Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

newts posted:

I am bumping this up again because Leng worked really hard on this book! I was one of her alpha (?) readers, so I got to see the whole process from start to finish. Please give her book a chance if you have a couple dollars to spare.

I went and got a copy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

newts posted:

I am bumping this up again because Leng worked really hard on this book! I was one of her alpha (?) readers, so I got to see the whole process from start to finish. Please give her book a chance if you have a couple dollars to spare.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm recovering from surgery and have lots of spare time on my hands, so I picked it up as well! I think that's 3 goon authors that I've got stuff from recently then, of course the Masquerade series ( :allears: :love: ), the Dawnhounds (I enjoyed quite a lot!), and this.

On that note are there any other goon scifi/fantasy/whatever genre if it's an enjoyable read that anyone recommends? Bonus points if it's queer as hell and non white centric, I'm really enjoying the massive influx it feels the past decade or so of authors of non white non only straight western culture becoming more popular.

Injera fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 9, 2022

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I enjoyed this detective story set in a world where there is a second race of humanity that sleeps in the day and is only awake at night

The Night City: The Nocturnum Files by Caitlin L. Strauss (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KP5NVZ1/

There is a sequel but I haven't gotten to it yet, Leng's book is next after I finish Baru

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

I enjoyed this detective story set in a world where there is a second race of humanity that sleeps in the day and is only awake at night

There is a sequel but I haven't gotten to it yet, Leng's book is next after I finish Baru

Oh, that’s mine! I was about to make a shameless self-promotion post, but now I don’t have to. Glad to hear you enjoyed it :love:

It’s kind of a low-key mystery set in an alternative US. One of the lead characters is queer, but it’s still pretty white because I am a pretty white queer person. It’s got a sequel too :smug: Both books were alpha and beta-read by goons, and the cover design is by a goon, so it’s pretty much completely SA produced.

Trigger warnings for suicide, murder, slurs, fantasy racism, discussion of sexual assault. I think that’s it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

newts posted:

Oh, that’s mine! I was about to make a shameless self-promotion post, but now I don’t have to. Glad to hear you enjoyed it :love:
oh this is why I bought this book? I was wondering why it owned it, and also it was good! I just buy things people shill in the thread at random. I should pick up the sequel.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh this is why I bought this book? I was wondering why it owned it, and also it was good! I just buy things people shill in the thread at random. I should pick up the sequel.

Awesome! I really love hearing that people enjoyed my writing.

I feel like I should put in a warning, because this is the SFF thread, that the sequel has a sex scene, though I don’t think it’s gross or otherwise offensive. And no one gets fisted!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ToxicFrog posted:

I've read a few books like that (Jaran and Shards of Honour come to mind) and bounce off them pretty consistently, but it's not because I'm averse to SF romance in general so much as that if I'm reading it I don't want the SF aspects to just amount to a thinly veiled excuse to spend most of the book trudging through a forest populated by totally-not-werewolves or whatever.

Looking back, I'd have to call Bujold's Ethan of Athos a romance with legitimate SF elements. It's also a really good spy story and one of my favorites of her books (most of her books are "one of my favorites"). It's subtle, but if you're paying attention at all to the ending, it's there.

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

newts posted:

Haha, perfect timing on that! I picked it up as well as that sounds fun. Thanks! :cheersbird:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

I'm, uh, not sure it will fit

The fisting was a welcome surprise?

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I've read a few books like that (Jaran and Shards of Honour come to mind) and bounce off them pretty consistently, but it's not because I'm averse to SF romance in general so much as that if I'm reading it I don't want the SF aspects to just amount to a thinly veiled excuse to spend most of the book trudging through a forest populated by totally-not-werewolves or whatever.

Have you read A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright? It might fit the bill of what you're looking for. The romance is definitely there, but the power struggle between space empires and a neutral shipping guild and central mystery of why everyone is so interested in the mind-wiped protagonist is the main focus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

I'm, uh, not sure it will fit

Everyone posted:

The fisting

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ulmont posted:

Now that I finished this, let me come back to say that I enjoyed this book and look forward to the sequel. My main criticism is that the sequences of “oh, woe is me, I am poor and the prejudiced upper classes hate me for no good reason, I and my family will totally be screwed unless my one in a million chance comes through…” bored me, mostly because I knew that chance or something close would come through.
The fact that you did not DNF my book and enjoyed it enough to look forward to the sequel even though the blurb was offputting for you is pretty much the highest compliment you could pay me. Thank you, this just made my day!

Everyone posted:

The little bit I've seen of Shark Tank kind of annoyed me and it's also still way too soon for anything that reminds me of Donald Trump, but I might try it in a few months. Still have a massive thread-created backlog to read.

kurona_bright posted:

I went and got a copy :)

Nyxtlla posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I'm recovering from surgery and have lots of spare time on my hands, so I picked it up as well! I think that's 3 goon authors that I've got stuff from recently then, of course the Masquerade series ( :allears: :love: ), the Dawnhounds (I enjoyed quite a lot!), and this.

