Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Seems like a pretty solid deal:

Milwaukee M12 12V Cordless Rotary Tool w/ 2x 2.0Ah Batteries, Charger & Tool Bag $99 + Free Shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/14293991-another-milwaukee-m12-deal-rotary-tool-charger-and-2-batteries?src=frontpage

and

Milwaukee: 2x M12 12V Li-Ion 2.0Ah Batteries & Charger + Select Bare Tool $99 + Free Shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/14294099-milwaukee-two-2-0-ah-battery-packs-and-charger-with-a-free-tool-99?src=frontpage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Per slickdeals:

quote:

If you don't need the batteries or charger you can:

1) Add the battery kit to your cart, set to ship to home
2) Add the inflator to your cart, set for store pickup
3) Place the order, and immediately cancel the ship to home battery kit.

Inflator will retain the discount and come out to 43.94 before tax. Just have to pick it up in store.

Works for any of the tools that have these combo deals. Just hope you have a local store that doesn't get uppity about it.

Worked to get the inflator for $50.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I needed another Ryobi 40V battery but the way they price them it doesn't make sense to buy a battery without another tool. I almost got a chainsaw for only $10 more than the bare battery, but I ended up paying an extra $40 to get their leaf vacuum / mulcher. Are the aftermarket batteries on amazon good? I'm assuming not, and I didn't even try to buy the OEM battery from Amazon due to counterfeits.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Some Amazon batteries are surprisingly ok, figure they're about half the nameplate capacity and price compared to OEM from there.

I have some big "4"Ah Dewalt knock-offs and they're good batteries, I also have an actual fake Dewalt that my dad bought like 6 years ago, still going strong.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd be more comfortable re-celling genuine batteries than buying the knock offs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also forwarding that I have several knock off DeWalt batteries, preferring versions that had hung around long enough to generate a number of reviews before purchasing. They seem to perform pretty much as claimed.

I am making no statement of opinion about what you should buy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Someone in here had posted a pretty cheap bag on amazon meant for storing lithium batteries in a fireproof manner, which got me thinking about how I have a bunch of lithium batteries in my hot garage, near all sorts of flammable items. It made me think twice before trying the knock offs, but they are half price so now that I know they may not be that bad I'll give them a shot next time.

I may buy that bag meant for storing them though, I think it was only $12.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think it was SH who posted it but after I looked into it, I think they're actually meant for the type of batteries that are used on RC cars and not tool batteries

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I posted it, I think I got the link from someone else on here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719H46PF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A7XoFbDCWTB2G

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My ryobi 18v caulk gun died after 2 uses. Gonna see what HDs boxless return/warranty policy is i guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

I posted it, I think I got the link from someone else on here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719H46PF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A7XoFbDCWTB2G

I have one that’s similar but it has a flap to cover the zipper

Is it effective? Is it necessary? I don’t know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

My ryobi 18v caulk gun died after 2 uses. Gonna see what HDs boxless return/warranty policy is i guess.

WTF, I have that and I love it. I ran like 3 tubes of super viscous concrete epoxy and a dozen tubes of shower surround adhesive through it, no issues so far.

They might limit you to an exchange? I dunno, haven't tried to do a no box tool return in forever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been looking for something to store my giant zippo lighters in forever

You don't need to store your 18650 powered devices in special bags, they are not going to catch on fire.

If you're really worried, put them on an nonflammable surface like a piece of granite, or a couple squares of sheetrock, away from other flammable materials.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 28, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

buy a second one, use that box to return it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

buy a second one, use that box to return it

But that's dishonest!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

You don't need to store your 18650 powered devices in special bags, they are not going to catch on fire.

You don’t need to store your wiring junctions in special boxes; they are not going to catch on fire.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

But that's dishonest!

ehhh, if you didn't abuse or break it on purpose its simply the easiest way to get a replacement

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that was a joke.

Now, the real pro move is to buy a new one to use its receipt because the first one is out of the return window.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You don’t need to store your wiring junctions in special boxes; they are not going to catch on fire.

This is a logical fallacy, the box is mainly to properly support the conductors leading to the wiring junction, and to support the device they're attached to, which leads to less strain on the junction and a lower risk of fire. Plastic nailers aren't exactly fireproof.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Junction boxes are not absolutely fireproof, but that’s O.K. because the wires inside them can only get so hot unless there’s fault outside that renders the box’s protection moot.

They are pretty well fire‐resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJrlRkU4RbE&t=489s

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Junction boxes are not absolutely fireproof, but that’s O.K. because the wires inside them can only get so hot unless there’s fault outside that renders the box’s protection moot.

They are pretty well fire‐resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJrlRkU4RbE&t=489s

Right, but that doesn't run contrary to what I said, and insulation and drywall and even 2x4s will take a good bit of heat before they ignite.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering how many 18650 (and now 21700) power tools there are out there, and how heavily many of them are being beaten on, and how there hasn't been any giant news story about someone burning their house down thanks to Hercules battery packs exploding, I think they're pretty damned okay to treat normally at this point.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had never really considered it before but someone made a comment that implied Tremek's fire was from batteries and it got me thinking. If nothing else, I'm going to stop storing them right under my concentrated "must be diluted" degreaser.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t get a bag to put li‐ions in at home; I got it to put lipos in in my car. I don’t have a large slab of granite in my car.

I keep batteries in it while it and they are home because why not?

I do have slabs of granite and concrete at home, but the bag is more convenient than keeping a perimeter around the batteries.

I masked the batteries because social‐distancing them was not possible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oooooooooook

My garage burning down wouldn't really effect me in any way (it would destroy my car, which would be irritating) if my garage was attached, and I hadn't spent a decade charging tool batteries of all provinances, I might consider extra safety measures, beyond mount the charger on drywall and don't store flammables near it.

