Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Truga posted:

no oled no buy

This is me not empty quoting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
OLEDs are vibrant but lol if anyone will actually bother to get them to accurately represent colors (e: most OLED smartphones and the original revision PS Vita do not do this)

I'm just happy that Monitor Jesus arrived to deliver silky moving objects with fewer jaggies.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 4, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

OLEDs are vibrant but lol if anyone will actually bother to get them to accurately represent colors (e: most OLED smartphones do not do this)

uhhhh
https://www.monitornerds.com/dell-up3017q-review-120hz-oled-4k-monitor/

quote:

the display is capable of 100% Adobe RGB gamut and 97.8% DCI-P3 color spaces

No freesync no buy though :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

OLEDs are vibrant but lol if anyone will actually bother to get them to accurately represent colors (e: most OLED smartphones and the original revision PS Vita do not do this)

LG claims that Technicolor is using their OLED TVs as reference monitors for movie work.

They can definitely be made to be accurate, it's just the standard "Best Buy calibration" problem.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I figure I'll be waiting a long, long time for monitors and devices where I can get the following:

• 32"+
  • Ultrawide
  • Curved
  • OLED
  • USB-C everything - no HDMI, no DP, no Thunderbolt.
  • G-Sync
  • Low input lag (hopefully something intrinsic with USB-C buses)
  • <$1200
Sadly, I think the G-Sync part is what'll keep it from reaching under $1200 because nVidia hates competition and loves money.

I can't go back to a regular ol' 1080p or even 4k monitor now, such a first world problem.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Id imagine almost all 34" monitors have internal power supplies. The problem will be the integrated kvm as most people dont need or want that-- why include it?. They seem to be very very rare and only in crappy crappy monitors. Just get a kvm box to the usb input on the monitor- You dont need it integrated.
My LG 34UM95P has a big power brick attached to it and I think even the newer LG 34" ultrawides have the same power setup. It has a pretty reliable KVM over both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt (why I bought it over the Dell U34xx series). All I have to do is switch between Thunderbolt for my Macbook Pro and HDMI or Displayport for my desktop. For Thunderbolt-less monitors, there are different USB upstreams indicated on the monitor, including the Dell series aforementioned.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Sadly, I think the G-Sync part is what'll keep it from reaching under $1200 because nVidia hates competition and loves money.

I wonder if they've finally spun an ASIC for the 3rd gen G-Sync board they're using in that Asus monitor. A big part of the G-Sync tax is that enormous expensive FPGA they use to drive the thing in lieu of an ASIC.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

necrobobsledder posted:

I can't go back to a regular ol' 1080p or even 4k monitor now, such a first world problem.
My LG 34UM95P has a big power brick attached to it and I think even the newer LG 34" ultrawides have the same power setup. It has a pretty reliable KVM over both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt (why I bought it over the Dell U34xx series). All I have to do is switch between Thunderbolt for my Macbook Pro and HDMI or Displayport for my desktop. For Thunderbolt-less monitors, there are different USB upstreams indicated on the monitor, including the Dell series aforementioned.

Wait really? That's new, the 34UM95 I had only had one USB upstream and one thunderbolt so if you wanted a different switch you were out of luck.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

xthetenth posted:

Wait really? That's new, the 34UM95 I had only had one USB upstream and one thunderbolt so if you wanted a different switch you were out of luck.
I think it does have the one USB upstream still, it's just that any devices connected via Thunderbolt can see any attached USB hardware, so it acted like a KVM of sorts.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

repiv posted:

Asus just won monitor spec bingo: 4K + 144hz + IPS + HDR + Gsync

No price announced it's obviously going to be obscene :smith:

If this were 32 inch I'd be on it for sure to replace my 32inch Acer that has a flicker. With 150% DPI scaling I can drop down to 100% for some things so that they don't get scaled or so they fit on the screen and still have text in images remain legible. I hate software.

