Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I emailed him to tell him not to. You can too. (https://gov.texas.gov/apps/contact/opinion.aspx)

Oil! posted:

I've been listening in all day and the last time the Railroad Commission had production limits was 1973. A couple of the really old producers that are still around said the way it was managed was the commission meeting monthly, determining how much production was prudent, and then manually looking at individual fields/leases. This time, people are proposing a flat 20-25% cut across all producers and it seems like most small operators are for it (they have been locked out of pipelines recently and have 50%+ cuts because of that) and the large ones want to hit the gas, drive into the wall and buy up all the bankruptcies.

This was my favorite comment, he was supposed to be on the line 15 minutes ago, but wasn't in the meeting. I really hope he shows up and explains why we need a submarine.

https://rrc.texas.gov/media/57190/cmts-recvd-apr14-conf-collier.pdf

Edit: He just got on, but wasn't nearly as crazy as the comment made him sound.

Edit2: Never mind, he just went full Q out of nowhere taking some phrase, googling it, and finding a conspiracy relating to 1949.
What does the Railroad Commission have to do with, I assume, oil prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LLSix posted:

*grins texanishly*

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

as the name plainly states, the Railroad Commission regulates the oil and gas industry

edit: and, like, not "oil & gas but also railroads". just oil & gas

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The railroad commission has as much to do with the railroads as our state government has to do with governing. It makes sense really.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FoolyCharged posted:

The railroad commission has as much to do with the railroads as our state government has to do with governing. It makes sense really.

:discourse:

The wikipedia page on it is wild.

quote:

through the 1960s, the Texas Railroad Commission found it difficult to enforce fully Jim Crow segregation legislation. Because of the expense involved, Texas railroads often allowed wealthier blacks to mix with whites, rather than provide separate cars, dining facilities, and even depots. In addition, West Texas authorities often refused to enforce Jim Crow laws because few African Americans resided there.

The TRC enforced segregation so hard that it was wildly unprofitable to do so. And that's a good thing!

quote:

The TRC typically worked with the regulated industries to improve operations, share best practices, and address consumer complaints. Radical activities like rate setting to favor shippers or producers or consumers, and heated court battles, were the exception rather than the rule.

The TRC was only sometimes wildly corrupt. Mostly it focused on screwing over consumers. And that's a good thing!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Modern Texas was partially created and controlled by the railroads in the late 19th century, but before pipelines and trucking and so on, railroads were the primary conduit for fossil fuels, they were linked, so then when pipelines and things came along, they were put under the TRC. As well, railroads in Texas essentially demarcated most of the modern state in a legal sense, so anything to do with logistics was sort of a natural fit for the TRC. If you know a surveyor who knows the history of land demarcation, ask them about it. Anyway, it's one of those weird things that doesn't get as much space in our Texas History textbooks, but it's true. Even the small town I use for addressing, having grown up in the county, is named after the guy who brought the first train stop that created the town.

One of the funnier moments was in the late 1980s when Kent Hance, whose name I somehow remember, went to an OPEC meeting to deal directly with OPEC on behalf of the State of Texas and pissed off the national Republicans. Back in the day, as they say.

EDIT: On the point of oil and trains being linked, if you think back to trustbusting that's partly what it was about. Stopping the rail and oil barons from working together to fix prices.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's not forcing open the state by fiat Thursday, he's going to issue a get-back-to-work roadmap, you know like the NE and Pacific state coalitions are doing. Some of yall are some facebook rear end motherfuckers, always sure the worst thing is happening and not even bothering to look into it.

“This is not going to be a rush-the-gates, everybody-is-able-to-suddenly-reopen-all-at-once" situation, Abbott said. "Our ability to open businesses in Texas will be tied to our ability to contain the spread of the coronavirus. ... We want to expand those that are able to open."

