Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What is the monster nest bug and how can it get me some nekker hearts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

cheesetriangles posted:

What is the monster nest bug and how can it get me some nekker hearts?

When you destroy a monster nest and loot it, leave at least one item in it, spin around so the nest goes out of your view then back into it, loot it again, and the other items will have respawned.

You can do this forever.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really dig the voice acting and talking animations. Game is ridiculously high quality.

It's really great cause my last witcher game was 15 minutes of witcher 1 pre patch.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

While of course I don't blame people for trying to play the game however they want, I don't think the game is really designed to be played without putting at least some points in swords.

This playthrough I'm actually going only swords, I think. Last time I speciallize in only fast attack and adrenaline, and then went alchemy. This time I'm aiming for a 55 point sword build. It's going to be so brutal.

My build last game was all 4 quick and strong attacks fully leveled, melt armor, fire stream, delusion, acquired tolerance.

Used two greater reds, greater blue, greater green.

It's a fun as gently caress build and I'm probay keeping it for NG+

EDIT:
Also I use griffin school gear because dat sign boost.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 19, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Now, as good as W3 is, this just isn't true. Games being "cinematic" has been a thing for awhile. Many games have done a good job, and many more have tried and done poorly.

Your "much less optional ones" is pretty close to the mark. Witche 2 and 3 have a pretty unprecedented level of high quality completely miss-able content.

I can understand the cinematic remark, but I'm more talking about the level of subtlety rather than the amount of set-pieces. Take my example for instance I could've totally misinterpreted the point of the scene but I can still appreciate that they don't hold my hand and tell me what I'm feeling. Maybe I extrapolated my feelings but I feel like Witcher 3 had more effective examples of subtlety than recent games that taut cinematic visuals and set-pieces. Whereas their characters are more static compared to this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FauxGateau posted:

I can understand the cinematic remark, but I'm more talking about the level of subtlety rather than the amount of set-pieces. Take my example for instance I could've totally misinterpreted the point of the scene but I can still appreciate that they don't hold my hand and tell me what I'm feeling. Maybe I extrapolated my feelings but I feel like Witcher 3 had more effective examples of subtlety than recent games that taut cinematic visuals and set-pieces. Whereas their characters are more static compared to this.

No, I mean cinematic treatment of characters, especially in scenes with no dialogue.

Games like Metal Gear Solid were doing this almost 20 years ago.

I just think it's selling a lot of artists short to say something like "It's just that no games even try to have moments like that."

Wild Hunt is a good example of handling characters visually, but it's hardly alone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's almost alone. Most games don't do that. There's a reason the franchise you mentioned has the reputation it does.

I agree with him about subtlety. This game does not treat its audience like children. You've gotta be prepared to work for things, to think about what's happening. Not have it explained to you or shoved in your face.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Sharmat posted:

The scene with Geralt and Yennefer at the end of Last Wish is one of the only times I've actually seen animated lips locking in a video game. And even then they pan the camera away from it in short order because it's so hard to animate they don't want to have to do it for long.

Gotta be honest I think Assassin's Creed unity has been the only game to make a kissing scene look real.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh speaking of subtle poo poo, I forgot to post this.

You know how the Baron's men are stealing cattle and stuff from the locals in Velen? I don't think it's for their benefit. Did the Baron's questline again awhile ago and at the start of it he's talking a bunch of crap with a Nilfgaardian who before leaving says "I don't care how you do it, just make the deliveries on time". They're using the Baron's Temerian deserters to drive divisions within the local populace, supply Army Group Center, then they're going to just hang them all for plundering to look good after it's over. Nilfgaard gets its army supplied, they get Velen under control, they get to look good, all while keeping their hands clean as far as the locals are concerned.

Really impressive they managed to make Nilfgaard almost look like good guys despite the black armor, imperialism, and German accents, then it turns out no they're not remotely good guys at all, they're awful, they're just clever about it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta say, I don't care if they slaughter those bastards. I was checking the noticeboard for the ArchGriffin contract in Crows Perch yesterday and I saw notices about giving one hundred lashes to 4 people and threatening fifty lashes for refusing to hand over food. That's loving insane, its just death by torture. It completely stunned me for a few seconds. The fifteen lashes in White Orchard was an absurd amount already.

That said, Nilfgaard isn't good, no. But they're still arguably better than the alternatives in the North.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 19, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
IIRC the 15 lashes in White Orchard was specified to be with a kind of whip that would leave little permanent injury. 50 lashes by contrast is a literal death sentence. In real life, after a sentence like that is carried out, you'd be able to see the punished's ribcage. From behind.

