Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FizFashizzle posted:

jumping in here and im sorry if this has been settled elsewhere but is there a dictation software worth a poo poo that isn't dragon?

My company will not pay for it and I'm not shelling out 1k for a personal license.

I don't know where else to ask this and I know dragon also makes a law version (on top of the medical one I use at my other job)

Uhm are you a doctor and a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FizFashizzle posted:

jumping in here and im sorry if this has been settled elsewhere but is there a dictation software worth a poo poo that isn't dragon?

My company will not pay for it and I'm not shelling out 1k for a personal license.

I don't know where else to ask this and I know dragon also makes a law version (on top of the medical one I use at my other job)

Yes it's called "a secretary".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Can you not just . .type it out? The last thing I want to do at work is more talking

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You have to be able to type one document while you dictate another one, otherwise you’ll never maximize the billable hour

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The 'Dictate' feature in Microsoft word words perfectly for me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I use a voice software thing during calls that gets it about 80 percent right. Is that good enough?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

nm posted:

Uhm are you a doctor and a lawyer?

Don't know about OP but there was a guy a year behind me in law school who burnt out on being an ER doctor and decided law school sounded like a good idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There were a few docs in my law school class. They were mostly people who had already done a lot of expert testimony work and wanted to do even more, to the point that a law degree made sense.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There were a few docs in my law school class. They were mostly people who had already done a lot of expert testimony work and wanted to do even more, to the point that a law degree made sense.

This is perhaps an even dumber reason to go to law school than most of us had

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Popero posted:

He already said they were doctors

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Popero posted:

I know a formerly practicing PhD psych who decided to go to law school to become a sex crimes prosecutor

Now she's prosecuting misdemeanor DV's and drug crimes with the other baby prosecutors because it's still a career change no matter how big your brain is

Too much law and order rots your drat brain is the lesson here. Misdemeanor DV prosecutors always go in a cycle: they come in all Gung Ho about saving crimes victims then after about six months they realize the legal system is doing more damage to their clients than the alleged perps are and they quit

Imagine she could be prescribing people actual medicine and she decided to put people in jail instead

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Popero posted:

There's a market for expert witnesses that have both a JD and PhD. The reason for it is that firms that hire you will feel that you're less likely to get reamed on the stand if you know how what you say is going to be taken and turned around against you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm a former lawyer working on a PhD, and I would love to be an expert witness. That was part of the goal going back to school.

The school also pays me more than 2x what I made hourly as a lawyer.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Abugadu posted:

There's a market for expert witnesses that have both a JD and PhD. The reason for it is that firms that hire you will feel that you're less likely to get reamed on the stand if you know how what you say is going to be taken and turned around against you.

And in my experience with a sample size of one they are correct.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I know a formerly practicing PhD psych who decided to go to law school to become a sex crimes prosecutor

Now she's prosecuting misdemeanor DV's and drug crimes with the other baby prosecutors because it's still a career change no matter how big your brain is

Too much law and order rots your drat brain is the lesson here. Misdemeanor DV prosecutors always go in a cycle: they come in all Gung Ho about saving crimes victims then after about six months they realize the legal system is doing more damage to their clients than the alleged perps are and they quit

Imagine she could be prescribing people actual medicine and she decided to put people in jail instead

Degrees are like crack for some people. Not many, maybe like 5% of the population, but once they get those first two they absolutely cannot stop.

Frankly I find admire their drive to avoid real work, if only for a few more years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m working on my fifth degree at the moment. :ohdear:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jury is deliberating in the first trial I've done since covid lockdown and having two kids. I feel like absolute trash. I never want to do another one ever again. gently caress being a lawyer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tokelau All Star posted:

Jury is deliberating in the first trial I've done since covid lockdown and having two kids. I feel like absolute trash. I never want to do another one ever again. gently caress being a lawyer.

It's so tiring. Good luck.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I sympathize. I'm in the final days before my second trial since covid and I'm realizing that I'm really burnt out on litigation in general.

Still thankful my practice doesn't involve jury trials, though.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Holy poo poo I won. Jury was out for 50 minutes.

