Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ooh. Shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hell yeah that rules. it's the less excessively blinged version and it's a lot more tasteful than mine is

the neck finish is so good

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The three words that set my heart afire. :swoon:

I've only got four MIJ guitars! I need more, more!:psypop:

EDIT - Four and a half, my Harmony/Silvertone has a 70s Japanese Epiphone neck, which is entirely appropriate since I was inspired to get a semi-hollow by the movie Six String Samurai.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 25, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

muike posted:

the neck finish is so good

it's sooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Impulse bought this tonight.

It was used at guitar center but like new condition. I already have a hollow fretless but this was different enough that I pulled the trigger...45 days to figure out if I keep it or not. Mainly I just have to think, what else could I spend 800 bucks on that I would get more use out of? I have always liked Godins. I had a Multiac Jazz guitar years ago that I unfortunately sold but the electronics are always well thought out and they feel great, great necks etc. I put TI's on it since I have some boxes laying around (I don't like chromes and that was what was on there) but I might put on black tape wound strings at some point - it is very much an electric bass sound and I would like something mellower. I need to let the TI strings settle for a bit first.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Holy hell, that's a work of art you've got there. How does that palm rest thingo on the side feel?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It feels good but it will mainly just be for show because I don't anchor my thumb while playing since I use it as a third finger if I need to do a quick string jump or to play fast. I like the way it looks, though, so I'm glad it's there. What I am really amazed about is how full and clear it sounds with the piezo pickups - it is not brittle or glassy like I usually expect with them. I thought I would blend the magnetic pickup with it but honestly I will probably be using the piezo most of the time. It is certainly nice to have the bridge pickup though for other options. I think they really did a great job designing this thing. They also have a fretted version - I am very curious how that sounds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's funny how I just now realized that's the first Godin bass I've seen or at least seen and thought about. They make beautiful instruments and that's no different. I'd love to try one out sometime.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Stuff's been arriving this week for the Epi. I think I have everything sans control cavity covers, which should arrive Friday. I test fit the bridge and tailpiece to confirm I didn't order the wrong ones. Should be a fun weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alleric posted:

Stuff's been arriving this week for the Epi. I think I have everything sans control cavity covers, which should arrive Friday. I test fit the bridge and tailpiece to confirm I didn't order the wrong ones. Should be a fun weekend.

Nice! Are you replacing the pots too? Gibson knobs don't fit Epi pots, I presume you are as it looks like a total refit :)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's funny how I just now realized that's the first Godin bass I've seen or at least seen and thought about. They make beautiful instruments and that's no different. I'd love to try one out sometime.

Yeah those Godin basses are pretty cool. They also make the Shifter, which is a more traditional electric bass.

I really like the idea of their Multiac instruments too, especially the unusual ones like the Multioud and Glissentar. Can't really justify buying one, but it seems like they'd be really fun to play.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A lot of Godin stuff is quietly nice. I like my all-laminate Seagull acoustic for noodling, it's comfortable, doesn't sound bad, and was cheap enough that if something awful happens to it... well, I'd be sad because I like my belongings but you know. Relatively. :v:

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Speaking of Seagull stuff, I just picked up one of their Merlin instruments to have something simple to noodle around with while travelling. Although I guess now they've re-branded it as the S4 to match the rest of their naming schemes, which is kind of lame. Naming quibbles aside, the thing is lots of fun for how little it costs. With 5 minutes of watching some YouTube tutorials I could bust out a simple version of Hotel California, so I'm calling it a successful purchase.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

peter gabriel posted:

Nice! Are you replacing the pots too? Gibson knobs don't fit Epi pots, I presume you are as it looks like a total refit :)

The rundown:

500k CTS pots all around (I'll be drilling out the pot holes to 10mm)
Switchcraft 3-way switch (I'll be drilling out the switch hole to 1/2 inch)
Orange Drop .022 caps x 2
Gotoh TOM bridge, metric
Gotoh TOM tailpiece, metric
Gibson amber knobs
StewMac generic cream pickup shrouds
StewMac somethingsomethingbrand chrome jack cover
Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker Set (Jazz/JB)
Guitarfetish OEM "import" control cavity covers

Basically the only things that aren't getting replaced are the nut and tuners... for now. I'm going to be wiring it per vintage specs, not for any love for "old stuff", but I've read it's brighter to have the volumes come first in the circuit. We'll see I guess.

