Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Man, the toilets at Casterly Rock sure are nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Buff Skeleton posted:

Man, the toilets at Casterly Rock sure are nice

Huh? I thought that was a spy pic from Mar-a-Lago.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MH Knights posted:

It would need to be a golden gorilla

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Speaking of shady rentals, this deathtrap studio is going for $850/month in my city. Or was, the listing was just removed.

Floors about to cave in

Does the TV come with?

It looks like they got a countertop of the wrong depth for the cabinets and nailed the front on anyway

I can guarantee that none of this was installed correctly

What's in that little niche next to the shower?

Best part:

Bonus report from SeeClickFix in 2013:

Storefront Property Boarded Up--Crime Target, Safety Hazard posted:

318 Brook Road has tenant in above apartment, but storefront below is boarded up, graffiti target, continual public urination in center storefront open alcove. Accumulates garbage, crime, indecent exposure incidents, urination, homeless. Very close to families, restaurants, businesses, Art 180 (children), galleries.
This is a progressive area in an upward movement, but this owner will not refurbish this buildings storefront.
The whole building was sold last year (still managed by same scummy company) but the storefront is still boarded up. Also while you can't see it in the photos there are bars on the (second-floor) windows of this apartment.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MH Knights posted:

Toilet's not wide enough to handle a man of Trump's carriage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

In addition to everything else you mentioned, I swear that staircase handrail is just a 2x8 with the barcode sticker still stapled to the end. Looks like they attached it to the wall by just nailing a pair of 2x cutoffs to the wall and then the rail to the cutoffs, too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

:thunk:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In addition to everything else you mentioned, I swear that staircase handrail is just a 2x8 with the barcode sticker still stapled to the end. Looks like they attached it to the wall by just nailing a pair of 2x cutoffs to the wall and then the rail to the cutoffs, too.

The sheen makes me think they stained and urethaned the banister though--that's some pride in workmanship there!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

The sheen makes me think they stained and urethaned the banister though--that's some pride in workmanship there!

Probably just slapped on what was leftover from doing the floor. Maybe they were hoping all the reflected light would dazzle prospective tenants eyes enough to blind them to the large dip in it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Wait a minute. How do you flush that thing?
One of the tiles is a hidden button.

e: when they had a construction site in front of my apartment they built us crappy little stairs out of 2x8s and for the handrails they just slapped some sticky tape on top.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Armacham posted:

I knew some folks that lived in the middle of nowhere. Electricity was provided by a wind turbine, solar panels, and a back-up generator, along with an enormous bank of lead-acid batteries for storage. All of their major appliances other than the washer, were powered by propane, including the refrigerator. I think it was also self-built out of hay bales. The kids room was up a super steep ladder to a loft that had no railings.

God I wish I had pictures.

I've stayed in places like this, and they're pretty cool when done to reasonable building standards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

hailthefish posted:

It looks like a giant rear end to me.

Turn on your monitor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Turn on your monitor

OH poo poo turn it off turn it off

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wasabi the J posted:

Something that fancy probably has motion sensors or a servant.

The motion sensor summons the servant. One wouldn't want to strain one's voice just to get undercarriage wipe and wash service.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Phanatic posted:

In that case, you bought a fire extinguisher and got something useless in exchange. If something caught fire and burned down because you couldn't put it out with the extinguisher, you could sue for damages. If the fire extinguisher exploded and hurt you, you could sue for damages. If you found out it was useless and wanted the working fire extinguisher you paid for but didn't get, you could sue for damages.

If you just kept the fire extinguisher under your kitchen sink for years until the company did a recall and sent you a new working fire extinguisher, there are no damages to recover. "Thought I had a working fire extinguisher but didn't, and absolutely nothing bad happened" is not an injury.

The failure of the landlord to meet his legal obligations did not result in any injury to those people. If he's a dick and doesn't give their security deposit back, they can sue and probably get it. If they were somehow injured as a result of his not meeting his legal obligations (like if the deck collapsed while they were standing on it, or someone suffered CO poisoning and was hospitalized), they could definitely sue for damages.

But "paid to live in a place, did live in that place, nothing bad happened to them, then they moved out" isn't something you can recover damages for.

