Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Longinus00 posted:

Is the script located somewhere mounted noexec?

I don't think so.
I made a file that runs echo hello and was able to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I found the problem. I ran the command to install Perl but it Failed.

I'll google around on this issue for a while.

Edit:

At some point while following a tutorial, I created a Perl folder. That screwed up the Perl install.

Deleted the folder, things are starting to move forward!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I found the problem. I ran the command to install Perl but it Failed.

I'll google around on this issue for a while.

Edit:

At some point while following a tutorial, I created a Perl folder. That screwed up the Perl install.

Deleted the folder, things are starting to move forward!

Are you using a package manager or hand rolling everything?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure if this is a *nix problem or a PuTTY problem, so I'll start here. I'm using PuTTY to remote in to a school server and do some stuff. Normally this works fine on my computers, but I'm using one in my lab at school, and I'm seeing strange behavior (and I just checked on my laptop and I'm seeing the same weird poo poo, so *shrug*). The problem is that I can't edit commands, either ones that I'm in the middle of typing or if I use the up arrow to go back. I could swear I used to be able to have a command at the prompt, move the cursor, and edit there. Now if I try that, it's almost like I'm using vim; for instance, if I press 's', that will first delete a character, then start inserting 's's at the cursor. 'a' will move the cursor right. What the hell is going on and how can I get regular command prompt behavior back?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Longinus00 posted:

Are you using a package manager or hand rolling everything?

Some people feel they have to reinvent the wheel, but gentoo is too hard.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

most of the time it's people that use a recent os with good package management but then google "install perl" and the first hit describes an install from source and is from 2005

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

I'm not sure if this is a *nix problem or a PuTTY problem, so I'll start here. I'm using PuTTY to remote in to a school server and do some stuff. Normally this works fine on my computers, but I'm using one in my lab at school, and I'm seeing strange behavior (and I just checked on my laptop and I'm seeing the same weird poo poo, so *shrug*). The problem is that I can't edit commands, either ones that I'm in the middle of typing or if I use the up arrow to go back. I could swear I used to be able to have a command at the prompt, move the cursor, and edit there. Now if I try that, it's almost like I'm using vim; for instance, if I press 's', that will first delete a character, then start inserting 's's at the cursor. 'a' will move the cursor right. What the hell is going on and how can I get regular command prompt behavior back?

Assuming something else isn't broken you may need to change some options in putty under Terminal -> Keyboard. I don't remember exactly what but I do remember having to change something when I started using byobu.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

hooah posted:

You could be in Bash's vi editing mode.

Run "echo $SHELLOPTS" and see if "vi" is anywhere in there. If it is, reset it back to emacs using "set -o emacs".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The shell is tcsh; I emailed the system manager and he said he'd look into it, since it doesn't happen on a different server.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
In tcsh you enable vi-editing mode with "bindkey -v", and disable it with "bindkey -e". See if that helps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

minato posted:

In tcsh you enable vi-editing mode with "bindkey -v", and disable it with "bindkey -e". See if that helps.

Fantastic. Thanks a lot; that was driving me insane.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

RFC2324 posted:

Gentoo is not too hard. It's simpler to maintain long-term than Archlinux, and you have more customization over more aspects of your system. It's actually able to be a desktop and server OS, unlike Arch which can only be a desktop and not a server, and it's generally a bit easier to compile from source than distros like Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

Gentoo has its strengths. It's an awesome distro; you have to want to use Gentoo. If you don't like the ideas behind the distro, don't use it.

nosl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 16, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

nosl posted:

Gentoo is not too hard. It's simpler to maintain long-term than Archlinux, and you have more customization over more aspects of your system. It's actually able to be a desktop and server OS, unlike Arch which can only be a server, and it's generally a bit easier to compile from source than distros like Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

Gentoo has its strengths. It's an awesome distro; you have to want to use Gentoo. If you don't like the ideas behind the distro, don't use it.

That was his point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nosl posted:

Gentoo is not too hard. It's simpler to maintain long-term than Archlinux, and you have more customization over more aspects of your system. It's actually able to be a desktop and server OS, unlike Arch which can only be a server, and it's generally a bit easier to compile from source than distros like Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

I love gentoo, tho I don't really use it much(mostly in a VM so I can play with it, it works wonders for knowing how things break)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

nosl posted:

...gentoo stuff....
It's actually able to be a desktop and server OS, unlike Arch which can only be a server, and it's generally a bit easier to compile from source than distros like Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

This statement about server vs. desktop is obviously wrong, is that what you meant to type? The opposite is perhaps closer to being true.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i just tried fedora's 21 gnome-wayland and its quite nice, runs much better and smoother than xorg

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Was thinking of doing the same, but I've upgraded my install from 19 through 20 to 21, and it's been giving me some strange issues lately. Gotta reinstall but :effort:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

i just tried fedora's 21 gnome-wayland and its quite nice, runs much better and smoother than xorg

Thank you!

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

wooger posted:

This statement about server vs. desktop is obviously wrong, is that what you meant to type? The opposite is perhaps closer to being true.

