Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Arven posted:

I watch Matt's batreps religiously, but can't stand anyone else on that site.

Does anyone else do batreps in the same style as MiniWargaming? Every other batrep I have ever watched (with the exception of that Ork one that added sound effects and graphics) has always just given an end of turn results for both players with a rundown of what happened. I like to see the dice rolls and hear them go over the rules. It makes me feel like I'm playing 40k and not stuck at work watching youtube.

Wargaming For Fun does, and Ade and Andy are both fairly likeable. With a few exceptions (like the recent End of Times fantasy special character ones or when Andy was running the R'varna/O'vesastar) they're generally not powergame-y lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PeterWeller posted:

Man, I am just giddy about them. I wasn't expecting a multi kit release. Hell, I wasn't expecting anything. And it all looks hells of gorgeous.

I'm glad I didn't toxx myself to eat a hat over the jetbikes, I was considering it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Since I can't make up my mind on what Necron army I want to build, I'm instead going to waste a lot of money on a Knight for my Mechanicum army, to more or less bump it from 1.5k to 2k points. Any suggestions on which Knights (including FW) are the most fun/interesting/effective?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Forgeworld knights look the hottest, no idea how well any of them play

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Does anyone know of any good Dark Eldar podcasts? I tried listening to the Preferred Enemies but the :spergin: about minor FAQ tidbits for 30+ minutes was awful.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

Does anyone know of any good Dark Eldar podcasts? I tried listening to the Preferred Enemies but the :spergin: about minor FAQ tidbits for 30+ minutes was awful.

Not too sure about podcasts, but the Skaredcast on Youtbe is quite good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?SkaredCast

He breaks down the Codex and supplement quite well and gives some valuable tips that new DE players would find invaluable and a few different ideas that experienced players can get behind.

He also does decent battle reports, one or two of which I picked up some tactics on.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Not too sure about podcasts, but the Skaredcast on Youtbe is quite good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?SkaredCast

He breaks down the Codex and supplement quite well and gives some valuable tips that new DE players would find invaluable and a few different ideas that experienced players can get behind.

He also does decent battle reports, one or two of which I picked up some tactics on.

He's a good listen, but I'm not sure on his opinions. Saying the Djinn Blade is the optimal Archon weapon seems... Odd.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The Forgeworld knights look the hottest, no idea how well any of them play

Yeah they do, the Magaera ones in particular look amazing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

Since I can't make up my mind on what Necron army I want to build, I'm instead going to waste a lot of money on a Knight for my Mechanicum army, to more or less bump it from 1.5k to 2k points. Any suggestions on which Knights (including FW) are the most fun/interesting/effective?

The Lancer is good but boring now. The Castigator is good and can passably take out fliers but has no Strength D weaponry. The Acheron has an AP3 Hellstorm template. The Magaera is beefy but not super well armed. The Styrix is pretty much a Magaera with a volkite gun instead of a lightning cannon, but it isn't blast so it's probably not worth it.

I think the Acheron is probably the 'best' of the Knights available, even if it is a bit boring.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah they do, the Magaera ones in particular look amazing.

I meant the Lancer type knight but yes, the FW kits for the GW knight do help bring the stunted baby up to a decent level

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

He's a good listen, but I'm not sure on his opinions. Saying the Djinn Blade is the optimal Archon weapon seems... Odd.

He has his odd opinions I do not agree with yes, I think he is wrong on what scourges could do for instance. Overall I like how picks up on what the army does well, not just repeating the old min/maxer line of how the DE are garbage without allies (though I do agree they need allied support to be a strong competative army).

Talking about Djinn blades, I firmly beleave they were part of the Archon nerf to promote the new Coven supplement. Why the hell would you pay 30 points for a lovely daemon weapon clone.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I meant the Lancer type knight but yes, the FW kits for the GW knight do help bring the stunted baby up to a decent level

The Cerastus are awesome too, but they lack that goofy mechanicus charm. Also the Acheron has the derpiest head ever :(

I might have to consider a Castigator.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I find what he says interesting, but my god his presentation is dreadful. He doesn't seem to edit, he reads fluff aloud (just don't) in a really awkward way that takes up acres of time, and he pronounces words in a really jarringly wrong way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mango Polo posted:

The Cerastus are awesome too, but they lack that goofy mechanicus charm..

What? I think the Lancer type knights look way more Mechanicus than the GW Knight, they fit in so much better with the bigger titans and the smaller automata, particularly the Thallax and Reaver

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2015

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Arven posted:

I watch Matt's batreps religiously, but can't stand anyone else on that site.