I got anxious that I ordered the wrong bridge and tailpiece, so I test fit them right off the other night. Success!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
The bridge and tailpiece look ace, man. Gotoh makes great stuff. Are they nickel or chrome finished? Also, if I may ask, why are you replacing the control cavity covers?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alleric posted:

The rundown:

500k CTS pots all around (I'll be drilling out the pot holes to 10mm)
Switchcraft 3-way switch (I'll be drilling out the switch hole to 1/2 inch)
Orange Drop .022 caps x 2
Gotoh TOM bridge, metric
Gotoh TOM tailpiece, metric
Gibson amber knobs
StewMac generic cream pickup shrouds
StewMac somethingsomethingbrand chrome jack cover
Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker Set (Jazz/JB)
Guitarfetish OEM "import" control cavity covers

Basically the only things that aren't getting replaced are the nut and tuners... for now. I'm going to be wiring it per vintage specs, not for any love for "old stuff", but I've read it's brighter to have the volumes come first in the circuit. We'll see I guess.

I got anxious that I ordered the wrong bridge and tailpiece, so I test fit them right off the other night. Success!

Nice! I got the Gotoh stuff for a Sheraton and they really are good

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Carbohydrates posted:

The bridge and tailpiece look ace, man. Gotoh makes great stuff. Are they nickel or chrome finished? Also, if I may ask, why are you replacing the control cavity covers?

1. They're nickel.

2. Facebook marketplace find for 30 bucks. Everything I've ordered is replacing something that wasn't there (bridge, tailpiece, bridge pickup, control cavity covers), or something a previous owner borked (anything to do with wiring). It basically came to me as a functional body/neck with tuners and a nut. Everything else was either missing or suspect.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Awesome. Nickel hardware is beautiful. Also, that's a hell of a score.

Speaking of Gotoh, I just got these Gotoh SD90-MG tuners for my CR8 and they're dooooope. They're impossibly light (only 1 extra gram per tuner) and look perfect. Direct swap, no drilling, and I got to use the original screws and bushings.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Carbohydrates posted:

Awesome. Nickel hardware is beautiful. Also, that's a hell of a score.

Speaking of Gotoh, I just got these Gotoh SD90-MG tuners for my CR8 and they're dooooope. They're impossibly light (only 1 extra gram per tuner) and look perfect. Direct swap, no drilling, and I got to use the original screws and bushings.

Looks good. I dig the look of vintage-style tuners, but at the same time they just appear so delicate to me. I figure here in a couple months I'll probably get 18:1 Grover 502's for the Epi. And yeah, I'm ~270 in on it right now in the hopes that by the time I'm done it'll be something fun.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Well that's cool!

Looks extremely similar. I'm particularly impressed they kept the body angles and inlays intact. Shame about the maple neck, but that's expected and understandable. Looks like a very good budget iteration.

The Sterling version is going to be $599. I'm very interested.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Shrouds shaped, pickups installed, wiring is done. I'll get to stringing it and setting it up tonight or tomorrow.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Aw yeah

I was mistaken about this being the only St. Vincent in this color - in actuality, this guitar in this finish is a dealer exclusive for Cream City Music, and the pictures on their page are of a different serial # than this one, so there's at least a couple of these kicking around. Still, it owns. Haven't had time to really play it today, so no opinions on the pickups yet, but this neck is awesome. This guitar is less than 7 lbs, too.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Carbohydrates posted:

Aw yeah

I was mistaken about this being the only St. Vincent in this color - in actuality, this guitar in this finish is a dealer exclusive for Cream City Music, and the pictures on their page are of a different serial # than this one, so there's at least a couple of these kicking around. Still, it owns. Haven't had time to really play it today, so no opinions on the pickups yet, but this neck is awesome. This guitar is less than 7 lbs, too.

Nnnnnnggggghhh :gizz:

Nice axe, man. I don't regret getting mine in the blue, but I kinda want one in the burst now, too... :homebrew:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Carbohydrates posted:

Aw yeah

I love those guitars. I'll prolly never own one, but I think they look killer in pretty much any finish. Nice score.

Alleric posted:

Shrouds shaped, pickups installed, wiring is done. I'll get to stringing it and setting it up tonight or tomorrow.

Strung up, set up. I'm sure the neck will move a bit in the coming days. Lord knows how long it sat without strings. I am now reminded of why I hate non-locking tuners. I know what I'm asking for for my birthday. :P

Christ on a crutch this thing is kind of beastly. Sends my normal clean settings into smooth crunch with a wonderful mid hump. The JB wants to throw overtones for daaaaaaaaays.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Carbohydrates posted:

Aw yeah

Bleeeergh.... Now you need to start deciding which whiskeys to pair that thing with. And to start up some brasspunk/neo-noir project so you can dress like a private eye with a raygun.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That cavity cover looks like a robot face

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I started off disliking those guitars and now I really want one. I have done a complete 180 ha ha

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno if I'd buy one but they look extremely fun to play. Firebird-ish stuff like that is very comfy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goons, how many pictures would be considered OK for a single post? Or should I break it up in several posts? I bought a lot of stuff in the last year that I don't think I posted about it at all in here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wark Say posted:

Goons, how many pictures would be considered OK for a single post? Or should I break it up in several posts? I bought a lot of stuff in the last year that I don't think I posted about it at all in here.