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1250150010177683458

Gavin Newsom wants to kill Claifornians bleeehhh

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 15, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

One of the funnier moments was in the late 1980s when Kent Hance, whose name I somehow remember, went to an OPEC meeting to deal directly with OPEC on behalf of the State of Texas and pissed off the national Republicans. Back in the day, as they say.

i would absolutely watch a movie about this. old photos of him even look like nic cage

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

ReindeerF posted:

After trail running near Galveston yesterday I stopped by to grab some food at one of those coastal communities
You didn’t go to Tiki Island on purpose did you?

Also Kent Hance, that sumbitch is the reason Mike Leach left Texas Tech. He wanted a big new contract and Tech didn’t want to pay, so chancellor Hance and former ESPN commentator (and political hopeful) Craig James manufactured a controversy to get rid of him.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bayou Vista, heh. Better restaurants.

Yeah, the Craig James / Mike Leach thing was lol. I mean classic stupid Texas football politics, so victimless crime, but yeah. I didn't know about Hance's involvement.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mike leach is the davey crockett of our era

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

He's not forcing open the state by fiat Thursday, he's going to issue a get-back-to-work roadmap, you know like the NE and Pacific state coalitions are doing. Some of yall are some facebook rear end motherfuckers, always sure the worst thing is happening and not even bothering to look into it.

“This is not going to be a rush-the-gates, everybody-is-able-to-suddenly-reopen-all-at-once" situation, Abbott said. "Our ability to open businesses in Texas will be tied to our ability to contain the spread of the coronavirus. ... We want to expand those that are able to open."

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1250150010177683458

Gavin Newsom wants to kill Claifornians bleeehhh

If Abbot told me the sky was blue, I would go outside and check.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of, zoux go outside

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I had completely forgotten that Craig James tried to get into politics after all that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

speaking of, zoux go outside

No I shan't

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man I hope I never end up in a nursing home

https://mobile.twitter.com/bethanymac12/status/1250431693078421506

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

If Abbot told me the sky was blue, I would go outside and check.

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1250451436409958400

Huffines is typical libertarian nutjob poo poo, Strauss talks about sacrifices and innovation, which is Republican code for “deep cuts and finding ways of providing social services for free, as if by magic, but never, ever more revenue “

Meanwhile a barrel of West Texas Intermediate is less than $20 today.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

After trail running near Galveston...

Might I inquire where you ran? Love me some trail running. I spoke ill of Corpus Christi Mexican food a while back, but one of my favorite things there was getting myself lost in Oso Creek Park.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hospital update southwest of Houston --

The totality of the supply situation is staggering, it's really hitting me how bad it is now. The hospital has been sending out emails warning everyone that supplies are limited, but now it's straight up telling us that PPE usage has and is unsustainable.

As I said before, I work in our supply chain, so I see this firsthand. Based on what I deliver daily, if we don't find another source, we probably have only four days worth of isolation gowns for our ICUs and Emergency depts only, not including the floors set up to house COVID patients.

That is on top of having to take supplies from the OR dept, as we don't have any stock of germicidal wipes, shoe/boot bovers, and surgeon's caps. We've already used our allocated supplies for the month and it's only the 15th.

I'm not sure what the hospital intends to do with its employees once the sum total of supplies are consumed before we get more supplies; a co-worker's wife works at a different hospital that offered a 25% temporary raise to nurses who would work without the necessary PPE and sign a waiver waiving any/all liability on behalf of the hospital, but she said no. I'm wondering if we're looking at the same thing here.

We pale in comparison to the poo poo NY hospitals are going through and it's still this chaotic, jesus loving christ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What % of your beds are covid patients

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

What % of your beds are covid patients

I do not know the exact number, but I do know one of our ICU's, which I think is 22 beds, is consistently at max capacity with COVID patients, with the second ICU also containing positive patients, although I don't know the number there. We've converted two floors in a separate wing for positive patients as well, each holding 20-25 beds, with the third floor opening this past Monday for more as the hospital is/was expecting a surge in positive patients. I can't confirm capacity numbers, but most rooms are occupied as far as I can tell.