Does anyone else do batreps in the same style as MiniWargaming? Every other batrep I have ever watched (with the exception of that Ork one that added sound effects and graphics) has always just given an end of turn results for both players with a rundown of what happened. I like to see the dice rolls and hear them go over the rules. It makes me feel like I'm playing 40k and not stuck at work watching youtube.

Try Miniwargamer Jay, who used to be a part of the Miniwargaming team until he had to move away. I don't really care for games played against yourself, which he does sometimes, and a lot of the batreps are very similar to eachother because he tends to use very samey lists, but if I want more Matt-esque batreps Jay's channel is the first thing I check.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Who the hell plays hams against themselves.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Now that I'm done with my Nids for now I'm getting back to my Necron backlog. God, I'd forgotten how drat easy flat metals are in comparison. I'll likely have everything done in 1/10th the time.

Just need to pick up some more Wraiths, Destroyers, Immortals, the real Illuminor Szeras model, and about a dozen other things. :homebrew:

I just noticed this morning that beside getting a general buff in powers, Szeras now has a 3+ save.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

What? I think the Lancer type knights look way more Mechanicus than the GW Knight, they fit in so much better with the bigger titans and the smaller automata, particularly the Thallax and Reaver

I guess it's the interlocking shoulder plates and the head. Not that the lancers look out of place either. Maybe my solution is to get one of both!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

What's up shaky hand buddies. Inherited essential tremors from my mom. :smith:
Same story here, although my mum's tremors went away during her late teens/early 20s. No such luck for me though :smith:

Drythe posted:

If playing besieged has taught me anything, it's that those saws are going to rip his own hand apart the moment they hit something.
That's implying there's still a hand somewhere underneath all those sawblades!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Foul Ole Ron posted:

He has his odd opinions I do not agree with yes, I think he is wrong on what scourges could do for instance. Overall I like how picks up on what the army does well, not just repeating the old min/maxer line of how the DE are garbage without allies (though I do agree they need allied support to be a strong competative army).

Talking about Djinn blades, I firmly beleave they were part of the Archon nerf to promote the new Coven supplement. Why the hell would you pay 30 points for a lovely daemon weapon clone.

His whole null deployment gimmick he was doing for a few battle reports was an interesting idea.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mango Polo posted:

I guess it's the interlocking shoulder plates and the head. Not that the lancers look out of place either. Maybe my solution is to get one of both!

The Magaera is a knight outfitted with strange archeotech stuff and gifted by the Mechanicus so it's definitely the correct choice fluffwise(and aesthetically IMO). Obviously any knight can be a Mechanicus knight though.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Mango Polo posted:

Get yourself a Castigator. The castigator bolt cannon and tempest warblade will shred anything. Or the Acheron if you face hordes more often. I like the lancer too, but it seems like they're more for killing other superheavies. The other knights just feel more like support.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Reynold posted:

Get yourself a Castigator. The castigator bolt cannon and tempest warblade will shred anything. Or the Acheron if you face hordes more often. I like the lancer too, but it seems like they're more for killing other superheavies. The other knights just feel more like support.

Lancer is probably the best on the table but man that Castigator is awesome looking. I'm looking at one or the other right now as well.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The Lancer is good but boring now. The Castigator is good and can passably take out fliers but has no Strength D weaponry. The Acheron has an AP3 Hellstorm template. The Magaera is beefy but not super well armed. The Styrix is pretty much a Magaera with a volkite gun instead of a lightning cannon, but it isn't blast so it's probably not worth it.

I think the Acheron is probably the 'best' of the Knights available, even if it is a bit boring.

In my talks with Paul Rudge (the guy who painted many of the knights on the FW site - and they are in fact his), he says the Acheron never makes it into combat. He loves the model but it just doesnt get there. He plays with Knights a LOT.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 3, 2015

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WAR FOOT posted:

These guys have just started up but I haven't listened to them yet...

http://splintermind.podomatic.com/

Specifically Dark Eldar.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Castigator, order put in. Hopefully it's a little less hectic to build than the warhound that made me throw up my arms in defeat :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Tomb Awakened box is sold out, didn't realise it was a limited stock item. :ohdear:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Supposed Skyweaver rules from Faeit (I know):

code:
WS5 BS4 T4 W2 I6 Sv4+
100pts gets you 2 skyweavers and you may take up to 4 more. 
any model can replace the star bolas-12"S6 AP2 blast 1/use only but in addition to bikes guns, with a zephyrglaive-S+1/User AP2/3 Melee.  first numbers are for the round they charge

any jetbike can replace the shuriken cannon with a Haywire Cannon 24"S4 AP4 blast haywire

Wargear, each one comes with a Holo-suit, star bolas, mirage launchers-1/game 4++vs shooting, and a skyweaver jetbike

fear, furious charge, and hit and run are the special rules.
Personally, I can't see a 2 model unit, would that be the 1st ever?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can see it if the rumors of two per box are true. They seem like a mid point between bikes and vypers anyway.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Mournfangs and Morgasts in Fantasy come two to a box.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ijyt posted:

The Tomb Awakened box is sold out, didn't realise it was a limited stock item. :ohdear:

Really? Isn't it just existing frames thrown into the one box?

