Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Birth control is abortion now. Protestants were fine with it before, but in their need to make everything associated with Obama evil, they decided it was abortion. We have always been at war with Eurasia against birth control.

It scares me to think about how good they are at getting people to hate stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr Christmas posted:

Birth control is abortion now. Protestants were fine with it before

This is not entirely true. Quiverfull has been around since the 1930s. If you remember the Duggars, the people with 19 kids, they were getting famous during the Bush administration.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is not entirely true. Quiverfull has been around since the 1930s. If you remember the Duggars, the people with 19 kids, they were getting famous during the Bush administration.

True, but the ideas behind evangelical opposition have changed. Before, it was "birth control is bad because it will tempt good girls to have icky sex before marriage." Now it's "birth control is bad because it's literally abortion." What's even stranger is that forty years ago being anti-abortion was a Catholic thing and most evangelicals didn't think it was a problem.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wang_Tang posted:

This guy was in the military, but seems to not remember that your average soldier is equipped with semi-automatic rifles of the same model as civilians. Difference being there's a three-round burst option whos use is highly discouraged.

Also the whole bit where if the military feels they might lose dudes attacking your house and there's nothing in your house they particularly care to keep, they will blow it up from a mile away. Not to mention the myriad of ways they have to neutralize you if they don't feel like leveling your block.

The KEEP YOUR POWER DRY folks seem to be stuck in the mindset that the military still wears bright red coats and forms up in firing lines.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While QF believed that birth control was bad in the latter sense, the number of adherents to it is pretty small and they're an outlier as far as Protestants go, so yeah, you and Doc Christmas are correct. I just wanted to point out that not all Protestants have been fine with birth control, just the majority of them.

However, I do feel like I should point out that Protestant acceptance of birth control is actually pretty recent all things considered, before the 20th century there were practically no Christian denominations that supported birth control, and major figures such as Martin Luther and John Calvin were pretty strongly against it. Luther said that those who didn't want children "deserve that their memory be blotted out from the land of the living" and Calvin called it a "monstrous thing" and actually explicitly compared it to abortion.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So your semi-auto rifle with 30 rounds is going to stop 9+ guys with full auto rifles with 30 rounds? That's definitely believable and reasonable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

1stGear posted:

Also the whole bit where if the military feels they might lose dudes attacking your house and there's nothing in your house they particularly care to keep, they will blow it up from a mile away. Not to mention the myriad of ways they have to neutralize you if they don't feel like leveling your block.

The KEEP YOUR POWER DRY folks seem to be stuck in the mindset that the military still wears bright red coats and forms up in firing lines.

Honestly, the best response I can think of to that kind of idiotic meme is simply to point out that even America already draws lines on what 'arms' you are and aren't allowed to have. You can't have your own F-16, you can't have your own Abrams tank, you can't have your own Apache helicopter, you can't have your own Javelin missile launcher, you can't have your own aircraft carrier, and you can't have your own Predator drone. Considering those are the tools that a patriotic militia would really need to fight against the nebulous 'government' they're so afraid of, which has all of those and more, the fact that such a line already exists is pretty telling evidence that the second amendment is completely useless if one tries to apply it to an armed anti-government revolution. All pro-gun control advocates want to do is open a discussion about moving that line a little more. Since everyone has already tacitly admitted that that line needs to exist (I don't see any gun advocates yelling and screaming about how they need their own TOW missile launcher and Bradley IFV), it really should be a debate about degrees of restriction rather than black and white 'all guns or no guns'. But it's not.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Wang_Tang posted:

poo poo like this pisses me off. Is feminism always about abortion? As far as I've seen, reproductive rights were a recent addition thanks to advances in medicine and obstetrics over the last century.

I read this wrong at first and thought they meant by wearing a cross she was advocating crucifixions. v:shobon:v

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

I've been shaming friends on my FB by pointing out how fast they went from "Oh no those poor kids!" To "By gawd they're gonn take our guns!" It's honestly sickening to see someone go from supportive to nut job gun wacko in less than a week.

In a debate on Germany and the whole guns thing, I got called a Wikipedia History Teacher because the guy thought that it was impossible for a college-educated person like me to know a lot about history itself. It was only my major, rear end in a top hat!

