Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

midnightclimax posted:

What's a good app for managing photos? Shotwell? Also I tried to do some resizing using GIMP, and felt like the quality suffered (decreasing size, pictures seemed blurry) compared to Photoshop. But maybe I'm just seeing things.

Semi-comedy answer: Photoshop CS2 runs great under wine.

There are different resizing algorithms in GIMP; have you played around with them? Gimp doesn't always have the best default selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

What's a good app for managing photos? Shotwell? Also I tried to do some resizing using GIMP, and felt like the quality suffered (decreasing size, pictures seemed blurry) compared to Photoshop. But maybe I'm just seeing things.

I've been pretty happy with Digikam for photo management (imports, deduplication, organization and tagging, exporting in various formats, etc) and am slowly using it to unfuck my terribly disorganized pile of photos going back 10 years.

For resizing, the GIMP has a bunch of different resizing algorithms and the default isn't always the best one. Try fiddling around with that.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Tab8715 posted:

Just to make sure I am getting this correctly, /dev/sda is a device, /dev/sda1 is a partition. When latter is mounted (mount /dev/sda /<directory>) this mounts the partition and makes it available as a file system.

Curious, wouldn't everything still work with limitations if you didn't mount the partition? If added another drive such as /dev/sdb with partition /dev/sdb1 wouldn't you have some kind of access?

Hard drives are filled with binary data, literally just 0s and 1s. So imagine the OS reads in a big chunk of bytes, how does it determine where files start and end? What parts are used up and which parts are free? Because remember that 0s are meaningful data.

To do that it uses file systems that structure the data in different ways, and plop metadata in places. So if for example you read in a random 1mb chunk of data, the filesystem says "hey these first few bytes are some meta data, these other bytes are a pic from grandma, here's some free space, and here is a fragment of your favorite mp3."

Sometimes writing straight binary to the disk is useful too though. Take the command dd and you can make a copy of disc or image(iso) and write it straight to another disc byte for byte.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Video is dying for me after the initial stages of init. It'll load the kernel, then the display loses signal. Looks like it is still booting up, but I'm not positive.

On system rescue CD, I managed to get around it by selecting to boot to a VGA console and then doing startx. I want to install OpenELEC on this box, and that installer doesn't have menu options.

Ideas on what it might be? It's a stock Zotac Zbox 320 with a Haswell 2957 CPU and integrated graphics. It ships with Win 8 stock. I tried turning off SpeedStep but that didn't seem to help.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 4, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paul MaudDib posted:

Video is dying for me after the initial stages of init. It'll load the kernel, then the display loses signal. Looks like it is still booting up, but I'm not positive.

On system rescue CD, I managed to get around it by selecting to boot to a VGA console and then doing startx. I want to install OpenELEC on this box, and that installer doesn't have menu options.

Ideas on what it might be? It's a stock Zotac Zbox 320 with a Haswell 2957 CPU and integrated graphics. It ships with Win 8 stock. I tried turning off SpeedStep but that didn't seem to help.

Every time I have seen this it has been either a video driver for X being the wrong one, or trying to force a mode that it out of range of the monitor/video card.

Have you tried switching VTs?

Hit ctrl-alt-f2 once it seems like its done booting, see if it switches to a text mode login screen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is a certification question but it's about Linux so I'm asking here:
If I take two classes that are supposedly based on the Linux+ / LPIC 1,2,3 certification, do you think I'd have the basic knowledge to start working on RHCSA? If not, what else should I be doing to start getting there.

The current plan is
Get Linux+ (If I can find a way to get a big discount on the test, otherwise i'll just study as if I was going to take the test)
Study the Jang 6th edition book while waiting for 7th edition to come out. Practice in a CentOS 7 environment and Fedora 21.
When 7th edition book comes out, skim through looking for major differences.
Get RHCSA
Get better job

Sound reasonable?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

RevKrule posted:

This is exactly my other thought. If you don't want to actually create a script, here's a couple quick single liners.

code:
* * * * * /home/myusername/myscript.sh >> ~/output.txt 2>&1 && /home/myusername/tail -n 2500 ~/output.txt > ~/recent500.txt && cat /home/myusername/recent.txt > /var/www/index.html
The && tells it not to move forward if the previous command doesn't exit properly. You can replace the && with ; if you want to just move to the next command.