E: your COVID analogy is bad, this would be like masking and social distancing to prevent impetigo, I'd say the common cold, but that probably has a higher mortality rate.

Like my laptop, sitting 6 feet away from me, playing Cowboy Bebop is much more likely to burst into flames and kill me and my cat, but I don't put that in the special asbestos bag.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 28, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They make spice racks for drawers lol but you can make them by going to home depot, buying some scrap 4 x 1/4 inch boards and getting them cut to the width of the drawers, then glue some 1 inch dowels underneath, following one of the long edges of the boards and put the leaning planks in the drawers.

Or pay some ridiculous poo poo like $50 for the same thing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do they make fireproof drawers for storing my ground up ghost peppers? Let's complete the circle of this thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You only really need chili protection when dealing with C. chinense cultivars, and then only when charging.

Growing C. chinense plants should be secured climate‐controlled and insect‐resistant greenhouse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I had never really considered it before but someone made a comment that implied Tremek's fire was from batteries and it got me thinking. If nothing else, I'm going to stop storing them right under my concentrated "must be diluted" degreaser.

I thought Tremek's fire was a car battery tender gone bad, not a lithium battery failure?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MomJeans420 posted:

Someone in here had posted a pretty cheap bag on amazon meant for storing lithium batteries in a fireproof manner, which got me thinking about how I have a bunch of lithium batteries in my hot garage, near all sorts of flammable items. It made me think twice before trying the knock offs, but they are half price so now that I know they may not be that bad I'll give them a shot next time.

I may buy that bag meant for storing them though, I think it was only $12.

I’d be more worried about the flammable items... I know a guy back where I grew up that parked a hot mower in his garage next to gas cans right after he finished mowing, and, well, now there’s a big empty spot in town where his house used to be. It’s also entirely plausible he refilled the hot mower and maybe spilled some on the muffler and that’s what did it too, but at the very least I store my gas cans separate now and combustibles and chemicals in a metal cabinet. That stuff worries me far more than batteries

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Now that you mention it I think I did hear the charger/tender thing before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’d be more worried about the flammable items... I know a guy back where I grew up that parked a hot mower in his garage next to gas cans right after he finished mowing, and, well, now there’s a big empty spot in town where his house used to be. It’s also entirely plausible he refilled the hot mower and maybe spilled some on the muffler and that’s what did it too, but at the very least I store my gas cans separate now and combustibles and chemicals in a metal cabinet. That stuff worries me far more than batteries

Yeah, I've put that fire out twice now. In once case it was gas, in the other case it was an idiot son parking it under a tarp while it was still hot. Fortunately both of these cases were outbuildings.

(lol I still have the investigation photos of the second one)

Melted the back end of that Saturn pretty good.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Follow up to the discussion of the Milwaukee M12 "Dremel" I bought a month or so ago.
Its been acting up on me. Someone described a few weeks ago how theirs wouldn't turn in the low speed setting. Mine was doing the same thing the other day, and when I'd turn it up to high, it would turn, but sound like it was about to self destruct. The shaft and collet nut would also be hot as gently caress, and upon shutting off it would stop spinning almost immediately. Normally it would kinda slow down and stop. After loving with it for a bit, turning it on and off, varying the rotation speeds etc, I finally got it to work normally. Never the less, I made sure to find the receipt for it.
If it craps out on me completely, can I bring it back to Home Depot or do I have to send it in? Can I only bring it back to Home depot within the 90 day return window or whatever?

Fake edit: When it was sounding lovely, I'd be trying to cut some (Sch40) pvc pipe with it and it would easily bog down and stop. Not so when it wasn't sounding like it was about to self destruct. I think the added resistance from whatever wasn't moving freely also caused my battery to wear out pretty fast.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

If it craps out on me completely, can I bring it back to Home Depot or do I have to send it in? Can I only bring it back to Home depot within the 90 day return window or whatever?
Technically you could take it to a local Milwaukee repair shop (not Home Depot), but realistically, you’re probably sending it back. HD is likely only going to honor their (I think 90 day) window, but you could try.

That sure sounds like either some schmutz from what you were cutting got inside, or the shaft lock button is (at least partially) engaged. If it’s the former, there’s a decent chance you could clear it yourself by taking the collet / collet nut off and either blowing compressed air or fishing with a pick.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

MomJeans420 posted:

Now that you mention it I think I did hear the charger/tender thing before.

I came in to work one day to the whole shop stinking of battery acid. Turns out a charger was left on a battery overnight and it had boiled off all the acid. We don’t charge batteries overnight anymore.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I did something I should have done a long time ago and got some decent quality lab bottles for convenient use of small quantities of commonly used solvents. The straw is molded as one piece with the cap so they don't leak there like those bottles tend to do. The "bensin" one is 4-stroke alkylate gasoline. Doesn't smell much compared to pump gas and leaves no residue but still great for cleaning sticky stuff and the like.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wash bottles kick rear end. I actually use them for cooking oils too. Looks weird, but works awesome.

They can leak from temperature changes, since the straw is submerged in liquid and they're airtight. It takes a decent temp swing, but it definitely happens. I don't worry about it with solvents (always have IPA, acetone and distilled water in them), but the ones I've got in the kitchen I unscrew the lid very slightly between uses.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
we use these: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23638&catid=659 at work and i like them, especially the color coding of the top/straw. i mainly use IPA (yellow) and acetone (red) so it's nice to be able to tell them apart at a glance

im surprised to find that they're not very expensive, too

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to realize that IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol and not India Pale Ale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Those would be a hell of a way to sneak some day drinking at work though.