Dropping down in physical monitor size is a bitter pill but I can probably stomach it for the refresh rate.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

xthetenth posted:

I'm not sure if I made it clear with what I wrote but you must switch between a Thunderbolt device or one attached to the USB 3.0 upstream. Can't switch downstream USB devices between an HDMI based input and Displayport, for example.

repiv posted:

I wonder if they've finally spun an ASIC for the 3rd gen G-Sync board they're using in that Asus monitor. A big part of the G-Sync tax is that enormous expensive FPGA they use to drive the thing in lieu of an ASIC.
Not sure if that'd make enough of a difference because the "G-Sync is expensive" mantra is pretty strong at this point. Furthermore, it'd probably piss off a lot of OEMs that have all that inventory of monitors they'll have to sell competing against the new stuff. On the other hand, a monitor with so many dang features it just has to be expensive like that Asus model could be a good candidate to avoid this dilemma.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

necrobobsledder posted:

Not sure if that'd make enough of a difference because the "G-Sync is expensive" mantra is pretty strong at this point. Furthermore, it'd probably piss off a lot of OEMs that have all that inventory of monitors they'll have to sell competing against the new stuff. On the other hand, a monitor with so many dang features it just has to be expensive like that Asus model could be a good candidate to avoid this dilemma.

The easy solution, assuming NVidia is at least moderately happy with the way GSync monitors are selling currently (and there's no reason to think they aren't) would be to simply not drop the MSRP in response to cheaper production costs and pocket the difference. That NVidia doesn't seem at all inclined to compete with FreeSync price-wise suggests that current sales figures are already acceptable, so why not bump their profit margin for a while? It would even give them future options to be able to drop the price of GSync monitors if they felt the need to counter AMD, and still be profiting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So the first DP 1.4 monitor coming out means monitors have completely skipped 1.3?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the predator still basically the king of all monitors

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

beergod posted:

This thing might give it a run for its money...since they'll cost around the same: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/hp-reveals-omen-x-35-curved-g-sync-monitor.html

Especially since it'll probably ship with the third-generation G-Sync module.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

beergod posted:

It still my perfect monitor and I never regret it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

repiv posted:

Asus just won monitor spec bingo: 4K + 144hz + IPS + HDR + Gsync

No price announced it's obviously going to be obscene :smith:

Considering 27' is the perfect size for the space I have this thing is just downright bananas.

Too bad it's literally gonna cost the price of a car by the time it's available in Brazil.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It still my perfect monitor and I never regret it.

Seriously, they are glorious in ways that are hard to express without personally experiencing them.

Sure they're hideously expensive, but I see that as a trade-off for only having to upgrade my CPU once in the last 6+ years, and that was only because of actual hardware failure (poor motherboard burned out a trace somehow).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Current monitor dream is something like http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor ie: 38" 21:9 3840x1600 widescreen cept with 100Hz+ refresh. GSync would be nice too I guess but I work from home and after using 144Hz for the last year, the silky smoothness on the desktop of 100Hz+ is just too nice. Honestly, if the 75Hz mode on that monitor worked with my NVidia card I'd be considering it.

I personally just haven't been convinced of the superiority of 4k pixel density. I use a 27" 60Hz one whenever I actually go into the office and can tell the difference, but I end up scaling similar to my 1440 and the text seems equally readable on both while the refresh drop is noticeable. Would much rather have expanded screen real estate with PPI similar to 27" 1440 with a high refresh rate.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
4k is an ok visual upgrade, but it's not nearly as substantial or noticeable for normal users as you'd think, considering the enormous PPI bumps compared to 1440/1080p. Unhappily, your GPU absolutely can tell the difference, and you need a beast of a system to push 4k at any sort of reasonable refresh rate. 4k100+ is SLI-1080 territory with settings turned down. SLI-Titans if you want to keep them turned up.

That said, high-hz is (to me) much more obvious and a quality-of-life improvement than 4k is, so given the choice I'd take 1440@100+ over 4k60 any day of the week.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

4k is an ok visual upgrade, but it's not nearly as substantial or noticeable for normal users as you'd think, considering the enormous PPI bumps compared to 1440/1080p. Unhappily, your GPU absolutely can tell the difference, and you need a beast of a system to push 4k at any sort of reasonable refresh rate. 4k100+ is SLI-1080 territory with settings turned down. SLI-Titans if you want to keep them turned up.