You...don't understand the law do you?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cyber Dog posted:

You...don't understand the law do you?

Seems like they understand it alright to me. The point of civil suits is to restore the claimant to whole either through money (damages) or through an order compelling the defendant to act in the way they were supposed to.

If you pay a roofer who then decides not to bother doing your roof you either get your money back or they're compelled to do the job.

In this case you might be owed your rent back on the basis that you were sold one thing (a legal home) and were given another (an illegal one) or if there's specific consumer protections in place for that sort of situation, but no it's not necessarily going to be the case.

Contract law is about fulfilling the contract or getting your money back and that's it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like they understand it alright to me. The point of civil suits is to restore the claimant to whole either through money (damages) or through an order compelling the defendant to act in the way they were supposed to.

If you pay a roofer who then decides not to bother doing your roof you either get your money back or they're compelled to do the job.

In this case you might be owed your rent back on the basis that you were sold one thing (a legal home) and were given another (an illegal one) or if there's specific consumer protections in place for that sort of situation, but no it's not necessarily going to be the case.

Contract law is about fulfilling the contract or getting your money back and that's it.

In addition to the bit that Leperflesh posted above about San Fran, I found this for Washington:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.085

quote:

(1) If a governmental agency responsible for the enforcement of a building, housing, or other appropriate code has notified the landlord that a dwelling is condemned or unlawful to occupy due to the existence of conditions that violate applicable codes, statutes, ordinances, or regulations, a landlord shall not enter into a rental agreement for the dwelling unit until the conditions are corrected.
(2) If a landlord knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section, the tenant shall recover either three months' periodic rent or up to treble the actual damages sustained as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, costs of suit, or arbitration and reasonable attorneys' fees. If the tenant elects to terminate the tenancy as a result of the conditions leading to the posting, or if the appropriate governmental agency requires that the tenant vacate the premises, the tenant also shall recover:
(a) The entire amount of any deposit prepaid by the tenant; and
(b) All prepaid rent.

So if the state knew about this deathtrap and told the landlord "That's illegal, you fool," and the landlord rented it out anyway, the people in this story can recover three months' rent, their deposit(s), and any rent they've paid up front. "Treble the actual damages" in this case is three times 0 which equals zero. But in this case at hand, it sounds like the state didn't know about the dwelling in the first place, so that doesn't apply. They can still go after the landlord for actual damages, but that's going to be any money of theirs the landlord still has and is refusing to give back.

According to Reddit, landlord's also hit them with a shitload of fees for cleaning and repairs, and they should tell him to gently caress off:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7zan8t/tree_house_i_rented_is_not_a_legal_structure_just/

Edit: Oregon isn’t Washington.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 22, 2018

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, I was under the impression that people were talking about small claims court for the security deposit and probably some rent. The state of that home + the bad faith of the contract makes me think it has some legs, no? I don't know much about it myself, to be fair.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think y'all are talking at cross purposes on this one then.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Treehouse update. Landlord wants to charge them $1500 to move out of the hovel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7zan8t/tree_house_i_rented_is_not_a_legal_structure_just/
Tree House I rented is not a legal Structure - Just received our final accounting. (Update) (self.legaladvice)

submitted 23 hours ago * by Jinjoz

quote:

Original Post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7z1i0e/the_tree_house_i_was_renting_ended_up_being_an/

Hey everyone. See previous post but title sums it up.

Today we received our final accounting and my wife and I believe the extra fees and charges they are trying to charge are very overpriced. Below is a list of charges they claim we owe them:

Break Lease fee - 1492.50

Electric Bill - They haven't received the electric bill yet and will elt us know. The tree house is hooked up to their main house. So when we get the bill they split up the payment of the electricity by bodies. So we paid 2/5ths of the electric Bill which usually hit around the 180 mark

Before we moved out we left our garbage filled and on the curb for it to be picked up and they say they we need to pay for that final pick up

Cleaning of the tree house - $160

Carpet Cleaning - $75

Carpet Cleaning the stair - $50

Floor Repair - $600 - We caused there to be a scratch on the wood floors that was rather large. I accept this but they are claiming that the floors are custom made and that they have to replace the whole thing

Drywall repair - $200 - There was an indent in the wall from me slipping on the not up to code stairs. Probably the size of CD, and it was slightly indented

Electric Plug Repair - $120 - A socket was burned out when we moved in. We suspect they charged the previous tenet who blew it out but then never fixed it.

