Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

power crystals posted:

Is there anywhere recommended to buy those (I'm in the US, near a microcenter, which only seems to carry a single 1200W model)? The 400W bequiets are available on amazon but nobody seems to actually carry the 300W ones, probably because nobody but literally me wants such a thing.

Just buy a 400W? I mean, what actual difference will it make to you if you have a 400W instead of a 300W? You mentioned that it is for old gear, but it should be fine, and I'm not sure if your concern about not registering a short is actually correct, though maybe someone who definitely understands can chime in.
I'm in the UK so can't really say how it is in the UK, but sometimes the 300W ones aren't even cheaper since they sell in low volume. You might get "new old stock" of older Corsair 300W units on eBay perhaps. You can get SFX 300W units a bit more readily but they aren't particularly cheap. Not sure about the fitting into an ATX case either.

Interested in your retro build though.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Bofast posted:

Something like a small form factor PSU with ATX bracket, perhaps?
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Factor-Bronze-ST30SF-V2-USA/dp/B07WM92Y4T/

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me that SFF PSUs would at least sometimes have adapters. That's probably the closest to what I want I've seen yet, thanks!

LRADIKAL posted:

Why do you want to buy such a thing anyway?

As above I'd be worried about a system that normally draws like 20-50W not tripping OCP if something fails (which is not unlikely on parts that are 30+ years old) if the PSU is sized for a much larger load since a failure may not be a dead short with infinite load. Same reason you don't put a 50A breaker on a circuit with 15A wiring, just smaller scale.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Just buy a 400W? I mean, what actual difference will it make to you if you have a 400W instead of a 300W? You mentioned that it is for old gear, but it should be fine, and I'm not sure if your concern about not registering a short is actually correct, though maybe someone who definitely understands can chime in.
I'm in the UK so can't really say how it is in the UK, but sometimes the 300W ones aren't even cheaper since they sell in low volume. You might get "new old stock" of older Corsair 300W units on eBay perhaps

I was just curious, the 400W would probably be about the same result. I was more wondering if there was some vendor that sold these things I just wasn't aware of.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

power crystals posted:

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me that SFF PSUs would at least sometimes have adapters. That's probably the closest to what I want I've seen yet, thanks!

You could get a cheap Flex Atx psu and an adapter plate. Lots of options in the 300 watt range.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Bottlenecking one or the other depends entirely on the game. Some need more CPU, some need more GPU. I've got a 5800X3D and a GTX 1080 and it's fine for 1440p but I also don't play many new games that would bog it down.

Is there a rule of thumb or something to help me figure out which is the issue? FWIW recently I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy, FF7R, and Helldivers 2 which all struggle at 1440p for med/high settings. I also plan on picking up the new FF14 xpac later this year which is supposed to have some graphical updates.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Virtue posted:

Is there a rule of thumb or something to help me figure out which is the issue? FWIW recently I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy, FF7R, and Helldivers 2 which all struggle at 1440p for med/high settings. I also plan on picking up the new FF14 xpac later this year which is supposed to have some graphical updates.

The "easiest" way to find where your bottle neck is, is to run several games at each resolution at each quality preset while watching your resource usage. If at higher resolutions your GPU isn't under full load, that usually means that the CPU is bottlenecked, if the GPU is under full load but the CPU seems to have fairly low usage that means the GPU is the bottleneck which is generally what you want. I think the GPU is probably going to be the bigger bottleneck in the games you mentioned. I'd suggest you upgrade your GPU (RTX 4070/4070 Super, 6800XT/7800XT), if you still aren't getting the performance you want then upgrade your CPU (5800X3D).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah start with the GPU and work your way to the biggest 5x00X3D you can afford if the GPU alone doesn't cut it.

It should be a massive improvement though, the GTX 1080 is fairly old now and Pascal cards got gradually worse in newer titles for the last few years.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 30, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Branch Nvidian posted:

The "easiest" way to find where your bottle neck is, is to run several games at each resolution at each quality preset while watching your resource usage.

Specifically, Virtue, the tool you generally want for checking utilization is Afterburner: https://www.guru3d.com/download/msi-afterburner-beta-download/

It's branded MSI for dumb legacy reasons, but it works on any card make and manufacturer. Just ensure that CPU usage and GPU usage are set to be shown in the on-screen display and you can test things for yourself (you can also display individual CPU cores if you think the game isn't making full use of the available cores).

