Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kujeger posted:

Batman of Arkham

Is that collected in anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that collected in anything?

Yes, it's called, surprisingly enough, "The Batman of Arkham".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Evil Mastermind posted:

My favorite part of that was when Joker met the guy in the shower.

I think it's impossible to read this and not hear Mark Hamil's voice

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you asked him to he'd probably do it, too. Mark Hamill is a really cool guy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That comic ends with a couple of dudes talking to each other about Great White.

"You hear he met the Joker?"

"What happened?"

"Joker said 'you're the worst person I've ever met."

"Shiiiiit."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I mean, they're not wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Finally, we figured out what's wrong down here! It's an outside source!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you asked him to he'd probably do it, too. Mark Hamill is a really cool guy

You could get him to voice an entire comic by asking for each line (several people at several conventions throughout the year) add your own voices for character and narrator and, after he's dead, sell it for a ton of money as an "unreleased Joker cartoon with actual Hammil action"!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

You could get him to voice an entire comic by asking for each line (several people at several conventions throughout the year) add your own voices for character and narrator and, after he's dead, sell it for a ton of money as an "unreleased Joker cartoon with actual Hammil action"!

You’re assuming that Disney doesn’t own the posthumous rights to Mark Hamill’s work, legacy, and corpse.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ecavalli posted:

You’re assuming that Disney doesn’t own the posthumous rights to Mark Hamill’s work, legacy, and corpse.

"Sir, it' been three weeks; we'd like to lay our father to rest."

Disney:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Star Wars Episode 10: Weekend at Luke's

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ecavalli posted:

When we saw him speak at a con some years ago he got on that topic and his contracts are incredibly complicated.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yond Cassius posted:

Yes, it's called, surprisingly enough, "The Batman of Arkham".

Weird, I did search this on Amazon Canada and got nothin' except a bunch of individual villain stuff taking place in Arkham. I did get Living Hell as a result, though.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Rhyno posted:

When we saw him speak at a con some years ago he got on that topic and his contracts are incredibly complicated.

No, I'm pretty sure they just say he'll be making these movies till the end of time.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Lobsterman posted:

No, I'm pretty sure they just say he'll be making these movies till the end of time.

Why stop there. Disney will bring about the destruction of this universe so that they can recreate it in their image.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's a song reference.
A deaf man knew that and you didn't :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ecavalli posted:

Considering what they did with Tarkin, that's very probable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voice simulation's coming a long way, we'll be able to convincingly emulate in a few years. The way it's looking like it'll work now is that you'll have another voice actor record the lines with the desired acting, and trained systems can mutate from source to target voice whilst still keeping it human-seeming.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Didn't you know lady? He's married to his job.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Weird, I did search this on Amazon Canada and got nothin' except a bunch of individual villain stuff taking place in Arkham. I did get Living Hell as a result, though.

It looks like it's been out of print for quite a while, so maybe nobody's selling it third-party/used up there. Amazon's international coverage for third-party sellers is... spotty.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

But Dredd, she's a higher ranking Judge!

You will also have to go to the Cubes!

Still that's lienant for Dredd. Normally Judges convicted of crimes get stripped of their rank and sent to the mines on Titan. He is going easy on her.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 11, 2017

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Pedantic Dredd is the best.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If someone wanted to go back and read Dredd, but had never started, where's a good starting point?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Toshimo posted:

If someone wanted to go back and read Dredd, but had never started, where's a good starting point?

The one with the talking ape gang war.

Ok I just like talking apes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Talking apes are what make comics good, so that's expected.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Today on Totally True Tales of Hercules

And the end of Megatak

DeFalco taking over for Simonson leads to... something.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Push El Burrito posted:

OK, long blonde flowing locks spilling over what now must be a winged tiara - fine

No undershirt, just a vest with chain connecting the left and right sides, connected to a belt that is holding up nothing - fine

Studded wrist bands in two different sizes and styles - sure

Spiked shoulder pads - why not?

But what in the gently caress is up with those boot...kneepad...wings?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

CzarChasm posted:

Iunno but his right one is red and the left one is yellow. Can't blame the weekday colorist for that one!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Today on Totally True Tales of Hercules

That issue is one of my all time favourite Marvel comics. Particularly the part where Jarvis appears and when he starts correcting Herc he's edited out.
The ending also deserves to go into the Touching Panel thread.

My other favourite Herc story from this era is when he and the Black Knight go to a pub. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Toshimo posted:

Lots of people recommend starting with vol 5 of the complete case files - that's where I started too - but if you want to read chronologically from there you should just stick to events unless you're okay with going through ~35 years of stories. V5 has a good mix of self contained stuff and big epics that are relevant even now.

Otherwise though, Dredd's deceptively easy to get into. The only two places you shouldn't start at are the very start (cause it's kinda rough and silly) and America (it's one of the very best stories but it needs a little context to really punch, so read a couple other stories and maybe Democracy first).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Disproportionation posted:

Lots of people recommend starting with vol 5 of the complete case files - that's where I started too - but if you want to read chronologically from there you should just stick to events unless you're okay with going through ~35 years of stories. V5 has a good mix of self contained stuff and big epics that are relevant even now.

Otherwise though, Dredd's deceptively easy to get into. The only two places you shouldn't start at are the very start (cause it's kinda rough and silly) and America (it's one of the very best stories but it needs a little context to really punch, so read a couple other stories and maybe Democracy first).

The amazing thing I found about Dredd from starting at the very start of Dredd, is how much stuff was always there.

Like if you go to Batman from the very beginning, Robin doesn't show up for a year. Batgirl and Nightwing take decades before they appear. Solid parts of the mythos (the Batcave, Batmobile etc..) appear much later.

But for Dredd, his most iconic elements are all there very soon into it.
The start of it is a bit more of the gallows humour and satire then people might expect but even at the start, early Dredd is still unquestionably Judge Dredd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

Usually not segmented like that, and usually not as big, but Thor definitely has a thing for `em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toshimo posted:

Literally any storyline is a good jumping on point. Dredd doesn't have much of an origin or an arc. He just is this guy who has adventures upholding the law.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Push El Burrito posted:

Jon Mikl Thor, even!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

But Dredd, she's a higher ranking Judge!

You will also have to go to the Cubes!

Still that's lienant for Dredd. Normally Judges convicted of crimes get stripped of their rank and sent to the mines on Titan. He is going easy on her.

That's because he wanted to kiss as well but hadn't yet given permission. Consent can NOT be assumed people!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A good Dredd arc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It loses a lot of its impact outside of the context of 2000AD though where was introduced as a new strip running concurrently with Judge Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Personally I started at case files #1 and did not regret it a second