I deliver to the Emergency department as well on graveyard shift, and even at that time I see suspected patients transferred nightly from there to the COVID wings.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Devils Avocado posted:

Might I inquire where you ran? Love me some trail running. I spoke ill of Corpus Christi Mexican food a while back, but one of my favorite things there was getting myself lost in Oso Creek Park.
Jack Brooks is my usual spot while I'm stuck here. It's technically mostly mountain biking trails, but they're fine with runners as long as you run in the direction of the trail and clear when they come through. Not too crowded at all. Average day I might see 1-2 bikes, 1-2 other walkers on an hour plus run. Some days less, some days more. The main mountain biking trail has so many loops and twists and turns that you can easily do about an hour without covering the same ground twice, then there are some offshoot running and walking trails that overlap with the disc golf courses and you can get creative enough to do a full couple of hours if you don't color between the lines.

They closed Brazos Bend, it's my other favorite. I thinking of checking out the Brazoria National Wildlife refuge soon. I prefer canopy running like at Jack Brooks, where you can't see landmarks and can get lost easier, but I'll take anything that has some distance right now. Up Borth there's Memorial and Anthills, though I hear Memorial is packed, which I would try to avoid. Jack Brooks packs in the disc golfers, but they're off disc golfing, so I barely come into contact with anyone running there.

If you head out there, I'm easy to spot. I always park at the disc golf lot in a black truck, I always have a shaved head and I almost always wear black. Say hi from 6'+ away!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1250524044530610176

Oh boy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hospital update southwest of Houston --

The totality of the supply situation is staggering, it's really hitting me how bad it is now. The hospital has been sending out emails warning everyone that supplies are limited, but now it's straight up telling us that PPE usage has and is unsustainable.

As I said before, I work in our supply chain, so I see this firsthand. Based on what I deliver daily, if we don't find another source, we probably have only four days worth of isolation gowns for our ICUs and Emergency depts only, not including the floors set up to house COVID patients.

That is on top of having to take supplies from the OR dept, as we don't have any stock of germicidal wipes, shoe/boot bovers, and surgeon's caps. We've already used our allocated supplies for the month and it's only the 15th.

I'm not sure what the hospital intends to do with its employees once the sum total of supplies are consumed before we get more supplies; a co-worker's wife works at a different hospital that offered a 25% temporary raise to nurses who would work without the necessary PPE and sign a waiver waiving any/all liability on behalf of the hospital, but she said no. I'm wondering if we're looking at the same thing here.

We pale in comparison to the poo poo NY hospitals are going through and it's still this chaotic, jesus loving christ.

25% is insultingly low

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm glad that my uncle failed to convince my grandparents to come down to Houston.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1250510425634091008

It's like they know if voting was even slightly easier in Texas, the GOP would be finished nationally :thunk:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

It's like they know if voting was even slightly easier in Texas, the GOP would be finished nationally :thunk:

texas is not going blue even with mail-in voting lmao, dont get your hopes up

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

enraged_camel posted:

Even if it doesn't, the down ballot would massively benefit. It's kinda like how Beto lost but massively improved a lot of areas by increasing turnout and causing wins in judicial races.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

If you head out there, I'm easy to spot. I always park at the disc golf lot in a black truck, I always have a shaved head and I almost always wear black. Say hi from 6'+ away!

Thanks, man! Will do!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I occasionally have to vote by mail because of the nature of my job, working at sea for two months at a stretch, and every single time an expedition coincides with an election I deal with the same poo poo; they will not send you an absentee ballot to your own address in your own county unless you're old/disabled, even if you can prove that you'll be away during the early voting AND election period. You must have it sent outside your county for some dumb reason. Calls to my state representative and state senator to complain about it were met with responses of "well, if anything, we want to make it harder to vote". That is very literally what I was told by the office of Charles Schwertner (SD 5, R) in 2016. I mean, it's nothing we didn't all know already, but it's hosed up to hear it on the phone directly from their office.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

your redtext owns

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I always have a shaved head and I almost always wear black.