On the other hand, checkerboard rendering is beginning to show up in PC games now that the PS4 Pro has forced most developers to implement it in their engines.

It's not quite as good as native 4K, but "nearly 4K quality with slightly worse than 1440p performance" is a pretty good deal.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Okay there buddy...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I got a U2415 today and it's nice and all, but there's this weird yellow hue to everything no matter what values I change. Is this normal or did I get a lemon? :(

Edit:

Fine tuning the red and green values has helped somewhat, but the whites still look nowhere near as crisp as they do on my P2314H

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 5, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DrDork posted:

That said, high-hz is (to me) much more obvious and a quality-of-life improvement than 4k is, so given the choice I'd take 1440@100+ over 4k60 any day of the week.

For gaming that might be true, but if you use the PC for anything involving text 4k is such a massive upgrade that I don't see myself ever going back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That Asus 4K144 monitor will be $1200 and isn't shipping until Q3 :rip:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/04/rog-pg27uq-intro/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I currently have a Predator at 1440p/144Hz but I am considering a secondary 4K/60hz monitor for video and games that would benefit more from resolution rather than refresh like Civilization. What would be a good pairing? Or would it even be worth it, what is 4K film support like

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

I eagerly am awaiting how they plan to power a 12k resolution "screen" off a presumably mobile GPU at anything that even approaches playable framerates.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It honestly looks to be a really good DTR until you realize that the monitors fold out in a way that means you can't just open the lid and use one, you need to deploy the whole set. At that point, you'd better have three movies ready to go if you don't want to be the least popular person on the plane.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

Current monitor dream is something like http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor ie: 38" 21:9 3840x1600 widescreen cept with 100Hz+ refresh. GSync would be nice too I guess but I work from home and after using 144Hz for the last year, the silky smoothness on the desktop of 100Hz+ is just too nice. Honestly, if the 75Hz mode on that monitor worked with my NVidia card I'd be considering it.

I personally just haven't been convinced of the superiority of 4k pixel density. I use a 27" 60Hz one whenever I actually go into the office and can tell the difference, but I end up scaling similar to my 1440 and the text seems equally readable on both while the refresh drop is noticeable. Would much rather have expanded screen real estate with PPI similar to 27" 1440 with a high refresh rate.

All of these opinions are correct.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

xthetenth posted:

It honestly looks to be a really good DTR until you realize that the monitors fold out in a way that means you can't just open the lid and use one, you need to deploy the whole set. At that point, you'd better have three movies ready to go if you don't want to be the least popular person on the plane.

Pretty sure they've noted that you can utilize the "side" monitors at your option--by default they're stowed into the frame, and only pop out when you elect for them to (and pop out individually).

I mean, props to them for throwing a 1080M in there, but that already struggles with simple 4k gaming, let alone 12k. Might be useful for the budding movie editor or content creator who has a limitless corporate budget and needs to take his multi-monitor setup on the road with him all the time but doesn't actually need it to work on the road so much as at a hotel because hahaha enjoy that 1080's power profile, buddy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

I mean, props to them for throwing a 1080M in there, but that already struggles with simple 4k gaming, let alone 12k.

People don't game on the desktop at 12K either. You game in the centre and then have maps/browsers/discord/slack/etc on the side panel. When you're not gaming, that real estate is well-handled for browsing and Office by the 1080M.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Pretty sure they've noted that you can utilize the "side" monitors at your option--by default they're stowed into the frame, and only pop out when you elect for them to (and pop out individually).

I mean, props to them for throwing a 1080M in there, but that already struggles with simple 4k gaming, let alone 12k. Might be useful for the budding movie editor or content creator who has a limitless corporate budget and needs to take his multi-monitor setup on the road with him all the time but doesn't actually need it to work on the road so much as at a hotel because hahaha enjoy that 1080's power profile, buddy.