Here's another more simplified option
code:
* * * * * /home/myusername/myscript.sh | tail -n 2500 > ~/output.txt && cp ~/output.txt /var/www/index.html
This is reasonably simplified. We're taking the output from myscript.sh and piping it through tail to get the last 2500 lines. From there we're taking the file created and copying it to /var/www/index.html. When you cat and single redirect, all you're doing is a copy.

That && is still unsightly and we can pare this down even further

code:
* * * * * /home/myusername/myscript.sh | tail -n 2500 > /var/www/index.html
We're doing all three lines from your original cron in one neat single line. We're running myscript.sh, then piping it through tail like before but this time, we're just redirecting the output directly to /var/www/index.html rather than copying or catting a file . Best of all, your order of operations is totally intact so you never end up with contention or errors.

Bit of a late reply here, but yeah this is exactly what I realized a day or 2 later. This is was literally my 1st foray into any sort of Linux scripting, so it's undeniably bad, but it's good to know that I'm very quickly learning how to do things in a much better way as you suggested.

I could take this 1 step further couldn't I? I could put everything I wanted to happen in myscript.sh and just have a cronjob running every minute right?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a certification question but it's about Linux so I'm asking here:
If I take two classes that are supposedly based on the Linux+ / LPIC 1,2,3 certification, do you think I'd have the basic knowledge to start working on RHCSA? If not, what else should I be doing to start getting there.

The current plan is
Get Linux+ (If I can find a way to get a big discount on the test, otherwise i'll just study as if I was going to take the test)
Study the Jang 6th edition book while waiting for 7th edition to come out. Practice in a CentOS 7 environment and Fedora 21.
When 7th edition book comes out, skim through looking for major differences.
Get RHCSA
Get better job

Sound reasonable?

What classes are you taking and where?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

What classes are you taking and where?

I'm taking two classes through a local Community College, one after the other.

They use the Cisco Networking Academy which claims it aligns to the LPI objectives:

This is what I've got for the first class:
Module 1 - Introduction to Linux
Module 2 - Open Source Applications and Licenses
Module 3 - Using Linux
Module 4 - Command Line Skills
Module 5 - Getting Help
Module 6 - Working with Files and Directories
Module 7 - Archiving and Compression
Module 8 - Pipes, Redirection, and REGEX
Module 9 - Basic Scripting
Module 10 - Understanding Computer Hardware
Module 11 - Managing Packages and Processes
Module 12 - Network Configuration
Module 13 - System and User Security
Module 14 - Create a new user
Module 15 - Ownership and Permissions
Module 16 - Securing Permissions, Links and File Locations

I've also got a kick rear end home lab so it's no big deal at all for me to run servers.

I don't have a syllabus for the second class which is supposed to cover System Administrative tasks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm trying to install ZFS on an Ubuntu 14.04 system, and DKMS appears to keep building the kernel modules as 32-bit instead of 64-bit for some reason:

code:
root@graphite-prod-2:~# file /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.6.3/3.13.0-44-generic/x86_64/module/zfs.ko
/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.6.3/3.13.0-44-generic/x86_64/module/zfs.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB  relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=82b750709eb5ac2cca7cd690b371e77911f5d4a8, not stripped
Any ideas why it might be doing this stupid poo poo? I'm building as 64-bit explicitly:

dkms build -a x86_64 -m zfs/0.6.3

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

enthe0s posted:

Bit of a late reply here, but yeah this is exactly what I realized a day or 2 later. This is was literally my 1st foray into any sort of Linux scripting, so it's undeniably bad, but it's good to know that I'm very quickly learning how to do things in a much better way as you suggested.

I could take this 1 step further couldn't I? I could put everything I wanted to happen in myscript.sh and just have a cronjob running every minute right?

Absolutely. If that's all you're ever going to use myscript.sh for, you can script all of this into it so the only output you get is a proper /var/www/index.html file that runs every minute. But the difference between scripting it in there and adding the pipes and redirects externally gives you a bit more mobility with the script if you want to do other things with it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
My hard drive is partitioned in two sections, a Win7 side and an Xubuntu side. In Xubuntu I was pulling deleted data off a large harddrive using photorec, and I didn't think it would fill up the free space on my partition but it did. Once I logged out, I have been unable to log back in (I can still boot into windows).