:justpost:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All righty, then! This is gonna be one heckuva wall of death text + pics post, so here's hoping that at least it entertains some of you.

In 2016, I bought/received a TON of musical gear. A lot of it has basically become my go-to gear for guitar and I think I'm pretty much going to be set when it comes to "small show / hired gun" stuff. So, first off. Let's start with the guitars:

I got two of those three guitars last year. From left to right there's a Larrivée RS-2, a LTD SC-607B and a Surfdestroyer Coeurl.

So, I do believe I've spoken about the Larrivée RS-2 in previous posts, but after having it for over 6 months now, I've discovered that, unless I can get a Mayones or a guitar of that ilk, I'm pretty much set as far as "all-rounder" guitars go. A couple of months ago, a left-handed dude from a band I recorded tried it and told me that this sounded better than his Paul Reed Smiths. He ended up recording like 90% of his parts on it and he tried to convince me to sell it to him. Again, this guitar can do it all. The set of Lollar pickups it has allows it such a malleability of sound that I find hard to put this guitar down. I pretty much play it every day. It also weights 6 pounds, but it sounds like a guitar twice the weight.

The LTD Stef Carpenter baritone 7-string guitar that a previous boss of mine reserved for me. It basically arrived a month after I got the Larrivée and it's such a fun guitar to play. After touching base with my childhood friend / former guitar tech, he encouraged me to go really extreme and I ended up tuning it like an 8-string (from lowest to highest: F#-B-E-A-D-F#-B). The FIshman pickups are a perfect fit for the chugga-chugga, palm-muted, triplet-playing part of me that wants to play like one of them Djent guys. I also kinda understand why the Animals as Leaders dude does a ton of flamenco/spanish-like guitar picking and slapping: Huge necks are super fun if you can do finger / chicken picking!

At some point during the tour when my boss reserved this guitar for me, I actually met the guy from Unearth/Fishman who ended up giving me two more pickup sets of those Fluence pups. I ended up leaving one of them in my old beat-up Hagström, but the ones in this gal are MONSTROUS.

And finally, the Jazzmaster-esque Surfdestroyer, which I got because I saw it and the guy who sold it to me actually built it himself. You can see more technical details for the guitar here. Basically? It plays like a Jazzmaster, but it has a certain... piss and vinegar quality that lends itself to the kind of noisy, Sleater-Kinney / Fugazi / Pixies kinda sound really well. My local guitar-repair guy and I fixed some of the things to allow it to work on a live environment better and the tuning has become ten-times more stable (though if there's the possibility that mastery bridges exist for lefties, I would probably go for that in a heartbeat). The poo poo-load of sonic options the three switches it has allows is nuts. To name them quickly:
  • 2 Volume knobs.
  • Push-pull that's active for both the neck and bridge pickups.
  • A switch to put the pickups in and out of phase.
It's a really fierce-sounding guitar. The only downside is that it's really heavy. Otherwise, it's pretty much radness incarnate and in a current struggle against my Larrivée to see who's the cooler kid in the house.

Last month, my girlfriend and yours truly were peeping a local hardware store and we found that there were a bunch of offers on stuff we both wanted. Like a block forward from there, there's the store from which I originally got the Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb head (pictured on top) that I ended up taking on tour last year. When I asked them why they hadn't brought more Mesa stuff, they told me that they had lost the "official dealer" status for Mesa/Boogie in México, since nobody was buying them because "nobody knows them that well aside from you and 2 other guys", which was kind of a bummer. Then he told me that in their other store, they had a bunch of Mesa NOS, so the next day I went to check it out. They had two Transatlantic heads and the fella you're seeing up there: A Mesa Boogie Express + 5:25 1x12 combo. For less than a half of the original price than what I've seen them online.

Sound-wise, it reminds me A LOT of my Mark heads (I have 2 Mark IV's and 1 Mark V), even if this is way more basic, as far as controls go. The 5 band EQ and solo control open a TON OF OPTIONS. The only downside is that there wasn't a 8-pin din cable included for the footswitch and the one I got from an eBay store ended up not working well (it only allows you to control EQ, Solo and Reverb on channel 2, so I pretty much stopped using it as recommended by the Mesa tech support guys, who agreed to send me one of their own cables to try it). Fortunately, every function has an external switching jack in the back panel and a foot-controller has allowed me access to everything with zero problems.

