Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

But I will eternally love Alfre Woodard because she's so good at making me hate her in this so I'm glad I stuck through it for her. And of course Misty but I could gush about Simone for hours.

I am going to give IF a chance but only because Colleen and Misty are in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that ending was actually hella tight so I'm very pleased I soldiered through. Also Italian crime lady is pretty great and I want to see her pursue Luke next season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well that ending was actually hella tight so I'm very pleased I soldiered through. Also Italian crime lady is pretty great and I want to see her pursue Luke next season.

Romantically, or as a villain?

I thought Luke Cage Season 2 was overall better than Season 1. The first half of Season 1 with Cottonmouth was fire, but then it plummeted with Diamondback in the second half. Season 2 was much more consistently good. The Iron Fist episode was the coolest, Misty continued to be awesome, and I loved everything that happened with Mariah and Tilda in the final two episodes, especially with how the season ended.

Vulture recently ranked all the Netflix Marvel seasons, and I was appalled by how low they ranked both seasons of Luke Cage and how high they ranked the execrable Jessica Jones Season 2.
http://www.vulture.com/article/marvel-netflix-shows-every-season-ranked-worst-best.html

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine having that high an opinion about JJ S2. That really did nothing for me. Even more so than Iron Fist S1 and Defenders. That episode of Cage with Danny in it is actually one of the Netflix Marvel episodes that I think is worth a rewatch on its own. It's very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought Luke Cage Season 2 was overall better than Season 1. The first half of Season 1 with Cottonmouth was fire, but then it plummeted with Diamondback in the second half.

Mahershala Ali is a tough act to follow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Romantically, or as a villain?

Both!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I liked both JJ S2 and LC S2. IF S2’s first episode did nothing for me, so I’m not bothering with the rest of the season. *shrug*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I don't really know why they thought bringing back Jess's mom as dark mirror of Jess was compelling. It's like Spider-Man, her parents are dead, its not really important or interesting to explore that, and them showing up is just pointless for the character. Probably more of that cliche hack writer "I want to explore the meaning of family!" thing they always do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
LCS2 was the most bloated season so far, IMO. There are 8 or 9 episodes of people telling Luke he can't solve everything with ultraviolence, then Mariah, Shades, and Bushmaster are all conveniently sent away, and he solves everything with ultraviolence.

The ending with him as the Don of Harlem was great, but everything before that was very dull, and I have no idea how they plan to set up Tilda as a villain as she was more an extension of Mariah's character than her own.

Also weird that almost every single other character during the series was more interesting to watch than Luke himself. Mariah owned the entire season, Shades was his slimy self but went too far and wanted to back down a little(while still being a slimy bastard), Misty recovering her composure, Bushmaster just bringing down the house on Harlem, and Luke is just there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked bushmaster. He clearly went too far and made himself a monster in the quest for revenge but i thought they made a good effort in making him sympathetic

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I can't hate a guy that fights with capoeira

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

I liked bushmaster. He clearly went too far and made himself a monster in the quest for revenge but i thought they made a good effort in making him sympathetic

I liked how the season was not about Luke, and the stuff about how native born Black Americans would have it in for Immigrant Blacks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I can't hate a guy that fights with capoeira

The bad guy in Only the Strong is pretty unlikable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

LCS2 was the most bloated season so far, IMO. There are 8 or 9 episodes of people telling Luke he can't solve everything with ultraviolence, then Mariah, Shades, and Bushmaster are all conveniently sent away, and he solves everything with ultraviolence.