On my FB, they changed in the same post. "What happened in CT was a tragedy, BUT we will not let Obama take our guns!"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Honestly, the best response I can think of to that kind of idiotic meme is simply to point out that even America already draws lines on what 'arms' you are and aren't allowed to have. You can't have your own F-16, you can't have your own Abrams tank, you can't have your own Apache helicopter, you can't have your own Javelin missile launcher, you can't have your own aircraft carrier, and you can't have your own Predator drone. Considering those are the tools that a patriotic militia would really need to fight against the nebulous 'government' they're so afraid of, which has all of those and more, the fact that such a line already exists is pretty telling evidence that the second amendment is completely useless if one tries to apply it to an armed anti-government revolution. All pro-gun control advocates want to do is open a discussion about moving that line a little more. Since everyone has already tacitly admitted that that line needs to exist (I don't see any gun advocates yelling and screaming about how they need their own TOW missile launcher and Bradley IFV), it really should be a debate about degrees of restriction rather than black and white 'all guns or no guns'. But it's not.

Even if they were legal to own, only a few very rich people would be able to buy any of those things, and even then it wouldn't be in quantities that would make any sort of difference against a real military, especially against one as well funded as the USA's.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

ponzicar posted:

Even if they were legal to own, only a few very rich people would be able to buy any of those things, and even then it wouldn't be in quantities that would make any sort of difference against a real military, especially against one as well funded as the USA's.

Yeah, if you're rich enough to afford those arms, you probably understand that you can make more money working within the system than trying to overthrow it. You don't get to Warren Buffet or Koch Brothers levels without knowing how to do a cost-benefit analysis.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

vyelkin posted:

Honestly, the best response I can think of to that kind of idiotic meme is simply to point out that even America already draws lines on what 'arms' you are and aren't allowed to have. You can't have your own F-16, you can't have your own Abrams tank, you can't have your own Apache helicopter, you can't have your own Javelin missile launcher, you can't have your own aircraft carrier, and you can't have your own Predator drone.
You can own any of those. You just can't convince Raytheon or General Dynamics to sell you one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I finally unfriended someone on Facebook because he posted up to twenty memes a day about how Obama's Hope and Change was to hope to take away our guns and change this country to a Muslim pit of lazy black people.

I've come up with a solution to the guns thing. You want armed teachers in your schools? Fine. You want unarmed guards? Fine. But instead of pointing fingers at gun nuts, at liberals, at 'acts of terror that didn't happen cause someone had a gun!,' let's just shrug and say that laws clearly don't prevent crime, so we don't need them anymore! It's fine if you want to steal, because the laws against theft don't work if you still try to rob a bank. It's fine if you kill someone because the laws against that don't make you stop and wonder if you should.

Total lawlessness! It works on The Walking Dead!

Laws against child molestation, rape, murder, drug use, and how to get guns clearly don't work. The solution then, since increasing the laws doesn't lower the crime, is to lower the laws to zero, and then it has to work, right?

Do the no-gun-legislation people really really think everyone should have a gun? Or just white Christians? Clearly if They (Muslims, gays, Jews, anyone not a White Christian) had guns, we would be in a world of hurt!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ponzicar posted:

You'd also have to buy all the support equipment/staff required to operate and maintain any of those.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
Even a lot of the people for stronger gun control went "huh?" with this one:

Edit: original link was broken

CB_Tube_Knight fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Even a lot of the people for stronger gun control went "huh?" with this one:

http://imageshack.us/a/img829/3176/30752550919291911464988.jpg

I'm going "huh?" too at your broken link.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I kept wondering why the image post wasn't working, I copied the link from the source but I'll just re-host it somewhere else.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The ol' Charley Reese's last column was also included in this, but this little ditty was at the end of a cousin-in-law's posting.

quote:

What you do with this article now that you have read it... is up to you.
This might be funny if it weren't so true.
Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his rear end.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the heck happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
I hope this goes around THE USA at least 545 times!!! YOU can help it get there!!!

GO AHEAD. . . BE AN AMERICAN!!!

I love how some of these things didn't exist or were new technology in 1913 (at least in rural America, where Mr. Cousin-in-law is from).

