Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

This is why it's funny to me that so many gamers are luddites when it comes to VR because it offers more opportunity for games to evolve than anything else since games went 3D. If you miss the years of the original Playstation, when there were far fewer rules a to how to make a game VR is the format to play on for better and worse.

Are many gamers morally opposed to 3d systems? I haven't looked at any of those conversations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think so. I'm not sure I follow.

I just mean if you miss how weird and experimental games were 20 years ago, VR has all sorts of people throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. A lot of it ends up being trash, but a lot of it also feels incredible and is a breath of fresh air if you are tired of every game conforming to the same few structures and styles of gameplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Possible unpopular game opinion: Game Informer is probably the best game journalism going right now. They are one of, if not the only publication that actually goes out and does in depth coverage of upcoming games, seeks out developers for long form interviews and doesn't stoop to clickbait, hot takes and talking heads. It's exactly what video game coverage should be and it feels like they treat it like a hobby instead of a lifestyle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh i guess i was referring to the "luddite" comment, i was wondering if there were a bunch of gamers all pissed off that 3d hardware exists

(i didn't doubt that there were because a bunch of gamers will get mad about literally anything)

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Gamers (or at least online talking heads) are becoming a buncha reactionary luddites. I'm hopeful that Stadia turns out to be a runaway hit but so many people seem to be down on it because maybe it won't play fighting games very well (even though they said they specifically are working to bring one to it). What about all the other kinds of games? The ones that would only be possible with streaming? Just moving from peer to peer networking to server based would open up the door to all kinds of stuff that hasn't been done for decades, if ever.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The biggest problem VR has right now is accessibility. Not everyone can reasonably afford the high end hardware.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This seems to be unpopular here: despite their gameplay flaws, the "big" JRPGS on the SNES are seriously great games just by virtue of story, presentation, soundtrack and the fact that they were still unhindered by anime graphics and ridiculous flashy 3D bullshit. Secret of Mana has bad gameplay but I love playing it even today, same with the Blazer series, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2. Those games are good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shibawanko posted:

This seems to be unpopular here: despite their gameplay flaws, the "big" JRPGS on the SNES are seriously great games just by virtue of story, presentation, soundtrack and the fact that they were still unhindered by anime graphics and ridiculous flashy 3D bullshit. Secret of Mana has bad gameplay but I love playing it even today, same with the Blazer series, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Lufia 2. Those games are good.

Agree 100%. Anime ruined jrpgs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't even think of FF6 for example as an anime world. It's just this gang of tiny sprite characters going around the world to beat the poo poo out of a big evil clown man. I don't picture anime poo poo in my mind when I play it. While with FF7 or FF8, it's clearly anime poo poo and I'm not able to imagine anything else.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rock My Socks! posted:

hollow knight is the zenith of metroidvania games imo

no, the zenith was Castlevania: SOTN. Its all been down hill since.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

veni veni veni posted:

Possible unpopular game opinion: Game Informer is probably the best game journalism going right now. They are one of, if not the only publication that actually goes out and does in depth coverage of upcoming games, seeks out developers for long form interviews and doesn't stoop to clickbait, hot takes and talking heads. It's exactly what video game coverage should be and it feels like they treat it like a hobby instead of a lifestyle.

You're not totally alone on this. I worry that when Gamestop goes down they'll take Game Informer with them. Plus they do the occasional article about old games or game related things like the Evo tournament. What other magazines would put in an article about MECC? Granted it was near the back page but still...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think so. I'm not sure I follow.

I just mean if you miss how weird and experimental games were 20 years ago, VR has all sorts of people throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. A lot of it ends up being trash, but a lot of it also feels incredible and is a breath of fresh air if you are tired of every game conforming to the same few structures and styles of gameplay.

What I and a lot of other people are hearing is 'come back in 5-20 years and we might have actual good games on this thing'.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Strategic Tea posted:

At least with destiny, what do they actually go onto? I just play it to wander about shooting aliens and having occasional story setpieces. The endgame is more of the same? Not worth minmaxing for IMO.

Except for raids, but there's no chat so in order to participate you must be part of the ~community~ (read: pay 5bux a month to a twitch streamer and hope they notice you).

That's my unpopular opionion - gently caress game communities and especially twitch communities, which are almost entirely composed of forced injokes, kids scrabbling for attention, and bad facial hair.

with destiny the raids were apparently the big thing that everyone wanted to get to. generally, if you have a levelling system and you say "this is the level at which everything is unlocked", people are going to want to get there pretty fast - amusement parks don't make you do all the rides in order because you'd end up rushing through all of the other rides to get to the one you want

I guess my point is the Division/anthem/destiny/etc. would all be dramatically improved if there was no levelling system at all, and the game dropped you straight into the loot-n-shoot cycle, of which the story was a backdrop for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What I and a lot of other people are hearing is 'come back in 5-20 years and we might have actual good games on this thing'.

VR will be ready when you can buy a pair of goggles at 7-11 for $40.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

The easyness isn't even my complaint, really, its that Kirby on NES controls not so great with lots of lost inputs, finicky run buttons, a control scheme I don't care for, a clunky power-up system regarding bosses, and a final boss gauntlet that changes the game mechanics but not very well at all.

Like Ducktales NES/GB is a super easy game but its fun to play while Kirby just isn't.

yeah good point regarding ducktales

I guess what turns me off from kirby is the floating mechanic? It kind of kills any sense or danger or excitement

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

I guess what turns me off from kirby is the floating mechanic? It kind of kills any sense or danger or excitement

It bugs me because its just a sloppy cover for how imprecise and stiff the rest of the controls are. If you play kirby without it the game gets really hard in a hurry but not in a particularly fun way. I say this with absolute confidence because if it was, people would do no-float runs of the game.

