Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Beer derail, now that's a topic I can get behind.

Any BWM stories of idiots running running breweries into the ground? That seems like it would be the 2010s version of the restaurant owner with zero experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only thing we have left preventing Christmas from taking over half the calendar year is our Maginot Line of Pumpkin Spice and Halloween.

Embrace it as the alternative is worse.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

crazypeltast52 posted:

Like I don’t think I’ve seen a car commercial that has an interest rate above 3%, how does 20% seem reasonable if you have seen a car commercial before?

It doesn’t matter - most people have no concept of interest. We have seen from reddit alone people who think that interest is a one time charge, all the way to those who think that interest rates are monthly instead of annual (and yet still go through with the purchase!). I’d bet most don’t even look at the interest rate they’re given. My first car I had to ask what it was (9%, naive but quick refinance). My first lease I was asked to write on a piece of paper the monthly payment I was willing to pay and he would make it happen (I declined, less naive).

And leases, lol, the terminology is different and hard to calculate on the napkin (money factor, residual value) if you’ve never seen it before.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Devonaut posted:

Any BWM stories of idiots running running breweries into the ground? That seems like it would be the 2010s version of the restaurant owner with zero experience.

From what I've seen of the local scene if they are going to crash it will happen before they actually open, and if they actually make it to that point ongoing operating costs are actually low. Lot of start up costs on equipment but then you can run the place with fewer staff than you would expect.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Devonaut posted:

The tipping point has been reached where there are more breweries closing than in the past several years but afaik its a pretty hard business model to fantastically and hilariously run into the ground since its a pretty simple formula and its very heavily regulated.

I'm sure its happened at least once though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

epic bird guy posted:

The tipping point has been reached where there are more breweries closing than in the past several years but afaik its a pretty hard business model to fantastically and hilariously run into the ground since its a pretty simple formula and its very heavily regulated.

I'm sure its happened at least once though.

There was a huge crash in the late 90s. Volumes were going up something like 40-60% per year, investors were throwing briefcases full of cash at anyone who knew what yeast was, and Generic Brewpub was opening in pretty much every minimall across the land, pretty much all of them serving the exact same IPA, light later, and raspberry wheat, along with mediocre bar food.

Then market saturation hit, in 1997 demand flatlined, and a whole honking shitload of them went out of business.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sounds like a night out drinking tbh.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Right now opening a brewery is extremely GWM as long as you can brew a halfway decent hazy IPA. Just put it in cans with an abstract label and call it something ridiculous like Virtuous Moon Gazebo. Charge $16-20 per four pack and make it a “limited release”. People will line up to get their hands on your overprice “rare” beer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

very stable genius posted:

Right now opening a brewery is extremely GWM as long as you can brew a halfway decent hazy IPA. Just put it in cans with an abstract label and call it something ridiculous like Virtuous Moon Gazebo. Charge $16-20 per four pack and make it a “limited release”. People will line up to get their hands on your overprice “rare” beer.
i dunno this works like once if you're in a competitive city

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i dunno this works like once if you're in a competitive city

Not really, and not to derail the thread too much, but there are a lot of extremely mediocre breweries putting out extremely mediocre beer and making a lot of money using this model. All it takes is a decent amount of hype on social media. Hype is way more important than quality.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Who doesn't love a good hazy IPA? :rubshands:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hate how true this is in San Diego. We have an awesome brewing scene that I can barely enjoy because I'm so loving sick of IPAs. For every two dozen super-hoppy bitter fuckers there's like one decent brown ale or stout.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The only thing we have left preventing Christmas from taking over half the calendar year is our Maginot Line of Pumpkin Spice and Halloween.

Embrace it as the alternative is worse.

I work in R&D for Starbucks, there is no defined calendar. I have a new pumpkin spice product launching in grocery stores next week that I was working on since January. I was at a production plant this week that was running peppermint mocha.

Appreciate the relatively defined seasons that you have!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devonaut posted:

Someone who is definitely not me will have some good (for you, bad for me) stories about the accountant embezzling every single penny of profit that his brewery ever made, as soon as the court case is finished :smith:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Someone who is definitely not me will have some good (for you, bad for me) stories about the accountant embezzling every single penny of profit that his brewery ever made, as soon as the court case is finished :smith:

Heh, YEESH. That's exciting.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The real BWM is trading beer. You stand in line for hours to buy $100 worth of barrel-aged stout or hazy IPA and then you spend $50 shipping it across the country so that someone else will ship you a box full of identical beers from another brewery. Inevitably you end up with far more beer than you could ever hope to drink or you do try to drink it all and regret it.

Bonus points for joining a brewery's rare beer club and spending $200 to get six bottles of ketchup sour and anise barleywine.

lavaca fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 10, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I work in R&D for Starbucks, there is no defined calendar. I have a new pumpkin spice product launching in grocery stores next week that I was working on since January. I was at a production plant this week that was running peppermint mocha.

Appreciate the relatively defined seasons that you have!