And some of these taxes did exist then. Like the school tax. Counties levied a tax at a certain amount of mills per district to keep the little rural schools open. If it weren't for the state and federal governments finally taking some control, they'd likely still be scattered all over the place with zero technology because the local districts couldn't afford to improve them at all.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The ol' Charley Reese's last column was also included in this, but this little ditty was at the end of a cousin-in-law's posting.

I love how some of these things didn't exist or were new technology in 1913 (at least in rural America, where Mr. Cousin-in-law is from).

And some of these taxes did exist then. Like the school tax. Counties levied a tax at a certain amount of mills per district to keep the little rural schools open. If it weren't for the state and federal governments finally taking some control, they'd likely still be scattered all over the place with zero technology because the local districts couldn't afford to improve them at all.

Around tax
Never relax.

That's all I got out of this poem.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

Selfish modern Moms, having a job because households often need two adults working just to make ends meet or they're a single parent because they hate America.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What I've noticed--and this has been driven home in the last day by a particularly stupid facebook argument--is that some people will tell you that America is NUMBER ONE, we have the best everything, all other countries envy us, God favors us, etc... but if you bring up taxes, suddenly America is a dystopia and taxes are literally racketeering and all Americans are slaves, simply because they personally don't get a direct benefit from every single taxpayer-funded program out there.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Dammit, mom.

Best of all the website it sources isn't just all for natural cures but it's also creationist!
http://www.truehealthandhealing.org/evolution-the-big-lie.html

To my mom's credit, she usually just shares things her friends like to be nice.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Leospeare posted:

What I've noticed--and this has been driven home in the last day by a particularly stupid facebook argument--is that some people will tell you that America is NUMBER ONE, we have the best everything, all other countries envy us, God favors us, etc... but if you bring up taxes, suddenly America is a dystopia and taxes are literally racketeering and all Americans are slaves, simply because they personally don't get a direct benefit from every single taxpayer-funded program out there.

I never seem to get past them claiming America is number one in everything. The lists and rankings that say otherwise are propaganda. But I have more and more reason to believe that these people aren't right in the head or something because a lot of the arguments they make will often directly contradict one another and when you show them where they said what they said before, they won't acknowledge it.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Apparently this is what happens when a Katawa Shoujo fan is right-wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svB_dWTBLY4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I never seem to get past them claiming America is number one in everything. The lists and rankings that say otherwise are propaganda. But I have more and more reason to believe that these people aren't right in the head or something because a lot of the arguments they make will often directly contradict one another and when you show them where they said what they said before, they won't acknowledge it.

I talked to someone the other day who legitimately thought that the U.S. was still the world leader in science and technology. I didn't have any statistics to cite, but the only thing I can imagine the U.S. might be on top of is the sheer amount of money we throw around, regardless of the results. I find it hard to believe that we are leading anything in that field when our House Committee on Science is literally using the Bible as a playbook.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Ror posted:

I talked to someone the other day who legitimately thought that the U.S. was still the world leader in science and technology. I didn't have any statistics to cite, but the only thing I can imagine the U.S. might be on top of is the sheer amount of money we throw around, regardless of the results. I find it hard to believe that we are leading anything in that field when our House Committee on Science is literally using the Bible as a playbook.

Actually the US university research system is in fact pretty awesome despite the fact some members of the science committee thought we may run out of wind if we constructed too many wind turbines

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

You use "nature's flu shot" after you have the flu?

So there is no way at all to prevent yourself getting the flu. But nature has a remedy, humanity just had to find it through trial and error while surviving the flu. You want it? Okay! The ingredients are scattered across the globe.

Nature is a Bond villain.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rose Wreck posted:

You use "nature's flu shot" after you have the flu?

So there is no way at all to prevent yourself getting the flu. But nature has a remedy, humanity just had to find it through trial and error while surviving the flu. You want it? Okay! The ingredients are scattered across the globe.

Nature is a Bond villain.

Even better yet, it they are telling to to take it until the flu stops. So it doesn't work? :confused:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ratbert90 posted:

Even better yet, it they are telling to to take it until the flu stops. So it doesn't work? :confused:

It's a really common way to scam stupid people. Illnesses don't last forever so just tell them that they're supposed to take the snake oil until the illness is over, and then we're in a magic tiger rock situation where they go 'well it ended when I was drinking this nasty rear end lemon garlic juice, musta been that!'