And the float isnt easy in a good way either, like you pointed out. Its not "I get to interact with challenges with an advatange" but rather "challenge and I now exist of parallel planes". And if you are cheesing the game via floating boy howdy do boss fights like meta-knight or the final boss come as a rude awakening you arent ready for at all.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think out of all the Kirby games I've tried I liked Canvas Curse the most, but that was because of the way different stylus controls. I haven't even finished Planet Robobot because I got so bored with it, the mech gimmick wasn't enough.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
kirby games are platformers in the same way animal crossing is a city building sim, they were literally designed to be very simple games for small children. you dont play them for the challenge, you play them because they're adorable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can be cute and play well, they arent opposed things. Kirby just arent very good as games aimed at literal children.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

It bugs me because its just a sloppy cover for how imprecise and stiff the rest of the controls are. If you play kirby without it the game gets really hard in a hurry but not in a particularly fun way. I say this with absolute confidence because if it was, people would do no-float runs of the game.

And the float isnt easy in a good way either, like you pointed out. Its not "I get to interact with challenges with an advatange" but rather "challenge and I now exist of parallel planes". And if you are cheesing the game via floating boy howdy do boss fights like meta-knight or the final boss come as a rude awakening you arent ready for at all.

It was made by people who didn't really know how to design games yet and got lucky that people liked their ball scribble character and they got help from Nintendo for music and promotion.

TheScott2K posted:

I came up in the 90s, where you could tell what year a game was made by what it was going graphically a d I definitely agree. This console generation in particular feels like we're just playing better-looking last-gen games that are just More Online.

There's also a thing that the longer the game industry goes and the longer you've experienced it the more repetition there will be I don't know if it has a name but you have a game like the first metroid (or the first metroidvania you play) where it's new but then you play more of them and unless it's designed to avoid it you'll already know the rules and spot all the places where "Oh I need an item to get there" straight away in terms of it being a game instead of an adventure. At this point a lot of things have already been tried and the popular ones are used repeatedly now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats why Puzzle Games are where the most innovation happens. Baba is You came out last month for crying out loud.

Also shout outs to Hypnospace Outlaw even if id probably call that more of an adventure game than a puzzler but its darn good.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 8, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

underthecube posted:

kirby games are platformers in the same way animal crossing is a city building sim, they were literally designed to be very simple games for small children. you dont play them for the challenge, you play them because they're adorable.

Hollow Knight is adorable and challenging, I like that. But it's made for manchildren, not children

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't blame anyone for holding off on it but there is more than enough good stuff to justify it now. it's still sort of in early adopter territory, though imo within 4 or 5 years it'll be much more commonplace. I've never run out of quality stuff to play.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

Hollow Knight is adorable and challenging, I like that. But it's made for manchildren, not children

Well look at the mature adult who plays video games calling out manchildrens

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Well look at the mature adult who plays video games calling out manchildrens

It's not a callout, just an acknowledgement of what's true. I'm not any more of an adult for playing that game than anyone else

Some other games made for manchildren:
Undertale
Borderlands (+ sequels, but not Tales From the Borderlands)
The entire Strategy genre
Anything with Megaman in it
Anything with Sonic in it

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

(i played several of the platformers available on PC back in the day and theyve all aged like poo poo compared to Super Mario World).

I wish you hadn’t made me remember Aldo’s Adventure.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
The first 3 halos ain't that bad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

It's not a callout, just an acknowledgement of what's true. I'm not any more of an adult for playing that game than anyone else

Some other games made for manchildren:
Undertale
Borderlands (+ sequels, but not Tales From the Borderlands)
The entire Strategy genre
Anything with Megaman in it
Anything with Sonic in it

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the finest fighting game ever made, and NOT for children :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChazTurbo posted:

The first 3 halos ain't that bad.

The first 6 are pretty darn good, bht Im counting ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars in that 6.

If we include the three marathon games we still on have 6 good halos eat me Marathon fans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the finest fighting game ever made, and NOT for children :colbert:

Yet it and pedophiles in cars say the same thing to children.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

It's the third finest behind 3rd Strike and SVC: Chaos.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vakal posted:

Game journalism was perfected in 1990 and it has all been downhill since then.

Why didn't they just make it 1-10 in this case

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Lambert posted:

Why didn't they just make it 1-10 in this case

Because then they would have had to draw more faces duh art is expensive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

The first 6 are pretty darn good, bht Im counting ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars in that 6.

If we include the three marathon games we still on have 6 good halos eat me Marathon fans

Lol if someone doesn't have fun playing a Halo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Halo 2 is extremely repetitive, just terrible level design - its strength was multiplayer. 2 makes Halo 5 seem great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only Halo game I thoroughly enjoyed was Reach but I've never been into Halo multi so that has no impact on my opinion of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol if someone doesn't have fun playing a Halo.

I have fun with the first one for nostalgic reasons, but the campaign was really bad. Like, when your maps are so generic and samey that you need literal arrows on the ground so the player doesn't get lost, that's bad. And that's before you consider all the levels that are just an old map but backwards.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I have fun with the first one for nostalgic reasons, but the campaign was really bad. Like, when your maps are so generic and samey that you need literal arrows on the ground so the player doesn't get lost, that's bad. And that's before you consider all the levels that are just an old map but backwards.

I just shoot the aliens and they shout funny things :shrug:

I do remember getting lost right at the end. That particular bit wasn't too much fun but it was realistic like I was on a huge alien spaceship of course I'll get lost.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I think you had fun because it's a fun game and all the guns are fun to use, the vehicles are fun to drive and the enemies are fun to fight; no-one is nostalgic for halos level design it just had a very enjoyable and dynamic game loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silent Cartographers opening is drat good level design and the end driving sequence is surprisingly well built and fun for what it is.

The Library suuuucks.