Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

The new ZX6R looks awesome in real life in a way that's hard to see in photos. If you're in a dealership go check it out. It's the best looking 600 class super sport in many many years (my opinion obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

^

I have to agree, pictures don't do those things justice. They look incredible in person, and are really comfortable to boot.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is it just me, or does the 636 font look like it's been taken from Triumph's new bikes?

Looks impressive nonetheless!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's a nice looking bike. The kwakka potato launcher almost looks palatable in body color.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

The kwakka potato launcher almost looks palatable in body color.

Did I just have a stroke or does this make no sense to anyone else?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't know specifically what "kwakka" means but "potato launcher" is slang for the exhaust pipe, and he's saying that it looks decent when it's painted body color instead of chrome or aluminum or whatever.

Don't die, go see a doctor

e: VVVVVV damnit, I did know that :doh:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 18, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kwakka=Kawasaki
Yammy=Yamaha
Suzy=Suzuki
Fazza=Ferrari
Porker=Porsche
Subie=Subaru

It goes on

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The potato launcher would in this case, more specifically, be the ENORMOUS can they put on that and other modern bikes.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Is Kwakka just an Australian thing? Huh.

That one does look good, they look like poo poo in any other colour though (in my opinion). Underseat exhaust is the way to go (visually).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In nz a variation on kwakka is 'saki. SACK-ee.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The potato launcher would in this case, more specifically, be the ENORMOUS can they put on that and other modern bikes.

I have never seen a road star that didn't have an aftermarket exhaust. I wonder why. :v:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Wow. That couldn't look more out of place if it tried on that bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Know what time it is? That's right. Dakar time.

Ola posted:

Photo and moto nerds both did a bad thing in the pants.

Dakar must be so rewarding to experience as a photographer; Brightly coloured subjects doing interesting things in an interesting but largely subdued abstract looking landscape, with a fuckton of natural light to freeze them all in perfect high resolution detail.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Speaking of Dakar, and bringing back Charley Chat, you can see what an insufferable twat he really is in Race to Dakar. The book doesn't do his antics justice. I read the entire book, but I only made it through the first couple episodes (I think they were in the UAE training) and I felt incredibly bad for the teammates that got suckered into working with him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
What sort of stuff? He seemed like a bit of a tool in LWR (okay, Charley, you can do a wheelie, okay you're doing it again, great) but it gets worse than that?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Basically he's a big whiny baby through the whole thing. His coach/teammate who has done the Dakar wants him to finish a few local races first, and Charley keeps quitting on them and then whining about it. There's a lot of other stuff that reminded me of the stereotypical big actor (not saying he is one) on the set attitude of wanting everything done for him and he'd just show up and do his bit when it was time. The guy had no business in any race, let alone the Dakar.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

stereotypical big actor (not saying he is one)
I think he's a professional Ewan McGregor's Friend now.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I watched it up until he crashed out and I thought he came off as very unenthusiastic for the project, almost like he said he'd do it then regretted it.

I also thought it was pretty special how Simon, his trainer, was pushing him the whole way and Charley was dragging his feet. Then, they went to the UAE or wherever to train in sand and Simon was coming a few days later to give Charley some time with the sand instructor and to get comfortable. Then Charley wrecks and breaks his collarbone the first day and then blames....Simon? For not being there? Lol.

It's on the youtubes as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g3BauJmOw

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This would be orgasmic if it had a more normal headlight instead of a medical eyesight tester.

As it stands it's merely perfect.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Did I just have a stroke or does this make no sense to anyone else?

Sorry! That's what happens when you get the fat middle aged guy using slang that he thinks all the cool kids use

:shobon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When I finally construct my mancave I am going to design and manufacture a round, solid headlight with a tight and bright beam, weatherproof, easy and solid fit on any fork and a variety of bucket colors - including primer only. And I am going to make bagillions!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

This would be orgasmic if it had a more normal headlight instead of a medical eyesight tester.

As it stands it's merely perfect.

You're right, the stock bucket would have looked better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also what is the purpose of those 'wave' rotors on a sportbike? Is it just to look cool (it doesn't), or is there meant to be some sort of performance benefit?

The last bike I rode which had them had terrible brake feel when slowing from high speed, it wasn't a shudder like warped rotors but rather a grinding, like holding a power tool or something.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The wave shape definitely increases the rotor's surface area, which I imagine helps with heat dissipation.

High performance metallic pads give me a feeling similar to what I think you're describing, most notably when cold. This is why I like organic pads for street riding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Also what is the purpose of those 'wave' rotors on a sportbike? Is it just to look cool (it doesn't), or is there meant to be some sort of performance benefit?

The last bike I rode which had them had terrible brake feel when slowing from high speed, it wasn't a shudder like warped rotors but rather a grinding, like holding a power tool or something.

There are a few primary reasons why rotors take different shapes, often misguided or misused by some of the cheaper brands or folks who don't know any better:
-Weight savings
-Looks
-Heat dissipation
-Water/Material build up resistance

Many wave rotors are poorly designed because for strong braking you need surface area for the pads to resist against. Often aftermarket wave rotors are too generous with the 'weight savings'. You also need a metal area that is thick enough to properly dissipate the heat. Many are too thin to work effectively. It's important to ensure you are buying rotors that meet all the criteria effectively.