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

Apparently this is what happens when a Katawa Shoujo fan is right-wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svB_dWTBLY4

Obama shoots anime characters? drat, I really did vote for the right guy.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

KillerJunglist posted:

Obama shoots anime characters? drat, I really did vote for the right guy.

I love how random his murder of Emi seems.

:obama: "Well why not?"

:commissar:

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
This was posted on facebook by a guy who regularly posts illuminati crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9GxXYKx_8

Wanted to find out if anyone on the forums were talking about it and somewhere to post it but the thread on Sandy Hook is gone. Just want to see what you guys think of it. I didn't watch the whole thing but why do people make these? :smith:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Blowdryer posted:

This was posted on facebook by a guy who regularly posts illuminati crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9GxXYKx_8

Wanted to find out if anyone on the forums were talking about it and somewhere to post it but the thread on Sandy Hook is gone. Just want to see what you guys think of it. I didn't watch the whole thing but why do people make these? :smith:

I really wish people would knock this poo poo off.

I mean, come on. It's 20 kids getting slaughtered.

Can't you find a better incident to feed your "uber ebil gubmint, gunna take ARE GUNZ :freep:"-addled mind?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pitch posted:

You can own any of those. You just can't convince Raytheon or General Dynamics to sell you one.

No, you can't have an Abrams tank with an operable guided shell, or a Javelin/MANPAD with an IR-guided missile. Nor can you have a drone armed with a weapon. These things are definitely buildable, yet not legal to own, funny that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

I really wish people would knock this poo poo off.

I mean, come on. It's 20 kids getting slaughtered.

Can't you find a better incident to feed your "uber ebil gubmint, gunna take ARE GUNZ :freep:"-addled mind?

See, if I were a gun-nut, I would think not that it was Obama, but some of his evil liberal supporters in the NRA. You know, the ones Obama appoints like he does everything else! Those People find other liberals, brainwash them into loving guns enough which breaks their liberal brain, and then Those People drop off that poor soul, armed and locked and loaded, to a movie theater or a school. Because when everyone gets shot, the Gun Nuts will scream, the NRA will scream, Obama and his cronies will scream back, and everyone pays attention to that and not to how Obama's lizard people Muslim Service put anti-gun traitors in the NRA.

I mean poo poo if we're going to go crazy, let's go balls to the wall nuts. Somehow tie in that because women can vote and read, and black people are people and not lawn equipment, that school shootings will rise until it happens every week in Christian schools with mass flag burnings too. And maybe gays get married too.

There has to be some way to incorporate all of the conservative base's thoughts together. I mean, short of gently caress You, Got Mine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

I think the Taliban is doing pretty well surviving against all of those technologies by just having better terrain knowledge of an area where a lot of them are a lot less effective than sending ground troops in - which is where terrain knowledge gives them the "dying less than the latest US military atrocity recruits for us". And they do that despite the fact that their guns are illegal.

So my real question is why are American tough-as-nails militia folk such crybabies compared to the Taliban?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think the Taliban is doing pretty well surviving against all of those technologies by just having better terrain knowledge of an area where a lot of them are a lot less effective than sending ground troops in - which is where terrain knowledge gives them the "dying less than the latest US military atrocity recruits for us". And they do that despite the fact that their guns are illegal.

So my real question is why are American tough-as-nails militia folk such crybabies compared to the Taliban?

And why do they keep voting to give their inevitable enemies more and more funding. If the reason we need guns so badly is to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government, maybe we should stop spending hundreds of billions of dollars to build up the very military the tyrants are going to use against us.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Saw this awesome pieces of poo poo posted on facebook:

Not sure why this enrages me so much, but this is coming from the same guy who thinks Sandy Hook is a false flag by the Gov't to take our guns.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 23, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Saw this awesome pieces of poo poo posted on facebook:

Not sure why this enrages me so much, but this is coming from the same guy who thinks Sandy Hook is a false flag by the Gov't to take our guns.

Well, an expansion of Food Stamps and school meals is a really good idea and one that should be pursued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well gosh, I sure don't want to stop gun murders from happening anymore and will get right to work on those issues I have literally no way of stopping