I booted off an Xubuntu install disk to get a command prompt (the grub command prompt was really unhelpful) and tried to delete things. I wasn't able to access my home folder because I wasn't logged in as myself, but I deleted about 7GB of stuff I found in other /* folders. Nonetheless I still can't log in, it seems to be still too full.

I've got two questions: What causes this inability to log in when the hard drive gets full? And how can I delete some stuff from inside my home folder to fix this?

It's weird that linux doesn't have some safeguard against this, like preventing the user from writing any more data once it reaches this danger threshold.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

reading posted:

My hard drive is partitioned in two sections, a Win7 side and an Xubuntu side. In Xubuntu I was pulling deleted data off a large harddrive using photorec, and I didn't think it would fill up the free space on my partition but it did. Once I logged out, I have been unable to log back in (I can still boot into windows).

I booted off an Xubuntu install disk to get a command prompt (the grub command prompt was really unhelpful) and tried to delete things. I wasn't able to access my home folder because I wasn't logged in as myself, but I deleted about 7GB of stuff I found in other /* folders. Nonetheless I still can't log in, it seems to be still too full.

I've got two questions: What causes this inability to log in when the hard drive gets full? And how can I delete some stuff from inside my home folder to fix this?

It's weird that linux doesn't have some safeguard against this, like preventing the user from writing any more data once it reaches this danger threshold.

What happens when you try to log in? What exactly did you end up deleting from the other /* folders? What does df -h say?

To delete stuff from your home folder do it as a super user. From a terminal in the live session type "sudo -i" and then you'll be root and able to delete files as you please.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm taking two classes through a local Community College, one after the other.

They use the Cisco Networking Academy which claims it aligns to the LPI objectives:

This is what I've got for the first class:
Module 1 - Introduction to Linux
Module 2 - Open Source Applications and Licenses
Module 3 - Using Linux
Module 4 - Command Line Skills
Module 5 - Getting Help
Module 6 - Working with Files and Directories
Module 7 - Archiving and Compression
Module 8 - Pipes, Redirection, and REGEX
Module 9 - Basic Scripting
Module 10 - Understanding Computer Hardware
Module 11 - Managing Packages and Processes
Module 12 - Network Configuration
Module 13 - System and User Security
Module 14 - Create a new user
Module 15 - Ownership and Permissions
Module 16 - Securing Permissions, Links and File Locations

I've also got a kick rear end home lab so it's no big deal at all for me to run servers.

I don't have a syllabus for the second class which is supposed to cover System Administrative tasks.

That's awfully darn to close to what's on Edx.org's Linux Introduction class, there's also True Abilities labs which are awfully fancy. I also came across this the other day Linux Survival Guide

By the way, check your PM's.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Paul MaudDib posted:

Boot with nomodeset

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Helpful reminder to myself and to others who may have thinkpad laptops: if your lcd backlight has gone and you take the opportunity to upgrade the BIOS, don't panic when your external CRT screen remains blank during bootup. And do stupid things like swap hardware in a belief that either the CPU has crashed or the HDD has. Just press Fn+F7 until you get a screen on the CRT and then reset the BIOS settings and remember that BIOS flashes do reset the settings to factory. I've never been gladder of a laptop feature.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ToxicFrog posted:

I've been pretty happy with Digikam for photo management (imports, deduplication, organization and tagging, exporting in various formats, etc) and am slowly using it to unfuck my terribly disorganized pile of photos going back 10 years.

For resizing, the GIMP has a bunch of different resizing algorithms and the default isn't always the best one. Try fiddling around with that.

effika posted:

Semi-comedy answer: Photoshop CS2 runs great under wine.

There are different resizing algorithms in GIMP; have you played around with them? Gimp doesn't always have the best default selected.

Ok I'll try to fiddle around a bit. I've heard about Digikam, but I'm not a big fan of using KDE apps in a Gnome environment, unless it's gtk now.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
If you're OK with the command line you could also try imagemagick. Though it can be a pain to figure out the right commands in the beginning. But once you have what you need you get batch processing for free.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Ok I'll try to fiddle around a bit. I've heard about Digikam, but I'm not a big fan of using KDE apps in a Gnome environment, unless it's gtk now.