Luke doesn't solve a thing in LCS2. He's up against systemic and social problems that can't be beaten up, and by the end he's been subverted by those systemic problems. He's beaten up individual people, but that's missing the forest for the trees. The forces and organizations they represent haven't gone away because Luke beat up their leader.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I loved Luke Cage season 2, though it was less "fun" than season 1. IF season 2 is all right, I'd certainly rank it above season 1 and the complete disasters that were JJS2 and Defenders.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I quite liked LC season 2. It didn't feel bloated at all to me. I remember toward the end, I was concerned and a bit confused because I realized I couldn't possibly have very more episodes left and things didn't seem like they were going to be wrapped up in time. I wouldn't call that bloat though because that seems like a negative thing, and I was enjoying the show, not feeling burned out. JJS2 just seems worse and worse the more I think about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jason Todd in media res

https://twitter.com/DCUTitans/status/1041023845652684806

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I really liked IF S2. I think I've said this before but it's the best paced Marvel Netflix season. It's keeps moving forward, has only one villain, some pretty good fights, and a couple good twists at the end that make me excited for a season 3. I think anyone who wasn't a fan of IF S1 should still give IF S2 an honest shot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

A bit more Titans news, not sure if I should spoiler this or not it has Jason Todd as Robin too. (Side note/question), in the comics hadn't Dick Greyson already become Nightwing before Jason Todd showed up?

So I have a pretty good guess as the either the mid season twist or the season finale.

To answer your spoilered question continuity on this has been put in a drat blender and set to purée but initially no, Dick was still rockin’ the scaly underoos when Jason appeared on the scene. His initial background story was identical to Dick’s (orphaned circus acrobat, Dick was even going to adopt him) and he first appeared in costume in Dec of ‘83. Dick didn’t become Nightwing til July of ‘84. Dick also initially left Bruce to go off to Hudson College in an amiable parting of the ways/kids grow up kind of way in the ‘70s. After Crisis on Infinite Earths in ‘85 they retcon all that and Bruce fires Dick after he’s shot in the shoulder by the Joker and falls off a roof. Ostensibly this was to keep him safe but Bruce being Bruce it doesn’t really come across that way and becomes a ‘you can’t fire me I quit’ kind of thing, which I’m guessing is where the show will draw inspiration from. They also revamp Jason into the street hood stealing the tires off the Batmobile version. Dick doesn’t know he’s been replaced because of course Bruce doesn’t tell him but finds out while they’re both chasing after some drug dealers. He confronts Bruce about it eventually Bruce admits he missed Dick/having a partner and Dick gives Jason his old Robin costume (he was already nightwing at this point). So yeah your guesses are likely correct if they make this first season as Robin/Nightwing centric as they seem to be hinting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

This is a weird tone next to gently caress BATMAN

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm almost through season 3 of Venture Bros and aside from the typical 00s gay jokes I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I wish I knew this was a hero satire show a long time ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I'm almost through season 3 of Venture Bros and aside from the typical 00s gay jokes I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I wish I knew this was a hero satire show a long time ago

It started as a Johnny Quest parody and sorta escalated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah that's what I thought it was which is why I never bothered with it before, but I had a friend tell me recently that since I enjoy superhero stuff I should check it out and they were right

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's more like, everything from the 70s, 80s and 90s that nerdy dorks of all kinds love used to make really solid stories. It's so much more than a 'member dis? kind of poo poo which we see so often.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Yeah that's what I thought it was which is why I never bothered with it before, but I had a friend tell me recently that since I enjoy superhero stuff I should check it out and they were right

You're in for a treat. It only keeps getting better and more superheroey. And the gay characters kick rear end and are treated with more and more respect as the show continues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

You're in for a treat. It only keeps getting better and more superheroey. And the gay characters kick rear end and are treated with more and more respect as the show continues.

Ehhh, that's debatable. Also there's a big Sgt. Hatred shaped elephant in the room in later seasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Ehhh, that's debatable. Also there's a big Sgt. Hatred shaped elephant in the room in later seasons.

You're not wrong. That guy drags down the show for far too long. But I was specifically thinking of Shore Leave and The Alchemist.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

SonicRulez posted:

This is a weird tone next to gently caress BATMAN

Maybe an editor finally got some sense.

Too bad they hired Daredevil to do their lighting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Maybe an editor finally got some sense.

Too bad they hired Daredevil to do their lighting.

I figured it was just DC house style at this point to have everything shot in washed-out colors and 50% lighting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You're not wrong. That guy drags down the show for far too long. But I was specifically thinking of Shore Leave and The Alchemist.