The site shows all the infantry on 32mm bases as well. If they're moving over to them I'd rather they actually tell us.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Really? Isn't it just existing frames thrown into the one box?

The site shows all the infantry on 32mm bases as well. If they're moving over to them I'd rather they actually tell us.

It is weird, as the other boxes of the type have stuck around far longer for 'nids/IG/Space Marines etc, but the status says No Longer Available rather than Temporarily Out of Stock.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Lancer is solid in melee, since it has I5 on the charge and runs 3d6 every turn. Also, in melee, it has a 5++ AND lowers an enemy attack 'to hit' by 1. It also has a heavy 6 AP2 ranged attack.
Castigator is also solid in melee thanks to deflagrate. Not strength D, but it will cause a more wounds than an other knight (most likely). Runs 3D6, but the gun is only good for MEQ.
Acheron is basically a Castigator with worse range, but an awesome template of death weapon and a strength D chainfist. It outclasses the Castigator in the "can do everything pretty well" role. Also runs 3D6.

I have no idea about the other ones, but between these 3 you should look at the Lancer and Acheron. Lancer if you wanna fight and kill other big nasty vehicles/monsters. Acheron if you wanna kill everything else. Castigator if you think it looks cool.

e:

Mango Polo posted:

Castigator, order put in. Hopefully it's a little less hectic to build than the warhound that made me throw up my arms in defeat :shobon:

I have failed you :(

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 3, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I have failed you :(

The good thing: my card kept getting rejected for some reason and now my bank is refusing all online transactions. Not sure why that happened when I've ordered plenty from FW without a hitch before.

The bad thing: I think I'm still getting the Castigator once I sort this out tomorrow morning, because the people I'll be playing with 99% of the time are from my office and anything but hardcore, so I'd rather not drop a double-combo of AdMech and top of the shelf Knight :shobon:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

These guys have just started up but I haven't listened to them yet...

http://splintermind.podomatic.com/

Specifically Dark Eldar.

After listening to their 3 podcasts I find they just tend to waffle on and on over small things to pad out the hour long podcast. As with most podcasts, they have some interesting points of view and there were a few tidbits that liked, but in this case it involved tralling through lots of filler.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Goddamnit. Now I have to order one too.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Foul Ole Ron posted:

After listening to their 3 podcasts I find they just tend to waffle on and on over small things to pad out the hour long podcast. As with most podcasts, they have some interesting points of view and there were a few tidbits that liked, but in this case it involved tralling through lots of filler.

Ahhh that's too bad. :(

Thanks for the review.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, its true. After listening to the ICs almost all other podcasts don't stack up. The closest I've come to finding another was "seize the initiative" which imploded after about 4 episodes.

Thankfully, there are audiobooks. On a related note I'm now practically a roman history expert.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah once IC is entombed on its Golden Throne I don't think I will be listening to any other 40k podcast and just stick with my general gaming and nerdery ones. Haven't really looked for any others since I expect them to be just not as good.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lungboy posted:

Supposed Skyweaver rules from Faeit (I know):

code:
WS5 BS4 T4 W2 I6 Sv4+
100pts gets you 2 skyweavers and you may take up to 4 more. 
any model can replace the star bolas-12"S6 AP2 blast 1/use only but in addition to bikes guns, with a zephyrglaive-S+1/User AP2/3 Melee.  first numbers are for the round they charge

any jetbike can replace the shuriken cannon with a Haywire Cannon 24"S4 AP4 blast haywire

Wargear, each one comes with a Holo-suit, star bolas, mirage launchers-1/game 4++vs shooting, and a skyweaver jetbike

fear, furious charge, and hit and run are the special rules.
Personally, I can't see a 2 model unit, would that be the 1st ever?

I like them, but they would be a tough sell in an Eldar / Dark Eldar army. Depending on who they can ally with it can add some AP2 punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That Haywire gun is pretty nice, a squad of 3 would be cheaper than Fire Dragons with far greater utility. I'm wondering how they might sync with a Jetbike Farseer

• Locked thread