It's not; AFAIK the Digikam team are working on breaking the KDE framework dependencies, so it'll still depend on Qt but not on the entire KDE desktop -- but that's a ways off.

I use KDE, so I already have all that poo poo installed anyways.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm getting more involved with linux and one of things that's throwing me off-track is man pages. Is it just me or this way how this is written rather dense?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tab8715 posted:

I'm getting more involved with linux and one of things that's throwing me off-track is man pages. Is it just me or this way how this is written rather dense?

I've been using linux as a main desktop OS for a couple of years and I only find man pages worthwhile like 50% of the time.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Should I be having as much trouble as I am running a node v .10.33 application on Debian Wheezy? I'm probably a 3/10 on Linux and 2/10 on development, so if the answer if RTFM I'll gladly accept and keep plugging away. Just wondering if there's some gotcha I don't know about with the backport or whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've been using linux as a main desktop OS for a couple of years and I only find man pages worthwhile like 50% of the time.

I'm going through a few "Learn Linux Tutorials" and I'm getting the impression that learning to read man pages is important and I'm shortcutting myself with google...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm going through a few "Learn Linux Tutorials" and I'm getting the impression that learning to read man pages is important and I'm shortcutting myself with google...

If you are googling something like "how to enable compression with tar" then sure. I mostly use man pages for figuring out which command line flag does what i want, eg "does -h set the hostname or just print the help dialog", or reading the examples like with xargs or find. Having a cheat sheet next to your computer with simple stuff like "ls - print directory contents" is a good idea if you aren't strong on knowing what everything does yet.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Longinus00 posted:

What happens when you try to log in? What exactly did you end up deleting from the other /* folders? What does df -h say?

To delete stuff from your home folder do it as a super user. From a terminal in the live session type "sudo -i" and then you'll be root and able to delete files as you please.

When I try to log in, I can enter my password at the login screen but then the computer hangs.

I deleted some games and some software I had installed as root, so it was in /usr/games and I think /opt/. It was development software that I didn't need.

df -h says that the drive is at 100% capacity, even though it's really only 412GB out of 422GB (down from about 418/422 before I deleted the stuff). I assume that's just rounding error.

I tried doing what you said with sudo -i, but when I try to move into my home folder it has a README saying that it was unmounted to protect my data, and a sym link called "Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop -> /usr/share/ecryptfs-utils/ecryptfs-mount-private.desktop". I'm unable to open it using ecryptfs-mount-private because it says my encrypted private directory is not setup properly.

What causes this problem? I've had this problem on my Beaglebone but I think that was because ssh'ing to the device requires writing some stuff to the disk and if its full it can't write, which blocks ssh. But this isn't using ssh.

reading fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 6, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Roargasm posted:

Should I be having as much trouble as I am running a node v .10.33 application on Debian Wheezy? I'm probably a 3/10 on Linux and 2/10 on development, so if the answer if RTFM I'll gladly accept and keep plugging away. Just wondering if there's some gotcha I don't know about with the backport or whatever.

You'll need to be more specific than "trouble"

reading posted:

When I try to log in, I can enter my password at the login screen but then the computer hangs.

I deleted some games and some software I had installed as root, so it was in /usr/games and I think /opt/. It was development software that I didn't need.

df -h says that the drive is at 100% capacity, even though it's really only 412GB out of 422GB (down from about 418/422 before I deleted the stuff). I assume that's just rounding error.

I tried doing what you said with sudo -i, but when I try to move into my home folder it has a README saying that it was unmounted to protect my data, and a sym link called "Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop -> /usr/share/ecryptfs-utils/ecryptfs-mount-private.desktop". I'm unable to open it using ecryptfs-mount-private because it says my encrypted private directory is not setup properly.

What causes this problem? I've had this problem on my Beaglebone but I think that was because ssh'ing to the device requires writing some stuff to the disk and if its full it can't write, which blocks ssh. But this isn't using ssh.