And yeah, if you're using a GTX 1080 non-Ti, I'd fully expect that to the thing holding you back at this point, especially paired with a 3700X. Though at 1440p Ultra, even a Ti is starting to feel the squeeze.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Virtue posted:

I'm looking at upgrading my pc and have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X cpu and a GTX 1080 gpu. Will I hit a cpu bottleneck just upgrading the gpu? I'd like to do some 120fps gaming at 1080p if not 1440p but stuff is so expensive these days I can live with 1440p at 60fps.

at 1440p upgrading the CPU is going to matter less. You could move quite a bit up from a 1080 without really holding the card back at all. There's some 380 dollar 6800 cards that're probably peaking price:performance right now but if you want nvidia a 4070S isn't going to be super held back at 1440p.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah this is the other possible issue. Pascal was a great generation, but there are features that were added in the generations after it that are starting to become more necessary or more heavily leveraged, which is leaving Pascal behind sadly. I can't remember what game it was, but something recently flat out had a warning at boot if it detected a Pascal card that it was going to run like poo poo. Alan Wake 2, maybe?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yup Alan Wake 2. It did get a patch that made it work, and actually work quite well all things considered, but when a card is getting special effort to get it going then sadly the writing is on the wall

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah this is the other possible issue. Pascal was a great generation, but there are features that were added in the generations after it that are starting to become more necessary or more heavily leveraged, which is leaving Pascal behind sadly. I can't remember what game it was, but something recently flat out had a warning at boot if it detected a Pascal card that it was going to run like poo poo. Alan Wake 2, maybe?

Alan Wake indeed. AW2 has a hard requirement for Mesh Shading (and thus DX12 Ultimate) compatibility; IIRC the game will run if you attempt to boot it on a Pascal/Maxwell card, but the vertex shader can't keep up at all and results in massive graphical issues, and that's if you have enough VRAM to run the thing.

Babby is correct in that folks using Pascal cards in 2024 should look at the Radeon RX 6000 series if they're on a budget, and consider the GeForce 4070+ or Radeon RX 7800+ if they're looking for a proper jump at the current point in time.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just another excuse to post a video by my a fine figure of a man. I could listen to him wax lyrical about BVH trees til the cows come home :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3PkRbeO8A

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Bottlenecking one or the other depends entirely on the game. Some need more CPU, some need more GPU. I've got a 5800X3D and a GTX 1080 and it's fine for 1440p but I also don't play many new games that would bog it down.

1080 is not ok for 1440p unless its 1440p @ 60 or older games.

The new GPU are absolute monsters and the games are starting to assume you have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INKopJ2lp40

Babby Formed posted:

at 1440p upgrading the CPU is going to matter less. You could move quite a bit up from a 1080 without really holding the card back at all. There's some 380 dollar 6800 cards that're probably peaking price:performance right now but if you want nvidia a 4070S isn't going to be super held back at 1440p.

This is the correct answer.

CPUs can hold on for quite a while, especially when you crank resolution and quality. You cant on the other hand make an old GPU happy with a great new CPU.

Look at that GTX1080 get savaged even with a 13900k.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 1, 2024

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

1080 is not ok for 1440p unless its 1440p @ 60 or older games.

The new GPU are absolute monsters and the games are starting to assume you have them.

I mean tbf that means the 1080 is still basically keeping up with console performance in a lot of games. Not bad for an 8 year old card to still be relevant on the budget end.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Babby Formed posted:

I mean tbf that means the 1080 is still basically keeping up with console performance in a lot of games. Not bad for an 8 year old card to still be relevant on the budget end.

It’s definitely behind consoles at this point, the consuls do 4K.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SpaceDrake posted:

Alan Wake indeed. AW2 has a hard requirement for Mesh Shading (and thus DX12 Ultimate) compatibility; IIRC the game will run if you attempt to boot it on a Pascal/Maxwell card, but the vertex shader can't keep up at all and results in massive graphical issues, and that's if you have enough VRAM to run the thing.

Babby is correct in that folks using Pascal cards in 2024 should look at the Radeon RX 6000 series if they're on a budget, and consider the GeForce 4070+ or Radeon RX 7800+ if they're looking for a proper jump at the current point in time.