And thank you to you guys for being willing to give my book a shot!

Nyxtlla posted:

On that note are there any other goon scifi/fantasy/whatever genre if it's an enjoyable read that anyone recommends? Bonus points if it's queer as hell and non white centric, I'm really enjoying the massive influx it feels the past decade or so of authors of non white non only straight western culture becoming more popular.

I'm gonna plug another goon book by Ccs that I was a beta reader on:

Not YA and no romance, just a good old fashion wizard adventure.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I got to alpha read both of newts' books and the sequel is great, especially because it's from a nocturnum POV character. (Not saying this just because she plugged my book either!)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

And thank you to you guys for being willing to give my book a shot!

In my case it's going to be a little while. I'm still waiting on The Monster Baru Cormorant so I can get to The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. And apparently there's going to be a fourth book as well at some point. Maybe The Destroyer Baru Cormorant? Dark horse hopes for The Mean Girl Baru Cormorant.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

In my case it's going to be a little while. I'm still waiting on The Monster Baru Cormorant so I can get to The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. And apparently there's going to be a fourth book as well at some point. Maybe The Destroyer Baru Cormorant? Dark horse hopes for The Mean Girl Baru Cormorant.

The Star Destroyer Baru Cormorant

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The GSV Baru Cormoranting And Raving

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kesper North posted:

The Star Destroyer Baru Cormorant

this short story was actually pretty good

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

To save us from our thousandth iteration of "The $FOO Baru Cormorant" (as all the good jokes have been done), the current working title is The Ends of Baru Cormorant. This is not only a clever double meaning, but also vengeance wrought on the UK publishing industry.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Why does the UK publishing industry think "Baru Cormorant" is too cool to write on a book cover anyway?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

Why does the UK publishing industry think "Baru Cormorant" is too cool to write on a book cover anyway?

I suspect they didn't want readers asking what a baru was, or why they should read a book about a bird.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

'Cormorant' is kind of a funny word over here. I think it was used in a Monty Python sketch or something - either way, it's not like, enough to ruin the book, but it kind of lands as a bit silly. That's probably why. I think that's dopey, it'd be fine, it's not *that* ridiculous.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JTDistortion posted:

Have you read A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright? It might fit the bill of what you're looking for. The romance is definitely there, but the power struggle between space empires and a neutral shipping guild and central mystery of why everyone is so interested in the mind-wiped protagonist is the main focus.

I have, and it's excellent, and occasionally I contemplate the fact that she doesn't seem to have written anything else ever and am sad about that fact.

That said, I'm fine the romance being the main focus -- I'm just sick of "the only reason this is filed under 'SF' is that the author inserted two paragraphs about a shuttle crash at the start of the book and the rest is by-the-numbers wilderness/primitivism romance".

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Testaments (Handmaid's Tale #2) by Margaret Atwood - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVLPYDQ/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maybe they kept getting it wrong like I did for the past couple weeks or so and were calling her Baru Coramont. I would literally be reading the title of the book in front of my face and still calling her Baru Coramont.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They'd have to name her Baru Shag for the British audience.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Did we ever figure out why some many people thought Baru was sci-fi?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hel posted:

Because it is

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mostly from the name. "Baru Cormorant" is definitely more of a sci-fi name than a fantasy name.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StashAugustine posted:

Because it is

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I hated this change - original is such a good title.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think GB has said in the past the title was not going to include her name but there was another book of that title already.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hel posted:

it absolutely is

but if you mean why I was expecting spaceships, I have no idea

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think GB has said in the past the title was not going to include her name but there was another book of that title already.

No I love the name I want it there

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Name Baru Cormorant

I told myself I could resist but

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand why they would want to make the title less googleable.

Googling Baru Cormorant gives you links about the books and nothing else.

Googling The Traitor gives you a movie about the life of Tommaso Buscetta, the first Sicilian Mafia boss who was treated by some as pentito, with Pierfrancesco Favino as Buscetta.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Cormorant Baru Coramont

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SimonChris posted:

I just don't understand why they would want to make the title less googleable.

Googling Baru Cormorant gives you links about the books and nothing else.

Googling The Traitor gives you a movie about the life of Tommaso Buscetta, the first Sicilian Mafia boss who was treated by some as pentito, with Pierfrancesco Favino as Buscetta.

It's really stupid to be honest. The cover's quite nice on my paperback though!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

withak posted:

Mostly from the name. "Baru Cormorant" is definitely more of a sci-fi name than a fantasy name.

The American cover has that cracked but photorealistic mask of a woman's face, that makes me think of sci fi. It promises virtual worlds or clones, or the dissolution of identity, more than early renaissance colonialism.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Well, is Stevenson's baroque cycle sci-fi /fantasy or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

dissolution of identity

early renaissance colonialism.

Why not both! :cormorant: