Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cant wait to fudge/ace a roll and be turned into a cursed/blessed fish and then immediately begin to air drown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So in that blog he mentioned spreading evil, which is a cool way for you to have an effect on the world.
He mentions disaster forts, so I assume this means if something evil takes over your fort, it will then spread it's evil from there, allowing a future hero to quest into an old fort and defeat that evil.

Sounds like an amazing way to link fortress and adventure modes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress I got into Kruggsmash's fortresses and I'm installing DF and generating a new world aaaaaa

IT BEGINS AGAIN

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Moridin920 posted:

I don't have much to add to the preceding good FPS discussion other than this sounds bugged as hell right here. Dunno that the normal FPS alleviation tactics are going to do much. It takes hours in real time for the season to tick over? What's your actual FPS? You can turn the counter on via the init settings.

300 dwarves and a bunch of animals shouldn't make it that slow unless you're on a really old processor.

Not sure if people mentioned the fort size but if you embarked on larger than 3x3 that might be an issue too.

Also re pastures - I don't think they bug out FPS too much anymore. iirc it is better to pasture than to leave a ton of them running around willy nilly. Best is caging non-grazers. What WILL bug out FPS is if you have doors that are locked for animals because the animal pathfinding will constantly try to go through there and get stuck and get in a loop.

Will drop your FPS even more in most circumstances though.

Use dfhack to clean all and to destroy all the garbage you likely have lying around (old corpses, random weapons/gear from dead enemies, broken bolts, etc.) and you should get a decent boost.

If you're on an older processor embark on 1x1 with a max pop of like 50-80 at most and curtail animal populations. Avoid running water/lava.

I waited to respond until I got home and could actually mess around. The slow fort's FPS swings between 15-30 FPS, with an average around 20. My processor is an i7-6700K @ 4GHz; it's not the newest but it's far from a potato. I believe the fort play area is 4x4; it was whatever the default size is because I didn't realize I could adjust it. I ran "clean map units items" in DFHack. It looks like it blipped up to 27FPS for a few seconds before settling back around 20FPS. I am taking these measurements with the default window size. I get more like 15FPS if I expand it to 1920x1200. The report from the command:

quote:

Cleaned 157 of 26784 map blocks.
Removed 500 contaminants from 79 creatures.
Removed 1294 contaminants from 1037 items.

I also tried cleanowned and got nothing a similar boost before settling at 20FPS. Note I'm not saving the results of all this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had a bunch of crossbowgobs attack my two squads of trained and fully armored axe-dwarves which went about like you'd expect. However, I was surprised to see one goblin had its neck amputated - as in, there was a distinct body part, the neck, two tiles away from the main gob corpse (and head).

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the toadyone really should just set the default caps at something lower. i like playing with forts of sub 100 dwarves and it's nice. no complaints!

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Nice! While you guys got that pathfinding figured out, I added growths to the hemp plant that can be processed at the "Budsmokers Lounge"

I'll push this on up to master

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I waited to respond until I got home and could actually mess around. The slow fort's FPS swings between 15-30 FPS, with an average around 20. My processor is an i7-6700K @ 4GHz; it's not the newest but it's far from a potato. I believe the fort play area is 4x4; it was whatever the default size is because I didn't realize I could adjust it. I ran "clean map units items" in DFHack. It looks like it blipped up to 27FPS for a few seconds before settling back around 20FPS. I am taking these measurements with the default window size. I get more like 15FPS if I expand it to 1920x1200. The report from the command:

I also tried cleanowned and got nothing a similar boost before settling at 20FPS. Note I'm not saving the results of all this.

if you upload a save itd be fun to screw around with just to see if theres room for improvement at that level

tbh i strongly suspect there's lurking dumb things eating up frames in the code because thats what it always is. like that one ck2 update where they admitted that ai castration checks was responsible for 70% of ai decision processing usage

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nessus posted:

I had a bunch of crossbowgobs attack my two squads of trained and fully armored axe-dwarves which went about like you'd expect. However, I was surprised to see one goblin had its neck amputated - as in, there was a distinct body part, the neck, two tiles away from the main gob corpse (and head).

