Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
LINK

Supposedly from Tomball.

Didn't see this posted yet, and can't confirm with any legit news source, but it feels truthy (and statistically likely, at some point). Give a million MAGA chuds a million keyboards, and a pandemic, and they won't type King Lear or whatever, but they will type a lot of stupid poo poo about the pandemic that eventually kills at least one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

ReindeerF posted:

LINK

Supposedly from Tomball.

Didn't see this posted yet, and can't confirm with any legit news source, but it feels truthy (and statistically likely, at some point). Give a million MAGA chuds a million keyboards, and a pandemic, and they won't type King Lear or whatever, but they will type a lot of stupid poo poo about the pandemic that eventually kills at least one of them.

The internet already got ahold of it.
https://twitter.com/CallCameron/status/1246538255517904896?s=20

Here's a similar one involving a pastor with a fake rear end name declaring it a hoax before going to Mardi gras and dying

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52157824

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Stop all this white-on-white violence.

(How the Hell can I not find a video clip of noted Texan Jamie Foxx saying that?)

EDIT: Made comment Texas relevant.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Had to pick up some meds that got shipped to my parents place.

Target, home Depot and Lowe's parking lots were all packed. We are so hosed here.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Marxalot posted:

The internet already got ahold of it.
https://twitter.com/CallCameron/status/1246538255517904896?s=20

Here's a similar one involving a pastor with a fake rear end name declaring it a hoax before going to Mardi gras and dying

This is incredible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1247245377310425102

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bird cooch posted:

Had to pick up some meds that got shipped to my parents place.

Target, home Depot and Lowe's parking lots were all packed. We are so hosed here.

Target and home depot were absolutely chill to normal here in the Valley. Picked up a carpet shampooer with attachments and gonna finally take care of the house's poor couches.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The relatively low positive rate is good news. I wonder what the turnaround time is on the tests now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1247518870274965504

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
So uh... how evil is National Oilwell Varco? Looking at a computer touching job there, are we talking like Halliburton evil or can I sleep at night by telling myself I'm at least making them safer/less accident prone?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So I've been ordering HEB delivery twice. The first time, I only got texts from them and presumably an HEB employee was the delivery driver. This time, I got texts from favor and HEB. Unless they always used favor and just didn't tell the customer, it looks like they decided not to hire new drivers and just outsource it to favor. This makes all the HEB gives employees raises stories slightly less nice. (but still good) I just hope HEB gives the favor drive the full tip I left on HEB's website.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's not outsourcing, HEB owns Favor

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mustache Ride posted:

It's not outsourcing, HEB owns Favor

I didn't know that but it still screws over the favor "independent contractor" that could be an heb employee. I guess that means I was a fool to think HEB had been employing drivers. They were probably using favor the whole time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm not filling out the census to create work for the doorknockers

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Forseti posted:

So uh... how evil is National Oilwell Varco? Looking at a computer touching job there, are we talking like Halliburton evil or can I sleep at night by telling myself I'm at least making them safer/less accident prone?

I don’t see any news from the last two years of them killing anyone.

If you’re working on the pump software, I applied there last year but got a higher offer elsewhere. At the time, they were wildly behind schedule and trying to hire enough programmers to get caught up. Double check on what exactly you’ll be doing or you might find yourself running through an insufficiently automated install process for literal months.

Shop seemed to have a lot of the problems small teams do with poor quality control but sounded like they might be a bit better than average.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Did 3 years in IT Security at NOV. Corporate is great, as a computer toucher you'll be fine. They're in a bit of a downturn now because NOVs stock is dependent on the big boys doing well, but corporate IT is very rarely affected.

Don't expect to get a raise, or a bonus, but you'll love your manager (probably) and it's a great stepping stone to something else in a couple of years. Or a great place to be a lifer if you don't need to be at the higher end of your salary range per title.

edit: Oh, and as someone who worked at Halliburton as well, NOV is very much good old boy Texas charm and none of the evil corporate bureaucracy that was present at the 'burton.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I didn't know that but it still screws over the favor "independent contractor" that could be an heb employee.

You cracked the code.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/mims/status/1247700593512251392

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1247941223140163587

Sure hope that's true

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I want to believe this but am also afraid that lack of testing is skewing the numbers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't hide hospital capacity overload and deaths as easily though. I hate that this is a partisan issue and we can't trust numbers coming out of our own governments.