Which one of you puked up that unicorn poo poo?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I hate how true this is in San Diego. We have an awesome brewing scene that I can barely enjoy because I'm so loving sick of IPAs. For every two dozen super-hoppy bitter fuckers there's like one decent brown ale or stout.

Remember, if you cant make a good ipa, just shovel on the hops until they overwhelm anything else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Whoever drank one, technically

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

beer used to be fun

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
I remember a story a few years back about a woman whose car got repoed with her kid still in it. One thing that stood out (besides the fact that the repo men didn't notice a crying toddler in a car seat in the back) was the fact that the car was a used car with incredibly sketchy financing that required mom to pay weekly cash payments to the used car dealership.

People have been talking about how 20% interest on a used car is nuts, just imagine how much of a ripoff you are getting if the dealer demands you pay them cash EVERY WEEK or they take the car back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Devonaut posted:

No but beer isn't like frozen yogurt, cupcakes, or other fad franchise ideas that have faded fast

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I remember a story a few years back about a woman whose car got repoed with her kid still in it. One thing that stood out (besides the fact that the repo men didn't notice a crying toddler in a car seat in the back) was the fact that the car was a used car with incredibly sketchy financing that required mom to pay weekly cash payments to the used car dealership.

People have been talking about how 20% interest on a used car is nuts, just imagine how much of a ripoff you are getting if the dealer demands you pay them cash EVERY WEEK or they take the car back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkzLqGkw1Y

worth the whole 8 minutes but skip to 7:28 for the best part whoops that's not the best part at all I meant 1:45

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 10, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FAUXTON posted:

No but beer isn't like frozen yogurt, cupcakes, or other fad franchise ideas that have faded fast

Ah yes, the passing fad of "beer", invented by literally every civilization since the ancient sumerians

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

epic bird guy posted:

beer used to be fun

Beer is still fun, just don't be that guy about it and ignore the overpriced bullshit. There is no better time in human history to enjoy beer than right now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

Beer is still fun, just don't be that guy about it and ignore the overpriced bullshit. There is no better time in human history to enjoy beer than right now.

It's definitely been BWM and BWL (Bad With Liver) but working the past few years in the brewery district in my town has been awesome.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

epic bird guy posted:

worth the whole 8 minutes but skip to 7:28 for the best part whoops that's not the best part at all I meant 1:45

You weren't kidding, that's a pro-click.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The reason people are willing to pay 20% interest is because either 1) they don't know any better, or 2) they can't do any better, and they need a loving car, because :911:.

It's not like we go out of our way in this country to make people financially literate. We have whole industries that depend on that financial illiteracy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

IllegallySober posted:

Holy cannoli this one is amazing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

I can't follow what he is talking about depositing cash in people's bank accounts

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

epic bird guy posted:

6 min is pretty good. Because #JustFordThings.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I can't follow what he is talking about depositing cash in people's bank accounts

What he's saying is a customer would write him a bad check (insufficient funds) that wouldn't clear. He was friendly enough with bank tellers where they'd let him know about how much he'd have to put in to be able to clear the check, so he deposits $500 into that guy's account so he can cash the $3500 check. Presumably $3500 for this poo poo car was fat enough that the $500 still made the deal worth it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

DEMAG posted:

6 min is pretty good. Because #JustFordThings.

Yeah I liked that bit too, the whole video was good honestly. Interesting model.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What he's saying is a customer would write him a bad check (insufficient funds) that wouldn't clear. He was friendly enough with bank tellers where they'd let him know about how much he'd have to put in to be able to clear the check, so he deposits $500 into that guy's account so he can cash the $3500 check. Presumably $3500 for this poo poo car was fat enough that the $500 still made the deal worth it.

genius

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Krispy Wafer posted:

My cube neighbor. I just work on at-home products (K-Cups etc).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

It really is.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

At a decent bank they won't tell you this info. But then what happens is the dude deposits a dollar at a time until he can cash if if he thinks he is close.

therobit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 10, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh I get it. Cleaning their bank account out even if the check was bad. My bank does not allow you to deposit cash in the random people's checking accounts, they stopped this some time ago. I used to have tenants that would pay me rent like this. The potential for abuse and money laundering with this kind of arrangement is very high as you can see.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The microbrewery thing has gone on for a surprisingly long time and done actual damage to big breweries to the extent where the only way they can grow their markets is to merge or gobble up microbreweries.

Still really like Miller High Life. Still don't care what anyone else thinks.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

My cube neighbor. I just work on at-home products (K-Cups etc).

And the beer derail is itself derailed when the guy responsible for K-Cups pops in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Oh I get it. Cleaning their bank account out even if the check was bad. My bank does not allow you to deposit cash in the random people's checking accounts, they stopped this some time ago. I used to have tenants that would pay me rent like this. The potential for abuse and money laundering with this kind of arrangement is very high as you can see.

If has a check, he has an account number, and could presumably just fill out a deposit slip. Does your bank really ID for deposits?

I'm not sure I would say it is abusive to get what you can out of someone who wrote you a hot check.