Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

drink chuhais on the sidewalk for safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have found the best Japanese to use is English supplemented with pointing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh huh, today I found out the max balance on Suica is 20,000. Learn something new every day.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arrived in Osaka today. I hope I can find some good food.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

No good food in Osaka, may as well just go hungry and move on with the itinerary.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I was invited to join a friend's trip to Japan at the end of June, early July. The only part of the country I've not been around to my satisfaction is Kansai and further south...

On a scale from 0 to Bangkok, how much will I long for death when exposed to the heat and humidity of July Kyoto? Will crowds at least be lighter to compensate for the crushing wall of 蒸し暑い?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Early July isn’t that bad. Just might be rainy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Encouraging! I don't mind rain so much. Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nielsm posted:

Arrived in Osaka today. I hope I can find some good food.

Post recs for good places you find! I’ll be in Osaka from 10/23~11/1 if I don’t find somewhere else I want to go, so I’m looking for places to hang out and chill at.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

My wife is a foodie and likes to do her homework. She pinned the following places for us and she's rarely wrong!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JiUi1wvQLPfSxqfu8
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZC7h3ecYAqQ4GrASA
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LUpkG3hZZLxC6FqZ9

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Those all look good, as long as when you go to the second place you get the objectively superior Osaka style okonomiyaki, especially since you're in that city already

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Just got to Shinjuku and the very first store out of the airport my “just nod and assume it’s for a plastic bag” strategy for getting my tourist sim has resulted on being determinedly walked through getting a points card by the counter lady??

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You can just say “no thank you” and hold your hand up and shake your head once they bust out the brochure or whatever and then make clutching the hand sign and say “bag” or whatever

Don’t be afraid of just saying no if conversations are going weird places, hell they’ll probably be glad honestly that they don’t have to do some long rear end form and paperwork and spiel about point cards to you anyways

You don’t gotta roll with poo poo that you don’t understand just to be polite, no one will mind if you just say no sorry

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Being able to say no and move on is a powerful skill anywhere you go. At least practice it before visiting Kabuki-cho.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Or say yes and make new friends that only money can buy

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Nah touts I can handle, i get waaay more stunlocked by polite little old counter ladies demanding I activate a points cards than red light folks bugging me. esp. after working in China where I had to learn like 17 ways to tell them gently caress off in Mandarin to get black taxis to stop haunting me. they’re only targeting the guys as i observe from this curb taking a breather, so female goons remain winning? And free or not, regardless of country: jagermeister shots continue to taste medicinal.

Tokyo’s fun, 10/10!

e; claw machines are 0/10 tho cause i cant win this creepy cat toy :sigh:

coolusername fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2024

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
talk to one of the employees after you've dumped some money into it and they'll move stuff around for you.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

coolusername posted:

e; claw machines are 0/10 tho cause i cant win this creepy cat toy :sigh:

I got to wander around Tokyo for a few days after my accident and was trying to get a giant bird stuffy in a Taito Station claw machine. I was in a sling and still bruised, bloody and scabbed up, I must have looked so sad to the arcade attendant because he opened up the machine and made it easier for me.

I only just now realized that I won a Japanese Crane from a crane game. I also got a bunch of stuff from the smaller ones, makes for nice gifts to give as souvenirs.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Any restaurant recommendations for fukuoka?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Obvious ones are Hakata Station Ramen Stadium and the Canal City restaurants. I like the latter because they have a Fugetsu. Not to mention nearby is the famous Yatai street if you’re going at night.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

G-Mawwwwwww posted:

Any restaurant recommendations for fukuoka?

Sadly, the Mongolian place closed down :negative:

If you're after a local greasy spoon kinda thing and are there at a colder time of year, catch the train out to Itoshima. There are some oyster huts where you can buy charcoal and seafood (and beer) pretty cheap and grill it up. Bring a recycle shop coat or plastic poncho because oysters will shoot juice out once they heat up enough and the steam forces them open. Good to do as a group, also probably a good place to get adopted by a table of randos if you're into that.

There's some other cool stuff to do out that way but a lot of it requries a vehicle IIRC.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 17, 2024

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

drat, the oyster huts look amazing but it's apparently seasonal :sigh:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My 3 week work trip to Fukuoka was mostly El Boraccho (Hakata Station) and beers in the hotel parking lot, hth.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
El Borracho also runs a craft beer place in Daimyo called Fukuoka Craft.