As funny as the mental image is, the "neck" body part you see severed includes the head, the same way a severed "lower torso" also inludes the legs.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thunder Sheep posted:

Nice! While you guys got that pathfinding figured out, I added growths to the hemp plant that can be processed at the "Budsmokers Lounge"

I'll push this on up to master

Urist Weedian Dopesmoker cancels job: hitting bong.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i'm playing with Masterwork but this seems like a vanilla feature mixed with a bug. Maybe someone can clarify.

A named "werewolf bard" (Seriously, that's what his job was called.) showed up in the middle of a blizzard at the outskirts of my human fortress-city-in-construction while playing on a world that is mostly iced over to the point that civilizations scrabble for survival 500 years in.

This...motherfucker shows up, appears friendly at first glance, and begins walking to my fort to perform at the tavern. "Cool!", I think. I've never seen what a werewolf considers to be culture and music. Usually they just gently caress things up. Still, I do wonder why he's not listed as hostile or berserk. Maybe it was because he was already transformed and was a bard when he first showed up at the edge of the map? Regardless, I turn my attention to other matters having seen he isn't an immediate threat.

So this furry bastard gets into the tavern. All eyes stop and rest on him! Perhaps as somewhat of an omen of what's to come the tavern keeper suddenly makes himself scarce, vanishing behind the bar to work on preparing meals in the kitchen. Even the dancers twirling about on the dance floor come to a halt and watch this hulking creature. It's like a scene straight out of a cheesy western.

With an awkward pause the werewolf bard strolls to the center of the common room and clears his throat before beginning to sing us the song of his people. One howl later and he goes ape poo poo on the inhabitants, ripping and tearing like the Doom Guy just burrowed his way into Hell. Turns out culture for werewolves means loving poo poo up in increasingly gory and over the top ways. Looking at his state in the unit screen reveals it has changed from friendly to berserk like most were-creatures tend to do.

When it's done, the werewolf strolls out into the blizzard and disappears into the ether. For some reason despite still being berserk he ignores any of the citizens. He leaves the torn and mutilated remains of a visiting dwarf baroness's personal guard alongside a succubus dancer that was also performing before he showed up. The baroness flees the city soon after, almost certainly carrying the contagion of lycanthropy back to her people.

I'm guessing that whatever code that handles bards and musicians glitched out and took precedence over him starting a performance instead of being a werewolf. So once he started performing it defaulted back to him going berserk. But still, it was hilariously badass nonetheless. Dude just straight up infiltrated a fortress under good intentions before assassinating the personal guards of a noble and leaving her all kinds of hosed up. And then he just wanders off into the storm (Presumably to his next "performance".) like it was no big deal. Fuckin' metal. :black101:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Masterwork has a werewolf race addition along with the succubus stuff. But that's a great werewolf right there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yooper posted:

Is there a good size to make taverns, temples, and libraries? My dwarves just gently caress off all day getting shitfaced, pondering darkness, or reading. Like three dwarves are doing all the damned work.

This is what taverns, temples, and libraries do. You used to be able to avoid it by just not building them, but that eventually drives dwarves insane now. (And before that they start to get "distracted" which makes them work slower anyways.)

If you waited a really long time before building them I think the amount of time dwarves spend partying goes down slightly as their need for recreation/worship/etc. decreases but I haven't really tested it extensively.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 26, 2019

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gambling, eh? Can't wait for military dwarfs getting slaughtered because they lost their adamantine sword to some bard in a game of dice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Siljmonster posted:

Urist Weedian Dopesmoker cancels job: hitting bong.

The Forgotten Beast Weedlord Bonerhitler has arrived! A great smoke colossus, it flies through the air! Beware the dank vapors!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A Dropbox link to my save if you want to see what I've been up to: https://www.dropbox.com/s/phwunfxlo83jhvn/region1.zip?dl=1

I'll take general tips too. I don't think I've been managing piles too well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I started penning up livestock in 3x3 boxes (outside) with the males in a cage in the center. The 3x3 area was designated as a pasture. It's closed with a door. Now dfhack is warning me that they're all starving. I don't think I did this right.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I started penning up livestock in 3x3 boxes (outside) with the males in a cage in the center. The 3x3 area was designated as a pasture. It's closed with a door. Now dfhack is warning me that they're all starving. I don't think I did this right.