Most rotor re-designs are cheap marketing bullshit. Case in point, you don't see WSBK bikes with big rear end wave rotors do you? There is a reason for that.

Basically folks are often mis-lead in thinking they need lots of holes for gasses to pass through, and light weight is going to be a large advantage and sometimes end up buying lovely disks that hurt performance compared to stock disks. Take a look at Berigner, who don't follow any of that poo poo and make some of the best brakes money can buy:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

There are a few primary reasons why rotors take different shapes, often misguided or misused by some of the cheaper brands or folks who don't know any better:
-Weight savings
-Looks
-Heat dissipation
-Water/Material build up resistance

Many wave rotors are poorly designed because for strong braking you need surface area for the pads to resist against. Often aftermarket wave rotors are too generous with the 'weight savings'. You also need a metal area that is thick enough to properly dissipate the heat. Many are too thin to work effectively. It's important to ensure you are buying rotors that meet all the criteria effectively.

Most rotor re-designs are cheap marketing bullshit. Case in point, you don't see WSBK bikes with big rear end wave rotors do you? There is a reason for that.

Basically folks are often mis-lead in thinking they need lots of holes for gasses to pass through, and light weight is going to be a large advantage and sometimes end up buying lovely disks that hurt performance compared to stock disks. Take a look at Berigner, who don't follow any of that poo poo and make some of the best brakes money can buy:

I don't know nuffink about no beringer or any other aftermarket brakes for that matter, but I do know that wet brakes are bad enough, those look like they'd be downright useless in the rain.
I thought the holes and slots and whatnot helped clear water from between the pad and the rotor?
I used to ride a 650 single and now ride a 1000 twin. With all that engine braking you don't tend to think about brakes that much.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 18, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are anything but, they're basically a level above Brembo even.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It takes essentially one rotation of a brake rotor to burn off all the water on it while rain riding. The bigger issue is that most aggressive pads don't work for poo poo until they're hot, not the shape or style of the rotor itself.

More brake radness from braketech:
http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=95

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Think about it. How do the holes in brakes help channel away water? If the pads push water into the hole, where is it going to go? There's a pad squeezing on the other side as well. The square pad can easily scrape away water from the rotor, it doesn't clamp down on some incompressible layer of water. In my opinion, the slots in my own rotors serve more as grime storage compartments which can then meter out lubricating mud to further beshit an already rainy day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A cursory google search reveals the extent of my ignorance on the subject. Oddly enough, I knew that "cross drilled rotors" etc. were purely cosmetic on cars, but for some reason I thought they served a purpose on bikes.

I know people since the invention of disc brakes have brought up outgassing of the pads as the reason for grooves and holes. Is outgassing real though? If so, is it limited to only certain types of pad compound? Or an anachronism of some sort?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For what its worth, on the EBR 1190RS, Erik says they consulted with some NASCAR people who encouraged them to go with slotted rotors for better braking instead of the cross-drilled jobs on the 1125 line.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Only you clutchpuck would chime in on a conversation about the merits of strong brake design with Nascar and Buell :woop:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
ZTL is the best kind of brake, you know that, right? :patriot:

...I mean, this whole waved rotor conversation seemed to stem from that sweet custom Buell up there.

Here's another sweet custom Buell:

Note that it is equipped with the best braking system.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 18, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I used to ride a 650 single and now ride a 1000 twin. With all that engine braking you don't tend to think about brakes that much.

I've never really understood this. Having ridden a couple of 1000 twins, I'd certainly prefer them to have awesome brakes instead of crap ones. Strong engine braking is fine and dandy when you're doing 60km/h stuck behind a camry but if you really want to use a powerful bike you most certainly need powerful brakes, irrespective of engine configuration. Never on my friend's VTR1000 did I think 'geez this could have a brake off a ninja 250 and it wouldn't matter because I have all that engine braking'

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He wasn't saying you don't need strong brakes, he was saying you don't use them that much in regular riding.

It's not just v twins either, even a ninja250 engine breaks well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

even a ninja250 engine breaks well.

I won't say anything :colbert:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I hate the look of wave discs, but on the other hand completely solid ones instantly have me thinking '70s bike'.

clutchpuck posted:

ZTL is the best kind of brake, you know that, right? :patriot:
The 2008+ caliper is especially awesome looking, my 6 pot looks so weedy in comparison. Also, the aftermarket wave ZTL discs look horrible. And I wish these bikes had more engine braking, heavy flywheel and the tuning mean it disappoints.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whose fork is it wearing?

(sound like fashion chat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

And I wish these bikes had more engine braking, heavy flywheel and the tuning mean it disappoints.

Mine engine brakes really hard. My friend's, which has the EBR pre-programmed ECM, coasts like crazy. It's like night and day. Not sure why they're so different - "premium hand-built motorcycle" ?

I do like the strong engine braking, I pretty much don't have to touch the lever unless it's an emergency or I'm stopping.