If the secondaries are rigged up behind the main that's cool and good and fits nicely into my ludicrous monitor fetish, the way it looked to me was like they folded over the middle one.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

xthetenth posted:

If the secondaries are rigged up behind the main that's cool and good and fits nicely into my ludicrous monitor fetish, the way it looked to me was like they folded over the middle one.

Your call on whether this really exists or it's all CGI smoke and mirrors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTtQvQR99q0

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Peanut3141 posted:

Your call on whether this really exists or it's all CGI smoke and mirrors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTtQvQR99q0

Oh, no that all makes sense, I wasn't able to watch the video earlier and had gotten a mistaken impression from the pictures. That's cool as hell and would be a good desktop replacement for a lot of people who current desktop replacements aren't a good fit for. I hope that catches on because I love seeing cool new stuff for niches.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Oh, no that all makes sense, I wasn't able to watch the video earlier and had gotten a mistaken impression from the pictures. That's cool as hell and would be a good desktop replacement for a lot of people who current desktop replacements aren't a good fit for. I hope that catches on because I love seeing cool new stuff for niches.

Personally it looks incredibly silly to me. I'd much rather have the holoband or wear a full on HMD rather than deploy my laptop wings anywhere in public. I give it a week after a potential release until a drink cart or Starbucks customer takes off a wing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Peanut3141 posted:

Personally it looks incredibly silly to me. I'd much rather have the holoband or wear a full on HMD rather than deploy my laptop wings anywhere in public. I give it a week after a potential release until a drink cart or Starbucks customer takes off a wing.

HMD is a better one in my opinion and just virtualize the screen real estate, however none of the uses I'm thinking about are sitting in a starbucks, they're about trying to get a proper mobile workstation for actual work into as portable a package as possible (and one that works where you can't leave part of it at a few places like a docking station setup). Stuff like offsite consultants who go to clients' facilities, people who just need to travel a lot as part of a job and work from a hotel room, that sort of thing. Sometimes I'd prefer mini-itx and HMD but a 1-3 screen laptop is a real compelling option overall.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DrDork posted:

Yeah same. I also have two 27" 1440 monitors on either side of my predator, one in portrait and the other in landscape. So much monitor :pcgaming:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xthetenth posted:

HMD is a better one in my opinion and just virtualize the screen real estate, however none of the uses I'm thinking about are sitting in a starbucks, they're about trying to get a proper mobile workstation for actual work into as portable a package as possible (and one that works where you can't leave part of it at a few places like a docking station setup). Stuff like offsite consultants who go to clients' facilities, people who just need to travel a lot as part of a job and work from a hotel room, that sort of thing. Sometimes I'd prefer mini-itx and HMD but a 1-3 screen laptop is a real compelling option overall.

Exactly. At some point in the future HoloLens will meet its promise and we'll just be able to put windows wherever in the world makes sense to us at the time.

Until then, being able to have two extra monitors when I'm deploying new things at a customer site and want to have say a few consoles, a browser, and Wireshark all visible at the same time would be a godsend.

I've actually brought full size standalone monitors with me in the past when I knew for sure I was going to need to do a lot of diagnostics.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

DrDork posted:

I mean, props to them for throwing a 1080M

There is no such thing as a 1080M. There are no mobile NVIDIA chips anymore.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This thing might give it a run for its money...since they'll cost around the same: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/hp-reveals-omen-x-35-curved-g-sync-monitor.html

Especially since it'll probably ship with the third-generation G-Sync module.

That's exactly the kind of monitor I want. The Samsung ultra wide that just came out would have been ideal if it had G-Sync instead of Freesync, but this will do nicely. I was going to upgrade my monitors and GPU over the holiday season that passed, but I'm now hoping that Cannon Lake will be out by November so I can do a complete overhaul.

For people who do have ultrawides, is there a preferred second/third monitor to set up vertically on either side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14098224/dell-up3218k-8k-computer-monitor-price-features-ces-2017

Dell's announced the first 32" 8K monitor that'll come to market. Release date March 23rd. $4999.