Drawer replacement - $295 - I pulled a kitchen drawer for some reason and accidentally stepped on it. The piece of thin plywood that the drawer was made of broke. I accept this, but I doubt it costs $295 dollars to replace one part of the drawer,

Are these outrageous charges or am I just too angry to see it?

We called our landlord and said 'We got the accounting, we believe it's excessive and some of the damages were there previous to us. What's your address so we can file a complaint and where we can send (X) County to investigate?' And he said all right here's the address.

So I'm trying to figure out who I go to report them. I know I can go to the county and talk to them about there not being the permits, I'm sure there is a place I can call to report them for their illegal sewage, and maybe I can call the IRS cause I doubt they are paying taxes on their 'rental'.

If you have any questions I'll answer them, I'm a bit pissed off and little road raged at the moment but I'll do my best.

Link to the actual final accounting paperwork I received https://imgur.com/a/OqdFy

Edit: Location Oregon

EDIT 2 - I have contacted the county, they do not have permits of any kind, and it was built without their knowledge. The property isn't zoned for 2 homes as well

Did those original shanty floors look like "custom maple" to you?
And I love that the invoice appears to be written in notepad.exe

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Reminds me of an ex girlfriend of mine and her duplex. It was an over/under duplex. Her upstairs neighbor was a senile old man and would do poo poo like leave the faucets running so long that they'd overflow to the point that it would rain in her unit. Eventually the city got involved and took care of him. Once the city saw his place, the entire duplex got condemned. She lived with me while this was happening, but her stuff was still there. Well her landlord tried to charge her rent. For a place she couldn't legally occupy.

We found her a new apartment instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

It seems to me, a non-lawyer, that some posters in here maybe understand how the law is supposed to work, in principle, sorta. But they are ignoring that the law often does not work how it's "supposed" to, and when we're talking about local and state level ordinances, that's especially the case. Moreover, posters are ignoring that punitive damages are a thing, and that legislation may impose punitive damages by statute even where compensatory damages wouldn't exist or wouldn't make sense.

Finally, at least two of us have posted actual ordinances which plainly award damages to renters who have not been, necessarily, financially harmed in terms of suffering an accountable loss. That these ordinances exist is no secret and I feel like anyone practicing law in most any field in the US would at least guess that would be the case and bother to look it up before spouting off completely wrong information about what sorts of remedies the Reddit people might have in the law.

Basically: it's one thing to argue that the renters weren't harmed by their unit being illegal, so they don't deserve their rent back: but it's quite another (and totally wrong) to argue that they cannot get their rent back via legal remedy. The former is defensible, the latter is simply and flatly wrong, at least in some jurisdictions.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And that laffo notepad invoice is definitely demanding enough money to make it worthwhile to talk to a lawyer about the whole situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hell yes. If all they really want at a bare minimum is to get their deposit back, a simple letter from a lawyer may suffice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Basically: it's one thing to argue that the renters weren't harmed by their unit being illegal, so they don't deserve their rent back: but it's quite another (and totally wrong) to argue that they cannot get their rent back via legal remedy. The former is defensible, the latter is simply and flatly wrong, at least in some jurisdictions.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you, that's why I said "unless there's specific consumer protections in place".

I'm not in the US so I'm not familiar with common local rental laws.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you, that's why I said "unless there's specific consumer protections in place".

I'm not in the US so I'm not familiar with common local rental laws.

The question was whether Phanatic understood the law: plainly he does not, at least as far as saying

Phanatic posted:

But "paid to live in a place, did live in that place, nothing bad happened to them, then they moved out" isn't something you can recover damages for.

That's just not right, in the ways I pointed out above.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like they understand it alright to me.