Bigger animals need bigger pastures to not starve. 3×3 miiiight be enough for a single goat but I'd not risk it usually grazing space is pretty easy to come by

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you look on the wiki there should be some deal telling you how many squares of grazeable land each grazing animal needs to not starve, on average

back when i last saw it it still had elephants listed as an animal that will still starve if given infinite land, due to being unable to eat faster than it gains hunger, so idk where the table is now or how well kept it is

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

my dad posted:

As funny as the mental image is, the "neck" body part you see severed includes the head, the same way a severed "lower torso" also inludes the legs.
But it is theoretically possible for the neck specifically to be destroyed or severed, right? Like something got hit with two really bad attacks right after each other the head could get cut off/mulched/etc and then the neck could get cut off/mulched/etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

if you look on the wiki there should be some deal telling you how many squares of grazeable land each grazing animal needs to not starve, on average

back when i last saw it it still had elephants listed as an animal that will still starve if given infinite land, due to being unable to eat faster than it gains hunger, so idk where the table is now or how well kept it is

There are no longer any animals that will starve with infinite land.

(Except maybe pandas, and only because of bamboo scarcity not because it's physically impossible to give them a large enough pasture to cover their energy needs.)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are no longer any animals that will starve with infinite land.

(Except maybe pandas, and only because of bamboo scarcity not because it's physically impossible to give them a large enough pasture to cover their energy needs.)

The simulation is perfect.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually set the grazing ratio or whatever it is in the init to 2x so it's not such a huge concern but yeah the grazing behavior has been improved a lot lately anyway I think.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A Dropbox link to my save if you want to see what I've been up to: https://www.dropbox.com/s/phwunfxlo83jhvn/region1.zip?dl=1

I'll take general tips too. I don't think I've been managing piles too well.

Nice, I'll play around with it. Most recent version on the DF website I'm assuming?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 27, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Edit: I just looked up grazing ratios hahaha. I have 7 cows in a 3x3 area. Yap, that'll work. And that's disregarding the yak cows, the water buffalo cows, the reindeer cows, the calfs, and the bulls. I wonder if this fort's making GBS threads out just from all the livestock.

General question about aquifer: Can't I just start digging into them and just try to pump it out faster than it comes in? I was trying to understand the methods for getting around them and it's all a bunch of really tedious bullshit. I can't imagine that's the idea behind it.

Moridin920 posted:

Nice, I'll play around with it. Most recent version on the DF website I'm assuming?

0.44.12. DFHack reports 0.44.12-r2. I think it's the latest, but the moment we talk about this stuff is when a new release comes out or whatever.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 27, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

General question about aquifer: Can't I just start digging into them and just try to pump it out faster than it comes in?

Yeah that's what I usually do to keep a square dry enough to smooth/remove the aquifer but you'll likely need 2 pumps per square because it fills up fast.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, aquifer removal is tedious. The more elaborate designs generally exist to address more complicated aquifer scenarios.

First, if the aquifer is in soil rather than stone, you can't smooth the aquifer tiles away; that requires building boundary walls, which means a larger digging footprint, which means more active aquifer tiles adjacent to the dig site, which means more water has to be pumped out. Secondly, you can have multiple levels of aquifer on top of each other. This means you need to be able to place a pump on the first aquifer level, which means an even larger and more elaborate digging footprint and more aquifer tiles to contend with, and for traditional aquifers the flow rate means you'll need a large number of pumps which means the available digging footprint for each successive aquifer layer is smaller than the last because you need room for all of the pumps. A traditional high-flowrate aquifer that extends through three or four layers of soil can be a massive undertaking to punch through and is an engineering project in its own right.

With the new slower aquifers, the complexity should be significantly alleviated, and it helps when smoothing the walls shut is an option. Of course, I highly encourage anyone curious who hasn't tried it go ahead and punch through some multi-layer soil aquifers, the inevitable complaints about job cancellation spam will keep the thread buoyed between updates. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeap, I just tried a site that I think has two layers of sand for its aquifer. There's a river nearby so I'm wondering if I can power pumps from it.

Edit: Roughly how many pumps can a water wheel power?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 27, 2019

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap, I just tried a site that I think has two layers of sand for its aquifer. There's a river nearby so I'm wondering if I can power pumps from it.

100 power per wheel, 10 per pump, plus whatever you use in connecting the pump to the wheel. 8-10

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, aquifer removal is tedious. The more elaborate designs generally exist to address more complicated aquifer scenarios.