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love too protest anti-pandemic measures in my facemask

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1250854538195673090

Sorry vaccines!

All this poo poo with people saying the virus is a hoax or overblown, we're going to have to go through all this again 10 times worse when they start mandatory vaccinations at some point.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1250855424863109120

Forcing my staff to go work at a place for no reason and endangering their health to own the libs

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 16, 2020

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Man I wish this didn't have to get worse before it got better. It is depressing. Wasn't the governor supposed to release his 'guidelines' today?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Love too protest anti-pandemic measures in my facemask

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1250854538195673090

Sorry vaccines!

All this poo poo with people saying the virus is a hoax or overblown, we're going to have to go through all this again 10 times worse when they start mandatory vaccinations at some point.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1250855424863109120

Forcing my staff to go work at a place for no reason and endangering their health to own the libs

once we get a vaccine I couldn't give a poo poo, I would be so owned when they die of respiratory illness, please don't own me

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

syntaxrigger posted:

Man I wish this didn't have to get worse before it got better. It is depressing. Wasn't the governor supposed to release his 'guidelines' today?

He was until Trump pre-empted him. Now Abbott's in the position of either bucking Trump, or getting his constituents killed. We probably know what the answer is going to be, but it'll have to wait until the national dog-and-pony show is over.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Kemah, which is a city that exists primarily as a weekend destination for (mostly) Houston-area tourists who like chain restaurants near the water, or people who own sub-yacht-level-but-bigger-than-bass-boat boats, just furloughed all its cops, transferred money back from capital improvements to the general fund, fired its marketing person, etc.

https://dereferer.me/?ohjj8VAdWGe5y...O2j0xj2KNnwmb4K

quote:

With its largest tourist draw the Kemah Boardwalk closed down along with the dozens of restaurants and bars that entertain and feed tourists, the sales-tax dependent City of Kemah City Council on Wednesday made a series of budget cuts that still may not be enough to prevent the city from a crippling deficit.

A huge chunk of the city’s revenues are generated from sales and alcohol taxes collected at the various venues frequented by the 3-plus million visitors the city sees each year.

What was already expected to be a tough budget year because of the construction for the expansion of state Highway 146, took an even bleaker outlook after COVID-19 pandemic led to the closure of the Kemah Boardwalk, local bars, slow down of business in general because of area stay-at-home orders and the take-out only at local restaurants.

Even the most optimistic budget outlook didn’t seem so positive when faced with the reality that even when life returns to normal, visitors may not return in droves to Kemah.

In a unanimous vote, the council approved a proposal from Councilman Kyle Burks, that called for the furlough of two police officers as well as leave three patrol positions vacant, terminate the city’s communications and marketing director, eliminate the in house information technology director’s position and outsource the work, let a court clerk go, eliminate positions in public works and transfer $100,000 from the city’s capital improvement projects budget back to the city’s general fund.
With no tourism and all of the restaurants and bars shuttered, they made a pretty practical move. Of course the locals posting, I guarantee you >50% of whom voted for lower taxes and smaller government, are bitching about why they can't afford to pay the police lol. ENJOY WHAT YOU VOTED FOR.

Expect to see more of this, I reckon.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 16, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

He was until Trump pre-empted him. Now Abbott's in the position of either bucking Trump, or getting his constituents killed. We probably know what the answer is going to be, but it'll have to wait until the national dog-and-pony show is over.

Basically all the midwest states, minus IA, formed a re-opening pact today, making it the 3rd one so far. Whatever Trump announces today is going to be loving so bonkers and so far away from what the science tells us we need to do, I have no idea how that is going to affect Abbott's announcement. Abbott said his plan would account for best practices and wouldn't rush stuff, but I hope when Trump says "May First" Abbott doesn't go along with it.

e: hmm or maybe not

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1250881068678471686

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Patrick already ran out in front of him yelling "First week of May!" so it's not just about Trump. Abbott's getting cornholed by his Lieutenant Governor, in classic Texas fashion.