Um Shore-Leave is one of the biggest bad asses on the show, honestly only second to Brock. He is much more than a gay joke after his first appearances.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Um Shore-Leave is one of the biggest bad asses on the show, honestly only second to Brock. He is much more than a gay joke after his first appearances.

Yeah hence "kick rear end + more respect" (further up the quote chain)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Netflix has changed the name of the Defenders FB page to NX (their new branding of original content) which is pretty much cementing no second series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Luke Cage S2: On episode 8 right now and after the initial Claire/Luke arc, I'm much more invested in everyone else's story besides Luke. Shades, of all people, is just stealing every scene he's in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Theo Rossi just blows me away after being utterly terrible in every moment of SoA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Netflix has changed the name of the Defenders FB page to NX (their new branding of original content) which is pretty much cementing no second series.

Good. If they want to cross characters over, they will, and Danny and Luke taking down baddies or Daredevil confronting crime boss Luke Cage would not be improved by having Jessica Jones standing to the side and complaining that she wants to go home and everyone is dressed stupid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After that last season of Jessica Jones, I'll be happy to see her bounce off of literally any character that isn't in her supporting cast. Send her to Harlem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SonicRulez posted:

After that last season of Jessica Jones, I'll be happy to see her bounce off of literally any character that isn't in her supporting cast. Send her to Harlem.

JJ and DD have the same problem for any of their sequels. They had incredibly compelling and perfect antagonists for their first season that set a bar higher than 99% of people can match.

DDS2 tried to solve it by bringing Fisk back and introducing Punisher. It worked pretty well, but was still obviously not as compelling as the Fisk arc from 1.

JJ has Purple Man, he was played perfectly, meshed with the themes of her show perfectly, played into elements of power/control/pleasure/corruption that seamlessly integrated into the overall Jessica Story. But now he's gone.

His 40 second cameo in JJS2 was still the most compelling character of the season.

In a weird way, Iron Fist seems to have learned the best lesson.

Cut it down to 10 episodes.
One single antagonist who is introduced immeadiately
Make them someone from last season, so you have 13 hours of back story already banked
Write an incredibly tight script to fit your new 10 show format and just bring back all the best characters from first season and pretend the others never existed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just give Jess a case to work through all season and NOT have it be connected to her personally. Make her motivations be to do good, not try to fix parts of her that's broken.

I am disappointment that so far Mary has not pained her face half white. I don't know why but I love that look. Davos wasn't really interesting until he went all holy angel purification.

I Felt DD was bound too close to needing to do Elektra, as there are still too many people making comic book media that creativity ends at Frank Miller. It's like Batman constantly just re-adapting DKR over and over.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 18, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Luke Cage S2: On episode 8 right now and after the initial Claire/Luke arc, I'm much more invested in everyone else's story besides Luke. Shades, of all people, is just stealing every scene he's in.

Some people didn't enjoy it for good reasons, but I adored the Shades & Comanche's scene at the barbershop, it was probably my favorite moment of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I dunno if it's a Frank Miller thing necessarily. Elektra is gonna be in the top 5 DD characters any person would name on the spot. It's like how any Batman story is going to be asked about Robin in one way or another.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

JJ and DD have the same problem for any of their sequels. They had incredibly compelling and perfect antagonists for their first season that set a bar higher than 99% of people can match.

DDS2 tried to solve it by bringing Fisk back and introducing Punisher. It worked pretty well, but was still obviously not as compelling as the Fisk arc from 1.

JJ has Purple Man, he was played perfectly, meshed with the themes of her show perfectly, played into elements of power/control/pleasure/corruption that seamlessly integrated into the overall Jessica Story. But now he's gone.

His 40 second cameo in JJS2 was still the most compelling character of the season.

In a weird way, Iron Fist seems to have learned the best lesson.

Cut it down to 10 episodes.
One single antagonist who is introduced immeadiately
Make them someone from last season, so you have 13 hours of back story already banked
Write an incredibly tight script to fit your new 10 show format and just bring back all the best characters from first season and pretend the others never existed.

This is all very true, but I still think Malcolm and especially Trish need to be reworked by the next time I have to see them.