Not hard requirement, it got patched to increase performance on Pascal markedly

Still highly recommended though

spunkshui posted:

Reconstructed poorly from low resolutions with FSR2, which Pascal can do just as well

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just a word to cat owners considering fractal design cases - the meshify series uses holes that are the exact size for a cat's claws to get stuck in. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does happen it's a pain in the rear end trying to free the claws (when my cat jumps on top of my PC, under my desk, in the 3" of room there). The North mesh case has holes that are too small for this to be an issue so I would probably recommend that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm having trouble picking a B650 motherboard from microcenter. When I go down the review rabbit hole, no matter which board I'm looking at, I find dealbreaker level issues (like audio stuttering on the MSI Tomahawk). I'm trying to get something in the $150-200 range for a 7800x3d for typical gaming use. The only feature I care about beyond "just works" is a nice audio codec. Here are some of the ones I've been considering, but I"m open to suggestion (as long as it is carried by MC).

https://www.microcenter.com/product/659662/msi-b650-mag-tomahawk-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

https://www.microcenter.com/product/660139/asrock-b650-pg-lighting-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

open box one of these: https://www.microcenter.com/product/660137/asrock-b650e-pg-riptide-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard ($160 open box)

Thanks thread.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Maybe have a look at the Hardware Unboxed video called something like "35 B650 roundup". Very informative.
Also available as an article on techspot if you prefer to read it.

Also one from a couple of weeks ago about recent updated boards (that all suck) is worth watching.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I'm having trouble picking a B650 motherboard from microcenter. When I go down the review rabbit hole, no matter which board I'm looking at, I find dealbreaker level issues (like audio stuttering on the MSI Tomahawk). I'm trying to get something in the $150-200 range for a 7800x3d for typical gaming use. The only feature I care about beyond "just works" is a nice audio codec. Here are some of the ones I've been considering, but I"m open to suggestion (as long as it is carried by MC).

https://www.microcenter.com/product/659662/msi-b650-mag-tomahawk-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

https://www.microcenter.com/product/660139/asrock-b650-pg-lighting-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

open box one of these: https://www.microcenter.com/product/660137/asrock-b650e-pg-riptide-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard ($160 open box)

Thanks thread.

100% would not go for any open box motherboard. There's too many little things that may have not made it back in the box, too many pins and connectors that the original purchaser may have hosed up, etc etc. The savings also don't seem really worth it. I wouldn't want to be 3 months into a new build and be having some kind of issue and have to wonder whether my open box motherboard is making GBS threads the bed. Sorry I can't point you in the direction of any specific product.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

It's behind but not outrageously so. 4k specifically is rough but 2k and 1080p it's more about turning off fancy features and hoping mesh shading doesn't become the norm.

If you compare to the Series S it's still trading blows.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Thanks thread.

You're buying a 7800x3d from microcenter why would you not just go with the gaming x combo? If the on board audio isn't to your standard just grab an apple DAC and call it a day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VelociBacon posted:

100% would not go for any open box motherboard. There's too many little things that may have not made it back in the box, too many pins and connectors that the original purchaser may have hosed up, etc etc. The savings also don't seem really worth it. I wouldn't want to be 3 months into a new build and be having some kind of issue and have to wonder whether my open box motherboard is making GBS threads the bed. Sorry I can't point you in the direction of any specific product.

I don't totally agree with this as an open box motherboard from Micro Center owner. The motherboard itself was still in its original sealed antistatic bag. If that's the case, it's totally fine. I think I saved 15 bucks because someone had literally opened the external packaging and returned it. If the board isn't in the original sealed bag, I agree that it is not a good idea.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Babby Formed posted:

It's behind but not outrageously so. 4k specifically is rough but 2k and 1080p it's more about turning off fancy features and hoping mesh shading doesn't become the norm.

It's a good bit more powerful than a Series S, the Series S is about as powerful as a GTX 1060.

What is 2K? I thought that 2k and 1080p were the same.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

1440p probably.
Iirc it's more like 2.5, but close enough I guess.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009
  • What country are you in?
    US, PNW
  • Do you live near Microcenter?
    No and I genuinely don't understand how there isn't at least one in loving idaho or something.

I'd like to replace my case as it's gotten pretty banged up over the years and I never really liked it that much in the first place. I'd like an atx mid tower with either a steel or mesh side panel and not glass or acrylic. I'm fine with the arctic p12s I'm using so I don't need to worry about the fans on the case. I'd like for the case itself to have at least one usb-C port, preferably more, and I need it to be able to support at least 2 and ideally more 3.5 inch drive bays and as many 2 inch ones as I can get. Additionally, it needs enough CPU cooler clearance to handle a peerless assassin. Ideally I'd like the case to be less than 100 dollars, as this is eating into my GPU fund and I'm starting to feel that itch a bit too.