Log in from a VT. Local logon writes to the same logs as ssh. The problem is in /var, probably, not your home. Check the free inode count, too. And permissions in your homedir (root can do this from a live/rescue image)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm using evolution 3.12.10 on Fedora/GNOME with the dark theme. Normally plain text emails are shown with light gray text on a dark gray background, which suits me fine. The replies come out as white text on the same dark gray, which is also fine. However, if I reply to HTML emails with a white background, I end up getting white text on a white background. The only workaround I've found is to make the reply HTML as well and set the font to black manually, which is tedious. Is there a better solution for this? I couldn't find much of anything by googling. Most of the relevant threads were about GTK-backed evolution, and apparently it switched to webkit some time ago.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tab8715 posted:

They're badly written, inconsistent in style, incomplete and occasionally inaccurate. A few are good, but open source devs all do things differently.

Hi early you're better off using the Arch wiki for most things, regardless of distro.

eXXon posted:

Most of the relevant threads were about GTK-backed evolution, and apparently it switched to webkit some time ago.

GTK and WebKit aren't alternatives to each other, I'm quite sure it still uses GTK.

It might use WebKit for html email rendering.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

reading posted:

By default (on ext2/3 at least) Linux reserves some disk space for root so that in theory a normal user can't fill up the disk. If you were root when you did whatever you did though...

Hell, since we're talking man pages :eng101:

quote:

-m reserved-blocks-percentage
Specify the percentage of the filesystem blocks reserved for the super-user. This avoids fragmen-
tation, and allows root-owned daemons, such as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly after
non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the filesystem. The default percentage is
5%.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

In general, the man pages are reference manuals, not tutorials. They answer questions like "what does this program/library/function do" and "what options does it take and what are their effects".

They don't, however, answer questions like "what program do I use to accomplish task X", "what does this term mean", "how do I program in C". (There are a few exceptions, mostly in section 7; man pages that provide a broad overview and suggested reading on some topic.)

If you already pretty much know what you're doing and just need to quickly look up some details, the man pages are fantastic. Otherwise, you're better off looking at online resources like the Arch Wiki or TLDP (although the quality and up-to-dateness of the latter is very inconsistent).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

RFC2324 posted:

Every time I have seen this it has been either a video driver for X being the wrong one, or trying to force a mode that it out of range of the monitor/video card.

Yup, the mode was out of range of the monitor. I noticed that it was actually flashing a "not supported" message before it went blue, and when it restarted it would flash "no signal" as the PC went down.

I'm pretty sure the panel was lying to the PC about its max supported resolution. It's only a 1024x768 panel but it lists support for up to 1280x1024@60 (downscaled). It doesn't like it when you actually feed that to it though.

For now I think I'm just going to bring it up as a Win8 box, I'll need something running Win8 anyway if I want to try a Kinect 2.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

For whatever it's worth, we found Node 0.10.33 to be an extremely problematic release. You'll probably have much better luck with 0.10.35. But we'll probably be better at helping you with your specific problem if you let us know what that problem is, rather than making us guess. :)

reading
Jul 27, 2013

evol262 posted:

Log in from a VT. Local logon writes to the same logs as ssh. The problem is in /var, probably, not your home. Check the free inode count, too. And permissions in your homedir (root can do this from a live/rescue image)

The inode count shows that I'm only using 3%. I deleted some old logs in /var but I'm still unable to log in as myself. I can log in as a Guest though. When trying to log in as myself the system hangs before it loads my wallpaper or anything else. I can move the mouse and it goes into suspend and I can wake it back up so its still responsive.

What do I need to check regarding permissions in my home dir? I don't think I can muck around in my home dir from a rescue image because my system unmounts the home directory and ecryptfs says it can't mount it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

The inode count shows that I'm only using 3%. I deleted some old logs in /var but I'm still unable to log in as myself. I can log in as a Guest though. When trying to log in as myself the system hangs before it loads my wallpaper or anything else. I can move the mouse and it goes into suspend and I can wake it back up so its still responsive.

What do I need to check regarding permissions in my home dir? I don't think I can muck around in my home dir from a rescue image because my system unmounts the home directory and ecryptfs says it can't mount it.

Yes, you can mount it from a rescue CD. Read this (and the linked post if you have problems).