The thing is, Nilfgaard is allowing and to an extent encouraging this kind of thing to go on...as long as their officers aren't seen to be the ones doing it. They put the Baron and his men in charge of the area, and they know drat well what's going on. They just don't care, as long as their army gets supplied and the insurgents don't interrupt it. So they're culpable as well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Iron Rose posted:

Gotta be honest I think Assassin's Creed unity has been the only game to make a kissing scene look real.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

IIRC the 15 lashes in White Orchard was specified to be with a kind of whip that would leave little permanent injury. 50 lashes by contrast is a literal death sentence. In real life, after a sentence like that is carried out, you'd be able to see the punished's ribcage. From behind.

The thing is, Nilfgaard is allowing and to an extent encouraging this kind of thing to go on...as long as their officers aren't seen to be the ones doing it. They put the Baron and his men in charge of the area, and they know drat well what's going on. They just don't care, as long as their army gets supplied and the insurgents don't interrupt it. So they're culpable as well.

Ah, yeah Wikipedia does suggest that 15 lashes with a knout isn't quite as nuts as I'd thought. I guess White Orchard guy isn't all that bad, just kind of bad.

True, but I'm not sure they're in a position to do anything different. I doubt they have the manpower to hold Velen themselves on top of maintaining the war front and they do need supplies as much as anyone else. Not sure how viable it would be to demand better standards from them either, these guys aren't exactly big on rules that they're not enforcing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Completed the Gwent card collection, time to leave the game aside for awhile and tackle other games in my backlog, then either play around with New Game+ or just wait for the expansion. A bunch of my achievements never came up though so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if new patches apply them retroactively.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nephthys posted:

Ah, yeah Wikipedia does suggest that 15 lashes with a knout isn't quite as nuts as I'd thought. I guess White Orchard guy isn't all that bad, just kind of bad.

True, but I'm not sure they're in a position to do anything different. I doubt they have the manpower to hold Velen themselves on top of maintaining the war front and they do need supplies as much as anyone else. Not sure how viable it would be to demand better standards from them either, these guys aren't exactly big on rules that they're not enforcing.

This is strategically the best thing for them to do. They already tried to hold it themselves before and it was too much trouble. It's just quite amoral. That said I'm sure they've considered how good they'll look in contrast to these guys when they take over the area from them directly and hang them; and as a consequence aren't losing any nights' sleep over it. It's kind of like in Dune when Baron Harkonnen sent that one completely brutal and depraved relative to hold Arrakis just so he could "save" them from him later.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

pik_d posted:

When you destroy a monster nest and loot it, leave at least one item in it, spin around so the nest goes out of your view then back into it, loot it again, and the other items will have respawned.

You can do this forever.

Can't do this forever, it stops respawning eventually, after looting it for 30 times or so

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Trying a replay now that all the dlc has been released. The upgrade to windows 10 seems to have given me some extra fps to play with so was able to bump most settings to high on my very modest hd7850 (slightly overclocked). Along with turning off most elements of the hud and using the immersive hud mod (hides the minimap except when using witcher senses), I've fallen in love with the game again, it looks so beautiful!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A village woman saw me and just told me to go away or she'll smear my rear end with honey. In Witcher 3, not in real life though.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

dude, your face...

Palpek posted:

A village woman saw me and just told me to go away or she'll smear my rear end with honey. In Witcher 3, not in real life though.

I was wondering why the dudes on skellige were making comments asking if it'd been honeyed yet

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What the christ
:catstare:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So maybe it's just the difference between B&BB and DM, but even at level 37, a group of 35 anything can wreck my poo poo. I think a lot of it is just me getting too casual towards the end of my real game because nothing could stop me.

Also, I don't have the option to challenge people to Gwent, is anyone else having that issue? I also was able to get three decoys off the barmaid in White Orchard already. :xd:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inevitablelongshot posted:

Trying a replay now that all the dlc has been released. The upgrade to windows 10 seems to have given me some extra fps to play with so was able to bump most settings to high on my very modest hd7850 (slightly overclocked). Along with turning off most elements of the hud and using the immersive hud mod (hides the minimap except when using witcher senses), I've fallen in love with the game again, it looks so beautiful!

That's a really cool idea for a mod

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Completed it last night finally. 105 hours on Death March. Left most of Skellige's question marks unexplored, all of Velen/Novigrad completed. All quests completed.