Line 6 M13 Multi-Effects pedalboard. Got it for like US$150 from the aforementioned tour last year. Delays, Reverbs and Modulation are all infuriatingly good. It's such a fun little Multi-FX. I 4-cable'd this a long time ago.

Majestic Shawk Pedals Major Tom delay. Built by one of our own, Goon JohnnySmitch. It drops the volume a bit, but it's afun little fucker that allows for some crazy delay oscillation. Pretty much keep this at home.

Digitech The Drop. This pedal has made gigging life easier. As long as you're in tune, this fucker can help you drop-tune in a jiffy. Out of the 3 pedals that I tried (Morpheus Drop Tune, EHX Pitch Fork and this), it was this guy that made the best impression. The latency / lag / whatchamacallit does start to surface at around the 6th semi tone down, but otherwise, solid pedal.

Electro-Harmonix East River Drive. I originally bought this for my girlfriend because she used to employ a Tubescreamer for her bass, but when she couldn't find her old one, she insisted that I bought one new so she could have it. I read somewhere that this and the Soul Food were basically Electro-Harmonix attempts to cater to people who wanted a Tubescreamer and Klon Centaur clones for cheap. My girlfriend ended up finding her ol' Tubescreamer around a month ago, so now I get to keep this.

So, yeah: A buncha stuff! Enjoy your weekend! (and sorry for the blurry pics; I leave much to be desired as a photographer)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cool more reasons for me to desperately want a set of Fluences!!!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Wark Say posted:

(though if there's the possibility that mastery bridges exist for lefties, I would probably go for that in a heartbeat)

As far as I can tell, Mastery bridges are symetrical so that shouldn't be a problem?

Related to that, I've come into some money and am trying to work out a non-mastery (don't have THAT much money) bridge replacement for my Jazzmaster - I really liked how solid my LPs tuneomatic felt in there when I tried it out during a string change, but the non rocking and non-adjustability doesn't really work. Anyone know of a solid alternative?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The two main Mastery bridge alternatives for Jazzmasters are a Mustang bridge or a Staytrem bridge. Neither of these have individual string height adjustments, but you can purchase the radius that best matches the Jazzmaster rather than TOM's default 12" radius. The Mustang bridge very slightly widens the distance between all the strings, so both E strings will end up closer to the edge of the fretboard. Some people don't mind the slight change in width, since this was the popular replacement choice before third parties built other alternatives. The Staytrem is basically a refined Mustang bridge that is a few millimeters thinner in width so that the E strings fit better.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you want a Mustang bridge with string height adjustments them Warmoth make a kick rear end one:

http://www.warmoth.com/Modified-Mustang-Bridge-Chrome-P616.aspx

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cool more reasons for me to desperately want a set of Fluences!!!
They're pretty rad. I used to dislike active pickups because of the need for 9v batteries, but the USB charger takes care of that swimmingly.

monolithburger posted:

As far as I can tell, Mastery bridges are symetrical so that shouldn't be a problem?

Related to that, I've come into some money and am trying to work out a non-mastery (don't have THAT much money) bridge replacement for my Jazzmaster - I really liked how solid my LPs tuneomatic felt in there when I tried it out during a string change, but the non rocking and non-adjustability doesn't really work. Anyone know of a solid alternative?
Coolio! Now to figure out which one should I buy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Got shot of a Strat I never used in a trade for some cash (which went straight to pay off some unforeseen bills) and a Tele. I really didn't enjoy the CV Telecaster I had a few years ago - it felt super vanilla and very boring. This time however, I was captivated. The playability was excellent, it had been dinged and scratched and felt great. Of course, it looked like fried horse-poo poo with a Nashville Deluxe middle pickup, cream pearloid guard and fifteen years of finger scum on every surface. After changing the guard for a bakelite one, and the pickups to a Broadcaster set, it looks and plays great now:

(Video and sound clip in the Guitar thread)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 2, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I got a Katana head. Holy loving poo poo this thing sounds amazing.

Anyone want to buy a Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Southern Heel posted:

Got shot of a Strat I never used in a trade for some cash (which went straight to pay off some unforeseen bills) and a Tele. I really didn't enjoy the CV Telecaster I had a few years ago - it felt super vanilla and very boring. This time however, I was captivated. The playability was excellent, it had been dinged and scratched and felt great. Of course, it looked like fried horse-poo poo with a Nashville Deluxe middle pickup, cream pearloid guard and fifteen years of finger scum on every surface. After changing the guard for a bakelite one, and the pickups to a Broadcaster set, it looks and plays great now:

(Video and sound clip in the Guitar thread)
Gonna quote myself here.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

...Fender Blackout Telecaster...

How come you didn't want to keep the 3 pickup setup it had?