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1247946883277848578?s=21

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 8, 2020

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

A good point. At least that seems to be consistent so far. It still is a bit surprising we don't have more cases considering DFW. Small favors. I will love if we see a decrease in cases and it stays that way.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
gently caress that bullshit noise about beds and ventilators, it's ignoring the the immediate problem of exposure and spread that hospitals are facing.

We were just updated that we are now at a unsustainable rate of PPE usage. Our distributor was, and continues to be, unable to keep up with the demand of disposable wipes, masks, shoe/boot covers, and as of the last two days, isolation gowns.

Speaking of beds, our two ICUs are almost at combined max capacity, we've already converted two floors to COVID patients only, and this week will determine if we are going to convert the post-op recovery area into another isolated COVID unit, which will probably happen since projections are exemplifying surges in cases.

gently caress Abbott and his people for blowing smoke up people's asses about this.

(That is not to say the overall availabilty of beds and machines is a bad thing of course, again, it's glossing over serious concerns)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just lol at crediting Abbott for the slow rise, he didn't lay out his executive orders until after most of the major cities had already stepped up.

Arguably his biggest contribution has been weakening the city orders by exempting religious services. Hopefully that doesn't bite us in the rear end in a few weeks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Western state governors have been very impressive, I bet all three run in 2024/8 depending on Biden winning/living. That Inslee guy shoulda run!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

The Western state governors have been very impressive, I bet all three run in 2024/8 depending on Biden winning/living. That Inslee guy shoulda run!

He did, and completely bombed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

He did, and completely bombed.

:geno:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Newsom is giving me strong John Edwards vibes

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I have a 3d printer and filament not doing anything. Does anyone know of items that would be useful to hospitals and which hospitals need them? I am in Collin county if that matters.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

I have a 3d printer and filament not doing anything. Does anyone know of items that would be useful to hospitals and which hospitals need them? I am in Collin county if that matters.

Go check out masksfordocs.org they have local volunteer chapters all over the US that use their 3d printers to print face shields. I know the Austin chapter is already partnered with a few hospitals here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Badger of Basra posted:

Newsom is giving me strong John Edwards vibes
He's a very slick and oily F&B magnate whose ex wife is dating Trump's kid. Whatever I don't know about him, I'm sure it's not good. Every time I see him, scenes from American Psycho flash through my brain.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Personally I think my fat billionaire governor JB Pritzker would be a good president

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Personally I think my fat billionaire governor JB Pritzker would be a good president

aaaaaaaaa

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
We added another 6.6 million unemployment claims this week.

I'd say about a third of my friends have either gotten laid off or their hours/salaries reduced. And I feel that number would be a lot higher if I didn't live in Austin where so many people work in tech.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The company I work for has furloughed the majority of its employees. I managed to avoid that axe, but I've taken an involuntary pay reduction for the duration of the furlough. Since I work in tech, that seems to be the standard among the people I know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1248230979153641484

That's a very good deal for us however

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1248254918177234945

DMN had an across the board 8% paycut and the Statesman is furloughing employees

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 9, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

DMN had an across the board 8% paycut and the Statesman is furloughing employees

How much money do they save furloughing the five people who work there

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Go check out masksfordocs.org they have local volunteer chapters all over the US that use their 3d printers to print face shields. I know the Austin chapter is already partnered with a few hospitals here.

Thanks!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

How much money do they save furloughing the five people who work there

I mean, at this point isn't something like 90% of the value for the Statesman purely from that building it owns on Congress? It's kind of amazing just how terrible they were at being a business. Like, when Craigslist basically destroyed the classifieds section and it was becoming clear that print was dying, they bragged about how they were still able to stay solvent because they ran their own printing press and were able to make money doing the printing for smaller regional papers. (They shut down their printing press as of 2015.)

At some point the old Statesman building (and that whole block on the Northeast of Riverside and Congress) is gonna be a really, really nice Facebook corporate campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LanceHunter posted:

At some point the old Statesman building (and that whole block on the Northeast of Riverside and Congress) is gonna be a really, really nice Facebook corporate campus.

will probably be seized by the city under eminent domain and then to Facebook for 99 years for $1