What a game.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I built a new computer since starting this, and I want to replay from the beginning. But that means I'd have to redownload The Witcher 2 just to get my save from Steam Cloud. What exactly can you miss out on by simulating a save rather than importing one?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

l33t b4c0n posted:

I built a new computer since starting this, and I want to replay from the beginning. But that means I'd have to redownload The Witcher 2 just to get my save from Steam Cloud. What exactly can you miss out on by simulating a save rather than importing one?

That tattoo that you got on that one mission.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

l33t b4c0n posted:

Nothing important and in fact maybe almost nothing at all except for

pik_d posted:

That tattoo that you got on that one mission.

your Blue Stripes tattoo. Otherwise you can simulate one and it affects a few minor things, probably the most notable is if you save Letho, you can run into him again and he has a cool little quest you'd miss out on otherwise.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Nevermind, I worked it out, my own mistake.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 19, 2015

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just started a new game plus, and chose to simulate the Witcher 2 save... but the game didn't ask me any questions. The first time I played the game I remember it asking questions, and I really don't want to get another 40 hours into the game to discover that Letho isn't at the manor. Anyone know for certain that if you simulate the save on a newgame plus that Letho shows up?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Just started a new game plus, and chose to simulate the Witcher 2 save... but the game didn't ask me any questions. The first time I played the game I remember it asking questions, and I really don't want to get another 40 hours into the game to discover that Letho isn't at the manor. Anyone know for certain that if you simulate the save on a newgame plus that Letho shows up?

The Letho thing is available almost instantly once you reach Velen. You can get there in an hour.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

How far into the game are you? The questions come when you get your choice of doublet.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So I've got a weird technical issue that I think is being caused by The Witcher but I'm not 100% certain. After playing The Witcher through GoG for about 1 hour I'll hear this chime from outside the game (like a generic Windows chime) and after that, even though I can continuing playing the game, if I quit out of the game my PC returns to the desktop but is completely frozen. Mouse and keyboard are not functional. Right now this only appears to happen while playing The Witcher. I'm completely at a loss. I'm running Windows 10 with the latest chipset and sata drivers (P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1), latest video card drivers (GTX 970) and bios. Nothing in the Windows event viewer. I'm completely stumped.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The interrogation is after White Orchard, don't forget.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

God dammit, why couldn't they put in a "I still love you Yen, but I'm with Triss now" option?

Telling her the magic's gone is just a real dick move. Jesus Geralt, let her down easier than that!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nephthys posted:

God dammit, why couldn't they put in a "I still love you Yen, but I'm with Triss now" option?

Telling her the magic's gone is just a real dick move. Jesus Geralt, let her down easier than that!

During that conversation with Dijkstra and Triss I found it funny how she gets upset at you no matter which way you reply.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Triss is very melodramatic during that scene

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Manatee Cannon posted:

Triss is very melodramatic during that scene

Made it easier to chose Yen, for me.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Triss is cool and all, and i wanna pick a bunch of things differently than my first playthrough... but sorry Triss.

Yen is just on another level, you cant compete . i mean her pun game alone :allears:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Rhaegar posted:

So I've got a weird technical issue that I think is being caused by The Witcher but I'm not 100% certain. After playing The Witcher through GoG for about 1 hour I'll hear this chime from outside the game (like a generic Windows chime) and after that, even though I can continuing playing the game, if I quit out of the game my PC returns to the desktop but is completely frozen. Mouse and keyboard are not functional. Right now this only appears to happen while playing The Witcher. I'm completely at a loss. I'm running Windows 10 with the latest chipset and sata drivers (P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1), latest video card drivers (GTX 970) and bios. Nothing in the Windows event viewer. I'm completely stumped.

I don't know if it's still there on Windows 10, but do you ever get that windows message about "your computer is running slowly, do you want to disable Aero to improve performance?" Even on my GTX-970 that message would come up occasionally, maybe that's causing it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pik_d posted:

Made it easier to chose Yen, for me.

I felt like she was a little over the top every time the subject was brought up. Yennefer gets mad at you about what happened but lets it go; Triss goes on about how "she can't do that again" or something until you tell her you love her, basically. And then she leaves anyway. :v: I dunno, felt like she was playing hard to get or just outright gave up once Yen was back in the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

poopzilla posted:

Triss is cool and all, and i wanna pick a bunch of things differently than my first playthrough... but sorry Triss.

Yen is just on another level, you cant compete . i mean her pun game alone :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgj_Iiu49Q