What distro? And did you do anything else? This sounds like a broken config for your wm/de. What happens if you try another one (xfce, KDE, i3, whatever) when you log in?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Powered Descent posted:

Something I just noticed on my xfce laptop (Mint 17 Qiana). The taskbar applet won't let me make any changes to the network config:

Just in case anyone was on the edge of their seat waiting for a resolution on this one from a month ago, I finally ran across the explanation. I had completely forgotten that I'd connected my laptop to the LDAP server at the office so I could log in with my work account. I was logged in with a local account away from the office, and the network manager applet seems to have timed out waiting for the nonexistent LDAP server to respond and just assumed "nope". Apparently for the same reason, using my password to unlock the screen or use sudo was taking several seconds. So I stopped the nslcd service and logged out and back in, and boom, everything works again.

To top it off, I never even logged in with an LDAP account. Time to uninstall all the LDAP junk...

reading
Jul 27, 2013

evol262 posted:

Yes, you can mount it from a rescue CD. Read this (and the linked post if you have problems).

What distro? And did you do anything else? This sounds like a broken config for your wm/de. What happens if you try another one (xfce, KDE, i3, whatever) when you log in?

Ok I was able to use ecryptfs to mount the home directory in /tmp when booting from a CD. I was also able to follow the instructions in a comment on that blog to mount stuff as rw in /tmp/ however it only shows up as ECRYPTFS_FNEK_... which I think means that the recovery key that was generated upon encryption (not the passphrase) is needed, and I don't think I have that. So time to restore from backup: If I want to use a backup of my home directory that I made a couple weeks ago, and which is on another drive, then how do I do that? How can I just "copy" the restored home folder into /home and overwrite the malfunctioning one? I suspect it isn't as easy as just copying over it.

My plan:
1. Delete /home/username (including the folder "username" itself)
2. Untar the backup into /home/username
3. Done?

vvvvv Thanks

reading fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 9, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

Ok I was able to use ecryptfs to mount the home directory in /tmp when booting from a CD. I was also able to follow the instructions in a comment on that blog to mount stuff as rw in /tmp/ however it only shows up as ECRYPTFS_FNEK_... which I think means that the recovery key that was generated upon encryption (not the passphrase) is needed, and I don't think I have that. So time to restore from backup: If I want to use a backup of my home directory that I made a couple weeks ago, and which is on another drive, then how do I do that? How can I just "copy" the restored home folder into /home and overwrite the malfunctioning one? I suspect it isn't as easy as just copying over it.

No, it really is. Permissions are stored numerically (ls -n ~/). Your uid is probably 1001 or something. Make sure your uid and gid match on the new system and copy/rsync it preserving those attributes. That's it

reading
Jul 27, 2013

evol262 posted:

No, it really is. Permissions are stored numerically (ls -n ~/). Your uid is probably 1001 or something. Make sure your uid and gid match on the new system and copy/rsync it preserving those attributes. That's it

I can't change the new home folder with chown to be my username:username (uid and gid) because it isn't a valid choice. Looking at /etc/passwd, my username isn't included in the list, which I'm sure is because I'm using a liveboot cd. Right now it's root:root which I assume will screw things up when I try to reboot and login as myself.

reading fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 9, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's been a decade or more since I've had my network just not work out of the box and now I can't really remember how to fix anything.

Moved an Ubuntu 14.04 VMWare guest to a new windows machine and now the network just ... doesn't work.

When I start the guest, the little wifi-lookin' icon in the tray animates like its doing something for awhile and then just goes into a disconnected state.

I have the VMWare network adapter configured as bridged. When I click the wifi icon (this is ethernet, why does Ubuntu use a wifi icon), and click edit connections, I have 1 "Auto Ethernet" connection. the MAC Address for it is the same as eth0 when I run ifconfig. IPv4 configured for DHCP.

What's my next step to fixing this?

edit: I guess this is more of a vmware player issue than a linux issue since if I switch the vmware network adapter to NAT it works, but as soon as I switch it back to bridged it stops working...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A bit of a branch off, but has anyone jumped into AIX from a mainly Linux background? What did you find was most difficult during the adaptation? Was there anything about AIX that exceeded your expectations? I'm looking to expand my horizons beyond Linux to AIX for .. reasons, and I'm debating picking up a little lab Power5 to play with. Just curious what others' experiences were.