Somewhat, but with holes in their understanding. Understandable ones, mind you, I didn't know this poo poo till I did some research on my own, but that's why I spoke up, I'm not trying to just be pedantic. Renters are at a significant disadvantage to landlords and need to know what their options are.

quote:

The point of civil suits is to restore the claimant to whole either through money (damages) or through an order compelling the defendant to act in the way they were supposed to.

And this is a bit misleading: punitive damages neither compensate the claimant for an actual loss, nor compel compliance through a court order: rather, they compel compliance by other actors, and punish the bad actor, through a monetary award from the defendant to the plaintiff.

Of course the whole discussion of civil suits may be irrelevant if the best option is to convince a prosecutor that the landlord has violated a local ordnance and should be prosecuted for it, with one of the statutory penalties including refunding rent paid by the renters. Some cities have renters-rights boards already set up to facilitate the process of bringing a complaint.

As an aside, I'm very much not in favor of the extent and structure of American statutory laws; they're typically written not by lawmakers but by bureaucrats, and almost never provide defendants with the right to contest charges with a mens rea defense, which they ought to have. But we've got it, and it can't be ignored.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Honestly I don't have the energy to be embroiled in several legal-adjacent goons discussing civil law across a dozen territories in a thread about bad plumbing, no value judgement to those involved, I'm the same. I don't really think anyone's that far apart in their opinions so let's just leave it at that and the reddit "lawyers" can do the work.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

http://greensteinmcdonald.com/frequently-asked-questions/illegal-units/

There are special laws specifically for illegal units in many jurisdictions which explicitly include recovery of rent.

Essentially, the lease was an illegal contract, and that means the tenant was damaged because he was ostensibly paying for a legal unit, but what he got instead was an illegal unit. When you pay for something and don't get what you paid for, that is a legal basis for recovering what you paid.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh drat, I missed this the first time I skimmed through them:

If I were gonna live in a tree house, it better not be some beige carpet eggshell paint bullshit. I can get that anywhere (like my current house). It better look like it came out of Lord of the Rings or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Pedantic point, but Leperflesh, where you have damages mandated by statute in the absence of actual loss they are "statutory" damages.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Youth Decay posted:

Speaking of shady rentals, this deathtrap studio is going for $850/month in my city. Or was, the listing was just removed.

Floors about to cave in

Does the TV come with?

It looks like they got a countertop of the wrong depth for the cabinets and nailed the front on anyway

I can guarantee that none of this was installed correctly

What's in that little niche next to the shower?

Best part:

Bonus report from SeeClickFix in 2013:

The whole building was sold last year (still managed by same scummy company) but the storefront is still boarded up. Also while you can't see it in the photos there are bars on the (second-floor) windows of this apartment.

If that's where I think it is they're banking on desperate students, god knows I rented some shitholes to be close-ish to VCU back in the day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gunjin posted:

If that's where I think it is they're banking on desperate students, god knows I rented some shitholes to be close-ish to VCU back in the day.
I think just about everyone rents at least one lovely room in college, it's part of the experience. But what student are they gonna rope in with $850/mo?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Yawgmoth posted:

I think just about everyone rents at least one lovely room in college, it's part of the experience. But what student are they gonna rope in with $850/mo?

There honestly isn't enough housing around that college, that's actually a competitive price for walking distance from VCU, well it would be if it were in decent shape.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just means you need roommates.

:suicide:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ulmont posted:

Pedantic point, but Leperflesh, where you have damages mandated by statute in the absence of actual loss they are "statutory" damages.

Ah, right on. I figured there might be some term like that but didn't imagine it'd be so straightforward.

Much of what I learned about the law has come from the excellent illustrated guide to the law. It's still being written, but when it's complete I kind of think it should be required reading for every high schooler in america. He hasn't gotten to civil law yet, but he did cover some of the key issues with statutory law, beginning here.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 24, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

I think just about everyone rents at least one lovely room in college, it's part of the experience
I don't know exactly what flavor of crappy construction produced this, but my crappy college rental had a slug infestation in the bathroom. I didn't know slugs even did infestations. I don't mind slugs that much and they're easy enough to take care of, but it was a real :psyduck: for me.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tunicate posted:

What are you talking about, this is totally a sane place to live.

https://imgur.com/a/s6BhQ

I'm the non-Euclidean siding.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I guess my first college apartment would qualify as crappy construction, the roof over the unit beside mine collapsed onto the bed of the girl living there. I wish I could say rent was at least cheap, but it wasn't. It wasn't even the worst place we looked at, that goes to the one that had a rotten hole big enough for a person to wriggle through from the living room to the crawlspace, and evidence of a transient living in the closet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Scarodactyl posted:

I don't know exactly what flavor of crappy construction produced this, but my crappy college rental had a slug infestation in the bathroom. I didn't know slugs even did infestations. I don't mind slugs that much and they're easy enough to take care of, but it was a real :psyduck: for me.