Plugging that into PCPP I basically just get one result of the Silverstone FARA 513 type-c, which does utilitarianisticly fit my needs but I just don't like it's aesthetic. I know PCPP doesn't list everything though, and I'm hoping people here have other ideas. If not, I guess I'll just slap this thing the hell up with stickers. Thanks for any advice!

edit: Would be nice if the USB ports were on the top but that's not a dealbreaker. 350mm is basically the minimum I'm shooting for in terms of gpu length support.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 1, 2024

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

2560x1440p. Fry's and Microcenter both labelled them as 2k in store and it stuck for me.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a good bit more powerful than a Series S, the Series S is about as powerful as a GTX 1060.

2K does refer to 2048 pixels across (which is close to 1920x1080) and when a movie is mastered in 2K that's what it means.

95% of the time people will (incorrectly) use it to mean 2560x1440 display resolution though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Babby Formed posted:

You're buying a 7800x3d from microcenter why would you not just go with the gaming x combo? If the on board audio isn't to your standard just grab an apple DAC and call it a day.

I agree with this 100%. Unless you need something more than standard stereo out, the Apple DAC is like $10 and has as good of sound quality as things approaching or above $100.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Kibner posted:

I agree with this 100%. Unless you need something more than standard stereo out, the Apple DAC is like $10 and has as good of sound quality as things approaching or above $100.

Kibner often has the best post on any page, and here's another one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Babby Formed posted:

You can change out the mobo/ram and still get the discount on the processor. I'm not sure if that is intended but it let me place an order with a tomahawk mobo and slightly better RAM for ~550.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

willroc7 posted:

You can change out the mobo/ram and still get the discount on the processor. I'm not sure if that is intended but it let me place an order with a tomahawk mobo and slightly better RAM for ~550.

Yeah, there seems to be a hidden ~$150 - $160 discount being applied when adding a 7800X3D plus memory and a compatible motherboard to your cart (the exact discount amount seems to depend on the memory selected). If you use the same memory as what's in the usual $499 bundle, the discount is only $10 lower than the bundle discount, so it may be worth it to upgrade to a better motherboard if you want.

I think the Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX is pretty good though I don't know if it's worth the extra $40 over the regular Gaming X bundle. It all depends on your needs. Look at the IO and storage options you think you'll need and then get a motherboard that suits this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 1, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

For what it's worth, I got a Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX and I'm very happy with it.
(especially after my Asus Prime piece of poo poo, but it is good on it's won merits too)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Babby Formed posted:

It really comes down to what games you play and whether or not your computer is able to play them well enough.

No reason to rush out and buy a top-of-the-line computer when you enjoy games that are running fine because 8 years from now we will be making fun of 40 series cards for being trash just like always.

No one is making arguments for a GTX 980.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Babby Formed posted:

2560x1440p. Fry's and Microcenter both labelled them as 2k in store and it stuck for me.

I really wish we had just stuck up actual numbers of pixels instead of trying to swap to the fancy 4K

“UHD generally refers to the resolution of 3840 × 2160 pixels, and it's the common resolution for TVs and monitors. On the other hand, 4K Full HD, often called just 4K, is technically a professional production and cinema standard and refers to a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels.”

But since we had to give things all fancy second names instead of sticking to the number of pixels people get it screwed up instead of something that’s literally impossible to get wrong because it’s the number of pixels.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

I really wish we had just stuck up actual numbers of pixels instead of trying to swap to the fancy 4K

I'm mostly glad people don't stick to the 3/4 letter names because they're all unmemorable as gently caress.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Babby Formed posted:

I'm mostly glad people don't stick to the 3/4 letter names because they're all unmemorable as gently caress.

Going back in time and branding XGA, better known as 1024x768, as 1K.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, there seems to be a hidden ~$150 - $160 discount being applied when adding a 7800X3D plus memory and a compatible motherboard to your cart (the exact discount amount seems to depend on the memory selected). If you use the same memory as what's in the usual $499 bundle, the discount is only $10 lower than the bundle discount, so it may be worth it to upgrade to a better motherboard if you want.

I think the Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX is pretty good though I don't know if it's worth the extra $40 over the regular Gaming X bundle. It all depends on your needs. Look at the IO and storage options you think you'll need and then get a motherboard that suits this.

Oh if they're just letting you get whatever the hell motherboard you want now I think I'd see if I could get them to price match newegg's 179.99 on the b650e pg riptide

edit: absolutely a motherboard I'd get that DAC for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I wanted optical out and goddamn are they charging an idiot tax* on that particular feature on AM5 boards :cry:

*at least back in December when I bought mine