Yes you are correct I would never run Arch on a server, that's craptastic to the max. Fixed, good catch.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Celexi posted:

Only issue I've found is it seems trackpads are broken with it :(

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Mega Comrade posted:

Only issue I've found is it seems trackpads are broken with it :(

even with synaptics drivers?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Sorry for the lack of effort on my part here, but I tried F21 wayland in a KVM virt and it just produced a blank screen. Is it expected to be working at this point?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm actually not sure. I've never tested Wayland on QXL. Was there anything in the journal about it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

nosl posted:

even with synaptics drivers?

Yeah, it works for the most part but spazes out sometimes, the cursor will also vanish in some windows. Also just discovered logging out freezes my laptop so back to x I go. Still overall very impressive, I'll probably give it another go with Fedora 22.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 16, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah, it works for the most part but spazes out sometimes, the cursor will also vanish in some windows. Also just discovered logging out freezes my laptop so back to x I go. Still overall very impressive, I'll probably give it another go with Fedora 22.

That's odd. Does it work on any other distros?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Quick stupid question: Im using Mint 15 (with KDE) in this PC where I had an ATI video card that died, so I switched to the motherboard integrated graphics (Intel).

Everthing is working fine, except video: I cant play video files, on any player. I suppose its because mint is still using the ATI drivers. How can I switch to the intel ones? I know they are installed, but I cant determine if they are being used.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nosl posted:

That's odd. Does it work on any other distros?

You mean Wayland?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Quick stupid question: Im using Mint 15 (with KDE) in this PC where I had an ATI video card that died, so I switched to the motherboard integrated graphics (Intel).

Everthing is working fine, except video: I cant play video files, on any player. I suppose its because mint is still using the ATI drivers. How can I switch to the intel ones? I know they are installed, but I cant determine if they are being used.

Remove the fglrx/amd drivers. They replace libgl and vdpau with their own.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

evol262 posted:

Remove the fglrx/amd drivers. They replace libgl and vdpau with their own.

Ok, I removed (I think). How do I replace those things?

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

evol262 posted:

You mean Wayland?

Whatever version of whatever DE on whatever version of Wayland on whatever version of the linux kernel, on a different distro

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nosl posted:

Whatever version of whatever DE on whatever version of Wayland on whatever version of the linux kernel, on a different distro
That's a lot of "whatevers" to get in a row on a different distro.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, I removed (I think). How do I replace those things?

They're usually provided by mesa, but I don't know what the package name is on mint.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

evol262 posted:

That's a lot of "whatevers" to get in a row on a different distro.

The question was if he could replicate the issue on a different distro

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nosl posted:

The question was if he could replicate the issue on a different distro

Congrats on pedantically missing the point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

Congrats on pedantically missing the point.

whatever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can anyone recommend a good cli torrent client? preferably one that is easy to set up to read the torrents in a directory and just download(like sabnzbd is for usenet)

TIA

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

RFC2324 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cli torrent client? preferably one that is easy to set up to read the torrents in a directory and just download(like sabnzbd is for usenet)

TIA

rtorrent

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

TIA

transmission-cli

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I've downloaded the Debian unstable mini.iso installer and I can install SID just fine when I burn it to a USB key. But I want to be able to be able to put the iso file onto a USB key with a preseed file on the same key and boot with preseed. I'm able to boot into the installer but when it goes to detect the iso it can't find it on the USB key. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but is anyone else installing Debian this way? How can I get mini.iso to be detected? This has been racking my brain, my grub config for the iso is below:

iso='mini,iso'
menuentry "$iso" {
set iso="/$iso"
set preseed='/hd-media/preseed-work.cfg'
loopback loop $iso
linux /boot/grub/debian/vmlinuz file=$preseed iso-scan/filename=$iso locale=en_US keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap=us languagechooser/language-name=English countrychooser/shortlist=US
initrd /boot/grub/debian/initrd.gz
}

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

I've downloaded the Debian unstable mini.iso installer and I can install SID just fine when I burn it to a USB key. But I want to be able to be able to put the iso file onto a USB key with a preseed file on the same key and boot with preseed. I'm able to boot into the installer but when it goes to detect the iso it can't find it on the USB key. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but is anyone else installing Debian this way? How can I get mini.iso to be detected? This has been racking my brain, my grub config for the iso is below:

iso='mini,iso'
menuentry "$iso" {
set iso="/$iso"
set preseed='/hd-media/preseed-work.cfg'
loopback loop $iso
linux /boot/grub/debian/vmlinuz file=$preseed iso-scan/filename=$iso locale=en_US keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap=us languagechooser/language-name=English countrychooser/shortlist=US
initrd /boot/grub/debian/initrd.gz
}

Is this direct? Is it "mini[comma]iso", or is that a typo in your post?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

evol262 posted:

Is this direct? Is it "mini[comma]iso", or is that a typo in your post?

It was a typo, I've since fixed it and it comes up with the same result, it can't detect the iso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

transmission-cli

Tried both this and rtorrent, transmission was ideal for running on a headless server.

rtorrent would be better for running off a desktop setup, tho.