in Angel Exterminatus.

It's been a while, but from memory Fulgrim betrays P as part of some attempt to 'Sacrifice him to Chaos' thing I don't recall the details off. Which obviously failed, but he nearly died and there was Chaos/Magic fuckery involved in the assault, so that's probably the source of the injury.

The landing on the planet where that happens is, by the way, one of my favorite portrayals of the Iron Warriors. The whole rapid establishment of bridgehead, perimeter, support, defenses and siegework is exactly how I had portrayed them in my head and I wish there were more books of them just doing their thing.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Angel Exterminatus is great because of the reveal that the Iron Warriors spend their free time playing 40k tabletop

Almost makes the edgelord Raven Guard (redundant, I know) worth it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The landing on the planet where that happens is, by the way, one of my favorite portrayals of the Iron Warriors. The whole rapid establishment of bridgehead, perimeter, support, defenses and siegework is exactly how I had portrayed them in my head and I wish there were more books of them just doing their thing.

Seriously. I loved the hell out of that. Give me more of that please. You could see why the Iron Warriors were masters of siege warfare

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right 40k thread but eh :v:

In the TTS stuff Vulcan is weird and orky, is that actually based on anything or is it just some weird joke they’re running with because he’s green or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xun posted:

In the TTS stuff Vulcan is weird and orky, is that actually based on anything or is it just some weird joke they’re running with because he’s green or something

They're playing with the idea that Vulkan's status as a perpetual had some odd side effects when he fought The Beast. Considering the gestalt field of psychic energy given off by Orks Making what they believe actually come true, Vulkan's resurrection left an imprint of The Beast on his psyche.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Xun posted:

At the end of the beast arises vulcan takes hold of waaagh energy somehow and they are riffing on that making him orky when he respawned, its as dumb as it sounds.

bad books posted:

Vulkan tackled the Warboss and they both fell into the temple-gargants power generator, where the Primarch became imbued with massive amounts of Waaagh! energies. Rather than be consumed by the energies as so many other men had, Vulkan used his primal and savage essence to become one with it and launch one last attack.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't think they could make the Salamanders anymore racist, but goddamn

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

its sad that Vulkan/Salamanders stuff is always done by the worst authors BL can scrape up

like you've got this faction that, premise-wise, should be super cool and rad, yet they're stuck this way

the one chapter or so that the Salamanders are in Helsreach is probably more worthwhile than all of the dozen books nick kyme has written about them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PupsOfWar posted:

its sad that Vulkan/Salamanders stuff is always done by the worst authors BL can scrape up

like you've got this faction that, premise-wise, should be super cool and rad, yet they're stuck this way

the one chapter or so that the Salamanders are in Helsreach is probably more worthwhile than all of the dozen books nick kyme has written about them

Watch the new episode of Helsreach to see this in action.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I probably shouldn't have read 'Scars' and 'Fear to Tread' back to back. For books that from the abstract are so extremely similar (a story about two full-strength Legions being betrayed and isolated at the start of the Heresy through Warp trickery), the difference in result is staggering. 'Scars' makes the White Scars seem awesome. 'Fear to Tread' makes the Blood Angels seem like the most boring, vanilla Marines ever.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

susan posted:

I probably shouldn't have read 'Scars' and 'Fear to Tread' back to back. For books that from the abstract are so extremely similar (a story about two full-strength Legions being betrayed and isolated at the start of the Heresy through Warp trickery), the difference in result is staggering. 'Scars' makes the White Scars seem awesome. 'Fear to Tread' makes the Blood Angels seem like the most boring, vanilla Marines ever.

Yeah. Seems like a kick in the teeth for an awesome Death Guard novel to come out that fleshes them out so well and then to announce a book about their fall to Nurgle...by a different, worse author. Just give it to Wraight!

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

a lovely king posted:

Yeah. Seems like a kick in the teeth for an awesome Death Guard novel to come out that fleshes them out so well and then to announce a book about their fall to Nurgle...by a different, worse author. Just give it to Wraight!

Wraight’s depiction of the death guard and even the plague planet is just fantastic. I need a trilogy following Vorx and his warband.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A Death Guard equivalent to Black Legion or Night Lords series could be cool if anything.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I liked Lords of Silence, though I wish it was a bit more focused on the characters like Night Lords.

I do like the fact that the Death Guard are portrayed as the Salamanders of the Chaos Marines, being very caring and protective.

The contrast of imperial perspective to the nurglings and plague marines was also great.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Are you all :filez:-ing your Lords of Silence or something? Amazon tells me the book isn't available until February 2019

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 28, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Are you all :files:-ing your Lords of Silence or something? Amazon tells me the book isn't available until February 2019

Ebook and Audio books are out on Kindle

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Why the hell does it take that long to get the printed books? loving GW.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, it's on Audible, which is how I'm listening to it.

My only complaint with it is that I wish the main plague marine characters were a squad rather than a collection of different leaders that interact from time to time, but aren't really as connected. With Night Lords I felt like we got to know the members of first claw better and got a better sense of interaction. With the crew for this book, you learn a bit about the characters, but not enough to really care much about them. Only the lord and the tallyman seem to have any real connection.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I bought it on iTunes yesterday, pretty good so far.

And they made a weird animation and insane buzzing sound on the cover. Like seriously weirded me out, tried to figure out what the hell eas happening with my iPad for like a minute. Kinda lame.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

I bought it on iTunes yesterday, pretty good so far.

And they made a weird animation and insane buzzing sound on the cover. Like seriously weirded me out, tried to figure out what the hell eas happening with my iPad for like a minute. Kinda lame.

Your ipad's machine spirit is infected, you know what must be done.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Azubah posted:

Your ipad's machine spirit is infected, you know what must be done.

Praise Papa Nurgle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Vadoc posted:

Why the hell does it take that long to get the printed books? loving GW.

Get the book out the door as soon as it's edited so money can be started to be made ASAP, the printing can follow when it can be squeezed in.

No one can afford to have printing presses sitting idle until the author has finally finished the book so you have to deal with lead times. All the while you have already paid the author, editor, voice actor, fx artist, illustrator etc etc. That is a fair bit of debt to have sitting around until you can coordinate release.

If you are Lee Child or JK Rowling then you can get the printing of other books moved back for your current, once every five years best seller. For GW you just can't do that for a single book with all the others you are involved in.