Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Schadenboner posted:

Does it have high intrigue and low politics among the fractious tribes of not!-Mongolians on not!-Mongolia planet?

Asking for a friend.

Nope, sadly the book starts just after the Emperor finds Jaghatai and brings him back to Terra.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

does jaghatai get to dunk on malcador

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I didn't like the new Cain novel and I'm finding it hard to put my finger on why. Felt a little phoned in, and just failed to grip me. :shrug:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I didn't like the new Cain novel and I'm finding it hard to put my finger on why. Felt a little phoned in, and just failed to grip me. :shrug:

The excerpt a few posts up was awfully written so I'm not surprised.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Syncopated posted:

The excerpt a few posts up was awfully written so I'm not surprised.

Glad you said that. I had to read that a couple of times to follow it. Definitely not the usual standard

Telsa Cola posted:

A better comparsion would be that RBs armor is basically a primarch sized terminator armor that functions as a dreadnaught.

Like I havent read the book but the whole I cant get out of this armor thing and it sucks is what dreadnoughts go through too. Its why a bunch of them freak out when they wake up or beg to not be put into the armor.

Wouldn't the indoctrinated zealot 40k era marines see internment in a dreadnaught as an honour? Obviously once the reality of being an entombed kill-bot sets in they may get a little cranky, but I would have thought being a venerated chapter icon would be something they would embrace rather than beg to avoid?

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 6, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The zealousness of the Space marines is more of a spectrum then anything. Keep in mind that a bunch of the chapters dont see the emperor as a god and find it a human failing that baseline humans do.

And nah, some of them expect to go down fighting and giving their life while still being flesh and blood so when they allllmooost die and tech priest says that they are going to put them in a big metal box they freak out. This is chapter dependent though since Im sure Ironhands love that poo poo.

Being a dreadnaught also sucks in general and im fairly sure thats why most go into stasis/sleep mode when they are not needed. Apparently they start going insane and start disassociating. Bjorn is notable in that he is still fairly sane but has his moments.

Edit: Its why a few of the books have waking up dreadnaughts be a kinda dangerous thing.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 6, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dog_Meat posted:

Glad you said that. I had to read that a couple of times to follow it. Definitely not the usual standard

Wouldn't the indoctrinated zealot 40k era marines see internment in a dreadnaught as an honour? Obviously once the reality of being an entombed kill-bot sets in they may get a little cranky, but I would have thought being a venerated chapter icon would be something they would embrace rather than beg to avoid?

The more run wild/run free chapters (White Scars and the Ahwoos come to mind but *possibly* Raven Guard as well) wouldn't be fans probably?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I can see space wolves being firmly split on it. Half go "Yeah but think about the poo poo you can gently caress up" and the other half go "You cant go drinking or eating"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Honour and Iron establishes two really interesting things about the Primaris Marines-

1. They're dumb as hell, maybe just naive, but the grizzled small Ultramarine chaplain seems to have to smack some common sense into them.
2. EVERYONE in the setting with passing knowledge of Thunderwarriors is freaking the gently caress out about an upcoming cull, so... cool?
3. Iron Warriors seem to be one of the new legions of focus, there's been a ton of novels with a focus on them coming out recently, so maybe they're up for a refresh next.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Immanentized posted:

Honour and Iron establishes two really interesting things about the Primaris Marines-

1. They're dumb as hell, maybe just naive, but the grizzled small Ultramarine chaplain seems to have to smack some common sense into them.
2. EVERYONE in the setting with passing knowledge of Thunderwarriors is freaking the gently caress out about an upcoming cull, so... cool?
3. Iron Warriors seem to be one of the new legions of focus, there's been a ton of novels with a focus on them coming out recently, so maybe they're up for a refresh next.

They were featured in the Cult of the Warmason (no spoilers please, I'm only like half-done with it).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How does one poop in a dreadnought do you have a tube up your butt or like you just let it go and swim around in it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

How does one poop in a dreadnought do you have a tube up your butt or like you just let it go and swim around in it

Do people on an all-liquid diet have to poop?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure it's all tubes

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Waroduce posted:

Theyre subsumed in an amniotic fluid aren't they? Can't poop if you don't eat.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Immanentized posted:

I like the idea that things like this would force guilliman to go around convincing everyone "look, im not my dad, okay!!!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Best dread is Nume or whatever from Lords of Silence just a hugely hosed up monster of a dreadnought running around eating whatever and whoever it gets its hands on

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

Ummm... I think you'll find space marines' bodies produce no waste??????? :goonsay:

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
it's canon that space marine armor automatically jacks them off

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bango skank posted:

Ummm... I think you'll find space marines' bodies produce no waste??????? :goonsay:

Only the Emperor is holy enough to poop.

And then the Grey Knights make poop bullets out of his bodily discharges.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

adebisi lives posted:

That's Halo.

Space Marines just convert their pent up sexual urges into murdering xenos/heretics

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In Space Marine, the chaplain drinks some blood from each dead marine, then poops it out into perfect marbles that are stored in a remembrance shrine.

Ian Watson is gonzo awesome.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

adebisi lives posted:

Zil posted:

That's Halo.

Space Marines just convert their pent up sexual urges into murdering xenos/heretics

Black Mirror sort of had a thing like that in the most recent season too?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 7, 2018

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kind of surprised ash diamonds aren't a thing in the setting, because it's perfectly grimdark to be bedazzled in diamonds made of your fallen servants or something.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

adebisi lives posted:

I’ll regret having this in my posting history, but what’s this about armor that gives people handies??

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I’ll regret having this in my posting history, but what’s this about armor that gives people handies??

I guess my question would be more about whether it has pre-set patterns or if there’s a machine spirit dedicated to it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's from one of the Halo novels

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SardonicTyrant posted:

Kind of surprised ash diamonds aren't a thing in the setting, because it's perfectly grimdark to be bedazzled in diamonds made of your fallen servants or something.

Isn't this more-or-less what spirit stones are?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a loving Dril tweet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

I guess my question would be more about whether it has pre-set patterns or if there’s a machine spirit dedicated to it?

I'm making a decision that in my head-canon the revolt of the Men of Iron began when a dissatisfied JOAI (or "Joy Bot" as they were referred to) seized the means of production and started the revolution.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

*bursts through wall* is it time for do-space-marines-gently caress chat again?!?!

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Tech-Marines being highly revered jizz-moppers of Space Marine codpieces does help explain all the poo poo they wear and put up with.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

ive read all those books and that aint in them

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Immanentized posted:

That's a loving Dril tweet.

dril is canon :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Automated transhuman onanism, I see :hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean how else would the Emp's Children get the time to actually do the war stuff?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

Isn't this more-or-less what spirit stones are?
Not quite. They're stones into which your soul moves when your body dies, to stop it being eaten by Slaanesh, with the intention of them being placed into the Craftworld's wraithbone structure so you join with the soul-matrix thing that I don't remember the name of after death. If they need you after that they can pop it out and stick you into a Wraithguard body. The other ones that festoon Eldar models are presumably backups, decoys, and just plain ol' bling.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

moths posted:

In Space Marine, the chaplain drinks some blood from each dead marine, then poops it out into perfect marbles that are stored in a remembrance shrine.

When I got to that passage I almost couldn't believe what I was reading, then cackled loudly.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

"We'll make diamonds out of their ashes, take them into battle with us. A shining light to our brother-in-arms, even in death."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZiX-Wvkyw

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Even in death I still shine on you crazy diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The glorious Space Marine Chapter of Diamond Dogs. Which Legion do you think they'd come from?