Beavis voice:" If you pour salt on a snail, a lot of scientific stuff happens"

The place I lived in, during second year was kinda weird. An old rear end house. THere were two staircases to the top floor, with one going directly to a landing on the top floor which had two doors, one for a bedroom, another for a bathroom. That same bathroom had two doors, one for the staircase, and another for the main area of the top floor. The..... everything squeaked. Floors, doors, stairs. THe topfloor bathroom tub was always clogging because the (I think its called) popcorn ceiling over the shower was peeling, and so little bits of plaster were falling in to the tub. The bottom floor bathroom had two toilets in it. I guess in case one got clogged, you could continue with the other.

THere were sooooooooo many mice in that place. Possibly more mice than flies, living or dead, and there were a shitload of dead flies everywhere, particularly around the windows. I put up some fly paper and was changing that poo poo every day. I got woken up by mice running around my room on a regular basis. Room mate's cat killed dozens, and I put out a dozen or so mouse traps and caught two within like 15 minutes. Not to mention the millions more I probably got.....It was also pretty creepy waking up in the middle of the night to the slap of a mouse trap going off followed by the mouse's death struggles.
They told us not to drink the water (from the well). It was a good thing..... It was an old dug well, with no casing sticking up above ground (against regulations) and no lid. They also had plastic pipes running from the eaves troughs in to the well. Also illegal as gently caress. The "cover" for the well was a bunch of 4x4 pieces of wood, arranged in a circular pattern around the thing overlapping each other like bricks, but the spaces in between them were large enough that anything smaller than a cat could get through, so think, any kind of bugs, squirrels, mice, rats, snakes etc..... The "lid" was a piece of plywood that had a door cut in to it.

Yeah, it was kinda squalorous.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Beavis voice:" If you pour salt on a snail, a lot of scientific stuff happens"

The place I lived in, during second year was kinda weird. An old rear end house. THere were two staircases to the top floor, with one going directly to a landing on the top floor which had two doors, one for a bedroom, another for a bathroom. That same bathroom had two doors, one for the staircase, and another for the main area of the top floor. The..... everything squeaked. Floors, doors, stairs. THe topfloor bathroom tub was always clogging because the (I think its called) popcorn ceiling over the shower was peeling, and so little bits of plaster were falling in to the tub. The bottom floor bathroom had two toilets in it. I guess in case one got clogged, you could continue with the other.

THere were sooooooooo many mice in that place. Possibly more mice than flies, living or dead, and there were a shitload of dead flies everywhere, particularly around the windows. I put up some fly paper and was changing that poo poo every day. I got woken up by mice running around my room on a regular basis. Room mate's cat killed dozens, and I put out a dozen or so mouse traps and caught two within like 15 minutes. Not to mention the millions more I probably got.....It was also pretty creepy waking up in the middle of the night to the slap of a mouse trap going off followed by the mouse's death struggles.
They told us not to drink the water (from the well). It was a good thing..... It was an old dug well, with no casing sticking up above ground (against regulations) and no lid. They also had plastic pipes running from the eaves troughs in to the well. Also illegal as gently caress. The "cover" for the well was a bunch of 4x4 pieces of wood, arranged in a circular pattern around the thing overlapping each other like bricks, but the spaces in between them were large enough that anything smaller than a cat could get through, so think, any kind of bugs, squirrels, mice, rats, snakes etc..... The "lid" was a piece of plywood that had a door cut in to it.

Yeah, it was kinda squalorous.

That used to be a really fancy house. That other staircase was to the servant's quarters.