I'd say it's worth going to yakitori in Fukuoka too, there are a lot of really good shops. My favorite was always Hige Shogun in Ohashi: https://tabelog.com/fukuoka/A4001/A400202/40007647/ Very cheap, very good, with the caveat that I haven't been in a few years (but recent reviews on Tabelog are still good).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gotta be real here, that El Borracho place looks like Britain-tier Mexican food. And I know it's Japan so that's probably average for the country, but still

Like I'm sure it's fine but drat

If you're from America I'd say avoid Mexican food and stick to local faire and avoid stuff that you can't already get done better in the USA

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Which are the best esim cards to pick up for a 2 week trip? I checked with my provider today to ensure my phone could take them and all and it seems like I should be all set. AT&T WANTED me to pay them $12 a day but I feel like every esim thing I've seen is like $15-30 for the entirety of my trip.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Gotta be real here, that El Borracho place looks like Britain-tier Mexican food. And I know it's Japan so that's probably average for the country, but still

Like I'm sure it's fine but drat

If you're from America I'd say avoid Mexican food and stick to local faire and avoid stuff that you can't already get done better in the USA

When I was living in Kyushu if I was going through Hakata and hungry there was probably a >50% chance I'd pop up to 10F and hit up El Borracho, but it didn't even occur to me to recomend it to a tourist. "Britain-tier Mexican food" is a great way to describe it; I made plenty of Mexican at home (thnx Costco) but it was mostly the novelty of having it made for me by someone else that drew me there. One of my mates saw a Japanese woman trying to eat a taco with chopsticks there one time.

Getting in to the base at Sasebo and ordering Taco Bell I felt like Prometheus stealing fire from the gods.

tl;dr: don't go to Japan for the Mexican food

root of all eval posted:

drat, the oyster huts look amazing but it's apparently seasonal :sigh:

Yeah they rule hard and if you must visit Japan outside of Kami-sama's chosen season (natsu) they are a great consolation prize.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Good Listener posted:

Which are the best esim cards to pick up for a 2 week trip? I checked with my provider today to ensure my phone could take them and all and it seems like I should be all set. AT&T WANTED me to pay them $12 a day but I feel like every esim thing I've seen is like $15-30 for the entirety of my trip.

Ubigi worked just fine for me.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm checking their prices and yea, I think 10gb will get me through 2 weeks in japan. And if I need more I can just top it off. Appreciate it~

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I used Airalo, worked like a dream

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Sadly, the Mongolian place closed down :negative:

Booooooo :smith:

Also the “British tourist Mexican” is fine, because there is probably no other Mexican food between there and Osaka heading east. Any port in a storm.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I ate at this Mexican place Varrio here in Hiroshima and I thought it was really good!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hgpvrPKFtVeBLuqv6

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ubigi was flawless for me, and it was super easy to top up when I ran out of data.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

harperdc posted:

Booooooo :smith:

Also the “British tourist Mexican” is fine, because there is probably no other Mexican food between there and Osaka heading east. Any port in a storm.

As an expat you definitely recalibrate; "Costco Foodcourt" would probably have been up there with El Borracho among one of my top 5 restaurants in Kyushu.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Waltzing Along posted:

Can also vouch for Ubigi. Really nice to switch networks in a couple seconds right as you're taxiing into your gate and ready to go.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

As an expat you definitely recalibrate; "Costco Foodcourt" would probably have been up there with El Borracho among one of my top 5 restaurants in Kyushu.

Hell yeah this poster gets it

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I once spent over two hours to go to the store to buy some lovely doritos salsa.

It was the best loving salsa I'd had in four years.

And only salsa.

these days I'd just make my own but back then..

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Alan_Shore posted:

I used Airalo, worked like a dream

Airalo is great but just be aware if you're using anything that requires 2FA it won't work for you since they don't give you an actual phone number

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's the case for most travel eSIMs AFAIK.

Thankfully my home carrier has a roaming plan where they'll forward me my SMS messages and only charge me roaming if I reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

some kinda jackal posted:

That's the case for most travel eSIMs AFAIK.

Thankfully my home carrier has a roaming plan where they'll forward me my SMS messages and only charge me roaming if I reply.

Yeah i think you're right about that. That sms forwarding service sounds great; i don't think us carriers have any similar offerings