First, if the aquifer is in soil rather than stone, you can't smooth the aquifer tiles away; that requires building boundary walls, which means a larger digging footprint, which means more active aquifer tiles adjacent to the dig site, which means more water has to be pumped out. Secondly, you can have multiple levels of aquifer on top of each other. This means you need to be able to place a pump on the first aquifer level, which means an even larger and more elaborate digging footprint and more aquifer tiles to contend with, and for traditional aquifers the flow rate means you'll need a large number of pumps which means the available digging footprint for each successive aquifer layer is smaller than the last because you need room for all of the pumps. A traditional high-flowrate aquifer that extends through three or four layers of soil can be a massive undertaking to punch through and is an engineering project in its own right.

With the new slower aquifers, the complexity should be significantly alleviated, and it helps when smoothing the walls shut is an option. Of course, I highly encourage anyone curious who hasn't tried it go ahead and punch through some multi-layer soil aquifers, the inevitable complaints about job cancellation spam will keep the thread buoyed between updates. :v:
The method I used to breach aquifers was to drop a solid un-tunneled chunk out of a layer above it that was not aquifer into it after channeling out a large section of the aquifer, then digging down through that non-aquifer material that was now in the aquifer layer. I found pumping to be far too tedious. a 5x5 slab of dropped dirt is more than enough for you to carve a path for wagons to proceed down to an internal depot with.

Mind you, I have also used this method to drop sand down to the magma forges for glass production. I like cave-ins.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
How do you fix clutter at a workshop?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Make sure you have appropriate stockpiles and haulers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, workshop clutter is caused by too much crap (generally finished products or byproducts) sitting around in the workshop building with nowhere to be hauled to or no one to haul it.

Some workshops have products that can be slightly confusing to try to stockpile correctly, so if it's stuff you think you have space designated for and you have plenty of non-busy, non-tavern-loafing haulers, it might be worth double-checking the wiki for stockpile category assignments.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Sometimes I just de-construct the workshop in question and re-build it in the same place. This forces dwarves to haul all of the poo poo off the 3x3 workshop space before they can build it again. Doesn't address the key issue and could interfere if you have complicated "haul this from here to there" logistics chains set up, but works in a pinch. Same for the Trade Depot.

e: They don't haul the clutter where it is supposed to go, they just chuck it 1 square to the side or into the doorway but at least your workshop speed will stop incurring the cluttered speed penalty.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 27, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So, dwarves don't play stationary instruments right? Like I need instruments for my tavern so I just built like six solid gold accordion-tubas, but apparently they don't count? Little disappointed tbh.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

So, dwarves don't play stationary instruments right? Like I need instruments for my tavern so I just built like six solid gold accordion-tubas, but apparently they don't count? Little disappointed tbh.
Don't you have to put down a coffer for the dwarfs to stash their tubas and bongs in? And then they'll take 'em out when they want them and put them back when they're done, while putting down an instrument means you're like, displaying it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You can power a waterwheel off pump-generated flow.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Laws of Thermodynamics have no hold on your fortress.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Waterwheels produce "90" power (the wheel produces 100 but 10 is also spent by the wheel), and a screw pump takes 10 power to run. Axles and gearboxes needed to transfer the power will take some, so if you don't make a perpetual motion machine you can run up to 8 screw pumps per wheel depending on how far away your power is being generated. Remember you can stack multiple waterwheels on the same gear assembly.

Keep in mind you'll need stone for your mechanisms, so consider embarking with some raw stone so that you can make some - all the stone on site is probably going to be under the aquifer.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

Keep in mind you'll need stone for your mechanisms, so consider embarking with some raw stone so that you can make some - all the stone on site is probably going to be under the aquifer.

Well, there goes my most recent attempt...

Edit: Is there a way to sort out civilizations when embarking? I have had at least two cases of just two dwarven civilizations. Or is that normal at first?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Waterwheels produce "90" power (the wheel produces 100 but 10 is also spent by the wheel), and a screw pump takes 10 power to run. Axles and gearboxes needed to transfer the power will take some, so if you don't make a perpetual motion machine you can run up to 8 screw pumps per wheel depending on how far away your power is being generated. Remember you can stack multiple waterwheels on the same gear assembly.

Couldn't you Iron Chef it up if need be and sell huge stacks of prepared meals to the outpost in order to get stoned up? I know they always bring blocks... just not many unless you ask.