1983 case, former prison guard went in for a year sentence, his theory was that because of his old job he should have automatically got protective custody. Said he hurt his shoulder getting beat up but I got the records of him falling off a ladder. I represented the warden. Case was total crap but my MSJ was unexpectedly denied. I still hate my job.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Quote edit

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tokelau All Star posted:

1983 case, former prison guard went in for a year sentence, his theory was that because of his old job he should have automatically got protective custody. Said he hurt his shoulder getting beat up but I got the records of him falling off a ladder. I represented the warden. Case was total crap but my MSJ was unexpectedly denied. I still hate my job.

Hell yeah, enjoy it and have a great weekend.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

Nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time for the appeal !!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Law Megathread: I still hate my job.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tokelau All Star posted:

Kick rear end, Sea Bass!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Never thought I’d be happy to see a warden win a 1983 case by here we are.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Ewok have you ever done anything with the peer crisis program or employee assistance program or anything like that? I signed up to volunteer for the program through the state bar and just got connected to my first new guy. It's like the opposite of anonymous, which I haven't really dealt with much. Any advice?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Not yet. I've looked into trying to volunteer/help out with TLAP but I can never seem to find out how to contact them to volunteer.

what do you mean by "the opposite of anonymous"? like, they give the person your full name and contact info? or like its the opposite of what AA is?

I did a peer support program through my insurance, in which once a week a person would call to check up on me, see if I needed anything or wanted to chat, etc. (until the insurance company shut it down lol). We mostly just chatted for 5-10 mins about how things were going, I have a sponsor (and the peers were almost all in AA) so it wasn't much to it but it was nice to chat with them.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 20, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Yeah I sponsor a bunch of guys so it can't be that unusual. It was just a little weird getting an email from the bar with another person cc'ed saying "this is Bighead Smith he's a drunk just like you!" Ha, I'm sure it'll be ok. Thanks for the response.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Lol I can imagine the bar association including a bunch of extra unnecessary details in the body about helping joe bob out with his alcoholism and womanizing and titling it like “substance abuse peer support introduction” or something that makes it very clear what it is instead of it just being a nondescript email with a phone number in it

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
We won the case I was a consultant for! :toot:

I’m getting paid, hell yeah.

One of the lawyers took me and the other academics that consulted out for drinks. He told me I should consider going to law school after I finish my PhD because a lawyer with my other skillset would be very employable and goddamn if he didn’t make it sound appealing. Probably reached my limit with school though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fill Baptismal posted:

One of the lawyers took me and the other academics that consulted out for drinks. He told me I should consider going to law school after I finish my PhD because a lawyer with my other skillset would be very employable and goddamn if he didn’t make it sound appealing. Probably reached my limit with school though.

You must have really pissed him off if he suggested you go to law school

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah do you wanna earn about the same but with 200k in school debt. Then law school is for you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Fill Baptismal posted:

You should have punched him.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fill Baptismal posted:

Well, would you like to earn 3-500 dollars/hour with your current skill set being a consultant for lawyers, or would you like to take on six figures of debt, end up earning less than that, and being responsible for all the boring non-subject-matter parts of the suit instead?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fill Baptismal posted:

Wow that guy hates you

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The way he explained it, someone who could do the stuff that they're paying me to be consultant for who also had a law degree would mean that it would be pretty easy to get a stable gig that paid very well, since a firm that does the kind of work I was involved with would appreciate being able to bring that kind of stuff in house.

He made a pretty persuasive case, and I'm thinking about it. Finish the PhD this year. I have some stats skills and am taking a shot at the academic job market, so I've got options. And the consulting stuff does pay pretty well hourly. I'll probably take the LSAT and then just seeing how things go from there. I'm not that concerned about student debt. I had some offers for data science type jobs that pay decently, so there's always that as a fallback if law school doesn't work out.

lol jk, just loving with you guys (in the last paragraph I mean, the conversation with the lawyer did actually happen. but I'm very tapped out on school, not going to law school). I probably am going to do more of the consulting stuff in the future though

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, you scared me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Close call lol

One I didn't avoid is my reregistration for the NY Bar. Anyone have any good resources for cheap/worthwhile ways for me to fill up my CLE hr requirements?